• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28: The Heaviest Rains Must Fall...

Metamorphosis opened his eyes a while later, looking outside. It was early morning, the three changelings had slept through the night. He sighed and stood, doing his best not to disturb his sons. Thorax shifted and clutched Pharynx closer. Apex was curled up by his head, forelegs wrapped loosely around the king’s antlers. Metamorphosis, sure that they’d be alright, left the room.

He trotted down the empty hallway, letting his hooves lead him somewhere unknown. He found himself heading for Ocellus’ room, and opened the door with a heavy heart. He found Ocellus sleeping on the floor, surrounded by books and notepads. Metamorphosis leaned down and nosed her slightly.

“M-Mom…?”

“No Ocellus, it's me, I'm sorry…” Metamorphosis said, and she opened her eyes. Ocellus sat up slightly, her ears folding back as she realized it wasn't her mother Pupae, but Thorax and Pharynx's father.

“Oh… hi Metamorphosis… is it time for…?” Ocellus trailed off, unable to say the words.

“No, it will happen in the evening.” Metamorphosis told her, giving her a gentle nuzzle.

Ocellus nodded and stood up. “I… I think I’m going to go outside… for a walk.”

“Alright. Be safe.” Metamorphosis hugged her, then let her go. Ocellus nodded and grabbed her saddlebags, stuffing a book or two into the bags before leaving the room.

Metamorphosis sighed as he watched her go, then left the room himself. He turned right, heading towards the throne room so that someone from the royal family would be there if the other changelings woke up before Thorax and Pharynx. It would be best for them to have a reassurance at least one member of their royalty was there, even if it was someone who had directly stated he wouldn't allow them to feel as though he had an authority over them. Not that it mattered. They needed guidance and someone to look to for reassurance, not orders.

Everyling in the Hive knew about what was to occur that night, and the negative emotions could be felt throughout the Hive. Thorax had had to leave the Hive multiple times to take a breath of fresh air. Many other changelings followed his lead, lest they end up vomiting due to the sick feeling negative emotions left on most changeling's tongues. Only Pharynx seemed immune to the effects, though Metamorphosis couldn't quite see this as necessarily a good thing.

Metamorphosis noticed that many changelings that passed Ocellus in the hall nuzzled and hugged her in comfort. He could tell by the emotions Ocellus gave off that she was grateful, but that she’d rather be alone. Unfortunately, everywhere she went, there were changelings there to provide words of comfort. Upon a later round of the Hive with Pharynx, Metamorphosis didn't see her, and figured she must have retreated to her room again.

Soon, it was evening. Metamorphosis joined Pharynx in getting Ocellus. Sure enough, she was in her room, once again surrounded by books and notebooks. She was staring at them blankly, seeming lost in her own thoughts, though she looked up when they came in.

“Ocellus, come with us.” Pharynx said, beckoning to her.

“Where are we going…?” Ocellus asked

“It's time. You need to come stand beside us during...” Pharynx trailed off in his explanation, but Ocellus seemed to understand.

Ocellus whimpered a little, but took a breath and nodded. She stayed silent after that, not questioning Pharynx or Metamorphosis as they led her. When they reached Thorax outside the Hive, he was standing before a crowd consisting of the entire Hive. Pharynx sighed as they joined the king, and turned to Tibius, who was beside Thorax. Pharynx took a crossbow Tibius presented to him, and Tibius bowed to them before joining the crowd.

“Where’s Apex?” Ocellus asked aloud, glancing at the older changelings.

“He’s with the Fangs.” Pharynx replied, examining the crossbow. “Near the back of the crowd. We didn’t want him to be too near… the burial, and he’s got his friends with him.”

Ocellus closed her eyes, then nodded in understanding, a single tear dripping down her cheek. The sun dipped low over the horizon, making way for Princess Luna’s inky black night sky.

“It’s time.” Metamorphosis whispered, locking eyes on the bodies in the distance.

They were covered in many vines and flowers, but Metamorphosis knew that underneath, four bodies were positioned with care. Two adult changelings with their hooves around two nymphs. He sighed, looking at Ocellus, who was crying again. Lives taken too young, and from too many.

“I’m ready.” Pharynx said, raising the crossbow. “Ocellus, usually this would be done by the remaining family members, but you don’t know the proper way to fire a crossbow.”

“Okay… but I know the words.” Ocellus whispered “They were taught to all the nymphs in the old days.”

Pharynx nodded. “Then say the words and I shall fire for you.” he said, clutching the crossbow and slowly taking aim.

Ocellus took a breath, then stepped forwards. She steadied herself, then spoke clearly, but with a wavering tone. Metamorphosis and Thorax stepped up beside her.

“Here do I see my father, and there do I see my mother, and my sisters and brothers.”

Ocellus’ tears fell faster, and Metamorphosis realized it was because the old words, unfortunately seemed to be tailor made for this situation. Her sister and brother, father and mother, were all gone. Metamorphosis pressed closer to Ocellus in comfort, sharing some love with her. She leaned against him, gathered herself, then continued.

“And there do I see the line of my kind, all the way back to our beginning. Guide their hooves to the realm of the lost.”

As Ocellus spoke this last part, Pharynx charged his antlers and set the arrow in the crossbow on fire, raising it up and firing it. It arched high into the air, then came down on the vines and flowers, beginning to burn them.

“I bid they take their place among our ancestors, in the halls of Elysium, where the brave may live forever.” Ocellus finished, as ten crossbows raised up from behind the crowd and sent ten more burning arrows after Pharynx’s.

Metamorphosis looked into the crowd, seeing the ten unreformed figures who fired the other arrows, eight adults and two nymphs. He nodded to them in silent respect, seeing them return the nods. Metamorphosis then turned at the sound of a choked cry. Ocellus, tears falling down her face, let out an anguished cry, turning and rushing off, past the crowd and into the Hive. Thorax's eyes widened and he made to follow her, but Metamorphosis held out a hoof to stop him, then headed after her himself.

Author's Note:

The Fangs belong to MlpHero, you should go check out his work.

And yes, feel free to hate me in the comments, I can take it not. Fire away.

~Melody Song

PreviousChapters Next