• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,965 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,965

PreviousChapters Next
Good to be Back…


The dragon mountains. The smell of the forests and volcanoes were known to him, and being back in his old home brought forth a warming sensation. It would be better if Ember wasn't still shaking and growling at him. King Draco had listened to every detail of his attacks, and he scolded Draco for the mistakes and rash decisions he made. It was for that reason his daughter had forgotten, and he said as much. Draco knew it was true, but he told him that she had been doing well over the past months. But this incident was completely random.

The carrier angled itself upwards and the fighters and Draco lurched towards the ground. He smiled as he remembered his first time climbing the mountain by dragon. It turned and landed in the cave near the top of the mountain. Both Dracos made their way to the medical cavern, the fighters keeping the curious teens back. Draco nodded to all the familiar faces, his previous stay earning himself a reputation and respect. They entered the medical room, King Draco lowering his daughter onto a bed and taking another antibiotic. The same dragon that gave Draco her medications came into the room, pulling on a face mask and going over Ember. He did a number of regular procedures, ending with a claw over her chest.

"Her heart isn't beating very good," he sighed, focusing on the temperature. "Her flame is withering… and it might extinguish."

"She'll only lose her firebreath then… right?" Draco asked.

King Draco wiped a claw over his face and turned to him. "If her flame dies out, her body will follow. She'll either freeze from her Illness… or die from the strain in her muscles," he explained. "Her body… there is a high chance she won't make it."

Draco clenched his fist and glared at the king. "How can you say that?" He growled. "She's your daughter! You should be keeping faith in her! Keep hoping she'll make it!"

"This was how her sister passed." Draco fell silent, gasping as he saw King Draco release a single tear. "She was only a hatchling when it happened. Her second Illness came… and she died in her sleep. Her mother and I are were heartbroken… and we vowed to make her life as best as it could be. But… I failed. I failed her, I failed Steam, and I failed her sister. She never could take the responsibilities her sister could because she was born a runt. I prayed daily for her to grow up strong, and she has, but she isn't strong enough to endure this."

Draco looked down to Ember, memories of her old self and the first time she had her Illness. He sat beside her, holding her claw between his hands and running his fingers over the lukewarm scales. She weakly glanced at him, a mixture of anger and relief showing in her eyes.

"Keep praying, Draco," Draco said softly. "Pray for her. Pray for a miracle. And I'll pray as well."

The king nodded, looking up to the doctor who nodded. "We're going to move her in half an hour," he told them. "Let her rest until then."

Draco held her claw even longer, placing the back of her claw on his cheek. "Please, Ember… hang on," he whispered.

Her claw extended and ran down the side of his face. "I… I'll… try…" She was smiling weakly, and it only brought more tears to Draco's eyes.



Flare watched as Ember was taken to her room by a fighter escort and her father. She expected Draco to be following, but he instead headed for the training area. Out of curiosity, she followed him, keeping a safe distance from him. He practically flicked the door aside and went in, not bothering to close it. Flare moved behind the wrestling arena and watched Draco picked up a two hundred pound weight with just one hand. He smashed it into the wall, doing the same with another until they smashed to pieces.

He then started ramming his fists into the same space, tossing pieces of rock behind him and even stomping some to pieces. Flare approached him slowly, stopping completely when he suddenly stopped. She kept her breathing as quiet as possible, but she knew she had been caught.

"What are you doing here, Flare?" Draco asked, his voice cracking the whole time.

She walked over, turning him towards her. The strongest creature of all the adolescents, even now, was crying. He had his jaw clenched to prevent any sobs or whimpers, but she could tell he was hurting. She gestured for him to sit down, and he did so slowly. They kept quiet for some time before Flare cleared her throat.

"She loved you." Draco scoffed and began laughing grimly.

"You think so?" He sarcastically remarked. "I don't. She nearly died because of me, and now she barely knows who I am. Tartarus, she tried killing me a couple days ago."

Flare whipped the back of his head with her tail, and she smirked at his annoyed glare. "Stop thinking with your rear end and think," she told him. "Whenever I saw her look at you, she held the brightest smile and a very distinct glimmer in her eye. She wanted to prove herself to you… because she felt she didn't deserve you. You were the strongest of us, the fastest, the most skilled, and you were handsome to top it off."

Draco blushed subtly, and she giggled.

"She wanted to show that a dragon princess wasn't weak or useless like a princess should be," Flare continued. "She worked longer and harder than you or any other dragon in this mountain has to get as good as she was. And even with every fertile dragon's eye on her, she wanted you. She denied it to me, to herself, and to her father. She wanted to tell you when she felt she had earned your love. She wanted to be with you and no one else. And… I saw it before. She still loves you, Draco."

He sighed, running his fingers through his grown hair. "If she did love me, and thought that she didn't deserve my love, then she was wrong. I didn't deserve her," Draco said. "Ember always made me laugh, she was there for me when I wanted no one, and she even kept me safe for a time."

He chuckled as his memories of his first days in the mountain came back.

"A week ago she even fucked up some stallions and a couple mares for yelling and screaming curses at me," Draco continued. "She always wanted to keep me safe, to make sure nothing happened to me, and to make sure I was happy. But she doesn't love me… and I can accept that."

Flare stopped him before he stood up. "Can you?" She questioned. "You spent nearly ten years of your life with her, and now that you know she loved you for most of those years your just going to brush it off?"

"I'm going to accept that she never liked me that way, and that I got my hopes up too soon," he replied, pulling his arm free respectfully. "I'm going to return the kindness she showed me and take care of her, whether she dies or not. And if she… no, when she gets better… at least she'll be here to stay."

He walked out on the dark red dragoness, leaving her with a small frown. Draco clutched the necklace his mother had given him when he was six. He opened it up… and beneath the picture of him and his mother…

…was him and Ember, smiling as Moon took the picture of them on the ledge.

Author's Note:

Just gonna post this last chapter for today, because I don't want this to end by next week! So remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next