• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters
Invictum Spiritus (III of ?)

The battle had only been raging for a few hours, but casualties were already pouring in. Along with small waves of soldiers that made it through the city. The bunker inside the mountain was filled with families and noncombatants, but mostly mares, women, foals and children. The healers and their medical teams were stationed closer to the exit, tending to the wide array of damaged warriors and guards. The Loki'irians were all the same: the moment they were healed, they ventured back out to keep fighting. It scared the ponies to see a warrior come in screaming and leave roaring. It had only taken the Loki'irians once to get used to the sight.

Urishana shouted for her aids to clear another bed as a stallion missing a leg was carried in. She tightened the wraps against the arm of her current patient before making her way over. “I need a scan!” The Signa to her right held his hands over the unconscious pony, his energy wafting out over his body.

“Infection spreading. He needs blood and a Linak,” the Signa said, jabbing a needle into the bloody stub of a limb.

“Gortot!” Urishana shouted. Another man rushed over with his hands glowing in energy. “Work on the blood loss and I'll stop the bleeding.”

Linak were specialty healers. They were the only healers that could grow back limbs and organs. If the patient was still breathing there wasn't anything they couldn't replace. Urishana placed her hands on the weeping flesh and channeled her energy, forcing the skin to form a healthy stump and rework the limb. Gortot was still replacing blood cells while she left to help another incoming patient.

“Solbaka!” Gunfire rattled the cavern, the entrance flashing as the sentries gunned down a small group.

Urishana yanked a tooth out from the screaming Signa’s skull as another doctor fished in a wound for shrapnel. She gave him a painkiller as she healed his head, another warrior holding down the flailing man. To her right, she saw a few ponies stumbling in, one carrying half the body of another pony with a dead look in her eyes. Urishana finished patching the gash and rushed over with a Mortary. These were Loki'irians meant to take the dead away to be preserved. He grabbed the carcass quickly, but the mare carrying him screamed as she lashed out. Urishana caught the blade, her hand as tough as steel. She twisted the metal and ripped it off before pinning her down.

“Get off! Cutter! Cutter!” she screeched, fighting helplessly against the power of the Signa. “He can make it! Cutter! CUTTER!”

“HE'S GONE,” Urishana roared to her. “You're never going to see him again! Do you understand?!” The mare continued to shriek his name and flailed against the Signa. Her armor’s blue light began to settle her, and Urishana slowly let go of her.

It was a common sight for her… but never once did she get used to it. She glanced to the blood soaking the mare's tail and lower half, obviously not hers. Her sobs were accompanied by her shaking as she curled up. “I'm sorry… I'm sorry, Cutter…”

Urishana looked down at her, clenching her fist before exhaling softly. Despite the chaos around them, she kneeled down and carefully scooped her up into her arms. The mare gasped at the sudden weightlessness, fidgeting to look up at the motherly giant. Urishana offered her a smile and stroked her neck, which brought the mare back to tears in an instant. She slowly walked through the massive room of doctors and patients to a different cavern. There were mostly ponies and some Loki'irians, but the room was for the most part noisy. Not chatter or excitement. Wailing, sobbing, shouting. This was a place for mourning… a place to find someone to talk to.

Scanning the room, Urishana made her way through the groups of mourning and towards the back. She spotted who she was looking for and rose her hand. “Fluttershy.” Her ears perked up and she looked to the healer before nodding. Fluttershy left a couple of guards she was with and flew to meet her. “She just returned from the front. I believe she needs the utmost care right now.”

She gently set the sniffling mare down, stroking her ear one last time before hurrying back to the entrance. Fluttershy could see the defeat and hopelessness. She'd already spoken to so many like her, and within the next few hours she doubted that would change. A shudder rattled the guardsmare as she whispered to herself. Fluttershy slowly moved to her side and sat down. She didn't have to say anything. All she needed to do was be patient. And caring for her animals had sharpened that trait to a T.

A wing moved to the mare's mane and pushed it out of her face. The mare could only resume her crying as she leaned into Fluttershy. After a minute of weeping she hurriedly pulled herself away.

“I-I’m sorry,” she managed to say, examining Fluttershy's coat. “I didn't want… I didn't-”

“Your armor cleans you up,” Fluttershy interjected, gesturing to her suit. The mare looked at her plated hoof, her surprise growing as she looked at her gleaming armor. “Um, my name's Fluttershy.”

The guardsmare nervously sat back down, avoiding eye contact. “I know,” she murmured, “What guard doesn't know the Element of Kindness?”

Fluttershy smiled and scooted closer. “And what's your name?”

“I'm… Golden Arch.” She reverted back to being quiet, awkwardly listening to Fluttershy's humming. “Is… is there a reason… I'm here?”

“Well, I’m here to help… ponies, mostly.” Fluttershy gave her a small smile and put a hoof on her shoulder. “If you don’t mind me asking, how did you get here?”

Arch sniffled, her lip quivering as she thought back to the hour prior. “I… I was… stationed with Captain Shining Armor,” she croaked, rubbing her eye gently. “He told our squadron to defend the cannons. My… my-”

“Shhhh.” Fluttershy could see how close she was to breaking down again. “Slowly.”

She grit her teeth to suppress the sobs as another tear rolled its way down her cheek. “They came… they were making a push for the cannons and… they dropped behind us.” Arch lowered her head and shook with every breath she took. “Cutter… got trapped with them… and… and…” With a violent shout she tore off her helmet and grabbed her head. ‘They tore him apart and I couldn’t save him! When we got to him he was still alive, but we couldn’t find his legs and there was blood everywhere and… and I couldn't just leave him there! I told him I was gonna help but he... he’s…”

The final dam broke, and Arch wailed as loud as she could. Fluttershy guided her close, letting her cry and sob into her chest as she hugged her tightly. She cried Cutter’s name over and over, apologizing to him and blaming herself for it all. Others nearby watched her for some time before giving in to their own experiences. Fluttershy had hated seeing good ponies suffer, but this was on another level. Never had she even the slightest thought of something like what Arch had gone through. And for it to happen to her friend… maybe a best friend… there weren’t words to say. Which was exactly why she was there.

It took a bit for Arch to exhaust herself, reduced to sniffles and whimpers once her voice had been strained enough. Fluttershy stroked her mane gently, straightening the bright red streaks and occasionally humming. Her mother had done this whenever a thunderstorm was scheduled. She could always count on her mother’s soothing voice and her warm coat to comfort her in the scariest of times. After the first few times she spoke to the ponies that had been fighting, she understood why she was here. These guards and warriors needed comfort. They had trauma that needed to be tended to immediately, and what better way to treat it than with a new friend? Fluttershy’s ears rose as the cavern shook again.

“We’re all gonna die.” Fluttershy looked down at Arch as she sniffled. “I’m gonna die here.”

Fluttershy sighed quietly and continued playing with her mane. “You don’t know that,” she quietly responded.

The guardsmare shook her head and sat up, her hooves wrapped around herself. “They don’t stop coming… and we barely have enough of them to help us fight back,” Arch said. She closed her eyes and let another tear escape. “We can’t win, Ms. Fluttershy… everypony knows it.”

With a stomp of her hoof, Fluttershy stood up and loomed over Arch. “My friends are out there too, and we all know how dangerous it is,” Fluttershy firmly told her, almost in Arch’s face. “We have a plan, and we have Draco. What would your friend tell you if he saw you giving up like this?”

Arch’s ears stood forward as she readied to retort, but Fluttershy’s words cut deep. She looked away and bit her tongue. Fluttershy’s expression softened at her patient’s reaction. They had all signed up for this, and Figanti had done a good job of reminding them what they were fighting for. Giving up wasn’t an option. No pony or Loki’irian knew if their plan would work a hundred percent, but trying was all they had. Everypony inside and outside the cavern were fighting for the ones they loved. Arch lost one of her loved ones, but giving up would make their death meaningless. Fluttershy sat back down beside her, letting the noise around them fill the silence. Crying and sobbing, an occasional breakdown of yelling. She peered over at Arch, who was clenching her teeth as tears streamed down her cheeks.

“I’m… I’m never gonna… see him…” Fluttershy’s wing wrapped around her. “I… I couldn’t save him.”

Fluttershy felt tears brimming her eyes as she pulled Arch into another hug. “He knows you tried… everypony does,” Fluttershy whispered. Arch’s hooves reached around Fluttershy and hugged tightly, her crying resuming once more. “Don’t give up… for everypony you care about.”

Arch’s hooves squeezed tighter, whimpers escaping as another wave of gunfire echoed in the chambers. Fluttershy looked up at the banner above them hanging from the ceiling. Draco’s insignia proudly watched over those who needed it most. She smiled and looked at the band around her hoof.

Please, Draco… hurry.


Moon spat out the taste of Arthanian blood and shoved the dead soldier off. A bestial pulled him out of the way of a mace and launched him at the soldier. He clamped his jaws over its neck and thrashed violently until it went limp. A cry echoed in the hall as Niraka was pushed against the wall by a pair of soldiers, their spears digging into her torso. Orgos grabbed their heads from behind and crushed their skulls before helping Niraka remove the spears. Another squad of soldiers was barreling towards them further down. They were coming from the bridge. There were fewer and fewer with every wave sent. Orgos yapped at the two bestials closest to him, the three forming up together. Energy flowed through their bodies and rapidly climbed.

Altogether, they shot toward the group ahead and bashed straight into their lines. They stampeded over the soldiers, crushing most and throwing others aside. Moon and the others rushed over to finish any stragglers and kept moving. They turned with the hall and saw an entrance. Malshuom changed back and hurried over to the console, typing in several symbols as quickly as he could. He shouted out loud and slammed his fist on the console.

“They've locked us out,” he told them. “We have to pry it open.” Orgos reverted halfway back, his arms and legs still retaining his Bestial qualities.

A roar echoed along the walls, raising each of their ears in alert. “Orgos…” Moon felt the hairs on his body standing at attention.

The man quickly pulled Malshuom and another bestial over and shoved his axe into the meeting of the pieces of the door. “We have to get this open now!” The men slipped their fingers in and pulled with all their might, the metal doors creaking as they were torn apart.

Another roar came, followed by thundering footsteps and the sounds of a bashing and tearing. Niraka formed up with the Bestials as they formed a line, Moon joining them as his breaths came shorter and shorter. “Keep it back! They'll have it open soon!” Niraka ordered. The fear in her voice didn't go unnoticed, but each beast stood firmly.

Moon looked down the hall in horror as a monster came scrambling around the corner. It was enormous, barely fitting in the narrow halls of the dreadnought. Two enormous tusks protruded from the sides of its maw, a mess of teeth and slobber. Six eyes frantically switched between them, accompanied by six powerful legs that sent it hurtling towards them. A Gungrich. Monsters with incredible strength and a mindless urge to kill.

Orgos glanced to the charging beast, its presence pushing the Bestials to pull the door harder. “Moon!” he shouted. “Stay away from it!”

Moon had heard of the beasts. Stories of Gungrich killing powerful Nera’ak and Signa alike. But they needed every able body to take it down. Without normal Signa powers, the Bestials would have to rely on their own strength and cunning.

“Niraka!” Moon called, shaking her from her terror. “What do we do?”

The Gungrich was halfway down the hall, tearing into the floor as it sprinted with its jaws open in a screech. She turned to two Bestials beside them. “We’re going to charge it! Get behind it and be ready to cripple its back legs!” They nodded firmly, and she turned to him. “Moon, you’ll need to help support from behind. Aim for its eyes. Do NOT engage it. Run if you must.”

He firmly nodded, his mounted blasters arming as he let the Bestials charge ahead. He and another Bestial sprinted behind them at a distance, firing at the monster’s six eyes. It’s tough hide shrugged off each shot, it's flailing making any attempt at precise shots impossible. The two Bestial Niraka had chosen to flank ran closer to the walls, the creature ready to meet them. It planted its back four legs on the ground and launched itself towards them, the front legs coiling back for a swipe. The two Bestials near the walls jumped onto each separate wall and launched themselves in unison at the beast’s midsection. Niraka had already followed up with a staggering headbutt to its jaw.

The Gungrich slammed backwards, the two Bestials tumbling along with it as they clawed and bit at its thick hide. Moon fired at its legs as it thrashed about, its six arms swinging around as it fumbled to recover. The Bestials surrounded the monster, firing their weapons or weaving around its massive limbs to bite a hunk of flesh away. The Gungrich smacked away Niraka as she went to swipe at its exposed belly, sending her into the wall. It shot its six legs out to the walls and flipped over, slamming a Bestial beneath one of its feet. Another leg smacked the flanking Bestials away, launching them to the end of the hall. Moon aimed his blaster at its face, backing up as the amount of Signa between them got smaller and smaller.

It roared as a shot nicked an eye, black blood squirting out and oozing down its face. Moon jumped back as it slammed a leg down on him and rolled to his paws to keep firing. The Gungrich rose its front two legs to block the shots as it advanced. Niraka shot past him and shouted a gap to the Bestial’s behind the Gungrich. They came up from behind and tackled its back legs, forcing the monster to fall forward. Right into Niraka. She was already mid leap when it's ugly head came into view. Her claws dug in deep into its skull, a cry of pain ringing in their ears. It thrashed about desperately, crushing a Bestial against the wall several times until he went limp. His partner roared ferociously before leaping onto it and clinging like Niraka.

Moon could only watch in horror as Niraka was crushed against the wall again and again as she tore into its head. She let out a weak roar as she reached down and gouged out the rest of its eyes. Moon had never heard such a scream come from anything as demonic as the Gungrich. All six eyes were now gone, but it looked as though it only made it even angrier. It slammed itself against the wall again, losing the Bestial on its back. Moon’s partner bounded out quickly to save him from another stomp. Niraka still held on, its blood soaking her armor as she continued to carve into its head. The Gungrich tried shaking her off, tearing her off, even headbutting her into the wall. But she refused to let go.

“Niraka! That's enough!” the Bestial across from Moon shouted. “Let go! Niraka!”

With a harrowing screech, the Gungrich grabbed hold of her with two of its legs. Moon would never forget her scream as the monster squashed her arm and crumpled the armor around her. It brought her up and smashed her into the floor. The Bestials across roared in hatred, charging once again and slamming into the Gungrich’s back. Before either could keep going, they were torn away by an invisible force. Moon felt a gust of wind, heard a deafening crack of bone, and watched as the Gungrich was launched to the end of the hall. Orgos reared his head back and let loose his war cry, standing over Niraka’s prone body and beating his chest. One of the creature’s tusks landed beside him as he rushed to retrieve it.

Pointing its end at the Gungrich, Orgos slammed his free hand into the ground and bellowed at the monster. It returned the cry and began charging again. Orgos held the tusk firmly and took off to meet it, neither slowing down in the slightest. With a powerful roar, both shot into the air. But the Gungrich was silenced when its own tusk was rammed through the bottom of its jaw and out the top of its head. Orgos launched them into the ceiling, pinning it there like a prize. He roared at the corpse with all the fury and hatred he could muster, blood soaking him as it gushed out from the wound.

Moon could never get over the power of Signa. He shook from his awe and hurried over to Niraka, Malshuom joining him immediately. “Niraka! Niraka, can you hear me?!” Moon shouted, gently pulling her helmet off.

She whimpered as her armor struggled to untangle itself from her own flesh. “I… m-my… arm.” Moon’s armor received her own suit’s scans. Her shoulder was nearly powder, and she had so many tears and fractures it didn't even look like an arm.

“We need a healer! She won't survive if we don't get her off this ship!” Malshuom shouted. The Bestial that had been supporting with Moon carried their dead comrade over. “Orgos!”

Their Beta landed and ran over, looking over her. “Tuvek (Fuck)” he growled, reaching into his suit’s gel compartment. “They're on the ships. We must wait for reinforcements to get her there.” He injected the gel into her suit, a soft gasp of pain escaping her strained throat. “Malshuom, give her his gel. He won't be needing it anymore.”

Malshuom frowned softly as he gently removed the healing gel from his pack member’s suit. “Ot Minira’et hamaruet, eroklo (To Minira’s gardens, brother)” he whispered. Orgos held Niraka’s good hand firmly, his other grabbing her chest plates.

“I must remove your armor from your chest, Niraka,” he told her softly. “Your chest is collapsed and the armor is preventing you from healing.”

A choked sob escaped as she squeezed his hand. “Do… do it!” she gasped, struggling for air.

He deftly pulled the armor out of her chest, and she let out a bloodcurdling scream of anguish. Then, she went silent. “Niraka!” Moon yelled.

“She's alive, Moon,” Orgos snarled. He watched as her armor crackled and soaked her in the medicinal gel. “You were amazing, Niraka… stay with us. You'll be home soon.”

Moon peered behind them. The way was clear, the metal doors bending outward with glaring tears and distortions. “We can't advance like this,” Malshuom said aloud. “Orgos, we must alert Inagro and request assistance.”

“Of course,” he said. “Moon, you will stay with Malshuom’s pup and wait for the others. Malshuom and I will push ahead.”

Malshuom’s brow furrowed and he stood up with a growl. “Orgos, we cannot take the bridge alone!” Orgos stood up, his face in Malshuom’s as the two were pitted for dominance.

“There are nothing but soldiers and an Alpha! We do not have the time to wait! They could fire the Vegdor at any moment!” Orgos snapped back. Malshuom hesitated but reaffirmed himself. “We wait, Orgos. That is final.”

Before Orgos could retort, their comms crackled to life. ”Orgos. Malshuom. I'm on the way with the rest of our packs. Are you at the bridge?”

Malshuom turned his communicator on instantly. “Inagro! We have a casualty and Niraka needs a healer immediately!” he said hastily. “You need to hurry before they send more!”

They could hear Inagro growl lowly. ”I'm sending Hutono and a pup ahead to escort her. The rest of you hold your position. We’re coming.” The channel went down, and Orgos huffed loudly before sitting beside Niraka.

“Forgive me, Niraka,” he said quietly. Malshuom went over to his fallen comrade, taking the man’s weapon and placing a hand on his forehead.

Moon looked away as the man prayed in Neric, his other pack members silent as they mourned. He laid beside Niraka and nuzzled her cheek, looking over her wounds once more. Even though she’d fainted from the pain, she looked peaceful. As though she were asleep. He sighed softly and stood back up, arming his blaster and stretching himself out.

“I'll be on guard,” he told Orgos. The Bestial nodded before going back to comforting Niraka.

She’s as tough as her brother, Orgos. She'll make it back. Just hang on, Niraka.


Figanti’s face was contorted with immense effort as he swung a cruiser around like a glorified hammer. With a booming roar he launched it into the side of a dreadnought, the explosion chaining into a massive detonation. He panted as he hung in the air and looked up into the sky. The dreadnought he'd taken out was already replaced with dozens more breaking through the atmosphere. He took a deep breath, steadying his breathing before focusing his energy into his palms. Before he could fire at the ships, he felt a hand on his shoulder. Renkan shook her head firmly.

“Save your energy. We need the League as full as possible,” she reminded him sternly. Figanti growled but listened, knowing she was right. “We’re losing our footing at the edge of the city. We've too many casualties and too many tiring already.”

The battle had only raged for the first half of the day, but the sun stood high in the sky. They'd agreed with Celestia to keep the day going until the battle ceased. It would trick the ponies’ inner clock and help them stay awake for the fighting. Of course, their suits would also help treat their fatigue. For as long as possible. Even so, nonstop fighting was already taking its toll.

“We must hold out as long as we can. The more we make them fight, the more time we give Reku’un.” Renkan nodded and adjusted her grip on her dragon’s reigns. “We still need to push them back. Let our forces breathe. I'm summoning the Oracles.”

He could just tell she was smirking beneath her helmet. “Make sure they put the bastards through Nedafan.” She took off with her dragon back towards the castle, joined by a squadron of Signa.

A comm link was established on his communicator, and he waited for a response. ”Yes, Uncle?”

“Jaqeluu. It's time.” There was the sound of fighting, and an explosion rang in the back. Said explosion was off in the distance as a cruiser fell to the Earth.

“Uncle, it's too soon.”

“I understand, but we need to give the infantry some help. They've been under siege relentlessly,” he replied. A dreadnought cannon turned its attention to him. The massive shell screamed through the air, and Figanti smirked as he held his hand out. The shell landed perfectly in his palm, and he pulled his leaned back and flung it where it came from.

“Let the men know. Make sure they stay alert.”



Jaqeluu rose his arm with a massive wall of energy following, a volley of cannon fire slamming into his barricade. His dragon snarled as its maw opened and fire gathered in its throat. With a guttural groan, a massive fireball propelled itself at the cruiser that had been firing. The ship was rocked violently, the port side cannons getting obliterated. Jaqeluu opened another comm link as he guided his Nera’ak back to the city.

“Oracles of Loki’ir, our time has come.” Three other Signa linked in at once.

“Which of us shall go first?” a monotone voice questioned.

Jaqeluu looked over the battlefield briefly. Their presence outside the city was slowly dwindling with the amount of dreadnoughts entering the battle. They needed to cut off the flow long enough for them to regain their foothold.

“Malkai, you're first. Head to the dreadnoughts and release,” Jaqeluu ordered. “Oviq, you’ll help next. Then I and Trenk will finish.”

A resounding approval ended their comm. Jaqeluu heard a public comm open, Figanti’s face appearing at the top right of his helmet’s HUD. “Warriors, we’re sending the Oracles to assist the fight in Canterlot. If you're on the front, do not relent for a second! Secure as much ground as you can and reinforce any valuable positions!”

Out of the corner of his eye, he could make out an enormous yellow Nera’ak flying through cannon fire and fighter shots towards the dreadnoughts. It slammed straight into one’s side and disappeared inside. Jaqeluu shuddered as he felt it. It wasn't energy, it was something much more powerful. Emotion. Feelings of anger and hatred, malice and fury. It overwhelmed him with how concentrated it was, spurring his own thoughts. He took a deep breath and sat on his Nera’ak comfortably, his hands locking into a symbol.

Oracles were a sage group of Signa. They had the powers and strength of any normal Signa, but they also had one key difference. Their emotions were extremely potent. An Oracle’s energy could be influenced by powerful emotions. Each result was different, but they caused great destruction or bountiful assistance. However, in order to use this power they would have to release the emotional energy. In order to do so, they spent their lives repressing such feelings. For when they let out their mental powers, they would also have to deal with the raw emotions in the air. That's where Jaqeluu came in.

He breathed slowly and meticulously. The rage Malkai let loose would send the citizens of Earth into frenzies if left unattended. To deal with this, another Oracle would absorb the emotions another let loose. This would prevent any catastrophe and give another Oracle the ability to release such power at a later time. Jaqeluu felt the unfiltered wrath of his companion and channeled it into his very being. His body tensed with every idea that came into his mind to lash out. Memories surfaced of his dying homeworld’s last days. He fought the feelings entering his mind with memories of his mother. He recalled the wife he had loved so dearly, and the planet he had sworn to protect.

His eyes cracked open, just in time to see blood red tendrils of energy tearing apart the dreadnought Malkai had gone into. The energy would react to the emotions he let loose, and just as erratically. A tremendous explosion blasted apart any fighters and cruisers near the epicenter, covering the sky in smoke and debris. The tendrils shot out from the cloud of black and flew in every direction, swiping at anything nearby and piercing more and more dreadnoughts. Jaqeluu smirked as the blob of energy began to jerk around. It began to take a form at the center of its mass, a head growing with glowing eyes and a cracked mouth. A heart stopping cry boomed throughout the battlefield and drew the attention of every dreadnought in the area.

Malkai. Stay on the dreadnoughts. Don't let them through to the city.

The first Oracles had discovered they would go mindless when they released their power. Malkai in particular couldn't control himself with his release of anger. But they could aim him. Each Oracle could whisper commands to whoever was releasing at the moment and influence them subconsciously. To be safe, however, Jaqeluu wanted Malkai as far from the city as possible.



Shining Armor grunted as he clutched the gash in his leg, a healer mending his wound closed. The Alpha laid dead just a few meters away in a pool of its own blood. He grimaced at the sight of the dead regulars and ponies that surrounded it. If it hadn't been for the Arakla riders he would have joined them. The Signa squadron was currently gathering their dead, one watching the battle outside and waiting for any attacks. Shining glanced up to see how the battle was going, and his eyes shot open. He watched the massive creature in the sky halt the advances of the Arthanians all at once.

“What in Tartarus is that?” he gasped softly. His healer snickered and finished fixing his leg, giving it a firm squeeze.

“The power of an Oracle,” he said proudly. “Captain, once their onslaught returns we’ll need to abandon the cannons at some point.”

Shining nodded solemnly. The Alpha had wiped most of his squadrons out, but now he had the Signa. Even so, they could only handle so many waves before another mutant wore them down as well. “We’ll set charges on the artillery to make sure they don't use them against us,” he announced, standing back up. “For now we’ll focus them on any stragglers from that mess up there.”

The Signa gathering the dead sent their comrades with one of their warriors back to the bunkers. “If only we could get to that Vegdor, eh?” a warrior chuckled. “We’re waiting for the dragons to position the artillery they've commandeered. Then it'll just be up to the dreadnought we’ve besieged.”

“Let's hope they make it in time,” Shining weakly laughed. He trotted closer to the shield protecting Canterlot to see the battle raging beneath them.

It tore him up to not be able to help. But they needed the cannons to keep them from getting overrun when the fighting kicked back into high gear. For now he would have to ignore the fact he was safe now. He turned toward Ponyville, the small city off in the distance. He could see plumes of smoke and explosions in the air.

“Be careful, Twily.”

His armor rang an alarm as more portals began opening in atmosphere. The Signa sheathed their blades and drew their rifles. One pulled a large cube from their back that transformed into a long machine with six rotating tubes. Shining turned the cannons onto the newcomers immediately. More dreadnoughts and cruisers poured out from the portals, breaking through the clouds within minutes. The stream of cannon fire crippled the first few ships that made it into the atmosphere but allowed the rest to spread further. One dreadnought hung above the incoming armada and flew away from their battle. Shining focused his blasters on the soldiers dropping into their area as the Signa defended the cannons.

“Any squads in Canterlot, we need reinforcements at the Castle!” Shining barked into his comms. A scout fell on top of him and pinned him to the ground. His armor beeped and sent shocks through the surfaces of his suit. The scout fell back into a fit of convulsions, and Shining shot it in the head. “They've opened more portals! Everypony keep your guard up!”

He looked to the dreadnought as it moved west, ignoring the battle around it and charging away. Shining opened another comm to the dragon frontier.

“There's a dreadnought heading west from Canterlot Castle. We can't deal with it right now, so be advised!” he shouted, bucking a scout behind him. “They've opened more portals now. We’ll try to deal with as many as we can. Get as much artillery and tech as you can from them!”

“GOVEK!” Shining grit his teeth as another large and deformed Arthanian dropped in.

He aimed his blasters and immediately pummeled it with a hail of shots. Unlike before, his men could fight it evenly. A Signa shot a hand out, ice bursting out from his palm and to the Alpha. It’s arm covered itself in black energy and it swung into the oncoming attack, shattering the ice. Another rushed forward, continuously firing his rifle and forcing it to raise an arm up. As he got closer, he pulled his left arm back and opened his palm, lava gushing out like a faucet. Once he was close enough, he swung his arm out at the Alpha. It roared as the magma splashed onto its fur, searing deep into its skin. The ice Signa sprayed the monster in frost, freezing it solid.

Cracks chipped out from its head, and the Signa rose their hands and put up a small barrier of energy. Dark energy erupted from its mouth, slamming into their shields and pushing them back forcefully. Shining shot a smaller beam into its cheek and cut off its stream of energy. It snarled and glares its ugly eyes into his soul, the burns on its body healing right before his eyes.

“Just what I needed. Signa magic fighting against us,” Shining grimly chuckled.

It started to advance on him but th Signa growled loudly to regain its attention, their armors’ lights glowing red.

“We’re going to take it away from here, Captain,” the ice Signa called. “We’ll be back soon. Keep those cannons safe.”

Both of their energies flared, and the Alpha kept up as it waited for the impending attack. With a burst of speed, both Signa shot forward and tackled the Alpha off of the mountainside and into the battle below. Shining galloped to the dome and watched as they fell to the Earth beneath the city.

The men's’ dragons growled in frustration when they received orders to stay with him from their partners. Shining winced as he heard the loud blaring of the dreadnoughts above. Almost immediately, the Arthanian ships started to move away from the city. Dropships still came in, but the rest of the fleet put distance between themselves and Canterlot. He looked to the enemy Vegdor, noticing it was glowing. A public comm opened up right away, and Figanti’s grunts and roars were audible.

”They’re charging their Vegdor!”

If it hadn't been for the soldiers pouring in, Shining would've been locked in place. He pummeled a soldier’s head with his hoof before linking to the comm.

“Get in position to fire!” Shining shouted, rolling to get another scout off. “We have to take it out now.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys. Hope I haven't lost all of you just yet. It's been a long time since my last update, but hopefully you guys won't hate me for that. I'm not promising anymore chapters anytime soon, but just know they're coming. I'm gonna finish this story, I promise you. So, as always, remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night. Peaces!

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 9 )

Oh, shit. Wasn't expecting this.

I completely forgot this existed

Always awesome to see a fic update after a long hiatus.

hummm is alive?

I was just thinking about this....



YESYESYESYES

Is it still alive is the question?

8875682 Yes. The next chapter is almost done. I just have a lot going on at the moment

10080091
What, two years ain't that long.

Please tell me this hasn't died

Login or register to comment