• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,984 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,984

PreviousChapters Next
Like It's the Last Night

Lugosho ot Menshahi.

Celebration of Champions.

The sacred Loki'irian tradition that would send them into battle with their lives lived to its fullest. The morning was spent with children. Whatever they requested would be fulfilled. So long as they were happy, nothing was out of reach. Those without children would help prepare the feast their nation would have. Canterlot was flooded with ponies, both in the streets and the castle. Today was a day where there were no social classes, nor economic classes. There were no rich. No poor. Every mare and every stallion held the same exact value as the next, and no pony would question as to why.

There were no distinctions between countries. Griffon, pony, Loki'irian, minotaur, yak, changeling, Diamond Dog, dragon. None of it mattered. Today they were no long separated by borders or squabbles. They were Earthlings. They were soldiers and support. And come tomorrow, they would test themselves in a battle that would decide the fate of everything and everyone.

Who wouldn't want a drink before then?

And so, when the children had their fun and sleep claimed them, the world turned into an uproar of parties. The Loki'irians had advised a lack of alcohol, but they kept healers on standby in case any were to get intoxicated. They didn't blame them, given what they were forcing them to take part in. Music played, performers performed, and Loki'irian performers showed the planet the most beloved part of their culture. The voices of their women melted the hearts of even the coldest warriors. Their dancers moved hypnotically to their exciting melodies, showing off their feminine and masculine traits through these rituals. And the celebrations just wouldn't end. The night was young, and Loki'irians were going to spend this night as their ancestors once had.

Twilight watched the performance going on with her friends, all of them chatting and laughing. "Their so amazing!" Fluttershy said in awe. "And I love their pretty dresses!"

"They have to show me their designer!" Rarity squealed, watching a duo of women leap opposite each other. Their garments flared in the torchlight, giving them an almost divine look. Rarity tittered at the display, earning eye rolls from Applejack and Rainbow.

"It's pretty cool what they're doing with their magic," Rainbow smirked, watching a dancer move his energy into several orbs. He manipulated them with his movements, giving them an almost living appearance. "Don't think unicorns could do that, huh?"

The unicorns at the table rolled their eyes as well. "There are lots of things the Signa can do, Rainbow," Moon chuckled, taking a swig of his cider. "I've never seen them so... happy."

"Their voices are beautiful," his mother commented, closing her eyes as she listened to the vocalizing. "And they cannot hypnotize us, as well."

Celestia, wearing a garb like the one from the past Gala, laughed softly. "It's good to see them out of their armor," she smiled, glancing to the other ponies in the castle courtyard. "Especially the Guard. I wonder if I could get Draco to dance out there."

"We could watch Dawn for you, Ember!" Pinkie exclaimed, giggling with the rest as the dragoness shook her head and laughed.

"I don't think Draco even knows how to do what they do," she chuckled, finishing her first mug of cider since her pregnancy. "And then I can't use energy."

"That isn't stopping the regulars," Moon laughed. Mingled in with the Signa dancers were regulars, performing just as gracefully as their powerful counterparts.

"Or Agner!" Pinkie shouted as she pointed to him.

Agner danced with a trio of others, swapping partners and moving to the lively tune. They matched each other's movements perfectly, as if they were reflections of each other. "It's about time he found his partner," Jaqeluu laughed, turning their attention to him.

Instead of his armor or the black fabric, he was garbed in a loose tunic with vines and a silk like cloth covering his lower body. Half of his chest was displaying a number of scars that hadn't regenerated, and they finally had a good view of his arms and legs. He wasn't unlike the other warriors and warrioress' in the crowds, having scar upon scar that they flaunted like trophies. It was, however, a surprise to see him there.

"What do you mean?" Rarity questioned, glancing back over to Agner as he continued the ritual with the woman.

Derekosh coughed to grab their attention once more, earning a few smirks and stifled snickers when they saw him dressed similarly to his brother. The only difference was he had a militaristic frame over his shoulders and a red cape draped over his left arm. "What he means is our brother is... 'in love'"

Pinkie Pie shot up and gasped loudly, then broke into a large smile. "That's amazing! No, awesome! No! Super duper fantastically exciting!" she yelled.

"Yes," Jaqeluu chuckled. "It is. We are glad that he's found her now." He glanced to his brother, who was busy staring at his younger brother with a pang of pain in his eyes.

They knew about their wives, and it was no secret as to what Derekosh was thinking about. Celestia thought to herself for a moment, then grinned devilishly as she took another sip of her drink. "Moon, don't you think you should dance with Fluttershy?" she slyly questioned.

The couple each looked surprised, and Fluttershy blushed as she politely shook her head and smiled. "Oh, no no, I-I don't... dance very often... or in front of big crowds," she insisted, scooting closer to Moon.

"Oh, but it's the perfect time!" Rarity chimed in, just as Celestia had hoped. "This is supposed to be the biggest party, and we're not dancing?"

Pinkie finished her mug and bounced to her hooves. "Rarity's right! C'mon! We gotta shake our flanks like there's no tomorrow!" She chuckled nervously and fiddled with her mane. "I mean, we gotta party 'til we're purple! C'mon c'mon c'mon!"

Applejack shrugged with a smile and got up with them, followed by Rainbow as she licked the foam off her lips. "Oh, don't think you're excused, Ms. Princess," Rainbow laughed, nudging Twilight out of her seat.

"Okay, okay!" Twilight giggled. "C'mon. There's gotta be somepony that wants to dance with you." Their banter died off as they moved to the crowd, although Moon and Fluttershy kept where they were.

"And the two of you?" Luna questioned playfully, lifting them to their hooves/paws with her magic.

"Mother, I-"

"This is a night to spend with her," she interrupted firmly. "Go and make the most of it. I have your aunt to keep me company."

Celestia rolled her eyes and laughed. Moon glanced to Fluttershy, who looked a bit apprehensive, and she hesitantly smiled. "Um... w-we can stay close to the girls... right?"

Moon nuzzled her and pecked her lips. "Of course. Come, we don't want Rarity coming back," he joked. She giggled as he led her towards their friends, leaving the alicorn sisters, the Signa brothers, and Ember.

"And you two?" Celestia asked, knocking Derekosh out of his thoughts. "Aren't you going to celebrate?"

Jaqeluu looked at her with a stern expression for the briefest moment, before he too smirked and shrugged his shoulders. "If the Goddess of the Suns would allow me, I'd offer her a dance," he laughed, bowing his head. "In the Loki'irian tradition, of course." Celestia stood up and bowed respectfully, then held his hand as they moved to the crowd of dancing Loki'irians and ponies. "Are you two coming?"

Derekosh and Luna both perked up in confusion, then glanced to one another. The warrior turned to his brother, read the sly grin, and glared with a "I'm going to murder you" smile. Meanwhile, Luna was dumbfounded by her sister's smile, until she caught on and flushed with a huff. "I haven't danced in over a thousand years," she murmured, taking another sip of cider.

Derekosh shook his head and sat down. "You'd probably look like a fool dancing in the way of my people," he scoffed. Luna cut her drink short and glared at him.

"I would argue you would look like a clown if you were to dance like an Equestrian," she shot back, giving him a half-hearted glare.

A grin worked its way on his neutral face, and he stood up and gestured mockingly to where their siblings had gone. "Is that a challenge?" he snarkishly questioned.

Luna stood up and pompously trotted in front of him. "If it were, would you be up to it?" she smirked.

Derekosh offered his hand, laughing lightly as she took it with her hoof. "Never challenge a Signa, Limir," he mockingly warned.

Ember smiled as they walked into the crowds and danced, the two extremely different in their styles. Her mood dimmed as she watched everyone and everypony having a good time, and here she was. Her lover was going through the most gruesome and maddening training, and she couldn't be with him to help however she could. Her father was in the mountains, as he'd be fighting there come tomorrow, and she was here alone. She wished she could see her father, or Flare, or someone that she could spend time with before they risked their life. It irritated her to no end that she would be forced to stay inside and stay out of the fight. But Dawn was here now... and the last thing she wanted for her daughter would be for her to grow up without a mother and father.

It wouldn't come to that... Draco would win, and she would be there to greet him with their little firebreather.

"You should rest, Ember." She turned and looked up at Figanti, who was finally out of his usual armor. He looked... peaceful... as if he weren't a warrior that had fought hordes of Arthanians. But he too had his own marring. Running down the length of his arm were rakes and slashes, his neck marred by gashes that had healed.

"And miss this? Who wouldn't want to miss a bit of sleep?" she jested. Her uncle in law didn't seem so amused. "It's a day of celebration... and I can't celebrate with anyone I'm close to... not even Draco."

Figanti put a hand on her arm, sighing deeply and sitting beside her. "You know what he would want for you," he reminded her. "He cannot be here, but don't forget his love. So long as he lives, you and your daughter, and everyone and everypony, that he loves will be his drive. And when this war is over, you will have a family... your own family. Isn't that reason enough to celebrate?"

He moved the mug away from her claw and tugged her towards the other partiers. "And just what do you think you're doing?" she chuckled, standing with him.

Figanti smiled and showed her his insignia. "If my brother was alive, he would be the one doing this. It would be my honor to dance with the future wife of my nephew, in place of his father," he declared, bowing regally. "Would you care for a dance?"

She smiled gently and rolled her eyes. "You know you shouldn't be bowing," Ember laughed.

He stood back up and shrugged dismissively. "It is what the 'gentlecolts' do, yes?"

"I'm a dragoness," she reminded him, chuckling as she nodded. "But I wouldn't mind dancing. Are you as good as your nephew?"

"Well I believe you'll be the judge of that."

It was a night of laughter and merriment. Where dancers and singers and musicians performed at their very best, and the partiers made sure to leave nothing to regret if the next morning should be their last. Everything around them was the pinnacle of their society, and of the Loki'irian's, and a reminder as to what they were fighting for. They were fighting to draw another breath. To look upon the rest of their society and see it more closely knit and stronger as a whole.

Tomorrow they would fight for their home. And no one would take their home from them without a fight to the last breath.

Author's Note:

The next chapter is the official beginning of the end. The final slew of chapters before this book reaches its end. I'm excited and anxious to see what you guys think, but I hope you all enjoy! As always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next