• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,965 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,965

PreviousChapters Next
Invictum Spiritus (II of ?)

Figanti stared at the enormous cannon as it was hauled through a portal. Just like their own, four ships were needed to drag it through the sky. These ships were gargantuan, bigger than the dreadnoughts blasting away at the Arthanian versions of themselves. Their cannons sprouted all across their outer hull, firing volleys of missiles and heavy blaster fire at passing fighter ships and Nera'ak. The pegasi and griffons could weave around each wave of fire, with a small thanks to their armor, but anything bigger than them was forced away. Figanti guided Eskro away from Canterlot and to his nephews, who were flying through a swarm of enemy ships. A heavy cannon fired on the three, but Derekosh roared and fired his own beam. It swallowed the shot and pierced the frigate that had fired it. As the ship went down, Figanti reached out with his Rites and shut down most of the oncoming fighters. Those that did survive were met with combined anti-aircraft volleys from the Nera'ak.

“We cannot get close enough to the Vegdor without getting blasted out of the sky!” Derekosh shouted, his Nera'ak swinging his tail around to block a number of shots. “Uncle, we need the Signa to focus the ships!”

“Our Rites aren't affecting those super-carriers!” Jaqeluu informed him, turning around to stop a group of fighters from slamming into them. Closing his fists shakily, the ships crumbled up like paper before being thrown at a cluster of cruisers. “We need to destroy one! Any!”

”Figanti!”

“What is it, Captain Armor?”

Down below, Shining Armor fended off incoming scouts while the cannons peeled away at the layers of ships in atmosphere. He grunted as a mutt jumped onto his back and knocked him over. With a quick jerk of his head back, he knocked it aside before he got up and bucked it away.

“The boarding party made it up! Prince Moon and the others are taking the marked dreadnought! Sir, do we-” An explosion set him off balance, but it alerted him as another wave of scouts made the climb up the mountain. His division fired at the ledge while the vanguards took care of any that made it close. Shining Armor wrestled one to the ground, his armor shooting a pike into its head from his hoof.

”Captain, are you alright?”

“I'm fine!” he shouted, ducking under another and bucking it unconscious. “Do we keep pressure on the ships above or do we redirect it to their Vegdor?!”

He awaited an answer, his armor firing a thruster to move him out of the way of another scout. A pair of his stallions beat it down, then turned back to the others rushing at them. Shining retreated to the cannons as his radio began to establish a link.

”Captain, until I know what time of day it is when I look at the sky, you fire at those ships like they were a stallion that knocked up your wife.”

A smirk etched itself on his muzzle as he touched the interface on his left foreleg. The few cannons he'd spared to suppress the four titanic ships swiveled remotely and continued their assault on the armada overhead. He glanced back to where the scouts were coming, then took a spear from his back and charged forward.

“We keep this courtyard in our possession until this shield falls!” he ordered his stallions.

“Sir, look!”

Turning to where his subordinate was pointing, Shining watched a number or dropships zip past them and towards Ponyville. He turned a cannon on them, blasting three into oblivion while the rest wove around the shells. “Send an alert to Ponyville! They've got boarding parties incoming!”

“And tell Quarek to be ready.” Shining watched Renkan raise her hand suddenly, and any scouts that had been climbing or that made it up went brain dead. “Captain, I'll need you to head into the city. There will be boarding parties soon, and I'd like to know I have somepony waiting at the second holding position.”

“With all due respect, Renkan, my colts and I can handle ourselves for now.” They looked out into the battle as a flock of small dropships zoomed towards them. “Alright everypony! Here they come!”

As soon as the ships reached the bubble, groups of soldiers leapt out and fell through the magic wall. Renkan and the regulars with her fired up at them as they came. Any that made it down were attacked by the Solars, The League member grunted as a round tore through her shoulder, but she held her ground and sent a shot through the soldier’s head. Her wound regenerated quickly, and she returned to firing at the invaders. The more they killed, the more that seemed to come. Shining Armor had taken the painkillers and enhancers he needed to function with his suit, but even the artificial boosts did nothing to alleviate his exhaustion.

Renkan ordered her men to take the place of the ponies, seeing the weariness in each of the guards’ movements. Her warriors slashed apart the soldiers that dropped down while the stallions used their mounted armaments to pick up where they left off. An explosion rocked the barrier, a visible crack spreading from the point of impact. A hail of cannon fire focused on it, spreading the crack further and further. Shining grunted as he used his hooves to keep a soldier from snapping its jaws at him. A guard tackled it off and bashed its head with a hoof, his armor enhancing the hit to cave its skull in. Shining got onto his comms and galloped into the castle.

“Portok, the dome’s damaged over here! We need you to fix it before they start pouring in!” He gasped as he heard a scream from one of his stallions. “Portok!”

”I… I heard… ngh, you bastards aren't getting through!”

There was a spike in magic, and then a low hum as the shield morphed in color before reverting back. He went back out to see the repaired dome, and now the boarding parties had relented. His smile waned as he felt Renkan’s energy climb, and her dragon flew through the dome. She leapt up and grabbed onto the saddle as her dragon twirled upright.

“Shining Armor, I must to get back to the caverns! There's too many wounded! Hold here until Quarek returns!” Renkan ordered. “Warriors of Loki'ir, fight with them as you would your brothers! You are under Captain Armor’s orders! I will return!”

Her dragon flew out of the dome and zoomed off to the mountain. “Captain, they're sending swarms of landing crews to the other side of the mountain. We must do something,” a regular informed him.

“Figanti! I need some Signa!”

”What for?!”

“They're sending crews around the mountain. I don't know if they're setting up an LZ, but I don't want to find out!”

A cruiser crashed into the dome, an enormous explosion blinding them momentarily.

”You'll have the Arakla riders! As soon as they are finished they will return to me!”

“Yes, sir!” Shining smiled.

A new connection linked to Shining’s armorj HUD. ”Arakla, Captain! Where are we needed?!”

“Get to the other side of the mountain and-”

“ALPHA!”

The captain gasped as a massive form dove through the shield, smashing it apart and landing on a regular. Even as the monster stuck its claws into his chest, he fired his sidearm at its head. His screams died off when his body was torn in two, the Alpha roaring at the rest of the platoon in sight.

”Captain, where are you?!”

It drew its blade and smirked as it charged forward, a group of his stallions holding their ground as the regulars fired blasters. “Make sure they aren't flanking from the other side of the mountain!” he ordered. The Alpha bashed through them like ragdolls, stomping on a Solar’s skull before continuing to rush towards him.

”There's an ALPHA after you!”

“JUST GO!” Shining bellowed as he leapt to the side. He rolled onto his hooves and aimed his mounted blasters at the beast. It lifted a hand and put up its own barrier, the shots dissipating into the wall of black.

His regiment surrounded the beast, his regulars at the front with him. “You're as crazy as us, at the very least,” a regular laughed, aiming his rifle at its head.

“Or stupid.”

They all let loose shouts as they charged, the Alpha roaring as it hurtled at them.


Ponyville



“Landing crews!” Rainbow shouted, flying down to meet with the pilots waiting in the cover of the buildings. “Twilight,” she said into her comms, “turn the castle's turrets on them! We got whatever gets past!”

”Be careful, Rainbow! Don't do anything crazy!

“Can't say I won't,” she chuckled, listening out for the sounds of engines.

“Alright, griffons!” Gilda screeched, alerting every hybrid like her. “We need to keep those fleabags from settling down right on top of us, or its game over! Now can we do that, or are you dweebs not game?!”

A resounding clang of metal on metal reverberated through Rainbow as the entire flock of griffons saluted. “Keep away from the fighters, all of you!” Quarek ordered, climbing up to a roof to see the oncoming fleet. “Report any stragglers that try to escape!”

It wasn't long before the booming sounds of the cannons at Castle Friendship started firing. Quarek put up a small barrier around every ship and militant as debris started raining down. Rainbow covered her head as a dropship crashed into a building beside their battalion, blowing up not too long after. Soon, working ships started zooming over their heads, some soldiers already trying to deploy.

“COME ON!” Rainbow shouted, taking flight with the other hundreds of ponies and griffons behind her.

Quarek leapt up and smashed through a vessel before grabbing the debris with his Rites and swirling it around. His energy cut through any ships still coming while the debris smashed into others. Loki'irian fighters zipped by to engage the transports and any fighters protecting them. The griffons and pegasi worked on taking down any that tried getting further into Ponyville. Of course, some just dumped their soldiers into the town and tried escaping, but warriors and other ponies waited for them below. Applejack galloped through the fray, her armor giving her freakish strength that let her headbutt an Arthanian across the street.

She felt a soldier lift her up from her hind legs, then toss her away. Her suit adjusted her so that she was hovering, which put her off as she fumbled to get the thrusters to turn off. A sudden whir was followed by her hind legs coiling reflexively before bucking out with the power of a bull. The soldier that tried to pounce on her had its ribcage blown inward before it was launched into another of its kind. She grimaced at the sight of its gored chest, feeling her hooves grow cold as she watched it writhe in vain. A sword struck her over the head, her armor’s barrier barely deflecting the crude blade in time for her to react.

She slapped it with the club attached to her tail, then turned and headbutted it unconscious. A series of blasts knocked her back, an alarm sounding in her helmet before a display of her foreleg showed where she'd been punctured. There wouldn't be any pain, since her suit was already applying a painkiller to her body and sealing the breach, but she still took cover in an alley.

“Applejack!” She looked up at Rainbow, her helmet opening for her to speak easier. “What are you doing?!”

“Ah can't do this!” she shouted back, tears forming as she watched a duo of soldiers rip into the flesh of a guard. “Ah can't… ah can't kill ‘em!” Rainbow went to speak, but her armor locked up as a fighter slug hit her chest. “Rainbow!”

”I'm fine… guh, that sucked.”

“Ah'm comin’ to get ya, just wait for me.”

”Applejack, you have to help them! You gotta do this just for now, and we'll never do anything like this again!”

She didn't want to kill. Just the thought of taking a being's life horrified her… but her armor had made that decision for her when she bucked that soldier.

”AJ, they aren't gonna stop like you if we don't stop them. If they get to Granny and Applebloom… they aren't gonna stop.

Applejack clenched her eyes shut as the thought crept out from the back of her mind. Just imagining her grandmare and her little sister… cornered by those monsters. She couldn't let it happen… she wouldn't let it happen.

“Okay… okay… go help ‘em up there, Rainbow. Ah'll be fine.” She smirked as a rainbow blur shot past her with other streaks of smoke and fire. A soldier rushed into the alley and sprinted towards her. Applejack yelled as she drove her hoof forward, knocking the soldier off its feet as its jaw snapped.

She trembled once more, but her armor injected anxiety neutralizers to keep her from breaking down. With her mind now pumped, she galloped back into the fray and tackled a soldier off her brother. The massive stallion let out a loud grunt as he swung a streetlight into the oncoming wave.

“You alright?” Applejack panted, bucking a soldier at her side. Her brother spat out the metal beam and swung his body around to block the maces and gore the soldier’s chest with his armor’s blasters.

“Eeyup,” he huffed. A Loki'irian warrior leapt over them and pinned a soldier to the ground with his spear, prompting their line to push up.

“They're dropping artillery on the other side of the town!” he informed them, parrying a number of attacks before moving back to speak. “We must push and get them online!”

Their suits chimed altogether, and the regulars starting running into alleys and away from the soldiers. Applejack gasped as a warrior dragged her and her brother away, then put his arms over his head. They shook as an enormous explosion outside tore away the walls around them, engulfing them in an inferno. The farm ponies had been near fire before, what with their old barn nearly burning down years before. Inside their suits, there wasn't the slightest increase in temperature. But they still held on as more explosions tried knocking them around. Volleys of shells exploded around them, one knocking Big Mac back and sending Applejack tumbling.

The buildings collapsed on top of them, and it wasn't long before the bombing stopped. The warriors and ponies dug themselves out of the wrecks they'd been in, some digging around for others and meeting with mixed results. Applejack groaned as she shoved a piece of a wall off of her. Her eyes widened when she realized she didn't hear her brother, and she hastily searched through the rubble to find him. He rose a hoof out from the bricks and stone, and she rushed over to help.

“What the tuvek (fuck) was that?!” a Mendigino bellowed, groaning as he looked to his armor. “Quarek, they're carrying bombs!”

”They're trying to establish an artillery field. The griffons shot down some transports with their cannons, now go find them!”

“Alright, we head for the wrecks near the battle and get their weapons!” a Solar shouted to them. “Stay in cover where you can find it! Some of us will stay here and draw them away!”

“Big Macintosh.” The large stallion turned to the warrior behind him. “I'll need you here. Applejack, I will need you to get them through your farm and to the batteries. Hide them in the fields and wait for our signal.”

“Ah’m not leaving without mah brother!” she replied, standing by his side. However, Big Mac put his hoof on her shoulder and shook his head.

“Ah can take care of mahself, sis,” he told her. “Go on. Ah’m not kickin’ the bucket to no hounds.”

She wanted to beg him to come with her, but the more she argued the more time she wasted. Time she could have used doing something to help turn the tide. With a bitter nod, she joined the warriors heading off to her farm. She gave him one last glance before they turned the corner and were out of sight.

“Don't you dare make Applebloom cry, Mac,” she whispered into her comm.

”Ah don't think Granny’d forgive me.”

She shook her head and galloped on, taking the lead to guide them around where the landing crews were crashing. They took cover under the apple trees they passed under, getting closer and closer to the edge of Ponyville. Applejack had them knock over a few trees for cover, giving them a place to wait in secret. The Loki'irians split up to search for the downed ships while Applejack and the rest spotted them. Any warriors left kept watch for soldiers or a ship they could destroy. The cannons on the castle barely let any ships through unscathed, but those that did make it only suffered minor or irrelevant damage. One flew by with a hole going clean through, obviously having barely avoided getting its core destroyed.

“Look,” a stallion whispered. “Near the fields.”

They all used their armors to focus on the mess of downed ships. There was a lot of movement to follow, but they could make out the soldiers carrying parts. Wrecks obscured their vision, and every ship that crashed in a ball of fire only added to that.

“They're building the artillery.”

The leader of this platoon, the Mendigino, established his link. “In the wreckage?” he asked disbelievingly.

”They have a small barrier to keep their ships from knocking them out. They're incomplete, but we can ambush and take the cannons. We must go now. No doubt they plan to take out our AA batteries.”

Applejack looked around for anything else they could be missing. “We're gonna have to drag those pieces faster than a hog gets muddy.” The warriors gave her questioning glances, but their armors hid their expression. It didn't make their confusion any less obvious. “We gotta hurry!”

The Mendigino nodded, surveying the field one last time. “Once we clear them out, all Loki'irians will bring back the artillery, and you ponies must cover us. Come!”

Their force hugged the buildings as they rounded the town, hiding themselves in the debris of buildings and vessels. It gave them their first chance to see what artillery they'd brought, and the warriors were all shaken. The cannons the horde was assembling were exactly like their own, only with subtle differences like their size and munitions. A single round, however, could tear through the castle cannons and the building itself with ease. They got ready to go, the Mendigino checking in with the other crew. When they gave the green light, their groups leapt out from the rubble.

Applejack landed on a soldier's back, knocking it down and giving her a clean shot to the back of its head. Her armor turned its blaster around to fire at the coming soldiers, which she galloped at with a warrior at her side. He clotheslined one before tripping the other up for Applejack to buck. She yelped when the last one knocked her companion down and slammed a mace into her back. Before she could react, it swung her around and bashed her into a downed fighter. Blaster fire pierced its torso several times, and it fell limp on top of her. Applejack pushed it off with frantically, looking at the black blood on her hoof.

“Sir!” The Mendigino looked over to the group he'd sent off. “These cannons have cloaks!”

A wicked smile grew under their leader's helmet. “Set the cloaks and bring them to the treeline!” He looked down to Applejack. “We need to keep them out of sight when we're laying down fire. Where would the best place be?”

She gave a quick examination over the artillery the Loki'irians were quickly disassembling. They were tall, but not bigger than some of her oldest trees. “The northern fields have the tallest apple trees. Gonna need somepony to help aim,” she warned.

“They can adjust the coordinates. Come, we must-”

”Mankot. Mankot!”

“Yes, Quarek?!” There was static for a few moments before Quarek’s voice came through again. “Repeat, sir.”

”The Arthanians are priming their Vegdor! Sergeant Solstice told me you have artillery. Is it operational?”

“It will be in just a moment!” he said, ordering the men where to haul the pieces. “Sir, those dreadnoughts must have impenetrable shields! The only way to overload them-”

”Is an attack on all sides, yes, yes. Bestials made it to a dreadnought in orbit. Inagro and his pack are taking it as we speak!”

Mankot chuckled as he lifted a barrel from the ground and started towards the northern fields. “Will Figanti have enough firepower to do his part?”

”We'll soon see. For now, get those batteries online and await my - ngh - command. Once they're in position send the Element to the castle.”

“Yes, sir.” He adjusted the firing chamber on his shoulder and ran to the cover of the trees. “Alright, set these in place quickly! I'll need half of you to return to them in the village once they're set. The rest will remain here with me!”

“Ah'm headin’ with ‘em, sir,” Applejack told him, a set of metal legs on her back.

“You're needed back at the castle. I'll arrange for a Signa to come.” She bit her tongue and growled before galloping over to where the others were assembling the weapons.

What are you up to, Quarek?


“So this… is how… Cadence felt,” Twilight grunted, funneling magic into her horn to keep the barrier over the town active. Every aircraft shot sent a pulse through her magic as it struggled to stay up. “Come on… Twilight… you can do this!”

“Calm down,” a Signa to her side chuckled. His palms rested on the pillar they used to keep the barrier active. “Quarek… will be here soon… it will be.... much… easier.”

She jerked as the cannons on her castle started opening fire on another swarm of ships. Her castle was flooded with guards and warriors, with a squadron of Signa to protect her and the castle’s anti-aircraft turrets. Solars would rush past them every so often with fresh cores for the guns. She grunted when a surge of her magic was sucked into the pillar, along with the other Signa. He laughed as he struggled to keep standing, his palms gripping the power source firmly. Twilight went to question him but was cut off when the doors bursted open as a good number of stallions and regulars ran in.

“What's going on?” she panted.

“They're dropping barriers to shield themselves from the cannon fire,” a warrior stated. “They seek to storm the castle on foot. We're here to protect you until the Signa are overwhelmed.”

“Wait… you mean… until they repel them, right?!” Twilight panickedly huffed.

The warriors spread out around the room, covering the windows and doorways while the guards kept beneath them for extra firepower. “When they cannot hold them back, they'll need to regroup,” he replied, arming his heavy rifle as the sounds of roaring echoed from outside. “They won't forsake us, Princess Twilight. Not now.”

She sighed and focused on channeling her magic into the dome. “Get Pinkie Pie on one of those batteries,” Twilight ordered. Her bubbly friend was helping down below, feeding their wounded while they recovered. Asking her to use those weapons was no small thing, but years of party cannons had given her good aim. And what better gunner than a mare with experience? “If she questions her orders, let me talk to her.”

Before he could exit, the doors thrusted open suddenly, startling their battalion as Pinkie dashed over to Twilight. “TWILIGHTICAN’T-”

“Yes you can!” Twilight exclaimed, her hoof stuffed into her friend’s mouth. “Pinkie, you've used your cannon so many times I've forgotten where you've hid it! Please… I know it's hard but - AH!”

A resounding explosion rocked them, the Signa helping to keep the magic barrier up yelling as he felt his energy being pulled in force. The two collapsed, but fought to keep their hold on the pillar.

“Twilight, come on!” Pinkie shouted as she pulled her back onto her hooves. “Twilight, I don't wanna… I don't wanna use those… explodey cannons! I'm gonna hurt somepony, I just know it!”

“Pinkie, what do you think Rainbow's doing?” she grunted, her horn shining brighter as she stabilized her magic. “Or… or Applejack… Faust, I don't think Rarity can keep her hooves clean soon. Pinkie… we have to do this sooner or later… please, Pinkie.”

Her ears fell flat and she covered her head with her hooves as she fought with herself. She was the Element of Laughter. She wanted to see everypony laughing and smiling… and she would be doing things far worse than anything before. If she didn't, however, her friends, and many others, would get hurt… or they would… they would…

“Okay…” she whispered, her armor rubbing her eyes gently. With a quick salute, she straightened up and nodded. “Okay… okay, Twilight. I can do this.”

Twilight's armor receded from her head as she smiled, her friend hugging her close. “Thank you, Pinkie,” she said quietly. “Go. They can't take this castle, so hit whatever you can.”

Pinkie bounced away quickly, heading for the top of the spire to join the others. Her friend groaned as another chunk of her mana was sucked out of her, the Signa’s armor shifting as his nose began to bleed. “This… this is what… we fight for,” he groaned, lifting his head up. “Watching the children… learning to kill. Your friend… is a pure one… like the others… afraid to kill. This will end, Princess. This. Will… end!”

The pillar pulsed as he funneled his energy into a more stable stream. Twilight sighed as some of the stress on her magic was relieved. A Signa’s power always amazed her. Even their regular squadrons were as powerful as an army of unicorns. Although now the unicorns had their abilities magnified by their suits. Their power still left her in awe, especially when they transformed. She doubted the man in front of her would have enough power to change after powering the dome with her. More explosions rang out, shaking the castle and rattling them.

“This can't be going good everywhere else.”


Dragon Mountains



“This is… ridiculous,” King Draco grunted, slamming his fist down on a soldier's head. A fighter pulled him off the ground, a group of regulars covering them as they ran to the base of the mountain. “We need our firebreathers!”

“They're spread thin as it is!” Ace shouted, digging his tail into a soldier's spine. His armor reflected a blast to his head, and his brother tore him out of the way of a sword before opening his maw and setting it ablaze. “Our fliers are too occupied as well.”

“And our carriers are in Canterlot,” King Draco snarled. A group of scouts wove through the lines and leapt out at them. The brothers saw markers on their HUD targeting them, and they exclaimed as their armor swung their arms to fire their rifles.

One made it to Ace and bit down on his arm, the armor alerting him as its teeth dug into the armor. He slammed his knee into its side repeatedly until it let go, and Draco buried the edge of his greatsword in its head. Ace grabbed the handle, took it from his brother, and twirled around to slash into a soldier. His brother took his halberd and deflected a slash before knocking it down and chopping its head in half. They tossed each other their weapons and moved up with their fighters, hacking away at soldiers as they stormed out from the forests and plains.

”King Draco!”

“What,” he grunted, his sword getting stuck in a shield, “is it?!” He threw his weapon away with his blade and tackled the soldier to the ground, biting into its neck as he held its arms down.

”It's Gengot! I have Signa pushing them towards the valleys east of you! You'll have griffons there to relieve some of the pressure, but I need some of your fliers!”

“They cannot afford to lose a single group!” King Draco shouted as a blade broke through the armor and scales on his shoulder. A warrior severed the arms of the soldier before shooting it dead. “What… what do you, ngh… need them for?!” His armor already worked to seal the wound, applying adrenaline and medical gel to his flesh.

”They're pushing every soldier they can on this front! An armored battalion is being dropped in from the north! They want to acquire a foothold!”

“Draco!” Ace snarled, kicking his brother back. A shell shot between them and hit the mountain beside them, sending rocks and dust at them. “All squadrons, we have an armored vehicle pushing the-”

“There's more!” another fighter shouted, taking cover behind a fallen boulder. Draco and Ace rushed to cover as more and more explosive rounds rained down.

“We'll draw their fire,” a warrior cackled, loading his machine rifle. The tri-barrel lit up as he and his squad leapt out and started unloading. “Flank around! The hatch is beneath it!”

“I'll go with them,” Ace said, flying low towards the warriors. A few fighters followed at his request, leaving Draco to fend off the oncoming horde with his men while the Loki'irians danced around shells.

”Brother, these machines are enormous!”

“Please, focus on securing them!” Draco roared. He stumbled back as a soldier clashed blades with him, a second leaping onto his back.

As Draco wrestled with the two, his armor clicked and his HUD went blue. Thousands of volts of electricity channeled across the surface of his armor, electrocuting both soldiers off of him. A round found its way beside him, his armor focusing its power on his vital organs as the shields were overloaded. He lost feeling for a moment, but he could see himself tumbling for a brief time. When he was still, he could tell something was off in his tail. Dragging the appendage in front of him, he could see many of his scales had been shredded and his skin beneath was weeping red. His suit covered the gash and started pumping fluids into him to keep him conscious. The grogginess still lingered, another explosion muffled by his ringing ears. He looked over to the forest and watched his brother rip a soldier out from one of the vehicles.

”Draco! Brother! Someone get him out of there!”

A warrior picked him up and slung him over his shoulder, then quickly ran to the tank. Warriors rose shields beside them to block blasters as they entered the massive machine. He groaned as his ears ceased their deafness and his tail throbbed in agony.

“These controls are like an Orkant!” a warrior laughed, jumping into the pilot’s seat. A pike stuck itself into the back of his neck, linking with his armor and nervous system. “It's exactly the same!” The tank whirred as he moved his arms, aiming them at the hordes soldiers around them.

“General, jump into the mortar,” a warrior told him, pulling himself into a gunner seat. “Your armor will translate the controls.”

“Get us to a bunker! My brother needs a doctor!” Ace ordered, climbing into the seat above the rest of them. Little needles made their way over to him, then dug into his nervous system like it did for the pilot.

Symbols of alien origin flashed through his mind before being converted into dragon text. He aimed his right claw at the targeted vehicles behind them, then closed his left into a fist. The top of the tank screeched as it launched dozens of bombs, flattening a chunk of the forest and setting most of the perimeter ablaze. He smirked as he saw his reticle locking onto passing fighter ships above.

“King Draco!” A fighter used his own armor to link with his ruler’s to replenish the gel supply. “Sire, can you hear me?”

The daze subsided some, allowing the dragon king to sit back up. “Yes… I'm fine.” He shrugged the dragon off and shook his head. “What… what is this?”

“Their machine!” Ace laughed, blowing another ship out of the sky. “A firebreather can burn a gem, but can they destroy like this?!” Draco grabbed onto a handle above himself, grunting as it opened up a compartment.

“They even have a small armory!” the pilot laughed. He aimed their cannons at the sky to knock out a dropship. “We need to get more of our warriors into these!”

“All nearby units, converge on the western forests! Take their armored forces and push them out!” King Draco said into his comms.

”Your Highness, I'll need to borrow some of those machines!”

“What for, Gengot?” he replied. Clanging on their hull alerted them to the soldiers climbing onto their vehicle. The pilot chuckled as his seat spun wildly, twisting back and forth as their tank spun them off.

”The Arthanians have a Vegdor. Once you have some more machines, push towards the Equestrian border! I'll keep the fight alive here while you secure their long range vehicles! They're attempting to destroy our Vegdor. Let's see if we cannot return the gesture!”

An explosion engulfed them in flames, but the tank’s shields held up. “Get those launchers off of us!” their pilot shouted. He drove them into the trees for cover, running over some scouts as they dodged blasts from the soldiers’ launchers.

“Brother, I'm going to lead them to the other vehicles. You stay with them and push to the border,” Ace said. Draco shook his head.

“I watched this land burn before, and I will not let it happen again. Not without me.” He handed his brother his blade and took his halberd. “We'll meet again. And you'd best return father's greatsword.”

Ace smiled and nodded firmly. “Stay alive, King Draco. Can't let me rule, now can you?” His brother laughed and pulled himself up towards the hatch. “You,” Ace said to the fighter tending to their pilot’s wound, “go with him and keep him alive.”

The fighter nodded quickly and climbed after his king. “Clear out those bombers, General!” Ace grinned maniacally as he took aim at the wide ships overhead. His smile turned even more psychotic as his HUD changed to a different targeting system.

A beam lased the bombers for the tank, aligning the mounted launchers with each bomber. Ace clenched his fist, and a volley of beams tore into them.

“Your machines are from Tartarus… and I've never been happier to be okay with that!” Ace laughed. “Show me what you Loki'irians are made of!”

Author's Note:

Okay, I feel much more confident with a chapter of this length! I know it isn't THAT long, but it is definitely the longest chapter in this story! And I hope to remedy that soon. Hope you guys are happy with the outcome so far, and as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next