• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
To Win... Don't Play

Figanti let loose a roar as his energy-fueled fist drove into Draco's chest, winding him as he was thrown across the arena. He dug his hands and feet into the ground, eventually stopping some feet from where he landed. Figanti was right on him, and Draco changed in time to catch his fist. Before his uncle could react, the Doshu'um fell back and kicked him up. Nyla completed the combo off by slapping him into his own dragon. They recovered much more quickly than either thought they could, and they were punished for their mistake.

Eskor rammed into Nyla's chest, her metals not present at the moment, and sent her launching backwards. Draco rose his arms as Figanti leapt from his dragon, sending punch after bunch into his nephew's body. With a swift uppercut, Draco's arms fell and he hit the ground hard enough to knock the air out of his lungs. Figanti's blade sat on his chin, its owner staring down at him with hardened eyes. Draco tapped his hand on the ground, and Figanti sheathed his blade. Eskor helped his opponent stand, mentally apologizing to her. Draco chuckled as he wiped the blood from his mouth and laid back, panting for air with cringes on every breath.

"How... was that?" His uncle laughed softly and patted his shoulder.

"You've at least learned how to change together," he joked. Draco rolled his eyes, regretting so when a headache kicked in. "Your Ina connection is strong, and you're learning quickly. We still need to go over one more key aspect before I can discipline you further."

Draco lifted his head, nodding with a raised brow. "What is it?" he asked, pushing himself onto his knees.

"You've both been training beside one another, and though your bond is getting more and more sturdy, there's one thing that will solidify it." Draco and Nyla waited for him eagerly. "You have to experience pain... the pain of being severed from one another."

They gave inquisitive looks to the League member, and Draco chuckled weakly. "What would that do? I know she's alive, uncle." Figanti sighed and turned to Eskro, who lowered his head as his partner rested a hand on him.

"When your bond is whole... there is no life without your Nera'ak," he softly whispered. "You will learn that when you lose one another, you're losing a piece of yourself. Our kind go mad when we lose our Nera'ak... we lose control of our emotions... we feel as though we have nothing to lose." Roars and cries of pain came back to him. Only Siggam (Signa without Ina) could make these sounds, and all who heard it were instilled with fear. Enemy or friend. "When you are severed from this bond, you will lose your sanity until your connection is restored. You'll know pain above what you've ever experienced... because this pain cannot be earned with a blade or any weapon."

They looked to one another anxiously, hoping what their teacher said was just an exaggeration. Figanti pushed Draco's broken nose back into position and led him out of the arena and outside their training cube. The moon had risen and the darkness cascaded around them. Nyla settled herself on the ground, her partner lying against the base of her neck. She rested her head beside him as he stroked her eye crest. Her anxiety was pushing into him, and his own trepidation wasn't helping with that. She huffed a plume of smoke and opened her eye to look at him.

You don't think he was bluffing... do you?

I don't know... I still don't really understand the whole Ina thing. Figanti's been with it since he was young. We still have a long way to go... and we only have so much time.

Now don't speak like that. You must be confident, or we crumble.

I know... I know, Nyla. I just wish... I don't know... I wish I'd known you all sooner.

And I don't?

He flicked her snout, and she responded by whipping the end of her tail into his head.

Just remember, Reku'un. I believe in you, no matter what might happen, to do what you think is best. I am behind you, through war or peace.

Thank you... and don't think I'll abandon you. The last thing I need is a spiteful Nera'ak chasing me everywhere.

Nyla let out a guttural chuckle before snuggling closer to him, heating his body nicely. They drifted off not too long after, while Figanti sat on the edge of the cliff. His communicator beeped into his ear as a transmission was being received.

"Figanti?" Renkan's voice said.

"I'm here. What is it?"

"How goes the training? I assume he's catching on?" she laughed, muttering a curse as a loud noise came from the background.

"He's learning... although I don't think he fully understands what Ina is." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, ruffling the sweaty mess. "Is that why you called?"

"Always about work," she teased. "The Bestials are being sent across the planet to train these quadrupeds. Even Ut Drenka."

Figanti's eyes widened and his brows raised in a delighted surprise. "That's... good. They can give combat knowledge and further their ability with their physiology. And what is happening with our preparations?"

"The fleet is spreading out now, and we're dismantling any extra fighters to turn into anti-air batteries and some ground artillery. The populace isn't reacting well to these war preparations," she informed him. "Thankfully the military forces are explaining the situation. It isn't making the panic any better, but at least it isn't our defenses they're worried about."

Both warriors were silent as the matter came up again. Figanti felt his Nera'ak nudge him gently, a comforting gesture Nera'ak often did. "This will be our last stand, Renkan... and the others know as well."

There was silence on her end, until a soft click signaled her radio turning on. "We win it or lose it, yes?"

"Win?" Figanti chuckled darkly. "There won't be a winner, Renkan... war has never been something to win... we name the winner because they lost less... and we name the loser because he didn't want to lose anymore... but we both pay great prices."

Renkan sighed into the comm link. "But this price will be worth it... we lose however much now, and we stop loss from this war for the rest of our lives. I still have fifty cycles before I'm old... let's hope I live to see them."

The channel died when both Signa shut off their communicators. Figanti glanced over to his nephew, remembering the tiny child he'd been the week of their departure. His brother passed through his memories for just a moment, and he laid back against Eskro.

"We will be the winners... because we don't have a choice."

Author's Note:

Hey guys! Hope you're all still there, and I hope I'm providing enough entertainment for you all! So, as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next