• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 10: Meet the Leaders

Metamorphosis hadn’t realized they’d entered the meeting room. He also didn’t realize his disguise had dropped some time during his conversation with Pharynx. As Pharynx and Metamorphosis looked up, they saw the other leaders staring at them.

“Prince-General Pharynx, who is this?” a hippogriff Metamorphosis assumed was Queen Novo asked Pharynx sharply. His sons had briefed him on the other leaders and what they looked like.

Thorax stood and headed towards his brother and father. Metamorphosis opened his mouth to apologize to Thorax, but his son gave a quick dismissing shake of his head.

“Everycreature… this is Metamorphosis.” Thorax took a breath. “Our father.”

The creatures in the room all stared. Most of them, anyway. Metamorphosis noticed Ember, Princess Cadence, and Twilight all looking unsurprised to see him. Eventually, the alicorn he knew must be Princess Celestia spoke up.

“I was unaware you two had a father.”

Thorax nodded. “We didn’t know about him ourselves for a while. Pharynx and I managed to find proof that he was alive, and he’d left the hive shortly before we were born. We brought him back home. I figured that since we were all meeting here today, it would be a good time to introduce him to you all.”

Princess Celestia nodded in understanding. “I can see your reasoning. However, would you care to explain why he isn’t…?”

“Father is unable to transform like the rest of us, it seems to be a birth defect.” Pharynx replied

The room was silent as everyone processed this information. Then, Yona leaned over and whispered something to Prince Rutherford, who gave a light stomp on the floor, and spoke.

“Yaks no see twisted changeling, see only new ally. Yak trust royal brothers, yak trust brother’s father. Offer hoof in friendship.” Prince Rutherford declared

“I agree.” Princess Cadence spoke, making the attention turn to her. “Thorax and Pharynx introduced myself and Shining to Metamorphosis last week. He is a wonderful changeling, very kind and true, in spite of not being able to transform. He even offered to try and repay us both for the shelter we offered to his son while Thorax was in exile. I would place my trust in him.”

“We’ve met before too.” Ember spoke, leaning back in her chair leisurely. “He’s a pretty nice guy, and trust me, he acts exactly like Thorax.”

Thorax blushed a little at this. Twilight raised her hoof for their attention, giggling softly.

“He also went with Thorax and Pharynx to Ponyville not too long ago. They were introducing him to Ocellus. I got to know him a little, as did Starlight and Spike. While Ember is correct and he does match Thorax’s personality to a tee, it must be noted that a bit of Pharynx’s is also there. He was able to intimidate Starlight-for good reason, I assure you. Despite that, he is a very nice changeling.”

“Well, with those kind words, I see no reason to hold anything against you merely for your looks.” Princess Celestia said, smiling. “As Rutherford so wisely said, we will look past your outward appearance, Metamorphosis, and instead see your true self.”

Metamorphosis blinked. “Th-Thank you, your highness.” he said softly

“If Celestia has placed her trust in you, I see no reason not to do the same.” Queen Novo smiled at him.

“Yay!” the hippogriff Metamorphosis recognized as Silverstream suddenly cheered, pumping her forelegs in victory.

They all turned to Gruff, who hadn’t said a word. He scoffed and waved his cane.

“Bah! If the rest of you want to put your trust in a former servant to Chrysalis be my guest! I won’t be having any of it though, you can guarantee!” Gruff proclaimed.

Metamorphosis’ heart sunk. He lowered his head and instinctively began scuffing his hoof on the floor as though he were a nymph. He saw Thorax move closer to him and Pharynx step forward. Just as Pharynx was about to open his mouth to defend his father, someone spoke.

“I offer friendship.”

They all looked over. The blue and yellow griffon, Gallus, if Metamorphosis remembered correctly, was leaning forward on the table. He was holding out his claw towards them, giving a slight smirk. Gruff, however, bashed him on the head with his cane. As Gallus yelped and rubbed his head, Gruff jabbed the cane in his chest.

“Boy! You’ll learn to keep your mouth shut when the adults are speaking, understood?”

“Oh whatever, you’re not even my legal guardian.” Gallus snapped “Besides, if you’re gonna keep your head firmly stuck up your flank, then it’s up to me to handle this stuff.”

Gruff scoffed again. “Fine! Bring Griffonstone to ruin! See if I care!” he then stalked out of the room.

Metamorphosis looked to Gallus. “I’m sorry if-”

“Don’t be.” Gallus waved him off. “Gruff’s a pain in the flank every other day of the week. He doesn’t even want the ambassador position, he just took it because no one else wanted to do it either. Suits me just fine though. I’d be happy to extend Griffonstone’s claw, or whatever it is we’re supposed to do to form allies.”

Metamorphosis smiled softly and nodded. This griffon was smart, and while he clearly would need some lessons in diplomacy, he would make a fine ambassador. Princess Celestia cleared her throat.

“Thank you Gallus, you have shown great respect and humility. We will search for another, adult, ambassador for Griffonstone in the future. But for now we are glad to have you. Now, let us begin.”

Princess Celestia began the meeting, and as she spoke, Metamorphosis noticed something. The ruler’s students had begun giving each other looks. It was as if they were having their own conversation with their eyes.

Ocellus, who was taking notes, only occasionally glanced up, but even then seemed to be able to add her own piece to the student’s mental conversation. Gallus was listening mostly to Princess Celestia, as the sole ambassador of Griffonstone now, but he did sneak occasional glances at the others.

“Metamorphosis.” Celestia spoke, drawing his attention.

“Y-Yes, Princess?”

Celestia laid her hooves on the table. “I assume you are aware that Chrysalis is still in hiding, but free?”

“Thorax and Pharynx informed me of this, yes.” Metamorphosis looked down. “I… had hoped she had changed, like the others.”

“Bringing us to the reason I say this.” Celestia said. “I assume you know the old saying; ‘Know thine enemy’?”

Metamorphosis nodded, understanding. Celestia pressed on.

“In order to properly defend ourselves against Chrysalis, we need to know her history.”

PreviousChapters Next