• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,968 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,968

PreviousChapters Next
Goodbye… and Hello


Draco flumped onto the bed, sweating beside Rainbow from their race through the halls. "I wish… I was fast… like you," he panted.

"In your dreams," Rainbow laughed.

"Wanna… wanna play castle fort tomorrow? After school?" he asked.

Rainbow frowned slightly, then sat up. "I… I can't," she said.

Draco sat up as well. "Why not?" he questioned.

Rainbow sighed, then turned to him with sad eyes. "My Dad said tomorrow we're gonna move to Cloudsdale," she told him.

"So… I'm not gonna see you anymore?" Draco asked hesitantly. She nodded in response. "But what about the treasure? I need you to get it."

Rainbow smiled. "It's okay. You can still get it," she chuckled. "Just be brave, like me!"

He sighed sadly, looking at the toy staff she'd gotten him. "So, this is goodbye, then?"

"Don't be sad," she said. "When I'm older, I promise I'll come play with you. But you have to promise to be brave and get the treasure."

"I promise," he nodded.

The door creaked open, and Dasher poked his head in. "Rainbow, come on," he called. "We have to go. Say bye to Draco."

He went to wait in the hall, and Rainbow dropped down from the bed. "Bye, Draco," she smiled half-heartedly.

Draco showed his sadness more openly, frowning as he stood up. "Goodbye, Rainbow," he mumbled.

Rainbow stood there for another second, then quickly kissed his cheek. Draco gasped softly, staring dumbfounded at his friend, who had a slight tint of red in her cheeks. She galloped out of the room, leaving him alone. He gingerly placed his hand over the smooched cheek, still trying to process what happened.



The next day, Draco went to school with Cadence. Blueblood had gone ahead, leaving her to take him. "Why so glum?" she asked.

Draco sighed and adjusted his bookbag. "Rainbow said she had to leave to Cloudsdale today," he said in a low tone. "She said it's too far to come and play with me."

Cadence smiled and stopped to put a hoof around his shoulder. "Don't worry. I'm sure you could visit once in a while," she assured him. "And you have lots of friends in school. Maybe they could come play?"

"Nah, their older," he said. "And Rainbow wasn't like them. I don't think they want to play with kid stuff."

Cadence sighed, then smiled when she remembered what her aunt told her. "Well, Tia said she's taking a new apprentice to the castle," she said. "She's a unicorn filly. I'm sure she'e be happy to play with you!"

Draco shrugged, hoping she was right. "Maybe." His school came jnto sight, cheering him up just a bit. "There's the school. Bye, Cadence."

"Bye!" she called as he ran into the yard.

Inside, Draco met up with Ember and sat down in his seat. The rest of the class had already assembled, and they were waiting on Ms. Dawn. "So what's castle life like, Draco?" Lily asked. "I bet it's full of servants and ponies that get you whatever you want."

"Not really," he said. "My Mommy says that even though we're royal, we still have to be nice to them."

"So, no special treatment or nothing?" Neon questioned. "That sucks."

"It's nice," Draco chuckled. "You just have to have somepony to play with you, or something to do. Sometimes, the chef lets me get some ice cream or even some cake!"

His classmates rolled their eyes at his young-minded interests. "Couldn't you request some service, Draco?" Ember chuckled. "Maybe a few new toys or the like?"

"My Mommy says only ask her about new toys, because asking everypony else is rude," he recited. "And I love all my toys!"

"A prince that doesn't abuse his status," Shadow chuckled. "You're way better than that nephew of Celestia's."

"You mean Blueblood?" Draco asked. "He's my cousin! He's really nice and smart and he even-"

"Nice?" Peck laughed. "Smart?! That pony's stupider than a timberwolf!"

"And he's so full of himself you'd think he actually fell in love with his reflection!" Shadow chuckled with her. "He's the reason Dune got sent here."

Draco turned to the silent stallion. "Really?"

Dune nodded. "We were both working on a project, a subtle paralyzing potion," he began. "Idiot knocked over a beaker and accidentally made a flash-freeze poison. The professor was put in the hospital for a few weeks and he blamed it on me."

"Are you sure you didn't, maybe, mix the wrong one?" Draco asked. "Blueblood is really careful. Maybe you did it by mistake."

Dune slammed his front hooves on his desk, standing up in his seat and pushing his face into Draco's. "Yes, I'm sure I mixed every potion right," he said in a low tone. "I don't care if he's your cousin. Don't defend him if you weren't there."

"Then don't blame Blueblood!" Draco exclaimed. "Maybe it was you that made an accident!"

Dune was ready to beat the tar out of him, but as soon as he heard Ember growl, he backed off. "You'll see. Your cousin is nothing but a self-loving, whining, brat that gets what he wants too easy," Dune huffed. "And he doesn't make it a secret he hates you."

"He loves me, since I'm his cousin," Draco grumbled sitting back down.

"Sorry class, I had a hard time finding today's lessons!" Ms. Dawn explained. "Now, everypony turn to page 18."

Draco waited for a book to levitate over, but when one never came, he raised his hand. "Ms. Dawn, what about me?"

"Draco, come with me," Ms. Dawn waved a hoof. Draco stood from his desk, getting shrugs from his classmates as he walked by.

He followed her into the hallway, where his curiosity reached it's limit. "Did I do something bad?" he asked.

"Of course not!" Ms. Dawn assured him. "You've been nothing but good in my class. But, after what you showed me a few days ago, I asked your mother if it would be okay if I taught you away from the other kids."

"Am I doing bad on tests?" Ms. Dawn giggled and wrapped her hoof around his shoulder.

"Draco, you're a very smart colt," she smiled. "I only want to teach you more advanced lessons."

"Ohhh, I get it," Draco laughed. "What are the lessons like?"

She motioned for him to follow her into another class. "This room used to be for gifted ponies, minotaurs, griffons, and dragons, but since most of them are in their own lands, this is just used to keep supplies in," she explained.

At the flick of a switch, the light above turned on. Near the back of the class was piles of boxes labeled as supplies. He sat down in a random desk at the front, and a large math textbook flopped down in front of him.

"I want you to read this as fast as you can," she directed him.

Draco nodded, then opened up the book. As soon as he got to the first page, the symbols went through his mind before he had the chance of reading. Just like the other day, he started flipping through pages as fast as he could. The words and knowledge were stored in his mind, and even as he read, he remembered every last line. Ms. Dawn was startled by the rate at which he was reading. It looked like he wasn't even reading at all!

Draco was on autopilot as he passed the two-hundredth page. It felt like he was going faster, and the text just kept coming and coming, and he just kept processing it. With one last flip of the page he shut the textbook and panted hoarsely, beads of sweat dotting his forehead. He looked up to Ms. Dawn, who looked unsure of what just occured.

"Did you-"

"-understand it?" Draco asked. "Yep."

"What's two times-"

"…ten," he answered. She looked bewildered at him, then continued.

"The square root of 225 is-"

"-15."

"The circumference of a circle with a diamater of 2.5 is-"

"-7.85"

She went on with questions that got more advanced and more difficult for most students. Asking Draco was like asking a living answer sheet. He was even able to answer before she even finished. The students in the other room were barely halfway through the book, but he finished it in five minutes.

"Is it almost lunch time?" Draco asked.

Ms. Dawn shook from her thougts and giggled. "Almost. C'mon, I'll give you another book."

For the next twent minutes, she gave him textbooks of every subject, and he breezed through each. She wanted to see if it was only learning books that he memorized. As soon as he finished the four novels of the school year, she had her answer.

"Ms. Dawn?"

"Yes, Draco?" she smiled.

"Since I'm… ahead of the class, will I still go to school?" he questioned. Ms. Dawn nodded.

"Until the year ends you'll still have to come," she said. "But they'll be very busy until June."

Draco nodded in understanding. "So, about lunch?"

The bell rang, signalling their lunch period about to start.

"Go on, I think they'll be waiting for you," Ms. Dawn smiled.



For some reason, Draco felt like walking home alone. He really missed Rainbow, and without her it felt like the castle wasn't gonna be any fun really. His head was a bit spinny from all the volumes he'd read, some of the symbols lingering in his vision. It not only made him smarter, but it expanded his vocabulary quite a bit. Big words were simplified into easier words, like he knew it all along.

"Draco!" The boy stopped to turn around, seeing the dragoness run up to him. "Are you heading home now?"

"Yep," he nodded. "Don't you live somewhere else?"

"Yes, but I wanted to know of you were alright," she said.

"Not really," he sighed. "My friend, Rainbow Dash, left this morning because she had to move to Cloudsdale. Now I won't be seeing her as often."

Ember was surprised with his new grammar. "A few days in school and your speech has matured?" she chuckled with a raised eye crest. "You must enjoy it."

"It's alright," he sighed. "I just wish Rainbow didn't have to leave."

"Don't fret. You're very kind, I'm sure you'll make new friends," she assured him. Draco sighed and pulled his bookbag straps.

"Yeah, I guess," he sighed. "Well, bye then."

Ember nodded and turned to walk to her own home. The guards let him in, and he climbed slowly up the stairs. He could remember all the times Rainbow and him would run around the castle. His birthday was coming up again, meaning it would have been a year since they became friends.

He grunted when he bumped into the door. Opening the large wooden door, he noticed his mother wasn't sitting in her throne. Curious, he went to his mother's room to see if she was resting early. His mother was indeed there, but she was talking to somepony. Draco leaned to the side to get a better view of whoever she was talking to.

He saw a small, purple unicorn filly listening intently to his mother's words. She had a violet mane with a pink streak, as well as her tail. Her cutie mark looked like a six pointed star, with little sparkles around it.

"…and it is very important you do your absolute best," his mother concluded. "Remember, you can tell me if this becomes too hard at any time."

"Yes, Princess," the filly smiled. "When will I-"

"Mommy." Celestia turned around to her son, revealing him to the filly.

"Draco," she said with a smile. "I'd like you to meet somepony. This, is Twilight Sparkle. She is my newest apprentice and she'll be staying here in the castle for some time. Twilight, this is Draco. He's my son."

Twilight stared incredulously at the strange creature. Draco was used to the look, so he just waited for her to get over the initial shock. "Hi," he said.

Twilight glanced to Celestia, who only nodded. "H-Hi there," she stammered.

He looked at the textbooks sliding out of her small saddlebag, recognizing the first as a mathematics book and the other for magic. "Mommy, is Pan still in the kitchen?" he asked.

"He'll be leaving soon, so you should go catch him before he leaves," she smiled. "Maybe you could show Twilight around the castle."

He nodded softly, turning to the unicorn. "Come on. The kitchen's this way," he waved.

"Just follow him, okay Twilight?" Celestia said. "I just need to finish a few things before we start your lessons."

"Okay," Twilight nodded. She walked beside him into the halls, marveling at the architecture and stained glass pictures. "It's so nice here!"

"It get's old," Draco chuckled.

He held the door open for her, then looked around the kitchen for the chef. "Pan? Pan, where are you?" Draco called.

"In ze back little prince," he heard the Chef call.

"He sounds funny," Twilight giggled. Draco laughed and worked his way over to the chef.

"Welcome, Draco!" the chef smiled. "Another friend of yours?"

"I'm Twilight Sparkle. Princess Celestia's newest student," she happily greeted him.

"Chef Pan, at your service," he bowed, using his magic to take off his hat.

Twilight giggled, as well as the young prince. "Hey Chef, could I get a lettuce and tomato sandwich?" he asked. "Do you want anything, Twilight?"

"Oh, no, I couldn't-"

"Come now, young filly!" Pan chuckled. "I am here to serve ze princess, her son, and any of their friends!"

"But I'm not really-"

"Twilight, he loves cooking," Draco laughed. "He wants to make you something."

She stammered before nodding. "Can I get a daffodil sandwich?" she giggled.

"Zere we go! Coming right up!" Pan went to the back to get some daffodils.

Draco crossed his arms on the table and rested his chin on them. Twilight sat down next to him, put off a bit by his sulken mood.

"What's wrong?" she asked. Draco kept quiet, but tilted his head away from her.

"Nothing," he mumbled.

"Huh?"

"I said,'nothing'" he repeated, his tone neutral.

"Then why are you so sad?" Draco groaned and sat up straight.

"My friend left to Cloudsdale yesterday," he said, hoping she would just leave it alone. "She's the only friend that can come to the castle, since her dad worked here."

Twilight frowned sympathetically, then smiled softly. "I can be your friend, if you want," she smiled.

He nodded, not entirely sure about that. "Okay," he sighed. He wasn't sure if he should tell her about the treasure, so he decided to keep it a secret for now.

"Here zey are!" Pan announced. "Lettuce and tomato, and daffodil for ze pretty filly!"

Twilight blushed a bit but smiled anyway. "Thank you, Chef Pan."

"Please, only Pan!" he saluted. "Make sure not to stay too long! Your mother'll keel me!"

"Bye, Chef," Draco called.

"Nice meeting you!" Twilight said.

He gave another bow before leaving the kitchen. "So how did my Mom pick you?"

Twilight told him about her "magic overload" and how Celestia said she had much potential. As soon as they finished eating, the two walked over to where she would be staying in the castle. On the way, they passed the staircase that led to the treasure.

"Where does that go?" she questioned.

"Somewhere scary," he warned. "My cousin said monsters live up there."

"M-M-Monsters?" she stammered.

"Yeah," Draco said. "I almost opened the door, but my friend and I got too scared."

"Wow," Twilight gasped. "Did they chase you?"

"No," he sighed. "We got away before they saw us."

They continued on to her room. "So, you'll be staying here then?"

"Yep," she smiled. "I'll see you later?"

Draco smiled softly and nodded. "Okay. Bye."

Author's Note:

You know what to do! Like, fav, comment, and have a wonderful day or night!

PreviousChapters Next