• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
A Night Gone Awry


Moon shifted in place, anxiously waiting for Fluttershy. He assumed Draco was still with Rainbow, or he had probably gone home since the sun was halfway over the horizon. Either way, it didn't matter. He had asked Fluttershy to dinner a week before, and so now he awaited for the shy mare. He hadn't specified where they were going to eat, as it was going to be a surprise for her. He quit his mumbling and moving when the door slowly creaked open.

"M-Moon?" Fluttershy squeaked, half of her face visible through the crack.

"Yes, it's me Fluttershy," he smiled. She smiled back, then opened the door completely. Moon's jaw slowly fell open as he saw her ensemble for the night.

She had a beautiful earthen green gown on with a stunning headpiece and a flower tucked between the strands of her mane. The grooves near the hem of the dress also added a sort of awkward magnificence to her. Fluttershy blushed at his staring, and smiled sheepishly as his eyes began wandering.

"I-Is it too much?" she whispered, barely audible even for his keen hearing.

Moon gulped silently and shook his head. "N-No, not at all," Moon laughed, mentally smacking himself for not wearing an equally nice suit. "You… look amazing."

Her blush only deepened as she returned the smile shyly. "Th-Thank you," she managed. "You… um, look nice… too."

Moon nodded with a small laugh and gestured towards the town. "Should we be going?" Moon asked kindly.

Fluttershy giggled sweetly and nodded, walking beside him as they entered the downtown of Ponyville. "S-So, where are we going? I mean, it would be nice… to know," she said softly.

Smiling to her, Moon shrugged. "I just thought I might… surprise you," he said, looking for the correct streets. "Ah… we're here."

Fluttershy glanced up at the sign, and she gasped quite loudly when she saw the large neon sign. "Gourmandises de Primrose?!" Fluttershy exclaimed in Prench.

Moon laughed at her abnormal shout and smiled. "You said you always dreamed of coming here," Moon chuckled. "I thought you'd like to come."

"But… but it costs a fortune!" Fluttershy told him. "I-I don't want you to-"

"It's fine, Fluttershy," Moon laughed with a dismissive wave. "I'm Prince Moon, remember? I'm sure my mother won't mind a hundred or so bits from the hundreds of thousands they have."

She still lookd between him and the fine establishment, guilt beginning to well up in her chest. "A-Are you sure?" Fluttershy whispered.

Moon admired how guilty she felt because of his surprise. He remembered when he had acted the same way when Draco had him eat the last of their meal when he was a boy, and they were going back to the King's mountain. "I'm sure, Fluttershy," Moon smiled. "Come. I've already set the reservations."

She nodded and kept by his side as he walked passed the line of waiting ponies. Moon only needed to look at the host for her to realise who he was. The other ponies silenced their murmurs of jeers and insults and bowed just as the others.

"Right zis way, please," the orange mare said. She guided them upstairs, to one of the most expensive seats.

Fluttershy looked in wonder at the water beneath their hooves, which had been enchanted to support them and keep from wetting them. Various dimly colored lights shone from inside the water, giving off a welcoming glow. She sat across from Moon on a seat away from the others, with a vase filled with roses and two gem crusted goblets.

"Your waiter will be along shortly, your Highness," the mare bowed.

"Please, Moon is just fine," he chuckled, taking a seat. "Thank you."

She nodded and hurried downstairs, leaving the two to admire the beautiful décor of the restaurant. Their seat gave them an amazing view of the night-time Ponyville. Though it wasn't as lively as Manehatten, the few streetlights and nice hotspots made up for it. Canterlot could be seen off in the distance, sitting atop the cliffside. Moon looked past Fluttershy and over to the outlines of mountains… the dragon mountains. A vague memory of Draco's rage shook him slightly, making him remember the faces of the generals he lost. Fluttershy noticed his growing frown and the silent shudder, prompting her to question it.

"I-Is something wrong?" Fluttershy asked.

Moon shook from his flashback and looked up to the pegasus mare. "Not at all," he smiled. "Just… a thought."

"Good evening," a thin and young stallion greeted. "May I ask what eet ees you'll be having this fine evening?"

These are true Prench ponies. I thought it was just for show.

"Um…" Fluttershy hummed softly, unsure of what would be nice.

" La carotte et la betterave sera pour la jument. Donnez-moi le chou et l'oignon rôti avec un côté de la patate douce et l'épice secrète. (The carrot and beets will be for the mare. Give me the cabbage and onion roast with a side of sweet potato and the secret spice)" Moon said in perfect Prench.

The waiter looked astonishedly at Moon, a smile beginning to form. "Vous parlez prançais? (You speak Prench?!)"

Moon nodded with a smile. "Oui. Je l'ai appris quand j'étais jeune (Yes. I learned it when I was young)" He chuckled. " Si vous n'avez pas l'esprit, l'eau et le vin serait bien (If you don't mind, water and wine would be nice)"

"Bien sûr, bien sûr! (Of course, of course!)" he smiled, trotting back downstairs.

Fluttershy looked at him with a questioning look. "I ordered us some dinner, and water for you is fine, yes?" Moon smiled.

She nodded slowly. "When did you learn to speak Prench?" Fluttershy asked.

"Long ago. I was travelling away from my cave for once, and I wandered far enough to Prance," Moon chuckled. "They hunted me after seeing me marvel at the beautiful Eiffel Tower."

Fluttershy expected him to be a bit saddened, but he kept smiling.

"I picked up a tourist's Equestrian/Prench dictionary and ran as fast as I could," Moon laughed, wiping a paw over his eye.

"It didn't bother you?" Fluttershy questioned. Moon's smile dimmed, and he sat up.

"Not as much as it used to," he sighed. "I had already seen those reactions… it wasn't different because it was different ponies. Still… I could understand. Ponykind has never been very accepting of different things… especially when it just pops up."

"Well… none of us think badly about you, Moon," Fluttershy said, doing her best to cheer him up. "We really like you… all of us."

Moon nodded with a smile, his eyes widening as he felt Fluttershy's hoof touch his paw. His tail flicked suddenly, and a deep blush formed.

"I-I… like you a lot, too… I mean… not like the girls… but-" Moon silenced her by holding her hoof gently, drawing color to her cheeks.

"I… I think I understand," Moon smiled. "I… like you as well… i-if that's what you meant. You did mean it that way as well… yes?"

Fluttershy tried speaking, but only managed a nervous squeak and smile. She nodded a bit slowly, and Moon felt his heart flutter about.

"Your orders!" Their waiter from before returned with their dinners, using his magic to levitate the dishes onto the table.

The two released each other and looked to the delicious smelling food. Moon preferred (wanted) a meatier meal, but for Fluttershy's sake he decided to just have a vegetable dish like her. His wine and her water were set to the sides of their plates and the waiter bowed.

"Amusez-vous! (Enjoy!)" He nodded, winking to the two.

Moon ignored it and took a deep whiff of the dinner. "This looks delicious," Fluttershy smiled.

"But how does it taste?" Moon smirked. Fluttershy giggled and grabbed her fork, as did Moon with a bit of difficulty.




Fluttershy laughed as Moon retold her of the times he and Draco messed with Ember during a few recitals from the wind instrument section of the royal orchestra. "And then… Draco starts poking her with a stick and hid in front of my seat," Moon laughed, wiping his paw over his face. "Ahh, Ember tackled him after it was over… but it was still pretty funny."

"She didn't burn him?" Fluttershy giggled.

"She tried, believe me!" Moon chuckled. "If his room was like any other it would have been burned down. His bed was gone, though, and we ended up sharing a bed for a few days."

Fluttershy shook her head with a giggle, her wings shifting anxiously as she stepped just a bit closer to him. "I-It sounds like the three of you had lots of fun," she stated, trying to distract herself.

"We did," Moon exhaled. "And she might not remember it… but I can see her getting crumbs of memories. Draco used to make us laugh always… even if he was training nonstop to fight. But… there is one thing she still remembers, but won't admit."

The pegasus mare tilted her head questioningly, accidentally leaning it onto his broad shoulder. Moon's head perked up and he spun his head towards her, blushing when he accidentally pressed his snout against her muzzle. Their pace slowed considerably, almost stopping completely as they reached the trail to her home. Moon couldn't look away from the pools of green that made up Fluttershy's eyes. He could smell the faint bit of shampoos that she had used earlier. Only, his nose made the smell mulitply by a thousand and one, and he could feel his heart-rate climbing.

Fluttershy whispered frantically to herself, mentally of course, to raise her head but she just didn't want to leave the strong cushion of his shoulder. Her cheeks felt like furnaces as they were practically breathing on each other, their lips barely an inch apart. "W-W-What… w-what does sh-she remember?" Fluttershy stammered wildly.

Moon gulped, trying his hardest to find words instead of whimpers and grunts. "Sh-She… she… she still…" He moved just the slightest inch forward, making her eyes widen and her face reach the brightest scarlet he had ever seen. "…loves… him…"

Just like her personality and her touch… she was soft. Her lips gently puckered against his felt amazing, so much that he could feel his legs wobbling weakly and his paws numbing. They were still walking under the crescent moon above, right to her door. But they refused to stop, tilting their heads to opposite sides and further embracing the other's lips. However… it had to end when they bumped into her door. They panted with reddened faces, and Moon took hold of her hoof with a paw.

"I-If you'd like… perhaps we could… do this again, as they say?" Moon asked with a chuckle. Fluttershy giggled, giving him another small kiss on his lips and opening her door.

"M-Maybe just the two of us?" Fluttershy suggested, fumbling over a sleeping bunny. Moon helped her back up with a smile.

"That would be fantastic," Moon nodded. "I'll see you soon, Fluttershy."

She nodded quickly and went inside, sliding down the door and sighing happily. Moon felt excitement, more than he had ever felt before, raising his heart rate. He felt blissful, happy, ecstatic, and light as a feather. He broke into a full gallop towards the outskirts of Ponyville to run around it. He only made it halfway around the town before he fell onto the grass. He sighed dreamily as he remembered Fluttershy's taste vividly, placing a paw on his lips. A droplet of water made him open his eyes, and sure enough he could see the rainclouds overhead beginning to form. He didn't care. He had just admitted his interest in a mare and he was actually accepted… and given the same feelings. Maybe… maybe this was what love felt like. Just yearning to see your other and be with them.

Moon stared at the moon and stars, smiling dumbly as more and more rain came down. His attention was caught by a streak of light in the sky. Thinking it was a shooting star, Moon made a wish only he would know of. When he opened his eyes, he gasped as he realised that it wasn't a star. The tail was actually smoke and it looked like some sort of box with fire shooting out the back. He covered his ears as it passed over, the loud whooshing noise hurting his ears. The object flew over the Everfree Forest, landing somewhere in the dark forest. He thought about retreating to the town and finding guards, but the smells he was picking up were nagging at him for attention.

And off he went. He bounded through the thick underbrush of the Everfree, following the multiple smells. The smoke billowing into the sky worried him, as smoke meant fire and the fire would kill hundreds of animals and possibly spread to the town. And Fluttershy's cottage was dangerously close to the forest, making it an early target. Moon slowed down as he heard loud banging noises. He followed the path of broken and fallen trees that led to a path forced into the dirt. At the end of it was a large metal box with strange designs to it. He took cover behind a bush just as a hissing noise stung his ears. The front of the box launched off, and a smog cleared when six creatures jumped out.

Moon's eyes widened as he watched the six-legged creatures snarl and move around the small clearing. They resembled normal wolved without fur but with six legs and larger bodies. They barked and snarled at each other, sniffing the ground the whole time but not finding what they wanted. Moon heard the rustling of leaves, and the bark beside him began moving. What he had thought a mess of branches was actually a timberwolf. The beast looked like an alpha, and the eight other scents reached him as they came into view. The pack leaped out of the dark and surrounded the six creatures.

What he realized immediately was that the creatures didn't go into defense, and just lashed out. They wildly and savagely bit into the timberwolves and tore them branch from branch. Even as the alpha was torn to shreds they bit and scratched each other for the remains, spitting the bark out when they discovered what it was. Even if their coordination was rough and sloppy, they were savage and quick. Much more of an advantage than the guards or ponies. Moon made to depart and warn Draco and the guards.

SNAP!

The furless wolves growled and bounded after him, and he broke into a full sprint. But he came to another revelation.

They were faster than him.

Moon tumbled to the ground when a wolf pounced on his back. He kicked it off of him but came face to face with another. It's maw opened… in four pieces. He would have hurled at the sight, but avoiding its jaw was what he focused on. He bucked out to one behind him, knocking it to the ground while another took it's place. Moon decided to take the offensive and pounced on one. It fought back, using its second pair of paws to scratch his sides and sink its claws into him.

Moon roared, but he forced his jaw shut around its throat, black blood spraying out. The taste was vile, and he spat it out in disgust. The other creatures growled loudly, obviously angered at their first casualty. One headbutted him while another tripped him with a tail, and the others jumped on him. Moon screamed and roared as they began to bite into his legs, one trying to rip his tail off. He scratched the four eyes of the one biting his tail and bit down on the back of the neck of another. When it went limp, he smacked it into the one holding his other paw and pounced on the third. He slashed its throat with his claws, tearing clean through it.

The three remaining ones growled as they went in for another attack, leaving the fourth to roar and snarl in its blindness. Moon rammed heads with one, ducked under one and tackled the third, putting it into a headlock before snapping its neck. The other two recovered and held him down again. One bit into his shoulder, and the other went for his leg again. It's thrashing broke something, and the other kept adding pressure to his slowly cracking shoulder. He beared through the pain and tore into its stomach with his claws, then tore its throat out when it went to roar.

The final creature broke his leg completely, and Moon roared in agony. He used his other leg to rake its face, causing it to growl and jump back. Moon tried standing up, but he fell over on his broken leg. The fall actually helped him avoid a swipe, which barely nicked his ear. He swiped three of its legs to the side, then bit into its skull, breaking through the tough bone after snapping a few teeth out of place. The animal's limbs twitched wildly before it groaned lowly and fell motionless.

Moon forced himself back onto his stomach, looking around for the sixth creature. It's smell had faded, meaning it retreated deeper into the forest. The lunar wolf forced himself to stand, holding his broken leg above the ground. He limped slowly to the path, his vision blurring as his wounds bled heavily. The rain pummeled his back and open wounds as he stumbled into the town. He could hear screams and a few shouts, and he saw a large orange mass land in front of him.

He lost consciousness.

Author's Note:

Ahh, here we are with a battered lunar prince, and a cozy solar prince with the Element of Loyalty. And Ember? I love this little triangle of mine! Remember, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next