• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 48: ...Like My Brother

Ocellus and her friends had been struggling to keep up with everything on the list, rushing around trying to keep up with the schedule, as Apex sat on the throne, playing with a ladybug. Then, an ice-blue themed changeling entered the throne room.

“Sillia? W-What’s wrong?” Ocellus asked.

“The infirmary’s out of bandages and cold medicine.” Sillia told her, and Silverstream held up the list.

“Hey! That was one of the things on the list! Restock the infirmary and the nursery!”

“W-We’ll get right on it, thank you for letting us know but we don’t have much time to chat.” Ocellus said hurriedly, gently shoving Sillia out. “Alright, let’s get started on ordering supplies!”

“How?” Yona asked

“Papa Thorax keeps or’er forms in his office!” Apex piped up, sitting up on the throne.

“Got it! Thanks Apex!” Ocellus dashed off, and Apex smiled proudly.

“Anyone else think Ocellus' do-everything-at-once system isn’t really working?” Gallus asked, and the others all raised their hooves/claws. Even Apex stuck his little hoof in the air, trying to be included.

----------------------------

Metamorphosis had collected the boys again, deciding to do something neutral and sit with them in a field to eat. Pharynx growled as he ate his sandwich, while Thorax stared in the other direction, eating a bag of chips.

“Well, I hope you’re enjoying yourself, Thorax.” Pharynx muttered, and Thorax snorted.

“Maybe I would be if you hadn’t made us go through the path that was full of thorn bushes.”

“They hurt less than my hooves did after you dragged us to see those stupid crystal flowers.” Pharynx snarled.

“At least they were pretty! And you made us leave even though it was still my turn!”

“Nothing I ever do pleases you, does it?!”

“Because you never let me be happy! I always have to do things your way, just because you’re older!” Thorax shouted, and Metamorphosis flinched.

“Oh, you think I like that kind of pressure?! Having to run an army and protect you?! I’d like a brother I could actually depend on, for once!”

“You mean boss around!”

“Shut up Thorax!”

“Boys!” Metamorphosis tried to get their attention, but they didn’t even hear him.

“You know what? I think today would be better if I was by myself!”

“Fine by me!” Pharynx grabbed his bag and his side of the torn list. “I just remembered something I’ve always wanted to do; be alone!”

“I guess we had the same thing on both of our lists then.” Thorax muttered, tearing up as he and his brother stormed off.

Metamorphosis looked at both of his retreating sons, before sighing and laying down in the grass, his ears wilting. “Boys…”

----------------------------------

“Hey Silver, where’s that list of patrol times?” Gallus called out.

“Still being reviewed!” Silverstream called, from where she and Smolder were hunched over the list.

“Um, guys? There’s a bunch of changelings waiting for something?” Sandbar asked

“It’s the open grievances consulting thing.” Ocellus replied, reading over a document. “The changelings are supposed to come in and talk about their problems with Thorax and Metamorphosis, and then they help them work through it.”

“What about grumpy prince changeling?” Yona asked

“Pharynx isn’t much help, he just makes snide commentary.” Ocellus replied, and Smolder laughed.

"Dibs on that job!"

“Guys! They look restless!” Sandbar called.

“I don’t get it! There’s six of us and we’re still flustered! How did Thorax and Pharynx manage to do all of this on their own?!” Ocellus exclaimed

“Wha’re you talkin’ ‘bout Celly, Papa Thorax an’ Uncle Pharynx ne’er did e’erything on their own!” Apex said, and the group all turned to look at him.

“What?!” they all asked as one. Apex wagged his tail, standing up on the throne, proud that he was being helpful.

“Papa Thorax an’ Uncle Pharynx had you an’ Gran’pa Mety, an’ they also go’ Sillia, Fema, Corn’cle an’ Tibius, an' Uncle Pharynx has his compe'ent lings!”

The others all looked at Ocellus, who blinked, then rolled up the document sheepishly. “I... um... n-new plan everybody! We’re going to delegate! Gallus, Smoldie, Silver, get Retina, Sillia, and Tibius!”

The three nodded and rushed off. Soon, they returned with the three changelings, and Ocellus trotted over to them.

“Retina! Get a squadron of soldiers and head out on patrol, and when you’re done get the rest started on the drills they’ve missed today!” Ocellus instructed, and she rushed off. “Sillia, we ordered a shipment of the medical equipment you needed, take someling and go meet the delivery at the border. Tibius, check on the food preparations and make sure the Hive activities are up and running!”

“Yes Princess Ocellus!” they two said as one, and she blushed as they left.

“So this is what running a kingdom is like.” Smolder said, picking up Ocellus and holding her. “Eh, not for me.”

“Heh… now, about those grievances that need airing…” Ocellus said, as Smolder sat down on the throne, still holding her girlfriend on her lap, Apex jumping over to perch on the hoofrest.

-----------------------------------

“Finally. It’s way more relaxing here without such a bossy know-it-all of a brother.” Thorax sighed, stretching out on the beach and opening a book. He noticed a lot of ponies laughing and playing together, and sighed, returning to his book.

Meanwhile, Pharynx was wandering through a forest, chuckling to himself. “Who needs a boring brother undermining me all the time anyway?” He then noticed a tree that had been decorated in pictures of ponies that had been hiking along the same trail. Many of them were in pairs, which made Pharynx sigh softly.

“Shark!”

The shrill cry made Thorax yelp and get up, rushing away from the water. He whimpered as he stood on the edge of the beach, the ponies running into the distance, screaming.

“Pharynx would’ve protected me…” Thorax muttered, shaking his head. "I don't need him anyway."

The beta changeling in question was still in the forest, scanning the map. “Alright, so after I go left, I-aghhh!”

Pharynx tripped over a root jutting out of the ground, stumbling and landing hard on his side. He hissed and grabbed at his hoof.

“Shit… Thorax always warned me if there was anything in the way…” Pharynx muttered. “And he knew how to bandage a hoof without any supplies…well, I do too... kind of. So there!”

--------------------------------

Thorax sighed as he walked out into a meadow as the sun was beginning to set. He then saw Pharynx walking towards him, limping slightly. Thorax’s eyes widened as he and Pharynx noticed each other.

“O-Oh… I thought stargazing in the meadow by the Hive was on my list…” Pharynx said slowly.

“I-I’m not copying you, I just wanted to see the fireflies…” Thorax said quickly, looking away. “Wait… where’s dad?”

“I thought he was with you.” Pharynx said, and their eyes widened. “Oh shi-”

“Wait, look!” Thorax pointed at the meadow, where a lone figure sat. The brothers raced over, finding their father looking up at the sky.

“Dad…? What are you doing out here?” Pharynx asked

“It was the one place I knew I could find you two.” Metamorphosis snapped, then sighed, and the two laid down on either side of him. “So, did you two have a good rest of your day without each other?”

“Y-Yeah! It was f-fantastic.” Thorax said, forcing a smile.

“Me too… it was great…” Pharynx said softly, and Metamorphosis sighed.

The brothers sighed as well and looked up at the sky, and he followed their gaze. A shooting star flashed across the sky and Pharynx closed his eyes.

“Falling star…” Pharynx chuckled softly. “Fortuna told us about making wishes on them, remember Thorax…?”

“Y-Yeah…” Thorax smiled at him softly. “I… I hope I was able to be depended on back then…”

Pharynx sighed and looked back at him. “You’ always were... you're not a bad brother, Thor… I shouldn’t have said that stuff… you know I love you…”

“I’m sorry too… it’s just hard being the younger brother sometimes… you know I love you too…” Thorax sighed, smiling at him softly.

“It’s not easy being the older brother either y’know… and we’re sorry to you too, dad.” Pharynx said, nuzzling Metamorphosis. “We turned a day off into a fight, and we didn’t even consider your own feelings.”

“Yeah… we’re sorry you had to put up with us…” Thorax added, and Metamorphosis put a hoof over them both.

“It’s alright boys. I was upset you weren't getting along, but right now I’m just glad you two learned something.” he nuzzled them both.

“Yeah… being with your brother can be hard, especially when you’re kind of… more than brothers.” Pharynx said, blushing.

“-But it’s even harder being without you.” Thorax added, leaning over and pecking him on the cheek. Pharynx blushed and looked down.

“Yeah, I know… I wouldn’t trade you for anything I had on my list…”

“Really? Not for all the adrenaline junkie stuff you could fit on it?”

“Not even the adrenaline stuff.” Pharynx replied, nuzzling him. Thorax giggled and hugged Pharynx and Metamorphosis.

“I love you both…”

“I love you too.” Pharynx agreed, and they smiled at Metamorphosis. “Both of you.”

Metamorphosis smiled and held them both. Thorax and Pharynx snuggled into him, one on each side. “You know, we do have to go and relieve Ocellus of rule…”

“She can wait a little longer.” Pharynx said, leaning against him.

“Yeah. We’re trying to spend time with our dad.” Thorax said, smiling at Metamorphosis, who beamed and held them even closer.

PreviousChapters Next