• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters
Epilogue: Living Again

“Come on dad!”

“Thorax, I don’t want to!”

“I have to agree with Thorax on this one dad, you need it.”

“Yeah, did you really think we haven’t noticed? I know Phar and Thor aren’t the brightest with these things but come on.”

“Hey!”

Metamorphosis sighed as the three siblings began arguing loudly. “Kids, honestly, it’s not that bad…”

“Yes it is dad, you are clearly horrible about being around crowds.” Ocellus said, snapping her brothers out of the argument.

“I-It’s not that bad!”

“Hey, look, it’s a group of Hive visitors!” Pharynx said loudly, and in a flash Metamorphosis had transformed into an average-looking reformed changeling. “See?”

Metamorphosis transformed back, sighing and biting his lip. “I… I see your point, but… what about during the battle against the Legion of Doom?”

“Dad, you know that doesn’t count, there were hundreds of creatures there, yeah, but we were all focused on not dying!” Ocellus objected.

“And don’t think Thorax and I didn’t see what you did during our vacation.” Pharynx added. “We were arguing, sure, but we saw you transform into a pony to go get that ice cream, and you were always staying behind to ‘watch our stuff’ while we did the activities because the crowds were so big!”

“Well…”

“Look, dad, we just want you to take a walk around in a city you’re not familiar with while untransformed to help you work on your social anxiety, okay? Please?” Ocellus asked, and Metamorphosis sighed.

“I… I don’t want to…”

“I know dad, but I think you need to.” Thorax nuzzled him gently, and he sighed.

“Okay…”

“Thank you.” Pharynx said, nudging him along. “Now come on, we’re going to Manehattan, and then you’re going to make a lap around the city while we wait for you at a pizza place.”

“Why a pizza place?”

“Because a new Papa Anons just opened up and they’re offering a discount and I want pizza.” Ocellus replied, as the three led Metamorphosis off. “Come on, it’s going to be fine, I promise dad.”

“We’re all here for you, just like you are for us.” Thorax added. Metamorphosis bit his lip nervously, but said nothing more as they followed him.

---------------------------------

“K-Kids, I really don’t think this is a good idea-”

“None of that, go!” Pharynx said, shoving him forwards gently. “Come on dad, you need a life!”

“How did you even know that Manehatten won’t be full of staring ponies?” Metamorphosis asked, looking around.

“We know a couple ‘lings who live out here.” Thorax explained, nudging Metamorphosis along. “Come on, let’s go.”

“Alright, I-I’m going…” Metamorphosis bit his lip, walking forwards.

“We’ll be waiting at the Papa Anons, it’s on the other side of the city, see you there!” Ocellus called, hefting Apex onto her back and running off. Thorax and Pharynx quickly followed her, and Metamorphosis sighed.

“Well, I guess this is happening then…” Metamorphosis sighed. He took a breath and walked forwards, keeping his eyes on the horizon. “Okay, just… don’t look around, you’ll see them all staring at you…”

Surprisingly, though, when he glanced around, most passing creatures didn’t give him a second glance. He smiled slightly, then relaxed his stance, trotting along more leisurely. He smiled a little more as he walked, heading down the street.

“This isn’t so bad… no one’s looking at me…” Metamorphosis sped up a little, then noticed some ponies pulling their kids away from him, and he froze, his bangs falling over his eyes. “They’re looking at me, aren’t they. Okay, just… look away…”

Metamorphosis closed his eyes and headed down the street, keeping a straight path. He ducked his head, screwing his eyes shut, feeling very dizzy and nauseous. It was only a couple more blocks to the pizza place, at least, he hoped. But as Metamorphosis was walking, he suddenly crashed into something fluffy.

“Eep!”

“Heh, hey, watch where you’re going buddy.” a smooth voice greeted him. Metamorphosis yelped and opened his eyes, looking up at the figure, his mind going blank for a moment before he realized they were talking to him.

“I-I’m sorry, I should have looked where I was going, are you okay?”

“Heh, I’m fine sugar.” The pony was an alicorn stallion with a gray coat, deep blue eyes, and long, blue, fire-like hair. Metamorphosis blushed and scrambled to his hooves, biting down on his lip nervously.

“A-Alright… sorry, I’m just on my way to the pizza place…”

“Oh, you mean Papa Anons? I’m job hunting there, you want to come with me?” the stallion asked him, and he blushed, trembling a bit.

“O-Okay… I-I’m Metamorphosis…”

“That is a beautiful name.” the stallion grinned at him. “For a beautiful creature.”

Metamorphosis squeaked and glanced around nervously, as the stallion fell into step beside him.

“My name’s Griff.” he introduced himself.

“O-Oh, um… t-that’s a very handsome-I mean good name…” Metamorphosis giggled nervously, biting his lip. “S-Sorry, I just…”

“Hm?”

Metamorphosis sighed and looked around. “My kids dragged me out here, they want me to walk around undisguised in public to help my social anxiety…”

“Social anxiety?” Griff chuckled. “I wouldn’t know, you’re pretty breathtaking already.”

Metamorphosis ducked his head shyly. “O-Oh, I don’t know…”

“So, who’re your kids?” Griff asked

“Oh, um, Pharynx, Thorax, and Ocellus.”

“Wait, you're Pharynx’s father?”

“Yes, why?”

“O-Oh, no reason, my… friend Oculus has some history with him, no big deal…” Griff chuckled, gazing at Metamorphosis. “So, uh, you're single…?”

Metamorphosis blushed and nodded. “Yeah… I-I’m also gay…”

“Perfect!” Griff exclaimed, then blushed. “I-I meant to say… would you like to… maybe go out sometime?”

Metamorphosis blushed. “I would love to.”

Griff beamed and pressed up against him. “So, we should probably go find your kids…”

“Gran’pa Mety!” Apex cried, rushing over and latching to Meta’s leg. “Wha’ took you so long?”

“Grub!” Pharynx shouted, chasing the nymph. “We agreed that if you waited for dad to come to us you’d get ice cream.”

“I couldn’ wai’.” Apex said, hugging Meta, then looked up at Griff. “Uncle Pharynx, Gran’pa go’ a boyfrien’!”

Metamorphosis turned red and pulled Apex off his leg. “S-Sweetie, no…”

“Well, we’ll see~” Griff chuckled, waving to the nymph. “You’re a cute thing.”

“...Dad? Care to explain?” Pharynx asked.

“U-Um… this is Griff… I bumped into him…” Metamorphosis explained, blushing. “And… we are going on a date…”

“Yay!” Apex cheered. Pharynx stared between his father and the stallion, then sighed.

“I doubt I’d have much say in this anyway, so… have fun dad. Don’t worry, I’ll watch the children while you’re out.” Pharynx said, then grabbed Apex. “And the grub.”

Metamorphosis chuckled and smiled at him. “Yes Pharynx, you can be in charge. Now let’s go find the others.”

“Okay dad.” Pharynx levitated Apex up onto his back, then led them down the street.

Metamorphosis smiled gently at Griff, blushing. Griff just smiled back, bumping against him playfully before following Pharynx. Metamorphosis giggled softly and followed him, smiling. Things were changing, and Metamorphosis couldn’t be more excited about it.

End

Author's Note:

There you have it. The last installment of Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost

I hope you all enjoyed the ending

~Melody Song

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 36 )

D'awwww, Mety and Griff are so adorable together!!! :rainbowkiss:

it sure is sweet, but it's open-ended
makes me think there's a sequel coming, yet at the same time i doubt there will be one

10970916
There's not, it's meant to be open-ended to convey that there's not going to be a clear ending to the story.

Griff (FantasticPhantasam) and I do sometimes make blogs with skits involving Meta and Griff interacting as a couple, and they even have a kid. You can look out for those if you want to see more, though as a warning there's not a clear order as to when they occur in the timeline (they mostly occur after this story but you never know)

10970927
mm
prolly won't read them, but thanks for pointing them out
thanks for the story, and if/when the next one comes out i might read it

10970954
Oh don't worry, there's a series coming up involving the buggos

10970913
This makes me wanna join in on your little blog posts of their interactions. Sadly a lot of people don’t like rps on this site unless they have it with close friends so I kinda just stopped asking.

10971151
I mean, if you wanted to do a roleplay I wouldn't be against it

10971157
Awesome story. Never met a person with this much talent of story writing before.

10971214
Heh, well, thanks for the compliment, but I happen to know many writers who have more talent...

10971219
It's ok. Still, your stories have some kind of 'thing' that makes it me addicted. 😁

10971228
Heh, well, glad you like it

10971157
Wow! Your like the first person to not totally be against having an rp. If you wouldn’t mind that is. If you would be up for it just let me know. I’ll make a discord server for it and everything so you can even invite other users here to join in on it too.

10971444
Ah, well, the problem is that I don't exactly have Discord, but I'm good with docs or PMs if you want

10979171
Nice ending to the story. I really hope Metamorphosis's new relationship will last longer than his old one with Queen Chrysalis.
I like her and Pharynx so much, I'm writing a story about them! :heart:

10985051
Yeah!
By the way, nice linkage to BezierBallad's "I see you monsters" and MlpHero's "A changeling's hearth's warming".

10985820
But.... I just can't help the feeling that Pharynx is actually softer than Thorax. Because I kinda noticed that Pharynx gets embarrassed more easily. That makes me laugh my ears out. (not really)

10985835
Oh, indeed he is, he just hides it better

10985857
Wow. He must be stressed out.

10985857
Wow. I must admit I'd never thought that.

10985905
Well, it's not the first thing you'd consider with him

10985917
Ohhhhhh
By the way, I :heart::heart::heart: your stories!

11363821
Well, Phar's probably still not happy with the other changelings, but not much they can do about it for now. They're not mad at Thor and Meta anymore though

11363828
...Bez, it's my story

11363833
Alright, true, apologies

Login or register to comment