• Published 29th Aug 2013
  • 13,967 Views, 1,017 Comments

My Son, My Soldier, My Hero - That_Random_Pony



Sometimes, family isn't defined by blood. And it can come from the strangest of places.

  • ...
60
 1,017
 13,967

PreviousChapters Next
Coming Home… For A While


Inagro boarded the dropship, followed by Niraka, Orgos, and Hutono. Moon gulped uneasily as he reluctantly got on the smaller vessel, sitting on the ground as it hummed to life. Inagro placed his hands on the holographic controls, checking the systems and making sure they had enough fuel to return from their visit. Orgos sat to his right, making sure they were cleared for departure and turning the weapon systems offline. Hutono and Niraka sat across from Moon in the back, who was pacing in front of them.

"Midnight, it's fine," Niraka assured him. "There's nothing for you to be anxious about."

"I know, I know," Moon mumbled, continuing to pace. "I just haven't seen them for so long and I'm not sure how it will be, especially now that I've changed and—"

Hutono's Rite closed Moon's mouth with an invisible grip, silencing him as the two Bestials laughed lightly. "Moon, we've been over this," Hutono reminded him. "Nothing's changed within you."

Moon sighed softly, sitting upright on a seat against the hull. Hutono released his hold, crossing his arms and leaning back against the seat. "I just wonder what it will be like," Moon said. "I never thought they'd let us come early… especially now."

"Don't think we'll be skipping our training," Inagro said over the intercom. "We still need to focus your minds. Especially you and Hutono."

The two laughed with Niraka, and Moon shook his head as he relaxed. "At least we won't be clawing each other's eyes out " Hutono smiled.

The ship lurched forward, and they strapped themselves in as they descended. Moon glanced out of the side window and saw Canterlot coming into view beneath the clouds. The mountain city was as lively as ever; ponies were all over the streets as if there wasn't a massive fleet in orbit. Moon spotted a few dropships flying up to the ships above, and even a few Loki'irians around the castle grounds. The courtyard came into view, and he swayed back as the ship slowed to align with the small platform. There was a clang of metal on metal, and they were still as the engine died down. Inagro and Orgos came to the passenger bay with them, the pack leader placing his hand on a panel beside the door to open it.

The door pulled up and the pack exited. Waiting at the base of the platform, Fluttershy, Luna, Celestia and the Elements waited for their friend. They had a first glance at the Bestials that had been training Moon, and they could see the animalistic features, especially Orgos's and Hutono's protruding canines. Niraka's tail was a giveaway, and then they spotted their companion. His body had grown out since they had last seen him. There was no doubt in any pony's mind that he was about as big as Celestia.

Moon breathed quickly as he looked down to his family and friends. He glanced to Hutono, who nodded softly as the pack moved to the side. Moon walked down the steps and stood in front of them all, smiling to his mother and lover. Fluttershy stepped towards him, looking over his larger form with interest, but the moment she looked him in the eye, she saw the worry and anxiety. All of that was washed away when Fluttershy kissed him.

He remembered her touch from so long ago, and he was given a better reminder when she separated to hug him. She was smaller than him now, and so he was even more gentle as he returned it, hearing her sniffle as she embraced him tighter. He looked up to his mother, who smiled as she nuzzled him lovingly. The others joined in on the hug, and Moon felt his fur moisten until it was matted down enough to let his tears fall. When everypony moved away, he looked down to Fluttershy, who was still crying into his chest.

"I'm here, Fluttershy… I'm here," he whispered, stroking her mane.

She looked up to him again, wiping her tears away with a hoof before she nuzzled him. "It's good to see you again," Fluttershy smiled. Moon nodded and leaned his head against hers.

"It's good to see you as well," he chuckled. He glanced to the others, looking around for his cousin. "Is Draco visiting as well?"

Celestia shook her head with a sigh. "He's still with his brothers," she told him. "There's someone waiting to see you as well."

Moon rose a brow, but followed with his loved one into the castle. "You've grown much, Midnight," his mother laughed softly. "I'm sure you understand why."

He nodded. "So who is it that's here?" Moon asked.

The alicorn sisters looked at one another with smiles, then Luna turned to her son. "Someone who was to train as well," she smiled.

The lunar wolf was confused, until he realized his mother had said someone, and Draco wasn't here. He was puzzled, however, when they went into the medical wing of the castle. He sniffed as much as he could, and his assumptions were proven as they walked into one of the intensive care rooms.

"It's good to see you again, Moon," Ember laughed weakly, waving her claw.

"Ember… weren't you to train with the regulars?" Moon questioned, shocked to see her here. "And… why are you here? Shouldn't one of the healers…"

His eyes widened as he looked to the monitor on the right… then to the slight bulge in her lower stomach.

"Yes," Ember smiled, holding up a claw before he could say anything. "I'm carrying an egg… of some sort."

Moon's jaw slackened, causing the others to laugh. "Draco's gonna have a foal!" Pinkie squealed, jumping into his back. "He's gonna have a family and WE'RE gonna be like aunts and you're gonna be like an uncle!"

The shock in Moon's face turned to a smile as he thought about the child of his cousin and bestfriend. "Congratulations," Moon said warmly, looking at the monitor once again. "Have you thought of a name yet?"

The dragoness thought for a moment before shrugging. "I'll know when it's born," she smiled, rubbing the small bump. "I just want to see it with my own eyes."

Moon nodded softly. "Does Draco know?"

"No," Celestia answered, smiling sadly. "He has enough to keep his mind distracted. This is something he doesn't have to worry about… but he'll know soon enough."

He understood what they meant. His cousin was training to be the strongest warrior of his kind, and then he would lead his people into a war they had been fighting for a million years, and with his naming they believed he would end it once and for all. His mother and aunt's duties looked like a trot in the park compared to his own.

"That makes sense," he sheepishly chuckled. He could sense his pack waiting outside. "Inagro, bring everyone in." Inagro was surprised to hear Moon call them, and they hesitantly and awkwardly walked in. "Everypony, and Ember, this is Inagro, his sister, Niraka, Orgos, and his little brother, Hutono."

"Good afternoon," Inagor nodded.

"It is nice to meet you all," Niraka smiled.

Orgos simply nodded and Hutono waved slowly. "Hello."

"This is the pack I've become a part of," Moon explained, gesturing to Inagro. "He is the pack leader, and Orgos is the beta."

The mares and Ember said their greetings to the four Bestials, just as Urishana came to the door. "I wasn't expecting you to have so many visitors, Ember," she chuckled, nodding to her younger kinsmen. "I'm afraid she'll need to be alone for some time. I need to give her another check and then she'll need to rest."

They made their way back into the hall to speak again, the Bestials waiting away from the ponies. "How long are ya gonna stay?" Rainbow asked.

"Perhaps two weeks… hopefully more," he sighed, nuzzling Fluttershy. "I'll be training with them while I'm here, however. Don't worry, Fluttershy, it will only be to help my focus and other things."

"Okay," she sighed, glancing at the growing fur over his healed wounds. "Can you… maybe come to Ponyville, and train? Or, no?"

Moon looked to his pack leader, knowing his heightened hearing picked up on their conversation. "As long as there is somewhere serene enough to keep you at ease," Inagro said with a small smile. "The village is south of here, yes?"

"Yep," Applejack nodded. "And it ain't too noisy out in the fields near Whitetail Woods."

"We could train there," Moon added. "I could meet you when I need to."

Orgos and Niraka understood, while Hutono was still a bit in the dark about what was happening. "As long as you come, I see no problem," Inagro nodded.

Moon leaned down to Fluttershy and kissed her cheek. "Hopefully I still fit on our mattress," he chuckled, earning a small giggle from his love.

"I'm sure you do," she smiled, kissing his cheek. "Thank you."

Inagro nodded to her in acknowledgement. "We could use the supplies in the dropship to stay there," he said to Celestia. "However, we'll need a supply drop for food and such. In a week or so."

She nodded. "I'll make sure the Royal Guard is informed," Celestia said to them. "If there's anything else you would need, my sister and I are here to help."

"I'm sure we won't need much," Orgos assured them. "Hutono, Niraka, I'll need help with the dropship."

The two Bestials followed their beta, leaving Moon to wonder why Inagro was still there. "I'm going to the forest thy speak of to set up a territory," he explained, sensing Moon's question. "Just a small one, so as to not cause a disturbance in the ecosystem."

The lunar wolf chuckled softly, knowing that Inagro also wanted a good sprint from his time in the ship. "I'll see you then. When will we begin?"

"Perhaps in a few days. I'll need time to set up our camp," Inagro said, walking down the hall. "I'll find you when the home is set, alright?"

"Alright. I'll see you then." Moon watched his alpha walk away and turn down another hall, then looked to his friends. "We could get a train, right?"

Author's Note:

Yes yes yes. I cannot wait to do this next sequence (not sure if it will be the next chapter). Hope you guys are ready for what's to come, and as always, like, fav, comment, and have an awesome day or night! Peaces!

PreviousChapters Next