• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
**Intermission**


Draco placed his armor on the floor beside him as he readied for a night of sleep. The tent opened, and Ember and Moon stepped inside. "Hey guys," Draco smiled.

"Beautiful night," Moon nodded. "We just wanted to check up on you. Y'know, the wounds and all."

Draco chuckled as he examined the bloodied cloths. "Shoulda seen what I deflected with that." He pointed to his bent shield, which was full of splinters. "We weren't… expecting any artillery… and I didn't really do a good job of scouting."

Moon sat beside Draco and put a paw on his back. "We've all made mistakes, friend," he sighed. "I lost Chuck, Hack, and Tomb. And dozens more."

"As did I," Ember nodded, sitting down beside Draco. "Ash was a good dragon, but there was nothing any of us could have done to save him. It's a war, Draco. We have to mourn those we lose and strive to keep others alive."

Draco nodded, looking at his palm and hearing the voices. "I know," he sighed. "I… I'm just trying to get this over with."

Moon looked over to Ember, who was frowning at Draco's guilt. He stood up and stretched his back, then trotted to the opening in the tent. "I'm going to survey the area. If any griffons attempt an ambush we'll be ready," Moon said. He left the tent and bounded towards the treeline, howling for the others to follow.

Ember stared at Draco as he kept his gaze fixed on the ground. "Are you alright?" He ran his fingers through his hair, letting out a long sigh as he did so.

"I'm… I'll be fine, Ember. Really." She wrapped her claws over his palm, shifting closer and nuzzling him.

"Please, don't let this haunt you," she said. "If you want to rid the Emperor then you need to he focused."

Draco chuckled, closing his hand over hers. "I have all the motivation I need," he said. "He's going to pay for all the dragons we lost and for Dasher."

Draco steadily lowered himself to the dirt, but Ember stopped him. He missed the scarlet in her scales as she lowered him onto her lap. The blush was greatly present in his cheeks, though. They stared at each other, Ember running her claws through his smooth mane.

"What do you think everything will be like… after this is all over?" Ember asked. Draco fiddled with her claws, marveling the soft texture of her scales. "Will you go back to your mother?"

Draco frowned slightly, then sighed and closed his eyes. "I don't know." He looked directly at her and shook his head. "I've made her suffer from the though of me being dead, and I've lied to her, and worse is I'm not sure how she'll react. She… she'll probably be mad… and hurt…"

Ember wiped away a tear with her tail, surprising him. "She's your mother, Draco," Ember smiled. "If what you said to me when I was twelve meant anything, then you'll remember what mothers do."

He chuckled softly, fixing his shoulder's position. "They forgive, and they love you."

"No matter what." He smiled softly and sat up to give her a brief hug. "If you do go, just promise to visit every now and again."

I don't want to visit you, Ember. I want you to be with me when this is all said and done. But… rrgh, why can't I just say it all-fucking-ready?

"Do you think you could… I don't know, come with me… maybe?" Draco forced out of his mouth. Ember scales brightened further at the question. "I-I know you… wanna go back to the Dragon Kingdom and all… with Moon… but maybe we could go to Equestria… together?"

Ember gulped silently, her heart rate rising at an alarming rate. "I…I…"

WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! SAY YES! SAY IT! STOP BEING A CHILD AND SAY IT!

She wanted to just say it and throw her fears out the window, but even she didn't know if she would be needed at home. The look Draco was giving her reminded her of the times when they were true children. Not a care in the world, all the time to themselves, and nothing wrong in their minds. She exhaled onto his face, stimulating his sensitive nose.

"I… I'd like that," Ember smiled. Draco's face lit up, even if he was looking a bit pale. "Perhaps we could visit Manehatten? I've always wondered what the statue of the sun looked like in person."

"Sure. I haven't seen it either, but my mother told me it was a gift from the Prench," Draco chuckled. A yawn escaped him, even though he was doing his best to stay awake. "I, guess I should get some rest."

He laid on the small mat he had taken with him, and to his surprise he felt Ember snuggle up next to him. Her claws tenderly ran over the slim muscle over his stomach then rested on his chest. He turned over, even as her blush intensified. She shuddered as his hands moved to her back, caressing her wing joints then moving up to her shoulder blades. Ember's tail flicked to the side as he rested his head very close to her. His eyes lingered on her face for another few minutes, but sleep overcame his tired mind. Ember watched his strong chest rise and fall in a slow, rythmic way that held her interest. She looked at the black marking on his palm. With a small sigh, she snuggled closer to him and pressed her head into his chest.

She raised her snout and planted a small kiss on his cheek. "Goodnight, Draco."

Author's Note:

Just a little (tiny) break from the gore and action of the war. Remember, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next