• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,969 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,969

PreviousChapters Next
Getting Rest (IV of V)


Ember's POV


I groaned as the morning rays stung my eyes, having my coltfriend's mother to thank. Speaking of him, he wasn't next to me as we usually slept. I looked around the room, but his nobility robe wasn't hung up either. I sat up slowly, and discovered a note hanging from my right wing. Pulling it off, I looked closer at Draco's sloppy writing.

Ember,

I wanted to get up early so that I could be ready for tonight. I'll tell you later, but right now, just go to that dinky office of yours and work… but don't overdo it.

~~Love, Draco

He would be leaving in two days, which I still wished could be farther away, so I guess this was expected. Probably just time for us… alone. Together. I can't lie and say I wasn't looking forward to it, and it was very relieving to hear. He always had something wonderful planned, but he never went to the extreme. That's what I loved, aside from many other things about him. But I was dreaming again, and I still had lots of work. I pulled on the ambassador robe Rarity created specifically for me, which was mostly purple with blue gems embroidering the borders. They went well with my dark scales, and they matched my purple wings. She had a keen eye, at least.

No pony, not even Draco, could understand how boring or tedious my "job" is. I literally sit and sort through a pile of documents that my father already looked over and needs my opinion on. That was a fourth of the pile. The other three were from the other nations, since I was 22 and able to take part in such matters. They weren't addressed specifically to me. My father would get my opinions on each matter, and he would decide from there. But there were a few times where I could decide what went. I won't lie, it felt sort of good to be able to give an order without being questioned… but it only reminded me about the war a few years back.

"Ember?"

I gasped silently, laughing sheepishly as I looked at Twilight… Princess Twilight, that is. "I-I'm sorry… was I-"

"Daydreaming?" Twilight giggled, replacing the vase I had knocked over a couple steps back. "What were you thinking about?"

Two years ago, I held much resentment and hatred for her and Rainbow, because of the fact that Draco was with them more than me. But that was when I lost my memory, and he was just trying to cope with my loss. And now that I've actually spoken with them, they've become some of my closest friends, aside from Moon and Flare of course.

"I-It's… just that I won't be seeing Draco for… a while… and then after that I'm not sure," I sighed softly. She put a hoof on my arm comfortingly.

"Don't worry. He loves you enough to make sure he'll see you again," she smiled. I wasn't sure how she could say that and not feel sorry for herself. It was one of the mysteries of the ponies. "Just have faith. Sorry, I have to run. Duties and things. See ya later."

She galloped off quickly, obviously unable to stand the thought of being tardy. I shrugged softly and went to my office chamber, then sifted through the newest stack.


Several hours later…


Gods above, this was BORING! It was finally sun down, and I gave the papers to the dragon messenger posted outside my door. He usually came around this time, and he was the same messenger that used to send Draco's letters when we were little. He nodded to me and took off, leaving me to lock the door and sigh as I headed for our room. It wasn't hard, not at all, but sometimes it's just too boring. But I had Draco's surprise waiting, and I hurried that much to our room.

He wasn't there, surprisingly. I stepped in and started to disrobe, pulling off the robes and folding them on my bed. It was very comfortable, but it still restrained my arms and wings by the joints. I stretched my arms out, my wings flexing as well, and a smile grew on my lips as I felt a set of hands wrap around my belly. Draco gently kissed my neck, chuckling as I nuzzled him.

"So what was it you wanted to tell me about?" I giggled.

"Well… I was just thinking about how much I love you," he snickered, even after I elbowed him in the ribs, "and I thought about taking you somewhere special."

I sighed softly, knowing his reasons before he actually said anything. "What did you have in mind?" I smiled. He walked around to my front, kissing my lips gently.

"It's a surprise," he said softly, a sort of gleam in his eye. "Just get ready, okay?"

I nuzzled him with a smile. "Okay."

He quickly undressed, giving me but a few seconds to admire his wonderfully toned body. I could remember that his body wasn't just for show… ooh, thinking about it made me quiver. I realized he was staring at me, as I was to him, and he smirked. I returned the gesture with a wink and bent over to grab the dress from my drawer. The least I could do was give him a little show… and I really needed to get ready. Rarity had also made me a few dresses, since I was a princess and all, but I rarely used them. I didn't like taking the role as such, like a weak and frail damsel. But they were beautiful… and I just hoped it didn't make me look awkward. I sure felt awkward.

"Ready, Em…ber…" I turned back at him, noticing his stare as being very… focused. A small blush crept onto my cheeks, but it was strange. He had seen me naked and now I was blushing?

The dress I had put on was a blood-red color, covering my legs like a curtain but parted halfway down my left thigh. It covered a portion of my left arm, but revealed my right completely. It gave a shy view of the side of my right breast, but not enough to stir any stallions. I must have looked good… because he was still staring.

Draco was wearing a suit made by our seamstress friend, and it made him look just a bit more handsome. The undershirt was a blinding white, but the suit itself was a navy blue with cerulean lining the borders. The pants were just a shade lighter, pleated and just a tad loose for him. His hair… I don't know why but it was very interesting how it always looked nice, being disheveled and unkempt at nearly all times. But his look… it showed that flicker of love I always see from him. The look he gave me when we were teenagers. A smile came to my lips, and I sauntered over teasingly, wrapping my arms around his shoulders and pressing my lips against his. He returned it with love and passion, unwilling to let me go as much as I did. But we had to… eventually.

"Come on," he smiled. "Chariot's waiting."

I giggled and held his hand as we made our way out of the castle. The Solar guards nodded softly, having forsaken their usual bow, per his requests. We boarded it, and soon we were headed out of Canterlot. At first I thought we were going to Ponyville, but we turned just enough to be headed towards Manehatten. I rose a brow at Draco, but he just smiled and pulled me closer. I rested my head on his shoulder, knowing he was waiting to get my reaction. We landed in the busy streets, where most chariot taxis usually unloaded tourists and such. He helped me out like a gentlecolt, and we headed into the city.

Manehatten was a place of wonders and deception, but all in perfect harmony. The bustling streets, the numerous shops, the enormous buildings. It was easy to lose yourself to the crowd that we were currently pushing through. There were many curses and slurs being yelled and used casually, some being directed to my beloved. He simply smiled and walked on with me, truly determined to not let anything ruin this night. My nostrils flared when I smelled cooking meats, all sorts of them. We started seeing more griffons, and very few fighter dragons, as we entered the nobility's district. I gasped softly, looking up to the sign above us and recognizing the sign.

"Isn't this-"

"Where I took you the night we went to see the Statue of the Sun?" Draco chuckled softly. "Yes. Come on, reservations are already set."

We walked in, waving to Lean Dive and the griffons who cheered for us. We actually learned that griffons were betting if me and Draco would mate or me and Moon. And from the looks of it, most of them were betting for the former. Draco sent me upstairs while he spoke with Shadow's brother, and I leaned on the rail of the balcony where we were sitting. Manehatten's lights made it look beautiful in a strange way, and I closed my eyes as the wind blew through the spines atop my head. My coltfriend placed his hands over my claws, and I giggled as he kissed me again. He could be very loving and sensual, which I admired, given how rough we were. We sat down together, the food coming unusually quickly. Sirloin steaks steamed in front of us, mine bloody and seasoned. Just the way I loved it.

"When did you get all this ready?" I laughed softly, grabbing my fork.

Draco shrugged with a laugh. "Couple days ago, I think," he smiled. "But come on, dig in!"

We finished our meals relatively quickly, as we were both starved since this morning. Draco also had a small dessert set up for us, which we rarely ate. Either he was hungry… or something more was going on. We finished the small pieces of griffon cake, which was made up of meat and sweets, and simply sipped wine. Well, I did. He was looking into his glass of orange juice. He said orange juice was the best drink in existence.

But… he had a small frown lingering as he stared at the glass between his fingers. I reached over slowly, but he placed his hand on my claw first. We entwined our hands, and I looked into his eyes.

"Draco-"

"I wanted to make this night special," he interjected, gripping my claws tighter. "I wanted to show you how much I love you. This place was where I first bonded when you lost your memory. And I knew I still had feelings for you."

I sighed softly, placing my other claw on his hand while his other did the same. "You didn't have to do anything but be with me, Draco," I smiled. "I love you for you. Not what you can do for me."

He chuckled softly, glancing to my glass very quickly. I shrugged that off and kissed his cheek. "I know… but… the day after tomorrow… I have to go train and stuff." I nodded, my smile fading to a sullen one. "We won't be seeing each other for long… and I'm not even sure I'll-"

"Don't say it," I interrupted, a tear working its way to the rim of my eyes. "Don't say that, ever."

Draco sighed and stroked my claws again, gently and soothingly. "This is going to be worse than anything we've ever seen," he told me. "And with you and Moon… it's going to be that much more meaningful."

Draco grabbed his glass, waiting for me to do the same. He filled them both with wine and held his up. I believed he was joking, I truly did, and I decided to humor him and clinked mine against his. We started downing our drinks…

…but something got caught on my fangs.

I reached in and pulled out…

A…

…a ring…

…a beautiful… golden ring.

His fingers grasped the small band and he kneeled beside me, tears streaming down my cheeks as I watched on in shock.

"Whatever happens… I want us to be together," he smiled, tears forming in his own eyes. "Forever."

I glanced behind him, seeing Shadow and Lean Dive smiling softly as they watched us, the other griffons on the roof as well. He set this all up. He knew he was going to fight… and this was how he wanted to keep his promise. I looked back down to him, just as he took my claw again.

"Will you make me the happiest man alive… fulfill my dreams… become my future… and marry me?"

I didn't need a single thought about this.

"Yes… Yes, Draco," I sniffled. He let his tears fall in happiness as he slipped the ring onto my middle claw.

And I kissed him.

With more passion and love than ever. I always thought about this moment… but I expected it to come later. Now that it had come, there was only surprise…

…but not a single shred of doubt.

It felt like ages before our lips parted, and I hugged him and softly cried happily into his chest. He chuckled softly, holding my hand and guiding my gaze up to him.

"We're going to have a family one day… together," he whispered, kissing my lips. "Even if we have to adopt one. I want you to be the mother of whatever we pick… but not now. I just want you to be with me forever."

I wiped a tear from my eye, then placed a claw on his cheek. "Just remember… okay?" I asked, my voice breaking constantly.

I was happier than ever in my life. I was going to marry the man of my dreams, the man who made love to me, the man who cared for me above all else. We were both expectant of this day… and it was finally here.

"I love you, Ember… I love you," Draco laughed softly, his voice cracking just as much as mine.

I laughed with him and hugged him closer. "I love you more."

He looked down to me. "I love you most."




I sighed softly as I laid beside Draco, having given him a small reward for his actions. His strong arms caressing me, just how he had cared for me minutes ago. My ringed claw rested between us, our hands locked together. He placed his free hand on my back, massaging my loosening wing joints. Sweat dotted his forehead, but his smile was still present and his breathing had calmed. Mine was still slowing, which was why he was smiling, I guess. I rested my claw on the side of his face, running it through his messy mane as his hand rested on my waist, pulling me closer as our lips touched again. My tail snaked around his leg, looking for another limb like its own… but it was fine. I loved him… I loved him more than I thought.

I wanted this. To be with him… live with him…

…have a family with him.

Draco chuckled softly, prompting me to raise an eye crest. "What's so funny?" I giggled, nudging his shoulder.

He shook his head softly and looked at me, his cosmic-hazel eyes gleaming brighter than usual. "Remember… when you lost your memory?" I nodded. "I… I dreamed that one day… I would marry you… and we would live in a house, the two of us and our own family. I would say some dumb stuff, you'd hit me, I'd remind you that I had to save you… and you'd say you saved me as well… and I'd say you saved me in more ways than one."

I wiped a tear from his cheek, kissing his lips gently.

"And we'd lay together like this… you tearing up the covers," he chuckled, even as I blushed with a slight frown. "And then… I'd say I love you…"

My hand gripped his tighter, a tear trailing down my cheek. "And I'd say I love you."

He kissed me for the last time that night. I must say, I preferred laying naked with him and feeling his intense warmth spreading over me. He fell asleep first, my head resting under his. It was the best moment of my life… the moment I'll never forget.

I married the man of my dreams.

Author's Note:

Yes, all of my yesses for this chapter. As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next