• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20: A Heart Warming Love

“Happy hearts so full bright, Hearth’s Warming Eve is here once again~” a couple changelings hummed as they passed the throne room.

Metamorphosis chuckled as he watched the happy changelings, excited for the celebration that would begin the next day. He was sitting by Thorax’s throne, Pharynx on the other side. Thorax was lazing on his throne as he usually did, and giggled as he heard the changelings. He began humming the song. Apex, who was curled up with him, glanced up at him.

“Oh what a sight, look at the lights, all for tonigh-”

“Will you knock it off Thorax?” Pharynx muttered, and Apex giggled.

“Let him sing, Pharynx, it’s a nice song.” Metamorphosis said

“If ‘nice’ is equal to ‘cavity-inducing’.” Pharynx grumbled

“Aww, such a little humbug.” Thorax teased, patting him on the head.

“A what now?” Pharynx asked, swatting Thorax’s hoof away.

“Hum-bug?” Apex asked, and Thorax nuzzled him.

“Cadence and Shining told me it meant false or deceptive talk.”

“Well then Hearth’s Warming is a humbug.” Pharynx said

“Aww, come on Phar, what’s not to love?”

“The colorful decorations, the endless singing, the overpowering love…” Pharynx listed, and Apex began giggling.

“Th-That’s enough Pharynx.” Thorax said, covering his brother’s mouth. Just as Pharynx pulled away and opened his mouth to say something else, they heard someling call out to them.

“Happy Hearth’s Warming Thorax!” Ocellus came trotting in, wearing a scarf and earmuffs. Metamorphosis chuckled, she looked adorable.

“Oh, Ocellus! I didn’t expect you this early!” Thorax said

“I finished packing early, so we were able to catch an earlier train.”

“We?” Pharynx asked

“I, uh, invited Smolder to come.” Ocellus explained, blushing slightly. “She said the Feast of Fire gets boring after a while, and her parents gave her permission…”

“It’s perfectly alright Ocellus.” Thorax smiled at her kindly. “In fact, Ember is going to be visiting as well.”

“Oh.” Ocellus brightened. “Smolder will like that. She was getting our bags.”

Smolder herself entered just then, carrying a couple bags and a backpack on her back. Ocellus smiled as she walked up.

“Heh, hello Smolder.” Thorax greeted

“Hey.” Smolder greeted.

“Come on Smolder, we can share my room.” Ocellus said

“Kay then.” Smolder headed out

“Hold on a moment Ocellus.” Metamorphosis suddenly, and she paused.

“Y-Yes, Metamorphosis?”

Metamorphosis waited for Smolder to leave the throne room, then spoke. “You invited her here to win her affections, didn’t you?”

“Wh-What?” Ocellus blushed heavily.

“It’s okay Ocellus, I’m not trying to upset you.” Metamorphosis assured her. Thorax sat up slightly.

“Dad’s right, it’s okay if that’s the reason, Ocellus.”

Ocellus looked away, then nodded. “I… I asked her to come so I could tell her how I feel…”

“G’oss.” Apex said, sticking out his tongue. Metamorphosis chuckled and picked the nymph up, nuzzling him.

Thorax smiled at them, then stood, going to her. She looked up at him and he nuzzled her.

“How about you and Smolder, and your family of course, spend the holidays with my family? Ember will be there too, and Tempest, but they won’t mind.”

“R-Really?”

“Of course.” Thorax smiled at her. “I’ll let you catch up with Smolder now, okay?”

Ocellus nodded, hugging him briefly. “Thank you Thorax.” with that, she headed out.

“We’re really going to let her and her family join us?” Pharynx asked as Thorax returned to his throne.

“Of course Pharynx, don’t worry about it. I’m sure she and Smolder will agree not to say anything about Ember and Tempest.”

“It’s not them I’m worried about.” Pharynx retorted. “It’s Oculus and Pupae. If they say one thing about my ‘lackluster’ training styles…”

Metamorphosis nuzzled him. “I’m sure it’ll be fine, Pharynx. And look how excited Ocellus was. She really wants to show Smolder how she feels.”

“I guess I can stand her parents for her sake…” Pharynx sighed. “Ocellus isn’t so bad…”

“I’m glad we’re in agreement.” Thorax smiled.

That night, the Hive was calm and quiet. Most lights were off, waiting for the traditions to begin the next day. But one light shone in a single room. In this room, was Metamorphosis, his sons, and Apex. Along with two others.

Thorax was lying on his stomach, and leaning back against him was Ember. She was smiling at the alpha changeling, a claw resting in a bowl of gems, listening to him talk. Pharynx was nearby, curled up with Tempest. The mare was resting, tired after a long day of patrols before Twilight had sent her off on a mandatory holiday break. Metamorphosis lay between the two couples, smiling at their affection, taking the tiniest bit of the love they were emitting. Apex was curled up on his back, yawning.

The door opened slowly, and the group all looked up. Ocellus stepped in cautiously, holding two nymphs on her back. Smolder was behind her. These nymphs were her siblings, a pink themed female named Scorpia, and a green themed male named Capillarie.

“Ah, Ocellus, there you are.” Metamorphosis smiled at her as she let the nymphs slide off her back.

“I-I hope we aren’t late…”

“Of course not.” Thorax replied kindly, as the nymphs ran to him. He giggled as they began clambering onto his antlers, playing. “Heh, hello little ones.”

“Where are your parents?” Pharynx asked, Thorax and Metamorphosis both shot stern looks at him.

“They… they didn’t want to come.” Ocellus explained, head drooping sadly.

“I see…” Metamorphosis frowned.

Oculus and Pupae were frustrating, but never did they seem to be neglectful parents. He wondered why they were doing this now, as well as clearly passing off the responsibility of watching their young nymphs to their daughter.

“Don’t worry about them Ocellus, we are glad to have you and Smolder here.” Thorax said, smiling. Ocellus brightened and sat down near them, Smolder joining her.

They talked for a while, and Metamorphosis definitely noticed a strong attraction between the two young creatures. More than that, Smolder was teasing Ocellus, making Metamorphosis smile.

“She’s practically flirting with her.”

Smolder slipped an arm around Ocellus’ shoulders, giving her a light squeeze and smirking.

“So, you said you had a gift for me?”

“It’s tradition.” Ocellus replied, blushing. “So you’ll have to wait until tomorrow.”

“Ugh, come on!” Smolder groaned, and Ocellus giggled, daring to lean against Smolder. The dragoness blushed and pulled her closer.

Soon, Capillarie and Scorpia were curled up in Metamorphosis’ forelegs, sleeping beside Apex. Pharynx and Tempest were sleepily cuddling. Ember had fallen asleep already, lying against Thorax, her arms loosely around his neck. Ocellus and Smolder were dozing as well.

“Heh, I think it’s time for bed.” Thorax said, rising and adjusting Ember to carry her on his back.

“Mhm…” Pharynx yawned and stood wearily, Tempest beside him.

Ocellus and Smolder stood up, yawning and stretching. Metamorphosis laid the sleeping nymphs on Ocellus’ back.

“Goodnight Thorax, night Apex. Goodnight Pharynx.” Ocellus said, yawning slightly. “Night Metamorphosis, Tempest.”

“Goodnight Ocellus, Smolder.” Thorax replied, smiling. As Ocellus and Smolder left, Pharynx and Tempest headed out of the room as well. “Night Pharynx, night Tempest.”

“Night Thor, Apex, you too dad…” Pharynx yawned, leaning on Tempest and smiling at her. “C’mon Temp, I can’t wait to get some sleep…”

“Right behind you, my king.” Tempest said, giggling softly at his blush.

Metamorphosis nuzzled Thorax. “I’ll take Apex to snuggle with me, so you and Ember can head to bed. Goodnight my son.”

“Goodnight dad.” Thorax nuzzled back.

Metamorphosis smiled as he trotted down the hall and re entered his room, carrying Apex with him. He thought happily of what was to come the next day. Metamorphosis was proud to be sharing this time of cheer with his sons, and eager to be at the Hive for this new holiday.

Author's Note:

How did I forget to post this until now? Ugh, well, I do have Midterms coming up, studying's taking most of my time. Anyway, enjoy!

~Melody Song

PreviousChapters Next