• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

Chapters Next
Chapter 1: Early To Bed, Late To Rise

Metamorphosis sighed as he lay on the soft mattress. This was something the old Hive had never had. He could definitely get used to this. Someling suddenly entered the room. Loudly.

“Morning dad!” Thorax called brightly.

Metamorphosis groaned as he sat up, rubbing his eyes with a hole-infested hoof. “Thorax, don’t you think it’s too early for this?”

“That’s what I said.”

Pharynx entered the room behind Thorax, who was opening the blinds. Unlike his brother, he looked like he’d just woken up, and was stifling a yawn.

“Come on you two, it’s a brand new day and dad needs to be shown the whole Hive!”

Pharynx groaned as the sun entered the room. “Move over.” he ordered, flopping down onto Metamorphosis’ bed and burrowing under the blankets to escape the sun.

Metamorphosis chuckled softly and laid a hoof over Pharynx. His son pressed against him, unknowingly feeding him a bit of breakfast.

“Pharynx!” Thorax moaned, trotting over and poking Pharynx’s back with his hoof. “Come on, I just got you up!”

“That’s why I’m over here.” Pharynx grunted. “Go. Away.”

“Pharynx, come on! Dad, help me!”

Metamorphosis sighed and patted Pharynx on the head gently. “Pharynx, come on, get up, humor your brother, please?”

“Lemme sleep!”

“Pharynx, I don’t see why you’re not getting up, don’t you have soldiers to drill?” Thorax sighed

“That’s why I’m not getting up!” Pharynx wrapped his hooves around Metamorphosis in a hug, resting against him. “Dumb hardheaded think-they-know-everything ‘lings… headache waiting to happen…”

Thorax sighed and leaned down to nuzzle him behind the ears. Pharynx’s ears twitched and he grunted.

“Come on cuddlebug-”

“Watch it…”

“Alright, alright. Pharynx, what if I promise-”

“You’ll take over their training?”

“Not a chance.”

“Ugh…”

Thorax sat down and tried to tug Pharynx into his hooves. He refused to let go of Metamorphosis. Thorax sighed, then smirked and gave him a quick squeeze to the ribs.

“Eek!” Pharynx squealed like a schoolfilly, forelegs unlatching from around Metamorphosis to curl protectively in front of his chest.

“Hehe, aww.” Thorax pulled him into a hug and nuzzled him.

“Thorax!” Pharynx blushed and nestled against him.

“What? It’s cute!”

“Shuddap.” Pharynx grumbled, burying his head in Thorax’s shoulder.

Thorax smiled and nuzzled him gently. “Come on, let’s get you some coffee, then start showing dad around.”

“Coffee, yes. Showing him your lame activities, no.”

“Come on Phar…”

“I’m tired and want to go back to sleep. You’re not getting a positive reaction from me about your dumb crafts and feelings-”

“Pharynx if you say Feelings Circles one more time…” Thorax warned

Pharynx looked up, then smirked. “Feelings Circles.”

Thorax hesitated, then growled and lunged, throwing his weight on top of Pharynx as they fell onto the bed.

“Thorax! What the heck?!”

“They’re Feelings Forums, Pharynx!”

“So?! You never cared before!”

Thorax stopped, sighing. “I’m sorry, it’s just… I’ve been staying up late to deal with political stuff and I guess I’m a bit ti-” he broke off.

Pharynx squirmed and managed to free himself, grinning. “I’m sorry, were you about to say ‘tired’? My brother, tired in the early morning when he’s playing his favorite early morning game; wake-up-call rooster?”

“I…” Thorax sighed “Maybe I am tired… just a little bit…”

Pharynx smirked and laid back down, Metamorphosis following his lead.

“Come on bro, what always happens whenever we snu-er… what usually happens in the mornings some days?”

“Oh, you mean when you swallow your pride and come sleep in bed with me because you’re scared?” Thorax teased

Pharynx blushed. “Whatever… still, what usually happens in the mornings then?”

“Heh, we, uh… we…” Thorax stammered, apparently knowing his answer would prove Pharynx right.

Pharynx nodded. “We sleep in. Come on.” he flopped over and grabbed Metamorphosis’ foreleg, wrapping it over himself in a hug.

“Heh, I would like to see what’s so nice about these ‘cuddle piles’...” Metamorphosis said slowly.

Thorax hesitated, then lit up his antlers, closing the door and shutting the blinds with his magic. He then crawled closer to them and settled down beside Pharynx, wrapping his hooves around his older brother and setting his head on top of Pharynx’s.

“Alright, we can sleep in a little longer. But I’m being the big spoon.” he told Pharynx.

“Whatever… can I at least get that coffee when we wake up?”

“...Sure Pharynx…”

Thorax then pulled Pharynx close, and the beta changeling yawned. He nuzzled close and settled down.

“You know… we should make a new law… mornings are hereby banned.”

“Pharynx, we can’t do that.”

“Sure we can, we’re the…” Pharynx yawned and nestled closer. “...the leaders. We can do whatever the buck we want…”

“We’re not banning the morning Pharynx.”

“Why nooot?”

“Because I said no. Besides, it’s not even possible to ban a time of day.”

“Whatever… I don’ hafta listen to you anyway… I’m the older brother…”

“Heh, you’re the sleepybug brother.” Thorax teased, chuckling. Pharynx just cuddled against Thorax, still mumbling as he drifted off.

“Don’t care… by order of… Prince-General Pharynx, the…” he yawned again “The older, wiser, stronger, and best brother… mornings are now illegal. Waking up early to force your siblings out of bed for inane and boring stuff is… punishable by… tickle attacks… especially Monday mornings… those… mmn… will be punished by… full extent of the law…”

Thorax rolled his eyes and stroked his brother’s head, looking up at Metamorphosis.

“Don’t listen to him, he’s just being silly.”

Metamorphosis smiled. “I know.”

Thorax smiled back and settled against the pillows, closing his eyes with a content sigh. “That pillow and blanket donation started by Princess Twilight was probably the best idea she’s ever…” he yawned before continuing. “...had…” he then fell asleep, still holding his brother.

Metamorphosis pressed closer against his sons. He watched as the elder brother wrapped his hooves around the younger brother. Pharynx rested his head in the curve of Thorax’s neck, and the two cuddled together. Metamorphosis smiled softly and curled up beside them, nuzzling them both before falling back asleep.

Chapters Next