• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,721 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,721

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 25: One Bad Event…

Author's Note:

Warning: this chapter contains scenes dealing with "The Circle of Life" (I am sure you all know what that means) and if you are uncomfortable with that, you have my permission to leave now. I might make a short blog detailing the events of this chapter and the next one, and why I felt it necessary to write these chapters.

Those of you who remain, read on, and maybe grab some tissues for the chapter and the next one. I cried myself while writing them. Or maybe I'm just really sensitive...or both...anyway, read on.

~Melody Song

“What?!” Thorax exclaimed “I had no idea, Galectic, I’m so sorry, please, take me to them.”

Galectic nodded, he and Sunrise turning and galloping back to their town. Thorax, Pharynx, and Metamorphosis followed fast behind.

“It was Oculus and Pupae, it had to be.” Pharynx said as they neared the town.

“I hate to admit it but I think you’re right…” Thorax said, looking down at the ground.

“I’m always right!”

“This is not about you being right, Pharynx! If it was them, that means they disobeyed me.” Thorax explained. “And you know I’m not good at punishing ‘lings…”

“I’ll handle that part.” Pharynx said, giving a slight smirk as they entered the town. “I’ve been wanting to make Oculus pay ever since he and Pupae started calling me weak…”

Metamorphosis looked up, hearing Galectic and Sunrise gasp. His eyes widened.

“Son… I don’t think you’ll be able to punish them.” Metamorphosis breathed

“What do you mean da-” Pharynx broke off as he and Thorax also saw it.

A Pegasus in a military outfit was facing a few ponies in police uniforms. She seemed to be berating them. The reason behind her lecturing was not hard to spot. Two bodies, lying in the middle of the street, eyes blank but mouths upturned in snarls. Oculus, and his mate Pupae.

Sunrise gasped and covered her mouth in shock. Thorax, Pharynx, and Metamorphosis ran to the changelings. Gashes were along their sides and carapace. Metamorphosis looked at his sons to avoid seeing the lifeless bodies. Thorax’s expression was of sheer, stricken horror. Pharynx’s face was expressionless, but Metamorphosis could taste shock and anger coming off him.

“Moondrop! What is the meaning of this?!” Galectic asked, voice rising in panic.

The Pegasus turned. She had a bright blue coat and dark black mane with electric blue streaks in it. Her silver eyes showed nothing but remorse.

“I’m so sorry Mayor Dust. I know your orders are to detain all enemies, but the guards had different ideas, they attacked before I could issue commands.” Moondrop bowed. “I am so sorry your highness, this was not what I would have preferred.”

Thorax didn’t respond, Metamorphosis realized he was still slightly shocked. Pharynx also said nothing. Metamorphosis stepped forward.

“It’s alright, Moondrop, was it? I know this was not your fault. But please condition your guards better in the future.” Metamorphosis said, moving forwards and lifting up Oculus’ body.

Pharynx snapped out of his stunned state, then sighed. He walked over and lifted Pupae up, setting her on his back. Thorax recovered at last, giving a polite nod to the mayor, though he was clearly on the verge of tears. Metamorphosis led them away quickly, and stopped once they were somewhere between the town and the Hive.

“Let it out Thorax. It’s okay.” Metamorphosis whispered

Thorax fell onto his haunches and began sobbing. Metamorphosis lifted Oculus off his back, laying him gently in the grass. Pharynx did the same with Pupae. The two then went to comfort Thorax.

“T-Two l-lives gone… b-because of a stupid decision and us not listening!” Thorax sobbed, and Metamorphosis rubbed his back.

“We listened, Thorax, and we advised. They just chose to ignore it.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him. “This is not your fault, I know it is easy to blame yourself, but you don’t have to.”

“And we’ll send them off with a warriors’ ceremony.” Pharynx added. “Even though it’s probably more than they deserve…”

“N-No, you don’t understand… P-Pupae and Oculus threw away more than just their lives going into that fight…” Thorax sobbed. “They… they also risked…”

“Capillarie and Scorpia’s…” Metamorphosis realized.

“Th-They’re too young to survive without Pupae’s nectar!” Thorax cried. “A-And there are no other nymphs young enough to have mothers who can supply them with it!”

Metamorphosis and Pharynx had no response to this. They could only sit beside Thorax in silent comfort, trying not to look at the bodies beside them.

When the trio bore the bodies back home, the Hive was in shock. Metamorphosis couldn’t blame them. Oculus and Pupae had been well known among the Hive, and despite their attitude to Pharynx, they were good changelings. The Hive began preparing for the burial ceremony, though they did so in silence. Barely talking to one another, speaking only in dull voices to ask questions.

Thorax was not exempt from this. He slouched on his throne in the day, and slept fitfully at night. Metamorphosis hated to see Thorax like this as he cried for days. Metamorphosis and Pharynx did their best to comfort him, but it was hard, knowing he was right to be upset.

“Ph-Pharynx…?” Thorax spoke at last, looking up at Pharynx, wiping his eyes. “C-Can you go get Capillarie and Scorpia…?”

Pharynx nodded and headed out. Metamorphosis nuzzled Thorax.

“Will you be okay to talk with them?”

“I have to be.” Thorax murmured, straightening up.

“Thorax…” Metamorphosis nuzzled him, then smiled softly and cupped his hoof to Thorax’s cheek. “You are so brave, my son. And strong. Perhaps not in the same way as Pharynx, but still in a way that makes you a perfect ruler.”

“Thanks dad…” Thorax whispered

“Thorax.” Pharynx entered, Scorpia and Capillarie riding on his back. As he neared them, he lowered his voice. “They were too weak to walk here.” he murmured in a worried tone.

Thorax nodded in understanding, taking the nymphs from Pharynx. “Hello Capillarie, Scorpia. How are you doing?”

“G-Good, Papa Thorax…” Scorpia said, smiling

“Hungry…” Capillarie added

“Mhm. Mommy usually gives us nectar…” Scorpia said quietly.

“I know.” Thorax nuzzled her. “Believe me, we’re trying our best to get nectar for you two.”

“Th-Thank you Papa Thorax…” Capillarie hugged him

“For the time being…” Thorax set them down. “Why don’t you go back to the nursery? I’ll be getting word to your sister soon, so she’ll be here in a few days.”

“Celly’s coming home? Yay!” Scorpia said

Capillarie smiled, and Scorpia trotted off, leading her brother out of the throne room and back towards the nursery. Metamorphosis hoped the love Thorax had shared had given them enough energy to make it back to the nursery on their own. He needed to speak with his sons.

“Thorax… they… they’re not going to make it.” Metamorphosis murmured. Thorax jumped slightly.

“No dad! They-They can’t!” Thorax exclaimed, letting a few tears fall again. “They have to live. They’re a part of the next generation of changelings.”

Metamorphosis nodded. “I know. But sometimes, fate has other ideas.”

Thorax let out a sob, and collapsed down into his throne. Pharynx and Metamorphosis put their hooves around him, offering silent comfort.

PreviousChapters Next