• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 42: Father

Author's Note:

And now for something more lighthearted.

~Melody Song

“Ocellus?” Metamorphosis looked into her room, and the young female looked up at him.

“Oh, hi Metamorphosis. Did you need something?”

“Well, yes, in a way…” Metamorphosis sat down on Ocellus’ bed, beckoning for her to join him. She sat beside him and he gave her a gentle smile. “You remember a couple days ago?”

“When you came out to us, yeah.”

“Before that, actually.” Metamorphosis prompted. “Thorax and Pharynx opened your present and you…”

Ocellus blushed and looked away. Metamorphosis placed a hoof on her shoulder.

“...You almost called me dad.” Metamorphosis said

“Yeah, I remember… I-I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to, I just wasn’t thinking-”

“Ocellus, I’m not here to ask you to apologize.” Metamorphosis cut her off, and she stared at him. “I’m just… a little surprised. I remember Thorax telling you after…”

“That he thinks of me as a daughter… I know. I’m flattered, really, but… I don’t know… it’s confusing. I always sort of saw him and Pharynx as older brothers. I’m not sure if that means I’m Thorax’s daughter or the twins’ sister, I… I don’t know…”

Metamorphosis put a hoof around her in a side-hug. “Well, what do you want, Ocellus? What is your dream family like?”

“Just… a family that loves me… who are there for me and encourage me… a-and if I had some siblings that would be nice, I miss Capillarie and Scorpia so much… a-and I want parents… real ones who care about what I have to say. Who don’t just pawn my baby siblings off on me to do who knows what… I want them to support me…”

“Who would you want to be in who’s place in your family?”

“I’m not sure… Apex is kind of like a brother, I guess, but he’s so young and playful… he would remind me a bit too much of Capillarie and Scorpia if we were like siblings… Pharynx is in no way my uncle. He’s way too much of a pest to me… he’s pesky, but at the same time I like it when he annoys me and I tease him back, because it just means we love each other…”

“What about Thorax?”

“Brother. He’s nice and friendly to me, but he’s more like a brother than a father. A father can be your friend, but he doesn’t act like one.”

“...And me?”

Ocellus tensed slightly, clearly worried she might answer in a way that would upset him. “I… Apex calls you grandfather, but you only act that way with him… you… you kind of are more like how Thorax acts to the Hive. The… father…”

Ocellus looked up at him, and Meta smiled softly. “Then it sounds like you’ve already made your decision.”

“...Can I call Pharynx ‘big-little brother’? It’ll seriously tick him off.”

Metamorphosis laughed softly. “You should take that up with him, Ocellus.”

“Fine.” Ocellus smiled happily and stood up. “I’ll go call him that now and see how he reacts. Wait here.”

Metamorphosis chuckled and nodded, allowing the teenaged nymph to trot happily out of her room. He smiled softly and looked around at it. The bookshelves were covering most of the wall space, a vanity and a closet taking up only about a fourth of the space. He didn’t get a chance to admire much else, however, before he heard shouting and mischievous giggling. Evidently, Pharynx had been nearby.

Sure enough, Ocellus burst back into her room, nearly collapsing with laughter. Pharynx charged in after her, an annoyed look on his face.

“But see, you’re smaller than Thorax so you’re big and little! Get it?” Ocellus forced out between giggles.

“Har-de-har-har.” Pharynx snorted dryly, recognizing he couldn’t do much if he wanted to without hurting the nymph. “It wasn’t that funny… anyway, what was that for?”

“What do you mean? I was just saying hi to my brother.” Ocellus said, batting her eyes at him innocently.

“Wait, what?”

“Brother!” Ocellus exclaimed, latching onto him as he yelped in surprise.

“Ocellus, get off me!” Pharynx yelped, glancing around and spotting Metamorphosis. “Dad, help! My personal space is being invaded!”

Metamorphosis chuckled, holding in laughter. “Oh be nice Pharynx, your sister just wants a hug.”

“Since when was she my sister?!”

“Since five minutes ago!” Ocellus replied cheerfully. Pharynx stared at her, then at Metamorphosis, who smiled at him as innocently as he could manage.

“...Dad… What. Did. You. Do?”

“Nothing…” Metamorphosis said, trying to play innocent. Pharynx gave him a deadpan look. “Ocellus and I were just talking about what role she would like to play in our family, Pharynx.”

“And she chose…”

“Pesky little sibling number two!” Ocellus wagged her tail. “It has almost as many lines as pesky brother number one!”

“I-wait. Who’s pesky brother one?”

“You!”

“Ocellus!”

Ocellus giggled mischievously as Pharynx glared at her. Metamorphosis chuckled and stood up, going over to them.

“So you only asked her for now, right? Like, you haven’t officially adopted her yet?”

“That’s right Pharynx, but I certainly could officially adopt her if she wanted me to.” Metamorphosis replied, and Ocellus beamed and nodded eagerly.

“Fine… but I’m still going to call you a shrimp.” Pharynx told Ocellus, who grinned at him.

“But then what will you call Thorax? Big brother?”

“Stop it!”

“Stop it!” Ocellus mocked

“Quit it Ocellus!”

“Quit it Ocellus!”

“Dad, make her stop!”

“Dad, make her stop!”

“I’m a loudmouthed idiot!”

“You’re a loudmouthed idiot!”

Pharynx immediately shut his mouth, realizing Ocellus had tricked him at his own game. Metamorphosis laughed and stepped over to nuzzle his son, consoling his wounded pride. Pharynx smiled lightly, and Ocellus reared, so she could look up at the two of them better. Metamorphosis smiled, nuzzling her, and she nuzzled him back. Pharynx rolled his eyes, but smiled at the two.

“Happy now, Ocellus?” Pharynx asked her, and she beamed.

“Why yes Phary, I am.”

“As am I.” Metamorphosis agreed, and indeed he was. He smiled, happy that his family was growing. After all, that just meant more to love.

End of Act 5

PreviousChapters Next