• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
A New Family

Moon walked beside Draco as they made their way through the east wing of the castle. The three days that passed before Draco woke up had been spent healing and caring for any injured Loki'irians… and also gathering the dead for a ceremony of their fallen. The halls were still full of other Signa and regulars hurt from the battle. Many were covered in bandages, some had broken limbs, and others were unconscious.

It pained Draco to see his people this way, and to add insult to injury they tried to formally greet him. Regular Loki'irians didn't see him the same way a Signa did. To them, as he was told, the Doshu'um and Makti were thought to be the ones that could handle anything. They were more faithful than any Signa could ever be, and every Signa warrior knew it. There were only a few familiar energies around the castle, which frightened him and brought back his dreary demeanor.

"I can't believe this happened," Draco lowly said. Moon's ears flicked towards him, but he kept his gaze forward. "I… Moon… I know I couldn't prevent it but… I can't help but feel angry that I couldn't do anything to stop this."

Moon shifted closer and nudged his cousin. "You act like no pony else would feel this way," he said softly. He could see the anger behind his calm expression, but he was controlling it. "Draco… I'm glad you know that this was unavoidable… and I understand why you're angry. You'd be… well, cold-hearted if you weren't."

"Moon, I just don't want this feeling anymore," Draco sighed, running his hands through his hair. "That thing isn't inside me anymore, but I don't want to ever feel that kind of anger."

His cousin sighed, guiding him around a corner and past more rooms of injured Loki'irians. "Draco, you cannot just block that anger," Moon told him. "You shouldn't go on with that anger bottled up, and you really shouldn't let it out like usual." Draco gave him a light shove, to which the wolf laughed. "I'm just saying that your anger, and everypony else's, will always occur. It's what you decide to do to get rid of it that matters."

Draco mulled it over in his head before finally exhaling and glancing to Moon. He put an arm around him and pulled him close for a brief embrace. "Thanks," he said softly. "Now I remember why I turned to you."

"Because I'm a thousand years old?" Moon laughed, pushing his cousin slightly. Draco shook his head, then stopped as they reached Ember's room.

He could smell her behind the door… along with Urishana's and Ember's and… another scent. It was unfamiliar… and faint. Moon grinned when he saw Draco sniffing constantly, knowing he could smell the hatchling's scent.

"Are we going in?" Moon chuckled, nudging Draco forward.

"Um… y-yeah, of course," he stammered, stepping forward. His hand hesitated as it reached up… and when he touched the door he felt an immense amount of anxiety hit him.

Moon watched Draco stand motionless, his palm against the door. He remembered feeling the same way when he returned. Rushing him would only make it worse, and not saying anything would give his anxiety more time to draw this out.

"It'll be fine," Moon told his cousin, prompting him to look back. "She isn't expecting you… but it will mean a lot to her is she sees you. She's wanted to this whole time."

Draco sighed as he moved his hand away. "What… what do I say?" He murmured. "'I'm back.' 'I'm fine.' It's just… I don't know what she'll think… I mean, look at me."

Moon shrugged. "It isn't much of a difference," he laughed, hitting his cousin's good arm. "Are you still Draco?"

"Well…"

"Forget that, then," Moon laughed, shoving his cousin again. "Are you still you?"

Draco slowly nodded, shaking his head with a grin.

"Do you love Ember?"

"Of course," Draco quickly answered.

"Does she love you?"

"She… she does… yeah."

Moon smirked and pushed Draco towards the door. "Then what does your look matter to her?"

Draco realized how ridiculous this whole thing was. What was he so worried about? This was his fiancé; his lover. They'd been through Tartarus and back, through more than anything either of them could have done alone. She was there for him, and he was there for her. He wasn't supposed to be anxious. He was supposed to be eager. And honestly, he was.

Without another thought, he put his hand on the door and opened it. He saw Urishana turn towards him, then… he saw Ember's sleeping form. His bravado vanished in an instant, replaced by a bit of anticipation and glee. Her chest rose and fell calmly, relieving him of his concerns from earlier. Urishana motioned for him to stay quiet, smiling as he stepped closer to her bed. She looked as beautiful as he'd remembered. Draco sat beside her, the shift of the bed causing her to stir. She groaned softly, and he froze as she sat up. Her claw rose to rub her eyes, and when she moved them away, she gasped.

There was a mutual silence… their eyes never losing sight of one another as they stared. Ember stared at the wounded man in front of her. He was certainly bigger… clearly stronger… and he looked much older than before, a more masculine look replacing his adolescent charm. But… his eyes were still that cosmic-hazel she adored… and his hair was just as ragged as before, if not more unkempt. The bandages weren't new at all, they were actually becoming a normal thing for her (frighteningly). She could see the outer change…

…but his eyes still held that loving fire.

Simultaneously, the two reached out for one another and pulled close for a passionate kiss, closing their eyes as they relished in the feel of one another. When they pulled away, they embraced tightly, holding each other and promising the world couldn't separate them if they tried. Ember sniffled as her eyes watered, and she cried into his chest, reaching up and nuzzling his cheek occasionally. Seeing her so emotional prompted him to let his own emotions pour out, and their tears mixed as they nuzzled one another. He reached up with a hand and stroked the spines atop her head, Ember running her claws up to the sides of his face. Both lovers resumed their stare, smiling and crying all at once.

"I missed you," Draco whispered.

Ember nodded, kissing his lips again and pressing her head against his. "I missed you, too," Ember replied, just as quiet and broken as her lover. "I-I thought… Urishana told me you were hurt but I couldn't—"

"Ember," Draco chuckled, placing a finger on her lip. "You don't have to explain anything… I just… I'm just happy to see you after all this…"

He pulled her back into a hug, making sure he was gentle for both of their safety. They kept close to one another for some time, reacquainting themselves to the touch of their lover. Moon smiled happily as he watched them, glancing to Urishana as she was practically beaming with the fact that he didn't notice the other dragoness in the room.

Ember noticed Urishana's gestures, then grinned as she pulled away from him. He was confused as to why, but she only gave him a loving smile. "A lot has happened, Draco," she said to him, wiping her tears away. "So much…"

"It's fine, Ember… I'm here now," he told her, holding her claws.

She giggled and shook her head. "I didn't mean it in a bad way," she sighed, looking over his shoulder. "I… I want you to meet someone."

Draco rose a brow once again, but she only smiled brighter as she tried to stand. "Ember, you shouldn't—"

"Urishana… please," Ember grunted. Draco stood and held her claw as she stepped onto the floor.

Just like his awkward walk from before, Ember staggered a few steps before falling into Draco, who kept her standing. It was only now that she saw how big he'd truly become. He was only half a foot taller than her before, but now he was two heads taller than her. The change was remarkable, but she focused on getting her bearings. Draco held her claw and placed a hand on her shoulder as she adjusted slowly. She stumbled around the bed and towards the smaller one to the left of the entrance. Once again, Draco was confused as he walked over, but Ember walked in front of him and reached down for something.

When she turned around, he realized that something… was a hatchling.

Ember smiled as she cradled Dawn, nuzzling her cheek as she snored quietly away. She'd heard Draco's small gasp as she moved the blankets away from her daughter's face, and she turned to him. His expression was complete shock… and it slowly ebbed as he looked closely at the small dragoness. His eyes widened when he saw his own family insignia on her small claw, and her little yawn made his heart melt. Ember moved closer to him and nuzzled his cheek, leaning against his chest as she hummed softly.

"Do you want to hold her?" Ember asked softly.

Draco's hands answered her question as they sluggishly moved up to the hatchling. Ember carefully gave him Dawn, and she smiled as she saw his previous reaction melt into happiness. He smiled and stared at her as she slept soundly, her little chest rising and falling. Ember hugged him from the side as he stifled a sob, but his tears fell freely as he tried to contain his joy.

"She's ours," Ember whispered, stroking her daughter's spines. "Her name is Dawn. She's… our daughter, Draco."

He was at a loss for words as he looked at his… his daughter. The little dragoness in his arms… the tiny infant he was carrying was… his daughter… his own flesh and blood… and scales. Dawn… Dawn was a perfect name for her. He carefully cradled her in one arm while he reached up with a hand to touch her face. It felt… extremely soft… but even more comforting. His touch caused Dawn to gurgle and grunt softly as she opened her eyes, gazing up at the large man she would call ‘Father’.

"Hello, Dawn," Draco silently cooed, bringing her closer.

She giggled as he nuzzled her little nose with his own, and she gurgled just as happily as he held her up. A small sneeze made her shake, and Draco wiped her little nose while she continued to make noises… noises made when he cooed and smiled at her. Dawn's claw reached up to him, and he put his finger in her claw for her to grab. Ember giggled as Dawn tried to bite on his finger, but missing her teeth made it adorable. When she was done gnawing on him, she reached out to him again. He brought her closer, his daughter laughing as she was lifted higher, and watched as she placed her hand on his face.

"Eeeaahbbbblllll," she gurgled, laughing as she tried grabbing his nose.

Ember and Draco laughed, along with Moon and Urishana as Dawn played with her father's different face. She let out a long and tired yawn through her laughs, however, and Ember went to slowly take her. Dawn murmured as she nibbled on her own claws and leaned into her. Draco hugged his fiancé as they looked down to their quickly fading child… and only one thing crossed Draco's mind that meant anything significant.

"This is our family, Ember."

Author's Note:

I enjoys every second of writing this chapter. It gives me a warmth I know I'll one day feel for myself. But anyway, I hope you guys enjoy this chap as much as I did, and as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! And to anyone who's expecting a baby: (whoever that might be :P) congratulations! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next