• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
Old Friends

"Draco. Draco. Draco!" The man gasped as he sat up a bit.

Moon stood with four wooden creatures, the five of them snarling at Solar Guards. A crowd of ponies were not too far behind them, and he noticed two ponies with apple related cutie marks with a small filly. The guards were pointing spears at Moon and his wooden brethren, and Moon was waiting on him.

"Scare them off," the leading lieutenant called. A bolt of magic hit the dirt near Moon's paw, but he didn't flinch in the slightest.

"That's not going to work," Moon snarled. The ponies gasped upon hearing his voice. "I will warn you once. Stay. Back."

"If you don't stop trespassin' on mah family's property ah'll buck ya into next week!" an orange mare with a stetson snorted.

The timberwolves shifted around impatiently, and the ongoing scene was interrupted as a purple mare pushed through the crowd. "Applejack, what's going on?" She looked at the timberwolves shifting around a large wolf of some kind. "What is that?!" Her tone was one of excitement and scholarly wonder than fear.

"Whatever it is, ah don't know," Applejack huffed. "Rainbow, see anythin' else?"

The spectrum maned pegasus mare hovered lower to the ground. "That wolf-thing's in front if a dragon and a weird metal thing," she shrugged.

"Weird metal thing?" Twilight questioned. She moved to the front of the crowd and peered over the shoulder of a guard.

Sitting against the tree, indeed, was a metal creature with an orange dragoness in its arms. Whether or not it was asleep was the question, and from the look of it the wolf was guarding them. Moon noticed the purple mare looking at Draco and Ember, and he howled loudly to summon five more timberwolves. The guards were outnumbered, and as Moon walked forward they moved back.

"You face me for them," Moon snarled. "Keep that in mind, mare."

Twilight would have squeed from discovering it was intelligent and able to coordinate other animals, but the threat didn't go unsupported as it readied into a stable stance and bared its sharp teeth. Rainbow and Applejack glared angrily at the creature, but they eased slightly as Fluttershy moved forward.

"I warned once," Moon growled. "Do NOT make me repeat myself."

Before Fluttershy could act, Draco eased Ember against the tree and stumbled to his feet. The ponies gasped when the blood of his armor was revealed. Fluttershy put a hoof to her mouth and trotted forward. Moon stood in her path, easily a head and a half taller.

"Y-Y-Your f-friend's h-hurt," Fluttershy shakily said. "I-I can help."

Draco placed his hand on Moon's shoulder, easing the wolf-pony back. "I know you're scared of them attacking," Draco whispered. "But scaring them won't do any good. Call the… wolves back."

Moon sighed softly and howled again. The timberwolves snarled at the ponies before bounding back into the Everfree. Draco nodded and gestured towards Ember. Moon bounded back over to the dragoness, leaving the guards to face the towering man. The huge wolf in armor was bad enough, but the creature before them was even more menacing. It's height easily doubled their own, and the bloodied and battered armor wasn't much help. Draco looked over the Solar Guards, then glanced behind them to the crowd. He gasped lightly when he saw them… it was them… they were actually here!

Draco stumbled forward, ignoring a frightened Fluttershy and the spears of the guards. "Stay back!" a Solar ordered.

Twilight realized the creature was walking towards her. Why? Rainbow noticed it walking towards her as well, and she flew forward and raised her hooves up. "C'mon! I ain't scared o' you!" she shouted as Draco kept going.

She hadn't changed a bit. Same tough filly he remembered from his earlier years. With a chuckle, he reached up to his helmet, and clicked the straps out of their locks. Twilight slowly trotted forward once the creature's armor was revealed, and she and Rainbow gasped quietly when he removed it. Though blood was running down the side of his face, they recognized the wide smile they had seen long ago. Twilight's legs went stiff, but a teary smile came to Rainbow's face.

"Hey guys," Draco laughed.

Rainbow laughed and tackled Draco, laughing as she hugged him as hard as possible. "DRACO!" Rainbow shouted. "I MISSED YOU, BUDDY!"

"Me too!" Draco laughed. His merriment halted when he felt his wounds throbbing from her weight, and he forced them to sit up with a grunt. "Hold on!"

Her eyes widened when she saw the bloody holes in his armor. "What happened?!" she exclaimed. "Fluttershy!"

"Oh dear!" She gasped. "Twilight, I need-"

THUMP

The mares gasped as Twilight fainted, but Draco grunted louder when one of them started bleeding again. "Hold on, we're gonna get you to the hospital!" Rainbow said. "C'mon, one, two, three!"

Draco stood up, forcing Rainbow to hover to reach his height. "Moon, get Ember," Draco called. "She needs help, too."

"Ma'am, you can't-"

"I am Prince Draco," he interrupted. "My mother is Celestia, so I suggest you stand back."

The guards gasped among themselves, then scrambled to a knee. "Apologies," the top lieutenant quickly said. "But, sir, you were pronounced-"

"Dead?" Draco glanced to Twilight, who Applejack aas carrying. "On my word, you keep my whereabouts a secret unless my mother asks, understood?"

"Yes, sir," the guards nodded.

"And I don't need an escort," Draco said. "Head to your posts or go to Canterlot, but don't follow me."

They nodded again, then cleared a way for the group to pass through the crowd. Draco made sure that Ember was given care first before he was taken to a medical room. He ordered the doctors to let Moon treat his wounds, making the doctors uneasy. Draco pulled off the armor on his body as well as Moon. Rainbow waited outside with Applejack, Fluttershy, and an unconscious Twilight.

"You know him?" Fluttershy asked. "The big, scary one?"

Rainbow chuckled. "Scary? Please," she scoffed. "Draco's pretty nice. I used to hang out with him all the time! Back when I was in Canterlot, I mean."

"Ya hung out with royalty before, Rainbow?" Applejack questioned with a smirk.

"Yup. And I met Celestia!" She exclaimed. "Me and him always wrestled around and ran through the castle. You shoulda seen how mad my dad got!"

Applejack chuckled, while Fluttershy giggled. "I just wonder why Twilight fainted," the meek pegasus wondered.

"Maybe she had a egghead overload," Rainbow snickered. "No pony's ever seen Draco before, and I woulda been weirded out. But he's pretty nice."

"DICK!" Draco bellowed, tossing Moon out the room. The wolf shook himself and laughed. The man stumbled to the door and pulled out the syringe. "You shit, you did that on purpose!"

"Trust your doctor, Draco!" Moon retorted playfully. They wrestled briefly before they had to seperate from the pain in their wounds. "Another time."

Draco laughed, clutching the wounded shoulder. Applejack and Fluttershy glanced to Rainbow, who smiled sheepishly. "He's nice, huh?" Applejack chuckled.

Moon and Draco turned to the ponies, and Rainbow stood up. "It's great seeing you again, Rainbow," Draco smiled. "I thought you moved to Cloudsdale?"

"Yeah, but I had to come here, y'know? Mom wanted me to get a job since my dad's still off in the Badlands and just get busy," Rainbow shrugged.

Draco suppressed a frown. She didn't know. She wasn't aware of her father… for six years?

"So what happened to you?" Rainbow asked, looking over the bloody bandage wraps. "Did you throw yourself under a chariot or something?"

Moon and Draco locked gazes, then turned back to Rainbow. "Six times," he replied. "Rainbow, this is Midnight Moon."

Moon nodded to Rainbow and the others. "I apologize, Ms. Fluttershy for my threatening demeanor," Moon said. "I was uncertain of your intentions and decided to play it safe."

Fluttershy nodded, smiling softly. "It's okay," she nodded.

"Ah'm Applejack," the orange mare said, eyeing him cautiously. "What're you supposed t' be anyhow?"

Moon shrugged. "My body is that of a pony's, but I am a wolf," he said. "A wolf-pony made the most sense to me as a colt or cub."

Draco glanced at Twilight, who was still unconscious. "Oh, that's-"

"Twilight," Draco finished for Rainbow. He moved over to her and kneeled to get a better look at her.

"You know 'er too?" Applejack questioned.

"Yeah. A week after Rainbow moved, Celestia took her on as an apprentice," Draco sighed. "We would play a lot, and I even helped her with her lessons."

"You were an egghead after I left?" Rainbow snickered. "Nerd."

Draco laughed and nudged her. "Hey, I'm not the same as I was when I was seven. I could totally beat you in a wrestling match," he warned playfully.

"As if!" Rainbow chuckled. "But why'd she pass out? I'm real psyched to see you but she just knocked out."

Draco's smile fell as he looked back to the lavender mare. "Because… when I was ten… I left to the Dragon Kingdom," Draco said. "I was having… issues, and my mother wanted to make sure I was safe, and King Draco was the only one who knew how to help."

"The dragon king has your name?" Fluttershy inquired.

"I have his name, but that's besides the point," Draco said. "After a year there, Grypho the Emperor found out I was there. I don't know why he wanted me, but all I know is, he was angry. So when I was twelve, he sent a battalion of griffons to capture me."

Ember about to be stabbed flashed through his mind, then the price the griffons paid for their attack. "What happened?" Rainbow asked softly.

Draco's fist clenched as he remembered holding Dasher. "I killed them. All of them," he whispered. "Ember was hurt, my arm was broken, and we had no idea where we were. Ember would've died if we never ran into Moon."

"You mean if you never attacked me," Moon chuckled. Draco shook his head with a smirk. "Ember had infected wounds and I was able to cleanse them. I knew the Kingdom like the back of my paw, so I assisted in taking them to the Dragon King."

"In short, I made him tell my mom I was dead so I could train to fight the griffon war," Draco said. "We fought for a couple of weeks before we… before I killed the Emperor."

The ponies gasped, and Applejack frowned. "Prince Draco." They turned to the doctor bowing formally. "Would you like to see your dragoness friend?"

"Yes," Draco quickly said, standing up. Rainbow and Moon followed while Applejack stayed with Fluttershy to watch their purple friend.

The doctor took them to one of their better equipped rooms, where Ember laid. Her heart rate was normal, blood pressure stable, and everything else was green. Draco knelt beside her bed and looked long and hard at her. He held her claw and leaned his head against the edge, sighing in relief that she was no longer cold.

"Who's she?" Rainbow asked.

"She's King Draco's daughter," Draco said. "Princess Ember. She helped me around the mountain and fought in the war with me… I just hope she wakes up soon."

Draco sighed and tenderly caressed her smooth claws, standing up when the door opened. "I'm sorry, sir, but she'll need some rest by herself for a while. We're going to run a few diagnostic tests to make sure she's completely fine," the doctor explained. "The coma will keep her down for some time, but we'll make sure to contact you as soon as she wakes up."

Draco nodded, glancing to Ember one last time. "See you soon," he whispered. He filed out with Moon and Rainbow, frowning as he re-entered the waiting room.

Rainbow thought the dragoness looked alright, aside from her being unconscious. "Don't worry," Rainbow smiled. "I bet she'll be better in no time. Maybe we should get Twi to the library."

Moon glanced to Draco and whined. "Do you think the ponies will be open-minded?" Moon asked.

Draco smiled and wrapped his arm around him. "I'm betting the ponies aren't like the ones a thousand years ago," Draco chuckled. "If anything, I'll order them to love you."

Shaking his head, the wolf pony laughed and stepped outside with them. "Library ain't far from here," Applejack said. "You comin' Flutters?"

"I guess so," Fluttershy nodded hesitantly. Moon could sense the small bit of curiosity she had when she looked at him.

"I got 'er," Rainbow grunted as she pulled Twilight onto her back. "C'mon… whoo, what has she been eating?"

Draco chuckled as he followed them to the library, hoping he could talk to his old friends soon.

Author's Note:

It's Saturday, so why not this early? Like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next