• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Act 6 Chapter 43: Uprooted Ideas

Author's Note:

And so, Act 6 has begun!

“Dad! Dad wake up, wake up!”

Thorax’s cry made Metamorphosis shoot straight up in bed. He yelped and looked around, finding his son’s face directly in front of him.

“Thorax? What’s wrong?” Metamorphosis asked, yawning and rubbing his eyes.

“I can’t find Ocellus!” Thorax exclaimed. “She’s gone!”

“What?!” Metamorphosis got up immediately. “Tell me what you know.”

“Nothing! I went to go get her for breakfast and she was gone! Not even a note like the last time she ran away to be with her friends!” Thorax was starting to look angry, and Metamorphosis took a step back as Pharynx entered the room, yawning.

“Thorax, take a breath and calm down, please.” Metamorphosis told him calmly.

“B-But she could be in danger!”

“Who could be in danger and why must it be so important that you disturbed my sleep?” Pharynx asked, stifling a yawn.

“Ocellus is gone! She didn’t leave a note and she could be anywhere!”

“...Too bad. Can I go back to bed now?”

“Pharynx! Be serious!”

“I am being serious!”

“Boys!” Metamorphosis called, getting their attention. “Pharynx, if you don’t have something helpful to add to this conversation, go back to sleep.”

“Terrific.” Pharynx trotted over to them, then flopped onto Metamorphosis’ bed. The father chuckled softly as his son promptly curled up like a cat and closed his eyes.

“Dad!”

“I’m sorry Thorax, but you know Pharynx needs sleep before he can be beneficial to important discussions.”

“I know, I know… still, I’m worried a-and mad, Ocellus can’t rush off like that!”

“Technically, she can.” Pharynx grunted, not opening his eyes. “Since we adopted her, she’s technically a princess now, and royalty can do what they like regardless of who likes it or not.”

“Not the point!” Thorax stomped a hoof impatiently. “Where could she be…?”

“Oh, I don’t know Thorax.” Pharynx began, raising his head and giving his brother a look. “Where could Ocellus possibly have gone when she’s not in the Hive, it’s almost time for her school to start again, and the one other time she ran away, she left to be with the friends from school?”

Thorax blinked, then facehoofed. “Right… how could I have forgotten… I’ll just go down there-”

“Thorax, no. You need to calm down before you leave. You don’t want to snap at Ocellus, you might regret it.” Metamorphosis said.

“Alright… so who should go…?” Thorax asked, glancing at where Pharynx lay on the bed.

“Oh, don’t look at me.” Pharynx said immediately, yawning. “I’m going to need coffee before I do anything helpful. Or more sleep. That works too.”

“I’ll go.” Metamorphosis kissed his eldest son on the forehead, then nuzzled Thorax. “Why don’t you join Pharynx in getting some sleep, Thorax? I’ll handle this.”

“Alright dad, if you’re sure…” Thorax sighed and laid down beside Pharynx, who was already asleep again.

“Don’t worry Thorax, I can handle it.” Metamorphosis sighed softly and headed out of the room. “She is my daughter now…”

As Metamorphosis flew to Ponyville, he reflected on what Thorax had told him. It wasn’t like Ocellus to leave like this, she was a good nymph. While Thorax had told him about the last time Ocellus had run away from the Hive, he couldn’t see a reason she would leave without a warning this time. As Metamorphosis landed on the outskirts of Ponyville, he began to understand Thorax’s anger. Not only was this a long flight just to go and fetch her, but there was no possible explanation for why she had come here.

“Princess Twilight?” Metamorphosis asked loudly, walking into the School of Friendship.

“Oh! Metamorphosis! What are you doing here?” Twilight asked, seeming startled as she trotted up to the unreformed changeling.

“Thorax noticed Ocellus was missing and when I saw how upset he was I offered to-”

“Of course they didn’t tell anyone where they were going.” Twilight sighed, beckoning to him. “Follow me, I know where they went.”

Metamorphosis blinked in confusion, but heeded her words and followed her. They left the school, and began heading for the forest on the outskirts of the town. Twilight took off and Metamorphosis followed her lead. The two flew over the forest as Twilight led him to a rocky cliff leading down into a deep ravine.

“This way.” Twilight called, leading him from the air, flying down to a cavern opening in one of the cliff walls. Metamorphosis could see Ocellus within the cave, surrounded by her friends, and his frown deepened.

Ocellus!” Metamorphosis called out sternly, landing with a slight thud as he hit the ground.

Ocellus squeaked in alarm and in a flash of light, she sat on the ground as a small rock. Twilight giggled softly, and while Metamorphosis wanted to join her due to the sheer adorableness of Ocellus’ rock form, he couldn’t. He strode up to the rock and stared down at her sternly.

“Ocellus, what were you thinking young lady? Thorax and I were worried sick, you need to tell us where you’re going before you leave! The last time this happened there was almost a war!” Metamorphosis exclaimed, and Ocellus transformed back shyly.

“It was an emergency! I-I’m sorry… d-dad…” Ocellus stuttered nervously, causing her friends to stare at her in shock.

“Wait, since when was he your-” Gallus began, only for Smolder to elbow him in the side. Metamorphosis sighed softly.

“It’s okay Ocellus, just please ask next time. Now come on, we have to go back to the Hive.” Metamorphosis told her.

“Wait! She can’t leave yet!” Smolder dodged in front of Metamorphosis as he tried to lead Ocellus away. “We have a… uh… Dragon Quest!”

“But she’s not a dragon.” Metamorphosis said, closing his eyes in resigned sterness as he heard a familiar noise behind him. “You know what I mean Ocellus.”

The nymph transformed back from her dragon form with a sigh. Yona stomped a hoof.

“Yona not let dad changeling take Ocellus away! This quest for all Yona’s friends! Need to help the tree!”

“And it might take a while.” Sandbar added

“Please can we stay Headmare Twilight, pleaseeee?” Silverstream begged, and Twilight glanced at Metamorphosis, who gave her a slight nod.

“Well, if you all get permission from your families and leaders, then I suppose it’s alright.” Twilight agreed after a moment. Gallus stepped over, holding out three sheets of paper.

“You want that permission slip in triplicate or is one enough?” Gallus asked. When they all stared at him, he merely shrugged. “What? I like to be prepared.”

“Aww! A griffon after my own hea-”

“-Gruff usually tears up the first two.” Gallus finished. Twilight, who had just placed a hoof over her heart, touched, dropped it and gave a sigh.

Metamorphosis smiled softly, beckoning to Ocellus. “Come on then my bookbug, let’s get back to the Hive to alleviate Thorax’s worries, and have him sign that form.”

Ocellus blushed and nodded, then turned and snagged a form from Gallus’ claw before taking off. Metamorphosis chuckled and followed her, waving to the princess before leaving with Ocellus.

“Daaad, did you really have to call me that?” Ocellus asked with a groan the minute they were out of earshot of the others. Metamorphosis smiled at her.

“Of course Ocellus, I thought you liked it.”

“I-I do, but… they didn’t even know you’re my dad yet!” Ocellus exclaimed, and Metamorphosis pulled her closer with a hoof.

“I know, but just humor your dad, okay? I can’t do it to Thorax and Pharynx in public because they’re leaders, and Pharynx would have my carapace if I tried.”

“Okay…” Ocellus glanced at the form, then back up at him with a slight smile. “You know, you could save us a lot of trouble and just sign this now-”

“Let’s go young lady, we can discuss your punishment when we’re back at the Hive.” Metamorphosis replied curtly, and Ocellus sighed.

“It was worth a shot.”

When the two arrived back at the Hive, Metamorphosis was pleased to find Thorax seemed much calmer now-and Pharynx seemed more awake. The two were with Apex in the throne room, Pharynx sunk low in a crouch that the nymph was trying to mimic.

“Dad! Ocellus!” Thorax scrambled up from his throne and rushed over. “Is everything okay?!”

“Everything’s fine Thorax.” Metamorphosis replied, as Ocellus stepped in front of him shyly. “Ocellus and her friends need to assist Twilight with something in Ponyville, and she was a bit overeager to get there quickly.”

“I-I need you to sign this permission slip, Thor…” Ocellus said, holding it out to him. Thorax took it and looked over the form.

“And don’t worry, she will be grounded for quite a bit until she has learned her lesson. Won’t you, bookbug?” Metamorphosis asked, and Ocellus nodded sheepishly.

“Well, alright then.” Thorax said, grabbing a quill from a small storage compartment by the throne and signing the form. “Here you go, Ocellus.”

“And here’s my signature.” Metamorphosis joined in, quickly taking the quill and signing his own name before giving the slip to Ocellus. “Don’t be gone too long though, or we’ll have to send Pharynx out to fetch you.”

“Oh, don’t! He’ll tease me in front of my friends!” Ocellus protested, and Pharynx chuckled, straightening up.

“In that case, please, stay out as late as you like.” Pharynx laughed, and Ocellus stuck her tongue out at him.

“Whatever Phar.” Ocellus hugged Metamorphosis around the neck, smiling at him. “I’ll be back as soon as I can, I promise. Bye, see you later, I love you dad!”

With that, Ocellus was gone. Metamorphosis chuckled and trotted over to Apex, picking up the nymph. He smiled as he looked in the direction Ocellus had gone. Metamorphosis decided he would wait for Ocellus, however long she took. She was his daughter, he wanted to be there for her.

----------------------------------------------

Ocellus trotted back into the Hive that evening. She made her way to her room, stopping when a voice called her name. Metamorphosis trotted up to her, smiling softly.

“How did things go?” he asked, and she smiled wearily.

“Great, but I’m exhausted. We fought for a good hour on how to go about our task, and then once we finally worked together, it took the remainder of the day to get things completed. On a related note, there’s now a big shiny crystal treehouse in the Everfree forest.” Ocellus said, and Metamorphosis chuckled.

“It sounds like you had a long day. I don’t suppose I could tempt you into staying up a little later via some warm tea and cookies?”

“Aww, did Pharynx throw a tea party again?” Ocellus asked jokingly, and Metamorphosis chuckled.

“Come on my silly bookbug, let’s go get some tea. You look like you could use something to relax with.”

“Alright dad. So… about my punishment…”

“You’re still grounded, Ocellus.”

“Dangit… alright… still love you dad.”

“I love you too, my clever bookbug.”

PreviousChapters Next