• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,967 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,967

PreviousChapters Next
Fall of an Empire (VIII of VIII)


The day no griffon, dragon, or wolf-pony would forget. The day half of the city of Grypho was decorated with blood and limbs. Guts were thrown all around with dislodged heads and tails.

Draco's sword cut the griffons into pieces as he roared. An arrow heading for his chest bounced off of his armor, and the archer was beheaded immediately. Draco rammed a building, toppling the large structure onto another province of the city. He smashed his fist through another's head, then punched the ground. Grabbing hold of the earth, he pulled an enormous boulder out from the dirt and hurled it like a bowling ball down the city. Draco stomped through the hunks of griffon meat and went right up the stairs to the castle. The warriors begged for mercy, begged to be taken as prisoners. Draco punched the first griffon and forced his arm into his body to rip out his heart.

The second had the pleasure of being de-spined from the tail. Draco tossed aside the carcasses and grabbed onto the metal doors, grabbing it like a piece of papers and ripping it off its hinges. He stomped into the throne room, growling when he noticed the coward supreme wasn't present. There was, however, a platoon of griffons shakily standing in his way. He roared again as he charged forward faster than they could register. He pulled a griffon's head off and bashed it through a second's throat. Grabbing the fallen spears, he slashed at the rest of the line, hacking off limbs first and skewering their heads like the pieces of meat they were.

He kicked aside the bodies and kicked down another metal door, following the griffon king's scent. The smell of fear and anxiety pervaded his nostrils, and he broke into a full sprint once he had the trail. He bashed down the door to the barracks, the smell greatest in the room. Snarling quietly, he scanned the room for any movement around the bunks. The dead silence lingered before Draco roared.

"I KNOW YOU'RE IN HERE!" Draco bellowed. "FACE YOUR DEATH WITH SOME COURAGE YOU COWARD!"

He tossed a bunk off to the side, then took hold of two more and threw them into the other bunks. The beds tumbled and fell throughout the room, but still no movement. He was ready to tear the place apart, until he remembered the emperor had wings. Looking up slowly, he locked gazes with the whimpering emperor. Draco let out a small, low roar as he jumped up. Grypho fell to the floor and scurried between his legs to get to the hall. Draco pursued instantly, gaining on the bastard meter by meter. Just as they reached the throne room, Draco grabbed him by the tail and swung him into the floor, smashing him around like a ragdoll. When the feathered wuss was groaning and bleeding, he lobbed him onto the throne. Draco bent the arm rests to imprison the emperor as he decided how he would end it.

He grabbed hold of the emperor's beak, and ripped off the top piece. The griffon shrieked in anguish, tears streaming into the bloody mess accumulating on his face. Next, Draco ripped off his paws then talons, and tore his tail in two. He stabbed the upper beak into the emperor's shoulder, readying to cut his head off with his own beak. That was… until he heard the voice.

Will you exact revenge? Kill in cold blood rather than for those you wish to protect?

Who… what do you want?!

That matters not, boy. Will you actually exact revenge? Is that all that matters?

I'm gonna kill him and be done with this damned war!

Are you? Are you doing this for Equestria? For the Kingdom?

I'm doing this because this flankhole deserves to die!

He does, but you've insulted him enough and dishonored him. I thought you better, ninjot.

I DON'T GIVE A FUCK! HE'S DYING NOW!

Then calm yourself! Think of the reason you wish to end the bastard, then end him like the warrior you are!

Draco's ragged breathing slowed sluggishly, and the materials over his skin flowed back into the openings. His vision cleared from the murky black into his own, and he was horrified at his own actions. He tossed the emperor's beak aside and grabbed Ember's dagger, placing the tip into his chest. The griffon's choked strains were a symphony unlike any other, but it ended along with his life. Draco sheathed the dagger, pulled out the swords and spearheads in his body, and stumbled down the steps. He looked out over the city, seeing Moon, Shadow, Peck and their army waiting for word. He raised his arm and clenched his fist while nodding. The crowd broke into roars and shouts of jovial cheering. Peck hugged Shadow, and Draco walked slowly down to Moon. They walked back down the damaged city streets, keeping their gazes forward.

They reached the corner where a building cut off the streets, and Draco knelt down to Ember's body once again. He looked at the blood soaked gauntlets on his hands, clenching them in anger as he restrained a sob.

I can help.

Help? I think you've done enough.

I can save her.

Draco gasped silently, his eyes widening as well.

W-W-What? How?

Place your hand on her head, and your other on her chest.

If you so much as hurt her-

I give you my word. Now do as I said.

Draco placed his right hand over the wound, then his left on the bloody back of her head. He waited silently, while Moon eyed him curiously. "Draco?"

"Shh." His arms felt weak, and his eyes began to darken.

What are you doing?!

I need control to save her.

I'm not letting you out.

She can still be saved, Reku'un. Just sixty seconds and you will have control.

He lowered his gaze to Ember's face. Her expressionless mouth and closed eyes caused his heart to sting.

Just help her… please.

Do as I say.

Draco allowed the malicious looking vision to overshadow his. He felt something surge through his arms, and in another second his mark began glowing. This time, it was white instead of black, and his vision cleared slightly. Ember's body was surrounded in a hue of cerulean aura. A faint heartbeat reached their ears, and it sped up until it was at a steady rhythm. She sucked in air raspily, and her rising and falling chest made Moon's jaw drop.

"Draco… you…" Shadow and Peck stood behind them, watching the spectacle in amazement and wonder.

The blue aura vanished as quickly as it had appeared. Draco placed his arms under her neck and legs and raised her up. A tear fell through a crack in his helmet as he watched her rest.

It will be a few days before she wakes.

Thank you.

"That was some show," Shadow chuckled. "Didn't know you could bring back the dead."

Draco chuckled softly, holding Ember closer. "I didn't know either," he whispered.

Moon smiled as he imagined the smile under the helmet. "We should head back to the Kingdom and tell King Draco," Moon said.

"Will you be alright?" Draco asked Shadow and Peck.

"We'll be fine. Guess who's next in line for a reform?" Peck giggled as she wrapped a talon around Shadow.

Draco nodded. "Maybe we'll see each other soon," Draco said. "I'll send word to the Minotaurs for the survivors."

Shadow nodded and looked out to the city. "It's gonna be a while before everything's fixed up," he sighed. "But good things come to those who wait."

"The dragons will help you," Draco laughed. "It won't be long. Good luck."

Shadow nodded. "You too. C'mon, Peck," he waved. "Let's go get the others."

Draco watched the two fly off, then turned to Moon. "C'mon," he chuckled.

"Shouldn't we call a carrier?" Moon questioned.

Draco shook his head softly. "I think it's a good time to walk," Draco chuckled, grunting as some of the cuts on his body stretched. "You can go if you'd like."

Moon smiled and nudged Draco. "We're brothers, remember?" Moon laughed. "Together til the end."

Draco nodded and looked off to the sun. He peered down to Ember and let his tears drip onto her cheek, which she grunted incoherently to.

We're going to see the Statue of the Sun, Ember. The three of us. Just sleep now. You'll be better before you know it. Maybe in a couple of years, we'll live in a small house, you'll be so mad when I tell you to wash the dishes, or make the food, and you'll make me do one or the other. Then we'll laugh at the time I had to save your ass, and you'll tell me you saved me more. And then I'll tell you you saved me in more ways than one. And then… we'll lay in bed, you'll tear apart the covers and we'll have to buy new ones. Then, I'll tell you I love you, you'll say it… and we'll just sleep in each other's arms every night until I die. I love you, Ember. I love you.

They stepped out of the city and walked. For three days and three nights, Draco and Moon walked with Ember in his arms. They stopped to feed themselves and give Ember as much water as she was able to swallow subconsciously. Moon had walked further distances, but Draco tired out from the weight of his armor and Ember and her armor. On the third night, he made his way through the brush of a forest and looked upon a field of apple trees. He guessed they were back in Equestrian borders, but the only thing he concerned himself with was rest. He sat down and leaned against one of the apple trees, holding Ember while Moon pawed at the ground to spread out the grass. He curled up and yawned softly, and within minutes he was asleep.

Draco was surprised to see Moon sleeping at night, but he did make him walk all the way from Grypho to somewhere in Equestria. He glanced up to the full moon above, a brow furrowing as he noticed the mare shaped illusion was gone. Shrugging mentally, he leaned his head atop Ember's, savoring the sound of her breaths as sleep overtook him.



The dark energy broke the spells of friendship and harmony, allowing the thousand year captive to free herself of her prison. The mare imprisoned within the moon cackled madly as she looked upon the Earth, a sinister smirk adorning her armored face.

"Equestria will fall dark. FOREVER!" She bellowed as she teleported. Nightmare Moon appeared before her other half's sister, who looked upon her with a calm expression. "Hello, sister."

"You are not my sister," Celestia replied. "Do what you will with me, Nightmare. But never think of yourself as Luna, or my sister."

An indigo beam shot out to Celestia, who took the blast directly and fell to the hurt knee. "You don't know how long I've waited, Celestia," Nightmare snickered. "To see you bowing before me. Knowing you were completely helpless! I've grown stronger than you ever imagined, and I will make sure you aren't around to interfere with my night. But you'll watch from the gardens you and Luna planted as your subjects suffer and blossom from my night."

Celestia felt her hooves turning to stone, and as she looked at the monster replacing her sister, she closed her eyes.

Its up to you now, Twilight. I've solved the riddles, now you must solve the puzzle. Please, rely on your friends and you'll reach a magic I lost long ago. Good luck, my faithful student.

Author's Note:

And that's the end of that. Think Ember and Draco will make love prevail? Or will it be somepony else? And will Nightmare Moon defeat our cast? OF COURSE NOT! WE ALREADY SAW IT! Let us just see how everypony reacts to a presumed dead Draco. I'll meet you there, so remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next