• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,983 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,983

PreviousChapters Next
Fall of an Empire (I of VIII)


"The city of Minite," Draco said, leaning over the table with his plans laid across it. Joining him were five dragon generals, all of which ordered to follow him. "The outskirts have constant griffons patrolling, and from scouts knowledge they may have close to 5,000 griffons somewhere in each building."

"Shouldn't be too hard," General Inferno chuckled. "We can storm them with the 10,000 and suffer minimal casualties."

Draco glared harshly at the dragon. "Those buildings act as a barricade, and those streets are kill zones," he growled. "We can send 50,000 on foot and still not be able to get across it."

"Then what do you suggest?" General Blunt asked.

Draco layed out another schematic, this one about the sewer system. "Each griffon home has a seweage pipe, in case their water happens to stop running. Dragon tactics are mainly frontal attacks, with carrier dragons dropping some overhead. As such, we can sneak underneath their beaks and get the jump on them," he said, pointing towards the other side of the city. "And have our other bulk on the other side. Once we flush them into retreat, they'll have nowhere to run."

General Charred chuckled softly. "We'll suffer little to no casualties," he said. "It's perfect."

"We'll need as many fighters as we can to take Gryphos," Draco snorted. "Remember: We meet up with Commander Moon and Commander Ember at the town of Windawn. From there we'll head to Gryphos and take it in force."

"I'll give the order," General Blaze nodded.



As the massive numbers of fighters hauled scale to Minite's northern entry, the sewers below the city were filled with the dragons, each armed to the scale with armor and weapons. Draco led the coalition, adorned with King Draco's gifts. Gleaming indigo armor gave him a daunting appearance, small spikes and curves of the protection allowing for lethal close combat. His helmet covered the entirety of his face, a one-way glass allowing him to see and no one to know. Strapped to his back was a menacing sword made of the rarest dragon minerals, and some of the strongest. The blade itself was black with a dark violet edge on a blood-red handle. It was sheathed in a regular brown leathered scabbard, with a gemstone tip.

On his front were assortments of dragon made powder explosives, and strapped to his sides were a pair of gold colored daggers. The weight of the set would have been heavy, even for a fully developed dragon fighter. But to Draco, he felt fine… maybe a bit more stronger than he usually did. Refocusing on his goal, he grunted as he pulled himself through the rotten waste and trash. The waste sloshing around in his setup was disgusting and uncomfortable, as it was for the rest of the fighters.

He was chest-high in seweage, but it was a relief when they finally reached the first of many intersections. The army split up into hundreds of other small squads. Draco waved for the four fighters to hang onto the walls of the pipe leading into the griffon home. As soon as he opened the wooden grate, the dragons silently crawled in, waiting on all fours to pounce. Draco climbed in just as carefully, grabbing his daggers and taking position next to the door. The wooden block opened ever so slowly, allowing the fighters to slink into the living room of the home. Draco pointed to the three griffons aiming crossbows at the streets, gesturing for the fourth to follow him.

They climbed up the steps, their metal boots sinking into the furred carpets. Stone was the primary building material, meaning there weren't any creaks on the way up. Draco nodded towards one of the bedrooms, then went to a different one overlooking the outside. Draco snuck up behind the two griffons, waiting for any signs of activity. His daggers split the backs of their skulls in half, their gasps muffled into the rug. Pulling his blades out and sheathing them, he drew his sword and regrouped with his squadron.

"Now what?"

"Head to the roof. By now the others had to have reached their assigned homes. We'll draw their attention to give the others some time and a distraction," Draco said. "Each of you, give me a bomb."

They each gave him a pouch of explosive powder before heading upstairs. Draco wrapped the fuses together, then lit them with sparks from sulfur and stone. Running out into the streets, he beamed it at the nearest barricade, getting behind cover as the explosion shook the area.

"EVERYDRAGON ATTACK!"

The roars of thousands of fighters rang as they jumped out from the houses and some onto the roofs. The griffons were caught off guard by the sheer number of their force, some beginning their retreat early. Those who held their ground were slashed by claws and blades as they charged with no intention of stopping. Draco led the swarm, slashing past the griffons and dodging some arrows and spears from the barricade up ahead. Leaping over the crude blockade, he stabbed bis sword into one then kicked the spear out of another's grip and uppercut him in the beak. A fighter set a griffon behind him on fire while another slashed a fourth's throat.

"Chariot reinforcements!"

Draco looked up ahead, watching as armored war-carriages barreled through their own barricades and some dragons. Right on their six were dozens of griffons. Draco pulled a pouch from his chest, lighting it and throwing it directly under the wheels. The bag tore open, just as he planned, and the fuse set of a wider explosion that over-turned the chariot and set a good few on fire.

Charging forward, the two sides slammed into one another. The chariots ran over many of the dragons before they were blown up, burned, or overtaken. At the front, they faired better with their height and strength advantage. Their expert weapon skills, combined with their skilled tails and claws, made tearing through their lines easier and easier as more lost morale. Draco slashed a gash into ones chest, then stabbed it through another and throwing his spear at a chariot wheel. The vehicle flipped wildly, sending sharpened wood pikes in every direction.

Overhead, the dragon archers were sending storms of firey arrows, setting unchecked houses ablaze. "Don't kill them! Let the bastards burn!"

Draco had made sure earlier that no civilians would be in the city. Most were in war bunkers and settlements away from the major towns and cities. All of this meant he could let the warriors die slowly and painfully as they pressed forward. The chariots that hadn't been destroyed were being used against the griffons. Fighters rode on it and slashed on the flanks at any unlucky feathebrain. Draco grabbed onto General Flicker's arm, getting pulled on for the ride.

"The town square is up the next few streets!" Draco shouted over the constant clanging of swords and arrows. "Send the firebreathers to light them up from above!"

General Flicker spread his wings, roaring loudly for his platoon to follow. A good number abandoned the ground fighters, but it only meant more for them to kill. Draco leaned over the side and picked up a fallen bow, then took aim across the battlefield. Just as it did in practice, his mind set up equations and variables that were quickly solved. Aiming a bit higher, he let go a constant stream of arrows that met their marks behind enemy lines. They crossed through Minite Square, which was ablaze by the time they reached it. The dragon-drawn chariot burst through the flames quickly, continuing their assault without end.

Just as he'd planned, the griffons were in full retreat, the dragon army right on their ass. Draco lit another pouch, this one bright red unlike the rest. He held his arm still for a few seconds, then launched it high in the sky.

Across the city, Generals Inferno and Blaze saw the flashes of red, no sooner being followed by the sight of fleeing griffons. "CHAAAAARGE!" The brothers roared with their dragons as they flew straight into the griffons.

With the hundreds of griffons sandwiched between two unrelenting forces, it was only a matter of time before they were forced to hold their ground. Draco slashed and hacked his way through griffon after griffon, his arse being kept safe by General Blunt, Charred, and Flicker. Several arrows bounced off of his armor, and the archers were quickly eliminated by a bullet-speeding spear. Only a few dozen remained, and they tossed their weapons on the ground and raised their talons.

"Do we take them prisoner?" Flicker questioned. "They'd only slow us down."

"It would be easier to dispose of them," Blunt added.

Draco looked at each of the terrified griffons. Some of which were mumbling quiet prayers to their families. "They've suffered enough by watching their comrades die," Draco said. "This would be murder. Tie them, leave them, and let's rendezvou with the others."

The griffons were hog-tied and left on the outskirts of the city, which was now burning. Draco ordered the dragons to put out the fires, but to burn the armors in the streets. Any weapons they could carry were taken and the chariots as well. In the end, 4,917 griffons littered the streets of the city, while only 27 dragons were buried in the fields away from the town. Draco pressed on with the rest of his group, heading to the city of Gearhead for another attack.

Author's Note:

Yep, it's me! I couldn't stay away from a story like this, so get ready for some more updates! As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next