• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
…Hope Can Diminish…


"Are you sure this will work?" Moon asked his cousin.

Draco nodded, glancing out the window of the train to the blur off forests and grasslands rushing by. "Maybe," Draco said. "She was talking about seeing the Statue of the Sun. Maybe if I show her she'll have a flashback or something."

"Draco… I don't want to diminish your hope, but I'm not sure this will work," said Moon. "She hasn't seen it… so there would be nothing to remember."

"She'd remember asking about it. She'd remember talking to me about it," Draco retorted, nervously thrumming his fingers against his leg. "Look, this is the only thing that I can think of that could possibly bring her back to me-us. If it doesn't work… we can just send her back to King Draco… or whatever she wants."

Moon wrapped a paw around his shoulders and sighed. "Please… I don't want to see you so depressed. I know you loved her, and don't say you didn't, but if this doesn't work…"

Draco sighed and rubbed the bride of his nose. "I just want to have her back, Moon," he whispered. "Twilight and Rainbow told me they… liked me more than just friends… and I do too, but me and Ember have gone through so much. But they were my first true friends. It's just a damn mess in my head."

"The ponies are polygamous. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing you," Moon chuckled. Draco rolled his eyes and elbowed him in the ribs.

"I don't know… just doesn't feel right," he sighed. "I mean, it sounds like a couple with a cheating stallion and both mares know about it. It's just kinda weird."

Moon shrugged, glancing to Ember in the car behind them. "But it's the easiest way. Nevermind that. I don't want you messing anything up for yourself," Moon laughed. "Do what your heart is telling you, but don't make stupid decisions."

Draco punched him in the shoulder, and Moon pulled him off the seat to wrestle again. They lurched forward, sending the lunar wolf tumbling off his cousin, and the train screeched to a halt.

"Manehatten station!" The conductor announced.

Ember met up with them and went into the city. Huge buildings and skyscrapers made up the majority of the vast city, along with dozens of food joints, restaurants, and entertainment places per block. Draco looked at the slip of paper his mother had sent him.

"Alright. There's a hotel in the Broncs district," Draco announced. "We'll be staying there for today. Let's go check in."

"Lead the way," Moon said.

Draco nodded and ventured into the crowd of ponies, the group receiving mixed looks and glances. Some were of recognition, others of confusion and interest, and some were of disgust and revolt. Moon restrained a snarl as he noticed a group of stallions pointing them out. Draco smirked as he spotted a group of guards giving cautious glances his way, wondering what would they say if he told them who he was. A single glance to Ember made him chuckle. She was billowing smoke from her csnout, glaring back at any of the mares giving her nasty looks. Just like Ember, don't mess with her and she won't mess you up.

The three made it to the enormous building, a sign above saying "Broncs Hotel." They walked in, and the room fell silent as they made their way to the front.

"G-Good afternoon, sir," the stallion behind the counter said.

"Hello," Draco nodded. "Reservation for three. Under Prince Draco and Prince Moon."

The stallion looked at the scheduled reserved rooms, then facehoofed and did a sloppy bow. "The penthouse suite. Top floor. Here you are, your highness'" he bowed.

"If you don't mind, please stop bowing," Moon smiled. "We're not much more important than anypony here."

"Yes, sir," the stallion nodded. "Have a good stay at Broncs Hotel."

Draco smiled at the receptionist and entered the elevator. Ember was uncomfortable in the magic operated device, and she visibly stiffened and shifted uncomfortably. Seeing this, Draco placed a hand on her shoulder, slightly frightening her but at the same time soothing her. She gave him a small smile, while Moon smirked again. The bell rang once, signalling their stop. The doors slid open, and the three of them marveled at the luxury of their living area.

A couch big enough for three fighters to sleep on sat in the middle of the living room, and the glass wall allowed them to see over the city below. Moon went to the other rooms, and each was bigger than the last. The dragoness was very impressed with the expensive merchandise and furbishing, but it seemed like a bit much.

"All we needed was three beds," Draco chuckled, much more accustomed to the small living quarters in the mountains.

"At least they treat us as royalty," Ember laughed, going into the bathroom. "Seven different shampoos? And soaps?"

"It's still better than what we've had," Moon called, halfway sunken into fhe couch. Ember and Draco laughed a bit, briefly meeting the other's gaze.

"So… we could head out whenever you guys want," Draco smiled subconsciously at Ember. "Or now, if you'd like."

"Perhaps we could… rest up until then," Ember suggested hesitantly. "I'm… still a bit tired."

"Sure," Draco nodded. "Maybe we could get something to eat before we go for the Statue?"

"Sounds good," Moon called. "My mother recommended a griffon restaurant near the edge of town."

"Is it wise to visit a griffon establishment?" Ember questioned, leaning against the wall with her arms crossed.

"We won. Remember?" Draco chuckled. His laugh died down quickly as Ember's stern gaze reminded him of her condition. "Sorry… I-I-"

"It's fine," Ember smiled. "I'll see you both in a while." She turned and went to the nearest bedroom of the penthouse.



Draco, Moon, and Ember went back downstairs, the dragoness and celestial prince holding hand and claw. They made their way back into the street, where hundreds of ponies were walking by.

"'City that never sleeps,' yes?" Moon chuckled.

Draco nodded with a laugh, as did Ember. "Let's go."

Ignoring the stares of the ponies, the three friends walked through the evening streets. They occasionally glanced at the knick knacks in the shops, stopped to watch some performers, and even laughed as a few colts slipped firecrackers into a stallions mane. The pony galloped to the nearest shop and ran inside, presumably to get to the bathroom. Moon kept an eye out for the shop, nudging Draco when he spotted it. They crossed the busy street and went in. The small restaurant smelled heavily of roasting meat (and a few whiffs of raw steak) but the three drooled at the carnivorous delicacies.

The host spotted them, and immediately beamed and bowed to each of them. "Good evening!" She chirped. "If you don't mind me asking, are you three the Freedome Trio?"

They raised their brows. "Freedom Trio?" Moon chuckled.

"The leaders of the dragon coalition?!" The griffoness squeed. "Princess Ember, Prince Draco, and Prince Moon?!"

Draco laughed boisterously while Ember and Moon chuckled softly. "They named us the Freedom Trio? What, are we superheroes?" Draco chuckled.

"You are to every griffon and griffoness on Earth!" She exclaimed. "My name is Lean Dive! Shadow! Shadow!"

A dark grey griffon with red tipped feathers glanced over to her, the three guests, then came over. "Something wrong, Dive?" he questioned. Draco and Moon stared harder at the familiar looking griffon.

"These are the ones that killed Grypho!" The entire room fell silent, a plate falling off a servant griffons claw and spilling water and broken glass.

"THE Freedom Trio?!" A griffon called.

"Showed that bastard what for, eh!" Another shouted.

The entire staff and diners began to cheer loudly, the four ponies present looking on with curiosity. Draco glanced to Moon then Ember, and they smiled and waved to the crowd. "Did you meet a griffon by Shadow Beak?" Shadow questioned.

"Yes," Moon nodded, waving politely to the griffons still whistling. "Did you know him?"

"Son of a whore's my brother!" Shadow laughed.

"I thought you looked like him," Draco said. "Have you heard from him?"

Shadow smiled. "Yup. KING Shadow sent me enough bits to start this place! I've gotten enough customers per day to keep me in business til I die! And it's only been a couple weeks!" He laughed. "Come on, food's on the house for the griffon saviors! Want a private table?"

Draco was going to ask, as was Ember, but they both inhaled sharply and looked down. They were still holding hand and claw; Moon smiled at their realization. They quickly let go, fierce blushes lighting up their faces. Shadow chuckled and turned to Dive.

"Get them a booth upstairs," Shadow smiled. "Roof access."

"Yes, sir!" Dive saluted. "This way! And do you think I could have an autograph?"

"Why not?" Moon laughed. "Come, you two."

They gave their own small growls but followed the wolf-pony upstairs. The roof was even better than the lower floors; they could see some of the bright signs and posters around them. Dive announced who they were, and every griffon gave another round of applause and came over to chat. Some of the roof customers were actually Red Tail rebels who fought alongside them at the city of Grypho. It was renamed Dracote in honor of Draco, and then Embersh, and even Moonton.

They recalled several battles that they had at each of the cities, and some skirmishes in between. Though they were offered wine and some liquors, they refused on account of a necessary visit. But it didn't stop them from having a few laughs, or a lot. Moon retold his attacks on the first two cities along with Draco, but when asked, Ember kept silent. She very much wanted to listen to Draco and Moon. The way they painted out every battle made her wish she could remember, especially Draco's. He reveled in his own modest way of the victories he had, saying that he was glad to have killed the bastard. The griffons drank to the ex-emperor's death and in honor of those who had perished.

Moon loved seeing Draco this way. Ever since Dasher's death, he was barely this happy. Even Ember's amnesia didn't bother him for the moment. He deserved this. Draco deserved this just as much as Ember did.

They finished up their pork, duck combination of dinner and went downstairs to thank Shadow. The griffons in return thanked him, and the three were sent out the door with full bellies and brighter moods. Their next stop would be the Manehatten docks to see the Statue of the Sun, and then straight back to the Broncs Hotel.

"Did you really pike two on a spear?" Moon asked. Draco nodded with a haughty laugh.

"You doubt this?!" He exclaimed as he flexed a muscle.

Ember chuckled and smacked the back of his head with her tail. "Relax, Mister Brick Wall," Ember smirked. "But it was very impressive. I heard you say something about tearing a chariot in half?"

Draco chuckled nervously. "Yeah. That was an accident," he laughed. "But it still happened!"

"Sure," Moon chuckled. "And I ripped out a griffon's spine."

Draco shook his head with a laugh… but it faded as he remembered. He actually did that to a griffon. The bastards deserved it… for what they did to Ember. He shook his head and looked down the street, noticing they were close to the bay.

"C'mon, it's just this way!" Draco shouted as he jogged down the street. The two sped up to keep behind him, making a left and jogging to a platform just a bit out over the ocean.

Draco stopped them just before the Statue came into view, gesturing for Ember to come closer. "What is it?" She asked.

"Just close your eyes," Draco said. "Don't worry. Just do it."

The same feeling of trust washed over her questioning mind, and she did as he asked. Draco stood behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders, a small flick of her tail adding to the blush. He guided her onto the stone platform, the edges lined with metal rails and high-powered telescopes for viewing the monument. Draco could see the enormous copper statue off in the distance, rust turning it green. It depicted Celestia holding a book labeled "In Celestia We Trust" and holding a torch above her head. He and Moon assumed it was from when Princess Luna was absent.

"May I open my eyes?" Ember asked.

"Hold on," Draco said, taking her to the railing. "Alright… open your eyes."

Ember did so, and she looked out to the breathtaking monument. She placed her claws on the rail and stared while Draco and Moon stood beside her. He smiled as a small grin appeared on her snout.

"It… it's amazing," Ember whispered.

Draco nodded, watching her a bit longer before placing his hand on her claw. They blushed intensely, but he needed to know now. "Do you remember? Anything?" Draco asked.

Ember closed her eyes and took a deep breath, focusing long and hard on anything that could have popped up. With a sigh, she placed her other claw on his hand… her smile having left and replaced with a sad frown. Draco's hopeful smile… the small bit of hope he hung onto with every ounce of his being…

…smashed to nothing.

He let his hand slip free slowly, then turned back to the monument. He wasn't going to cry. No… no… no crying… it was fine. She was here… and that's all that mattered. She was alive and well… and by tomorrow's noon she would be on her way to her father.

"I'm-"

"Don't," Draco said, smiling half-heartedly. He placed his hand on her shoulder and shook his head. "This wasn't your fault. You can't remember… and that's that. But we're still friends… right?"

She nodded softly. "Yes," Ember smiled softly.

They turned back to the monument. And in that moment…

…Draco felt his heart split in two.

Author's Note:

Two updates, one day! Sorry for the delays of these chapters, main fic needed updating. As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next