• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,965 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,965

PreviousChapters Next
Invictum Spiritus (I of ?)

Figanti scanned the skies, waiting for an energy to appear. His communicator rapidly alerted him, and he opened up a public channel. "Dozens of space-time distortions! Everyone ready your weapons! This is it!"

No Signa would forget the energy they felt. It felt malicious, as if it was the manifestation of evil itself. And it grew, and grew, and soared past anything any Signa could ever hope to achieve. Figanti snarled as his energy was quickly dwarfed by this insatiable power. He leaped off of the tower and mounted Eskor, then dove to the Signa hiding beneath the city. Hundreds of Nera'ak and dragons were gathered in wait. Jaqeluu and Derekosh rode their dragons to the frontal resistance, while Agner hurried inside the dome. All the while, more and more blips appeared in their helmets' HUD, alert after alert lighting up as more ships exited their jumps outside the atmosphere.

Soon, the dreadnoughts began to pierce the clouds. What the Loki'irian ships had blocked out of the sun was completed by the enormous vessels. Jaqeluu stared in terror at the modified and upgraded designs. It was a mixture of Arthanian and Loki'irian tech. An abomination to engineering and scientific advantage. Their cannons whirred to life with awful screeches, rattling every Signa to their core. Several converged on the dreadnoughts above Canterlot while the rest aimed at the dome. The Alamonshuor brothers let out savage shouts as they took to the skies, followed by a fleet of fighters. Signa sent beams of energy into the cannons of the enormous ships. As they fought off the beams, the Loki'irian dreadnoughts released armies of fighters, dragons, pegasi and griffons.

From the enormous vessels came hordes of their own ships, which had been touched up as well. Nera'ak used their abilities to fend off their fire and used their size to tear them apart or knock them out of the sky. Jaqeluu sent a beam into the side of a dreadnought, then tore the blast out and swiped at a squadron of fighters. Derekosh led a small force inside the bays, blasting and slashing whatever they could before dropping bombs and escaping. A shot ricocheted off of his arm, before several stung his dragon's side, and forced him to regroup. Before he could blast a fighter from the sky, it exploded into hundreds of pieces. More explosions surrounded him, but seemed to go around him.

"Keep the cannons focused on the dreadnoughts!" he roared, catching a missile and slamming it into a passing fighter. "We will handle the hordes!"

Down below, Shining Armor calibrated the cannons remotely from his interface. "You heard him! Don't let up on them!"

The artillery refocused its efforts on the enormous ships, disabling what they could while the armies above fought. Meanwhile, Celestia and Luna hung above the scene with Chrysalis, their armors matching their individual colors. The solar princess wielded a spear, while her sister kept her halberd against her shoulder. Chrysalis seemed content with her own abilities as they stared down.

"No holding back this time, girls." The sisters chuckled at the bug queen's comment. "Where is he, anyway?"

"He wouldn't avoid something like this," Luna huffed, eyeing a cruiser that seemed to be aiming its cannons at them.

Just as it fired, its cannon turned into a nozzle and shot a glob of chocolate. Luna shielded them from the candy, then watched as the ship came alive and started vomiting out soldiers. A wisp of chocolate floated up to them, taking on a form they knew all too well. Before their eyes, the god of chaos yawned and stretched out his bizarre form.

"Oh, what's with all the armor and pointy things?" he snickered, flicking Celestia's armored muzzle. "I thought you wanted to make this interesting. After all, it's been SO long since you two got your hooves dirty."

"As it has for you," Celestia replied, her horn igniting as she grabbed a pair of fighters racing towards them. She threw them into a passing swarm of them, causing several explosions to ensue.

Discord's eyes widened in delight at the display. "I love this new you, Celestia! So violent! Disregarding a being's life! It's so... barbaric!" he cackled, disappearing in a cloud of smog. Chrysalis gasped as he appeared on her armor's display. "And you've even gotten the bug butt herself to join your cause. Oh, how thoughtful!"

"Enough!" Luna shouted, adjusting her halberd to an offensive position. "Casualties are beginning and we must help! No restraints. Do whatever you must, Discord!"

His smirk grew sinister, and he nodded softly. Luna extended the edge of her weapon via her magic and shot towards a dreadnought. She slashed in the air, sending enormous slices of her magic into its surface. Explosions erupted from her strikes, prompting other fighters to turn to her. She engulfed herself in a bubble while she flew away, turning to slash at them after twisting and turning between their fleet. Celestia grabbed bunches of fighters from the sky, then bashed them into the bigger ships. Her horn lit up, followed by her spear, and she jabbed her weapon forward. An enormous and amplified beam of magic slammed into the engines protruding from the back, tearing through shields and ripping off chunks of the ship's hull.

The changeling Queen fired up her own horn and zoomed between the cruisers. Her horn shot out gunky green ooze that clung to whatever she hit. She took strings of the slime and attached it to other ships, while still shooting more of it to strengthen the ties. Fighters became tangled in the slime while the cruisers struggled to fly in different directions. She pooled her goo inside the cannons as quickly as she could, causing the armaments to explode. She shouted as a blast hammered into her back, almost like a stiff pillar slamming her downwards. Her armor shot thrusters forward to stabilize her, and she buzzed around to avoid incoming shots from the surrounding vessels.

Before a fighter could ram into Celestia's side, a giant metal hand caught it and crushed it. She turned to see a massive creature made of metal standing atop a pair of dreadnoughts, which were quickly falling from the weight. Massive amounts of fighters converged on the beast as it tore into the motherships, but were slapped away by arms shooting out from its body. Other ships slowly rotated to aim at the monstrosity, but their cannons were torn from their hulls. A large, goopy creature leapt from ship to ship, ripping off the weaponry and devouring it. With every mouthful, it grew bigger and bigger, while any blasts that hit its body were absorbed or passed right through. It surrounded a dreadnought in its body, the chemicals searing away any metal or flesh inside. Discord sat away from the battle on a cloud, using a pair of strings to guide the monstrous brothers on their rampage.

Jaqeluu flew into a swarm of fighters, his Nera'ak closing its wings and curling up into a protective ball. After some seconds of blasting, the fighters all made erratic turns as they plummeted to the ground. The Oracle shook his head as his dragon began flying en route to a group of Nera'ak. His helmet's radio crackled before he established a link.

"Jaqeluu, we need a path to breach the atmosphere!" There was a grunt and what sounded like men yelling. "They're too clustered for us to reach the orbital ships!"

He looked to the dragons falling from the sky, along with his kinsmen. With a small snarl, he guided his dragon over to a cruiser and leapt onto the bridge. "When you see the path, you must be headed through!"

"We're taking to the skies now!"


Moon's pilot was barking orders at both the crew and his fellow pilots as they began to take flight. "Jaqeluu, we need the opening now!," he shouted. A round tore through their ship, ricocheting off of a griffon's helmet and knocking him out. "Fall in line!"

Dropship after dropship took off, soaring past their ship before they joined the caterpillar formation, weaving through traffic and rounds as they awaited their opportunity. Moon glanced outside, and he was left speechless. The dreadnoughts and frigates glowed a menacing green as they were pulled away from one another, some falling apart and exploding from the invisible force. The shuttle lurched forward as the engines went into overdrive. The squadron of dropships lined up as they flew into their passage, dodging debris and any ships still in the center.

An explosion rocked the shuttle, waking the unconscious griffon abruptly. Inagro shouted out a curse before stabilizing the dropship and deploying countermeasures. Moon felt his body go numb for several seconds before he was shaken back to a functioning state.

"Internal atmospheric conditions are up," Orgos explained, grunting as the ship dipped to the side. "How much farther?!"

"We aren't taking the scenic route, Orgos!" Inagro barked, pulling various maneuvers to avoid incoming fire. "Nuru Formation!"

The dropships began to cluster up, the tips of their wings sending arcs of light towards one another. Orgos stood up as a small rod rose from the floor. He grabbed it and started focusing his energy into his palm. Their ship's surface glowed green in his aura, and the others glowed their own respective colors. The beams connecting each ship exploded outwards, covering them in an impenetrable bubble. Moon glanced outside and saw the hangar door of a dreadnought opening up.

"They're readying a squadron!" Moon called. Inagro pressed a key on his holo-pad and rushed into the hold.

"That ship will save us the hassle of blowing it open. Niraka, take Moon and Orgos to the ship's starboard gunner positions. Advance on the port side cannons afterward. Hutono, you and I will lead the charge for the bridge." His armor clicked into place, attaching itself to his nerves. "Once we have the ship, we'll need to modify the core to sustain a barrier. I'll contact the next wave when we have full control."

"Take care of my brother, Inagro," Orgos growled, readying his rifle.

Moon, Niraka and their task force stood up and armed themselves. A field passed over them, and the air grew heavy with scents of the monsters outside. The ship groaned as its blasters opened up from the nose. The doors shot open, and blaster fire rained down on the shielded aircraft from all sides. The other dropships were lined up beside them, dropping their own crews into the fray. They dropped down behind the kinetic barriers and started firing away. Soldiers wove through the dozens of fighter ships as they fired upon the boarding party.

The pilots focused their fire on the other vehicles and aircraft inside the hangar, lighting up the area in explosions and fires. Moon waited behind a piece of debris as his pack and others fired at the onslaught before them. Hutono and Orgos transformed inside their armors and started to slowly move up. Their armors linked together and formed a bubble around them. Their pack moved inside as the other boarding parties used the same formation to push up towards the exits while the dropships demolished everything around them. When they were closer to the wrecks of ships, soldiers leapt out from the messes and into the bubble. Moon bit a scout’s head and tore it off of Orgos, then ducked under a soldier’s club and tackled it.

He tore his claws through its throat, then leapt onto a soldier fighting Inagro and slashed its back repeatedly. Niraka let off a shot inside, killing the other four soldiers with well placed ricochets.

“Do not try that again!” Inagro shouted, lowering his sister's weapon. “You could kill us all!”

“Inagro!” Moon barked, nodding to the other crews. They were taking much more of the remaining force, including some scouts that hadn't attacked them.

“You four push towards the bridge,” he ordered, transitioning halfway into his Bestial form. “I will secure our squadrons and head up after. Do NOT take the bridge alone.”

Orgos barked in acknowledgement, and their Alpha fully transformed before leaping over to the other packs. When they reached the exit, another pack bounded out from the battle. Their shields lowered and they formed up. “Inagro’s?” one of them asked.

Niraka nodded. “Let's clear the way for the others,” she said. The man nodded and transformed, his body thickening and his skin solidifying in front of them. The others did the same, and soon there were nine beasts bounding through the corridors of the dreadnought.

Our two packs cannot clear the bridge. We will push as far as we can until the others catch up, understood?

The other pack’s Alpha nodded to Orgos, then relayed the orders to his beta and runts. Moon bounded up ahead, smelling the stench of soldiers just in the room ahead.

The armory is ahead!

Niraka, Hutono, revert back and grab as many weapons as you can! The rest of us will clean out any that try to escape.

The Alpha from their partner pack leapt forward and gather his strength for a much more powerful bound, sending him straight through the door ahead. He smashed into a pair of soldiers and crushed them against the far wall, his tail whipping around the neck of another soldier that leapt up behind him. As he severed its head from its body, Niraka and Orgos fought their way to the weapon racks across the room. The rest of the Bestials and Moon tore into the other Arthanians. A club smacked into his head, a jagged pike scraping his eye.

The other pack’s beta tackled the soldier off, but he let out a pained roar as a sword dug into his spine. Moon bit down on the soldier’s arm, tearing the arm from its socket before he skewered it's head on a pike his armor formed. As the sounds of tearing flesh subsided, the Bestials returned to their normal forms and rushed to the wounded beta.

“Does anyone have gel?!” the Alpha shouted, his hand encompassed in his energy. “Anyone?!”

“Yes, here!” Niraka handed him a small tube filled with a blue substance.

He extinguished his energy and dumped a bit of it on his palms. The beta bit down on a soldier's rifle as he watched his leader reach towards his wound. The gel bubbled and hissed as it was rubbed into the wound. Moon squirmed as he watched the man growl and smash the weapon between his teeth. The wound closed, blood trickling down his side as his skin sewed itself together. His armor reinforced itself over the wound, a slight bulge forming on his back.

Niraka and Orgos dropped a pile of rifles, blades and devices. They picked through the inefficient weapons and armed themselves with what they could. Moon couldn't use any of it, and so he kept watch while they readied to move on.

As they got their equipment ready, their comms lit up. Niraka’s gaze turned to horror as she listened, and Orgos snarled angrily.

“They… they have their own Vegdor…”

Moon's ear drooped, and his body started to shake. “We have to use this ship to destroy it!” Orgos proclaimed, smashing his fist into the wall. “They CANNOT charge that weapon! Come on, we must take the bridge!”

“Inagro said-!”

“Niraka!” She turned to Moon, his eyes stern and his armor assorting itself to reveal his face. “Inagro will catch up. If they can't take it down on the surface, we must take it down from here. We can blast it to Tartarus with this vessel’s forward cannons.”

“My pack will be yours,” the Alpha stated, holding his hand out to Orgos. “We will be right behind you.”

Orgos grinned and grabbed the man’s forearm, the two nodding resolutely. “Your name?”

“Malshuom.”

“A Nunik clansmen… this should be fun,” Orgos smirked. “Come. There are soldiers that need slaying.”

Author's Note:

Yes, yes, I know :twilightsheepish: :twilightblush: It's been a long time. A REALLY long time, but school is kicking my ass, and sadly I've lost my will to write. Let's just say I've had the strongest Writer's Block possible. I had this sitting around and I touched it up a bit and extended it slightly. I want to have longer chapters, and I will! I promise you all, I will finish this story exactly how I imagined it.

Hope you all enjoyed this chapter! As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next