• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
Meet the Rainbow


15 Years Before NMM's Return

"Mo-Mommy! Mommy!"

Celestia's eyes shot open and she looked to her son, who was sobbing hard as he held her hoof tightly. She scooped him up and let him cry into her shoulder. It was quite a while before he was lowered to sniffles and small shudders.

"Another nightmare?" Celestia asked softly. Draco nodded, rubbing some of his tears from his eyes.

"I saw a monster, Mommy," he sniffled. "It was black, and it had big claws, and there was lots of them and it tried to-"

"Shh," Celestia hushed. "It's alright, sweetie. Nothing's going to hurt you. It was just a bad dream."

"But… But it was so real, Mommy," he whispered. "I'm scared."

Celestia nuzzled him gently, then glanced to the clock above her door. It was almost time to raise the sun, and she had some hard work ahead of her. Thankfully, Philomena perched herself on her head and squacked.

"Would it be better if Philomena slept with you until Dasher comes?" Celestia asked. Draco looked at the phoenix, then nodded hesitantly.

"Why do you have to work so early, Mama?" he questioned. Celestia smiled, happy to know his curiosity wasn't tampered by the nightmare.

"I've told you," she smiled. "Every day I wake up very early so that I can raise the sun, so everypony knows to wake up. And at night, I lower the sun and raise the moon so everypony knows to get ready for bed."

"But how come you can't bring it up later?" he persisted. Celestia kissed his forehead and slipped on her royal regalia.

"Because, Draco," she smiled. "A lot of ponies do things as soon as the sun comes up. We wouldn't want them missing something important, right?"

He sighed, adjusting his head on the pillows. "Right, Mommy," he mumbled.

Celestia giggled, sitting down beside him. "I heard Dasher saying he would bring his daughter today," she said while nudging his side. "Maybe you two can sneak into the kitchen and have Chef Pan get you two some ice cream."

Draco giggled at his mothers nudges, then sat up and hugged her. "Thanks, Mama," he smiled. "What's her name?"

"Rainbow Dash, I think," Celestia said. "Remember, introduce yourself and be nice."

"I will," Draco saluted, like one of her guards. "Bye, Mommy."

Celestia hugged him one last time and left the room. Draco snuggled up with Philomena. His mother taught him how to properly hold her, so he wasn't crushing her like usual. It wasn't long before he fell asleep again.

Two hours later…

"Wow! This place is huge, Dad!" a small, spectrum colored filly exclaimed.

"I know," Dasher chuckled. "Come on, there's somepony I want you to meet."

She nodded and flew after her dad, marveling at the castle and its guards. They were almost as cool as the Wonderbolts, but nopony was cooler than them. She moved to the side with her dad and watched excitedly as a squad of guards marched by. Though she was excited to see them, Dasher sighed sadly. They were the newest addition to the task force in the Griffon Empire.

As they neared his new "workplace," Dasher turned to his daughter. "Okay, before we go in, I want to tell you something," he warned. "Most of the time when I'm working, I stand around like them. But a couple years ago, I got a new job."

"What is it?" Rainbow asked. Dasher stopped them in front of Princess Celestia's chambers.

"I was hired to keep an eye on the Princess' son," he explained. "She told me it was okay to bring you along."

"Whoa, cool! Can I meet him? What's his name?" she giddily asked. "Can he fly?"

"No, nothing like that," Dasher chuckled. "And, yes you can meet him."

Dasher pushed open one of the large doors, and ushered Rainbow inside. While she did marvel at the high-class room, she stared at the creature standing on the bed. It looked extremely weird, especially since it had clothes on. She stepped back slowly, but her father's legs blocked her subconscious retreat.

"Well?" Dasher asked the two of them. Draco was in the middle of throwing his pillow at Philomena, who was hiding somewhere behind her cage.

Draco dropped onto the bed and slowly came closer, noticing how he stood taller than the filly. "Um, my name's… Draco," he praxtically murmured. "It's… nice to meet you."

Rainbow turned to her father, who only nudged her forward. "Uh, hi. I'm Rainbow Dash," she mumbled, rubbing a forehoof.

Philomena perched herself on Draco's shoulder, drawing her attention away from him. "There you are," Draco smirked.

"Wow, I never saw a bird like that," Rainbow gasped. "What is it?"

"Her name's Philomena," Draco said. "And she's a phoenix. She's really mean sometimes, too."

Philomena preened a few of her feathers and tilted her head innocently. "So, Draco, did your mother tell you about anything?" Dasher asked.

Draco looked to the clock, a wide smile coming across it. "Oh yeah! My mom said we could go down and get some ice cream!" Draco exclaimed. "Come on, it's this way!"

Rainbow Dash flew behind Draco, with her dad galloping after them, as they headed for the kitchen. Since Celestia was doing work, it left the kitchen open for a little while. Draco ran in and went over to where Chef Pan was mixing ingredients.

"Hey, Pan!" Draco greeted.

"Ah, ze little prince!" Pan chuckled. "Who's your friend?"

"Oh, this is Rainbow Dash," he said, extending an arm towards her. "Rainbow, this is my mom's favorite chef, Pan Cake."

"Like pancakes for breakfast?" she giggled.

"Yes, it eez," Pan sighed, laughing right after. "But what brings you here? Does your mother know?"

"Yes, Chef," Draco said. "She said you'd get us some ice cream!"

"Alright, what flavors would you like?" he asked, using his magic to open a cabinet and levitate two cones down.

"Vanilla!"

"Vanilla!"

They gasped, then at the same time exclaimed,"That's my favorite, too!"

"Okay, you two," Dasher chuckled. "Don't let it keep going."

"What's wrong, monsieur Dasher? Need some ice cream as well?" Pan chuckled. Dasher shook his head and waited for their ice cream to be served.

The two children waited eagerly as Pan took a bucket of ice cream out and scooped two chunks out. He levitated it to them, but not before putting a cherry on each.

"Bon appetit!" he snickered.

"Thanks, Pan!" Draco smiled.

"Yeah, thanks!" Rainbow added. They made their way back to Draco's room, Dasher lingering behind.

"You heard about what happened in ze Badlands?" Chef asked.

Dasher sighed, sitting down on a large pot. "Yeah," he said. "Only ten of them made it back."

"Ze rest were… put to rest?" Dasher nodded again. "So that means–"

"I might be sent to the Badlands along with my squad," Dasher finished. "I don't know if Celestia even sees those kinds of papers, but I just have to hope I don't get sent there."

"I'm sure Madam Celestia won't let her babysitter leave," he assured him. "Have faith, compadre."

Dasher chuckled. "Neighican coming from a Prench pony," he smiled. "Never thought I'd see that."

Ahead of them, Draco and Rainbow were still eating their ice cream outside his mom's room. "How fast can you go?" Draco asked her.

"Eh, pretty fast," she smiled confidently. "Next year I'm gonna start my pegasus school in Cloudsdale, and I'll be the fastest ever!"

"I wish I had wings!" Draco laughed. His smile made her notice something odd.

"You don't have all your teeth yet?" she asked.

Draco hid his smile, and tried speaking with his lips sealed partially. "Yeah, Mommy says they'll grow but I only have a little," he mumbled. "I look silly."

Rainbow realized she had probably put him down a little. "Hey, don't feel so bad," she smiled. "I bet you don't even need 'em!"

"Really?"

"Yeah! I bet you have like… super strong teeth! Or hundreds of teeth!" she exclaimed.

"Hey, yeah! I bet… wait, where would all those teeth fit?" he wondered.

"Dunno, but maybe we can see!" she laughed.

Draco laughed, taking another lick of his ice cream, and nearly dropped it when he looked down the hall. "Cadence!" he shouted.

"Draco!" she exclaimed, galloping to meet him halfway. He stumbled, and ended up slamming the ice cream into her muzzle.

"Oh boy," Draco mumbled. "I'm sorry! I-It was by mistake!"

Cadence giggled and took the cone of her snout. "It's fine, little cousin," she smiled. "Besides, vanilla's pretty good."

"Is Blueblood here?" Draco excitedly asked. The teen mare nodded, then rolled her eyes when she heard him trot up behind them. "Blueblood!"

Draco threw his arms around his older cousin, smearing some ice cream on his white coat. "Draco! You're getting vanilla in my coat!" he shouted angrily, pushing Draco off.

"I'm sorry!" he exclaimed. "Rainbow, did you get a napkin?"

Rainbow shook her head, then quickly lapped up some melting ice cream before it fell. "Nope. Sorry," she sheepishly smiled.

"Relax, Blueblood," Cadence groaned. She used her magic to clean the miniscule smear. "There, happy?"

"Watch what you're doing next time," Blueblood sneered to Draco. He hung his head low, his cousin walking away with his head high.

Cadence and Rainbow came over. "Don't worry, he always yells when something touches his coat," Cadence smiled. "Who's this?"

"Oh," Draco perked up, extending an arm to his new friend. "This is Rainbow Dash. Rainbow, this is my cousin, Cadence, and the stallion was Blueblood."

"It's nice to meet you," Cadence nodded happily. "Did Tia put you in school?"

Draco shook his head. "No. Dasher is Rainbow's dad, and she came with him today," Draco explained.

"Oh. Your dad's a guard?" Cadence asked Rainbow.

She nodded quickly. "Yup! He says he loves wearing his armor and standing still all day!" Cadence giggled, both at her misunderstanding and her enthusiasm.

"Well, I'll see you later, Draco," she smiled. She gave him one last hug before heading down to her room.

"She's nice," Rainbow commented. "But your colt cousin seems like a jerk."

"He's not a jerk," Draco said sternly.

"Sorry," Rainbow shrugged.

"It's fine. Aw, haystacks," he grumbled. "I dropped my ice cream on Cadence."

Rainbow glanced at her own ice cream and sighed sadly. "Here," she said reluctantly.

Draco looked at the melting mound of ice cream. "But… that's yours," he said. "Don't you want it?"

"Yeah," Rainbow muttered. "But you can have it… if you want."

Draco smiled and took it from her. "We can share," Draco laughed. Rainbow facehoofed for not thinking of it earlier.

"Let's go see Philomena!" Rainbow suggested. Draco followed after, a few drops falling onto his mom's carpet.

Dasher had searched through the entire castle, looking for the two foals. When he didn't see them waiting for him outside the room, he looked all around. He even peaked into the throne room, but didn't find a trace of them. When the thought occured to actually check the room, he groaned and trotted slowly to Celestia's chambers. Before he opened the door he heard them yelling.

"No! I'll never give you the golden brick!" Draco's voice shouted. "NEVERRRR!"

"Then I'll use my lightning sword and take it!" his daughter's voice yelled back. "Prepare for the end, Mr. Amazing!"

"Not if Philomena helps!" Draco shouted. "Philomena! Philomena? Philomena! You were supposed to fly over her!"

Dasher walked in, chuckling at the sight of his daughter holding a rolled up newspaper above her with an ice cream cone taped to her head. Draco was clutching a pillow for dear life while Philomena just watched from her perch.

"C'mon, Philomena," Draco insisted. "Just this last time."

The phoenix rolled her fiery eyes, then ascended above Rainbow. The two got back into their roles, Rainbow readying to strike while Draco held tighter. He pointed his fingers and started making "pshew" noises, while his daughter thrust her "sword" at him. She gasped and clutched her chest, using her wings to slowly lower herself to the ground.

"Equestria is safe!" Draco cried. "Violet the Dark Alicorn is dead!"

As soon as he said that, they all broke up laughing. Dasher cleaned the ice cream off his daughters head and threw away the ice cream cone. "Alright, c'mon you two," he chuckled. "We have to clean up before Celestia gets here."

Rainbow gasped loudly. "Wait, am I gonna meet her, Dad?!" she asked, fluttering up high.

"Maybe," he smiled. "But we don't want her to see we made a mess of the room."

"Aw come on! We still have a little bit before she gets back!" Draco reminded them. "Let's play something else!"

"Like what?" Rainbow asked. The two of them sat in thought, an idea coming to him quickly. He didn't say it out loud however, since Rainbow was a mare.

"Think of something?" Rainbow rubbed her chin softly, then smirked.

"Wrestle fight!" she shouted, tackling him.

Draco thought she wouldn't want to play it, but as soon as she jumped on him he grabbed on. The two rolled around on the bed, laughing as they tried getting the upper hand. Dasher grabbed them both and dropped them onto the pillows, chuckling as the two teamed up on him. Rainbow latched onto his head while Draco tried weighing down one of his legs.

Canterlot Castle Throne Room

Celestia's horn glowed as the sun dipped over the horizon, and the moon rose just above it. With a nod to her guards for the end of their shift, she descended the steps and made her way into the halls. Since her son's caretaker brought his daughter, she expected to hear them playing by now. When she heard nothing, she decided to check on what they were doing.

She smiled warmly and giggled at what she saw. Dasher was slumped against her bed, snoring away. But what really made her laugh was Draco and Rainbow, the latter keeping the former in a headlock. She shook her head softly, untangling the two and laying them side by side. Rainbow held his arm tightly, mumbling when Celestia tried prying her loose. In the end she stayed there, and Dasher was placed next to her daughter.

She didn't mind sleeping in one of the guest beds. Sometimes they even seemed more comfortable than hers. She wanted to talk to her son, or play with him even. But her damned duties kept her from seeing him often. With a sigh, she planted a kiss on his forehead and quietly walked to the door.

"Mommy." Her ears perked, and she turned back around.

"What are you doing up still?" Celestia smiled. "Did you have fun with her?"

"Yeah. We had lots of fun," he sleepily nodded. "We got ice cream, played a game, and we wrestled, then read stories… then we wrestled… some more." He yawned a third time and smacked his lips together.

"That sounds really fun," Celestia whispered.

"Yeah… Mommy," he continued. "Will I go to school?"

Celestia smile faded. "You want to go to school, Draco?" she asked. He nodded, making her sigh unsurely. "Are you sure? I could hire tutors for you."

"No. I wanna go to… school when I'm older," he yawned. "Rainbow said it's supposed… to be a lot of fun."

"I'll think about it, and tell you before you turn six," she smiled. "Okay?"

"Okay," he nodded. "Night, Mama."

"Goodnight."

In Cadence and Blueblood's room

"Can you believe Tia adopted… whatever he is?" Blueblood asked, for the third time.

"Yes, Blueblood, I can," Cadence groaned. "What's the matter with him, anyways? He's still adorable. And he even gets happy to see you."

Blueblood glared at her, but she just smirked. "He's still like an annoying monkey," he groaned. "It's like I can't go two steps without him jumping on me!"

"He was giving you hugs. Ever heard of them?" Cadence questioned as she brushed her mane. "You're just mad because now that she has a son, he's going to rule instead of you."

"And why should he?" Blueblood exclaimed. "I'm blood related, and he's just some dirty biped she probably found in a trash can."

Cadence started to put on some makeup. "I don't think somepony would throw out somepony like him," she remarked. "Especially at birth. Wouldn't his mom be somewhere somewhere in Canterlot?"

"She probably left him," Blueblood shrugged. "I mean, who would want to look at something like him?"

"Alright, that's it!" Cadence shouted. "If you don't shut up right now, I'll tell Tia you drank some of the wine in the cellar."

Blueblood gulped. "How did you-"

"You suck at not acting drunk," she smirked. "Now, shut up and I won't say anything. Draco's really nice to you. You should try returning the favor."

Blueblood grumbled as he got into his bed. "Oh I will," he muttered.

Author's Note:

In case any of you are wondering, I am trying to put a coverart, but my device is all janked up. Anywho, sorry for not posting yesterday! So remember, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night.

PreviousChapters Next