• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,967 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,967

PreviousChapters Next
First Day


"Pencils?"

"Yup."

"Crayons?"

"Yup."

"Folders?"

"Yup."

"Notebooks?"

"Yep."

"Bookbag."

Draco giggled. "Yes, Mama," he smiled.

"Good," Celestia nodded. "So, are you ready for your first day of school?"

"Yes!" Draco exclaimed. "Where is it?"

"It's just a few blocks away from Cadence's school," Celestia smiled. "You'll be going with her and Blueblood, okay?"

"Okay!" he laughed. "Where are they?"

"Right here!" Cadence called. She trotted up to him, giving him a hug then smiling. "Ready for school?"

"Ready!" Behind her, Blueblood turned the corner, then groaned as he noticed his cousin wearing a bookbag.

"Do we have to take him to school?" he groaned. Celestia glared venomously, forcing him to gulp and back away.

"We can do it, right, Blueblood?" Cadence hissed. He grunted, but nodded anyways.

"Come on! We're gonna be late!" he laughed, running down the hall.

Celestia watched the three until they turned a corner, and was then approached by a guard. "Would you like an escort for Draco, Your Majesty?"

"No, Cadence can handle anything dangerous for him," she smiled. "Return to your post."

"Ma'am."

Outside, Draco was jumping all around his cousins as they walked him to his school. Since he wasn't a unicorn or pegasus, and since it was obvious he didn't have a strong connection to the earth, Celestia had to put him in a multi-race school. It was for the few griffons living in Canterlot, and there was even arrangements for a dragon scholar to learn there.

Just in case anything were to happen, she had a few Solar Guards posing as security guards. "So what's school like? Do you guys play a lot? Are there games you can play?" Cadence giggled at his stream of questions, her brother choosing to ignore him.

"Trust me, Draco," she sighed. "School's not all that fun."

"It's increasingly tedious and difficult," Blueblood groaned. "It's pointless since I'll have the throne one day."

"If you live long enough," Cadence whispered to him. He sneered at her, then looked off to the side. "Look! There's your school!"

Draco awed as they walked closer to the building. It wasn't a remarkable thing to look at, but it was for his first time. His school was a two story, brick red and white building with a sizable yard. He could see a few ponies, some griffons, and a minotaur in the yard. The ringing bell sounded off, a bright yellow maned pink mare ushering them in.

"You're gonna be late!" Cadence said, giving him a quick hug. "I'll see you after school, okay little cousin?"

"Okay, Cadence," he chuckled. "Bye, Blueblood!"

"Goodbye," the prince snorted.

Draco ran into the yard, getting a strange glance from the teacher. He ran after the other children, who all filed into one class. Just before he caught up, he skidded to a halt.

He had no idea where he was going.

"You're the new student?" Draco turned around to face his teacher, who he stood about as tall as.

Draco nodded, a bit nervous without his mother. "Y-Yes," he stammered.

"I'm Ms. Dawn," she smiled. "You're Prince Draco, yes?"

"Just Draco's fine," he mumbled. She nodded with a smile and guided him into the class.

The mixture of species were chatting idly while their teacher entered the class with their newest classmate. A griffon student alerted the others, and they all faced the board silently.

"Class, this is Draco," she announced. "He's our newest student, so help him around the school."

Draco looked around the class, examining the griffons, minotaur, ponies, and dragon in the room. They eyed him curiously as well, especially the green dragon.

"Just take a seat over next to Ember," Ms. Dawn directed. Draco nodded, then walked between the aisles until he was sitting beside the dragon. "Class, I'll be a minute. Don't get too loud."

"Yes, Ms. Dawn," they called. She left the room, and all eyes were on him.

"What are you supposed to be?" a black and white griffon with red-tipped crown feathers asked.

The minotaur beside him had a brown torso and a black lower body. "He looks like half of me," he commented.

"He kinda has your body, right, Ember?" an orange coated, red maned colt asked. Ember growled lightly, turning back to Draco.

His mother had told him stories about some dragons, but he'd never seen one in person. Ember loomed over him even sitting down. He noticed blue ripples on Ember's scales, and her wings looked a bit stranger than the ones he'd seen in books.

"I-I'm… Draco," he gulped.

"We know." Draco gasped when he heard the female voice. "Your Princess named you after the dragon king?"

"Maybe that's what you look like without scales," a tan griffon with brown belly feathers suggested.

"I wonder how you'd look," a mare, maroon with a curled purple mane, questioned.

"A dragon can't survive without scales," Ember huffed. "It's not armor."

Though she kept staring hard at him, she wasn't really interested in his look. For some reason, she felt… honored, to be in his presence. It was strange, because for one thing, her father had told her the ponies were all weak, even their princess. But he was different. She just couldn't put her claw on it.

"Is… something wrong?" he asked, a bit hesitantly.

"You've been staring at him for a while, Ember," another pegasus mare, her coat being white and her mane red. "Find your love in a colt?"

Ember growled louder, making them back off instantly. "Love is for foals," she snorted. "You and I will speak later."

Draco cowered shyly, but something about her made that fear just vanish. "Al-Alright," Draco stuttered.

"Okay, good morning, class!" Ms. Dawn chirped.

"Good morning," the class, minus Draco, answered.

"Since it's Draco's first day, let's all tell him who we are," she said. "Shadow, you go first."

The black griffon, Shadow, turned in his seat in front of Draco. "Shadow Beak," he nodded.

The white pegasus beside him turned and smiled. "I'm Lily Bud!" she laughed.

The minotaur behind her, and next to him went next. "Heavy Load," he saluted.

"Quick Peck," the tan griffon nodded.

"Neon Light!" she smiled. "I'll tell you later."

"Dune Trekker." Draco turned in his seat, surprised by the dusty beige unicorn with a ragged brown mane.

"My name's Draco," he laughed nervously. "N-Nice meeting you all."

"Don't worry, the griffons aren't bullies, and Heavy isn't much into fighting," Lily assured him.

"Now that that's out of the way, I want you all to turn to page 8 of your textbooks;" she said, levitating the books to their desks.

Draco cracked open the book, and something strange happened. He hadn't read the first line when the symbols started flashing through his mind. The whole page spoke about-

"We're going to learn about how the Griffon Empire began," Ms. Dawn carried her voice as she wrote on the board. "It all started-"

"In 1807 when the Griffon clans were under attack by the Diamond Dog Union," Draco interrupted. "The griffins united to fight them back, and win the war after two years, scattering the Diamond Dogs and establishing their seat with the Royal Five Rulers."

The class stared blankly at him, even he was surprised by all the information.

"Yes… that," Ms. Dawn said slowly. "Draco, did your mother teach you this?"

"No," he said in a low tone. "I… I didn't even read too much."

He flipped the page over, and the same thing happened. Symbols and images and names and all the like flashed through his mind before he actually read them. The class watxhed a bit shocked as he started flipping through pages madly, as if the end of the book held some lost treasure map. When he reached the end, he could barely make out the students behind the wall of text flooding his vision. The symbols faded, leaving the confused, and incredulous looks of his classmates and teacher.

"I'm done," he mumbled.



Celestia's Throne Room

"Your Highness," a guard called. She looked up from her papers and nodded in question. "King Draco and Emperor Grypho are here."

Celestia's expression went slightly bitter at the news. "Send them in," she ordered.

He nodded, leaving the throne room and soon the two leaders, accompanied by their own bodyguards, entered. "Celestia," King Draco bowed.

"Good morning, Your Highness," the griffon emperor bowed less formally. "How's the paperwork."

"What are you doing here?" she asked immediately. "The next meeting of the nations-"

"Is in another three years," King Draco interjected. "We are aware. But it appears the bird brain and I have come for the same reason."

"And what would that be?" Celestia questioned, a hint of anger in her voice.

"That little thing you call your son," Grypho announced. "Naught princess, disobeying your own laws."

Celestia stood from her throne and stomped down the stairs. "I haven't disobeyed any of the laws I set for us three, the minotaur ruler, or the Diamond Dog Overlord," she fumed. "So enlighten me, which one have I crossed?"

Grypho smirked, holding his claw out to a servant griffon, who placed a scroll in his grasp. "Ahem. Section 8, paragraph 4," he began. "Any and all scientific discoveries that could benefit each of the five nations must be reported to the five rulers upon discovery."

Celestia snatched the scroll with her magic and read over the law. It was indeed her hoofwriting, which she had used all those years ago. With a small growl, she levitated it back to the servant.

"My son is not some scientific object to study or anything of the sort," she nearly snarled. "He is just like any other colt his age."

"But he is a new creature," Grypho pointed out. "You know what this means."

"You're not taking him!" she stomped her hoof resolutely. "He's just a colt!"

"I'm not taking him," Grypho smirked. "I just want him to visit some of my empire, while I have a few researchers observe him."

"He. Is. Not. A. Thing," Celestia snorted. "Don't you lie to me, Grypho. Everypony and griffon knows you'd do more than try and study him."

"If you don't allow me to show him Gryphos," he sighed. "I am allowed to rally the other nations."

"I'd like to see you try," she hissed. Grypho shrugged, then turned for the door.

"Remember who's winning this war, Princess," he said before departing.

Celestia felt like slamming him against the castle wall and letting him drop a couple thousand feet. "Ahem," King Draco coughed.

"Is that why you're here?" she sneered.

"If this is about the war some hundred years ago, I suggest you leave it in the past," he sighed.

"Your dragons killed thousands, and you suffered two losses," Celestia reminded him. "Not to mention you tried to take Canterlot."

The king chuckled. "Yes, I remember. The longest fight of my life with a pony," he smiled. "Just remember, it's only you, now that Princess Luna is… absent."

"She won't be for long." King Draco nodded, walking over to one of the stained-glass windows. "Why are you here?"

"Mainly to visit my daughter," he chuckled. "But when I saw the young prince, I became curious. Join that with the fact the Emperor was in Canterlot, and I figured I'd see what he was planning."

Celestia joined him by the images. "He only wants to take my son away," she whispered.

The king laughed softly. "And you named him after myself?"

"He resembles a dragons form, just without the snout," she said. "Your name is ancient, but it has a better meaning for him than most dragons do these days."

"Well, I'm not looking to steal your son," he informed her. "In truth, I want to help."

Celestia straightened up a bit. "Why?" she questioned.

She knew the dragon king to be clever, strategic, and committed. But it was a strange sight to see him shrug. "I can't really say," he chuckled. "I would say out of the good of my heart, but that would be a lie. I want to help you, for reasons beyond me."

Celestia raised a brow suspiciously. "And what would you expect in return?" she asked.

"To let your son visit the capital." Before Celestia could protest, he raised a claw to calm her. "I intend to do nothing else but be his guide around my kingdom. There's a certain feeling I had when I looked at him, as did my fighters."

The two dragons nodded to confirm their king's words. "What sort of feeling?"

"Celestia, I cannot say why, I cannot say how, but I just need to have him visit the Dragon Kingdom," his voice elevated, but with control. "If I had a reason, I'd tell you, but I don't know. I just want him to see the kingdom, and in return, we'll deal with these pestering, overgrown birds."

Celestia had more than enough reasons to say no. "No."

King Draco sighed deeply, but nodded. "Very well. I promise not to pester you about it, and should Grypho ever try to expel you from the Five Nations, I'll support you. But don't expect help on the battlefield," he warned.

"Please, leave me Draco," she ordered. He nodded one last time before being on his way.

Celestia sighed irratibly. She had just told the ruler of the largest army in the land that not only did she not want his help, but she wouldn't give him her son in exchange for help. The dragon army could have had the war over in days, but her son was her main priority.



"Alright ladies!" Coach Slugger shouted. "Today, we got ourselves a fitness schedule."

"Is he always loud?" Draco whispered to Ember.

"Most of the time," she chuckled.

"You're all gonna run to the end of the gym, climb that there obstacle, run all the way back to this end, climb the rope, climb down, and meet me right here," he directed. "That clear?"

"Yes, Coach Slugger," the replied.

"Wait, how many times?" Shadow questioned.

"3 laps like always," he said.

"Alright."

"Ready… set… go!" The griffons took flight, as did Lily, but Slugger used his magic to bring them back to the start. "No flying! Go!"

Draco, Ember, and Heavy were leading the race, losing the minotaur after they quickly climbed the wall. Ember was impressed that he could keep up with her, and even more surprised when he gained the lead when climbing the rope. He didn't even climb down, he practically dropped with a hand around the rope.

Draco looked behind him to see Ember and his other classmates trailing behind him. As he came up on the hurdle, a sudden urge came over him. He planted his feet in one spot, then somersaulted over the obstacle. Ember's eyes widened at the sight of him jumping it. It was almost twice as big as her, and she was pretty tall!

The boy felt… natural, just running, climbing, and leaping. It was instinct, like he was born to do it. On his last lap, he dropped from the rope and rolled forward, skidding to a halt in front of the Coach. Slugger had his jaw dropped since the second lap.

"Do I win?" Draco panted. Ember came up next, panting heavily but staring at the boy.

The others came soon after: Shadow, Lily, Peck, Heavy, Dune, and Neon. "Whoa," Shadow huffed, out of breath. "You… that… was… pretty awesome… what you did."

"Yeah!" Neon laughed hoarsely. "You… were like a monkey or… something!"

"Left Ember in the dust, too!" Heavy chuckled. Ember didn't growl, to their surprise, and instead kept staring at Draco.

"Alright, since we got through fitness early, you got free play until class is over," Slugger told them. "Hoofballs are in the cage, nets are in the closet. Don't do anything dumb while I'm gone."

They nodded, then the gym teacher left the gymnasium and went upstairs to speak with the only other teacher. She was busy grading a test, in which most of her students got remarkably high scores.

"Good afternoon, Slugger," she smiled. "What-"

"There's something about that colt," he interjected. "He ain't normal."

"Of course he's not normal," Dawn giggled. "I'm not even sure what he is."

"Not that kind of abnormal," he groaned. "Today I gave 'em a fitness course, and that colt finished it faster than I ever could. Not to mention he beat Ember."

"And he scored higher grades than her as well," Dawn giggled as she showed him Draco's test.

For an open-ended question, Draco had used the entire paper and an extra to answer. "There isn't a single pony, griffon, minotaur, or dragon that can do this," he muttered. "So why can he?"

Dawn rolled her eyes and put the test back in its pile. "There are still things we don't know about, Coach," she said. "He's a sweet boy. Just try not to let his 'abilities' scare you."

Slugger rolled his eyes and headed for the door. "I'll do that," he chuckled. "35 seconds exactly. I'll be damned."

The bell rang, and soon enough her class was filing back in to grab their bookbags. "Class, remember. Tomorrow is show and tell, so bring something new and amazing," she smiled.

"Yes, Ms. Dawn," they answered.

The rest of the class left, except for Draco. "Ms. Dawn?"

"Yes, Draco?"

"What's 'show and tell'?" he asked.

"Well, you bring something you think is amazing or important, and then you tell us why you think it's important or amazing," she explained happily.

"Oh, so if I bring my blankie I could say it's important because it keeps me warm at night?" Ms. Dawn nodded, glad to see he understood. "Oh, okay!"

He ran out the room, then down the hall. He stopped when a claw caught him, turning out to be Ember.

"H-Hey, Ember," he shakily smiled. "Is… do you need something?"

Ember shook her head softly. "I just want to tell you something," she said. She held her claw out to him, confusing him momentarily. "You're supposed to shake it."

"Oh." He carefully put his hand in her claw, shaking softly. "How come?"

"Because, this means I will be your… companion," she chuckled. "Should you ever have any problems, come speak to me."

"Oh. So, you're my friend?" Draco asked with a smile.

"If that's what you'd like to call it, yes. I am your 'friend'" she smiled.

Draco smiled happily to her, then glanced towards the door. "I gotta go," he said. "But, I'll see you tomorrow, right?"

"Of course," Ember nodded. "See you then."

Draco waved as he ran out of the building, running to his waiting cousin. "How was school?" Cadence asked with a smile.

"It was awesome!" Draco exclaimed. "I learned a lot about hostory, and math, and we had fun at gym, and I won the race!"

"Okay," Cadence giggled. "Slow down! Tell me all about it when we get home."

Draco just couldn't stop talking about all the fun he had with Ember and his classmates. Though the griffons and minotaur were a bit intimidating, they were really funny and respectful, but they did joke around a lot. He told her all about their hoofball matches, which Ember refereed.

He couldn't wait to go back the next day, and maybe he could see Rainbow Dash after school.

Author's Note:

There we are! Sorry if the OC's are a bit poorly made, not really good with side characters. Anyway, remember to like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night!

PreviousChapters Next