• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: An Approaching Doom

Author's Note:

Oops! I forgot it was time for an update, sorry, first week of school. Here you go, we're beginning to reach the final chapters. I hope you enjoy!

~Melody Song

“Papa Thorax, look, the ponies ‘re making i’ snow!” Apex said, pointing into the distance from the open throne room. Metamorphosis and Thorax looked over, seeing stormclouds over Canterlot.

“T-That looks kind of ominous…” Thorax said nervously, as Pharynx walked over. He stared out at the clouds.

“Okay, below ground evacuation protocol. Dad, Apex, you’re in charge of the nymphs, Thorax, help me get everyone into the lower levels.” Pharynx called, turning and heading out.

“Do you really think it’s that bad?” Metamorphosis asked.

“Knowing those ponies there’s a storm on the horizon, and I don’t like it.” Pharynx replied, then began calling out directions. “Retina! Protocol E-334, let’s go!”

“Good luck guys…” Thorax whispered, glancing out at Canterlot in the distance before joining Pharynx.

“Come on sweetie.” Meta murmured, picking Apex up and following the boys.

--------------------------------------------

“Is everyone accounted for?” Pharynx asked, and Retina nodded, checking the last couple changelings off on her list.

“Wait, Pharynx, Ocellus!” Thorax cried, running over.

“Oh crap.” Pharynx hissed, rushing out. “I’ll get her!”

“I’m coming too!” Thorax cried, Metamorphosis racing after them.

“Boys, it’s okay, we don’t even know if-”

“Dad! Thorax, Pharynx!” Ocellus rushed towards them, smacking headfirst into Pharynx and falling back. “Ow! Oh, there you are, where is everyone!?”

“Down in the lower levels, what’s happening?” Thorax asked

“The Legion of Doom is attacking!” Ocellus exclaimed.

“Who?” Pharynx asked.

“Discord screwed up and pretended to be Grogar and rallied Sombra, Tirek, Cozy Glow, and Chrysalis-”

“What?!” all three of the older changelings cried in unison.

“-Sombra’s gone but Cozy, Tirek, and Chrysalis are attacking and now my teachers are gone and I’m pretty sure Chrysalis captured Starlight, and the CMCs and my friends and I all went to get help!” Ocellus said in one breath. “So… help?”

“...Absolutely not, get down with the others.” Pharynx replied, shoving Ocellus down the hallway.

“But Pharynx, my friends are all counting on me!” Ocellus cried out.

“Ocellus, this could all be dangerous, I have to agree with Pharynx!” Thorax said.

“Dad, please…” Ocellus begged softly. Metamorphosis sighed and rubbed his temple.

“I-I don’t know…”

“Let me talk to the others, please!” Ocellus stepped back, raising her head.

“Alright, fine. Let’s go, quickly.” Metamorphosis said.

“Great, now we have to get them all back up to the throne room.” Pharynx muttered

“You don’t have to, they left when we did, I saw them.” Metamorphosis said, and Pharynx cursed.

“Does no one understand the importance of proper procedures?!” He cried, storming off.

---------------------------------------

“Don’t you all get it? For centuries we have been oppressed by Chrysalis, until Starlight Glimmer, Trixie Lulamoon, Discord, and you, Thorax, stepped up and made a difference! Since then we have still been treated differently, but we are different! The ponies have taught us how powerful love and the Magic of Friendship truly is! We can't let them stand alone! We're their friends! They need us! So it’s time for us to step up and show them how much we’ve learned, how much we’ve changed! We are ready to face our ex-Queen!” Ocellus shouted, and the changelings cheered loudly.

“...Well. I guess we’re doing this then.” Pharynx muttered, and Metamorphosis rubbed his back.

“It’s okay, Pharynx. I know you boys just don’t want to face Chrysalis again, but it’ll be okay.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him. “Just think… this time, you’ll be plotting against her this time. You never got to do that, and now you can.”

“Well… yeah… okay. Where do we go?” Pharynx asked Ocellus.

“The field near Mount Canterhorn and Ponyville. Let’s go!” Ocellus said, rushing off with a hoard of changelings behind her.

“Oh for the Hivemother’s sake-who’s the General here?!” Pharynx shouted, rushing after them.

“Dad, are you sure about this?” Thorax asked, scooping Apex into his hooves.

“In all honesty… no, but I do trust Ocellus and I trust Pharynx.” Metamorphosis kissed his grandson on the forehead. “Apex, you’re in charge of the nymphs, okay?”

“Yay!” Apex squirmed out of Thorax’s grip and trotted over to the crowd of confused nymphs.

“I hope this works…” Thorax sighed, and Metamorphosis followed him out, biting his lip.

“You and me both.”

------------------------------------

Soon, they arrived on the hilltop, finding a herd of other creatures waiting there for them.

“Who’s in charge here?” Pharynx asked, and Ember, Smolder, Tempest, Gallus, a hippogriff, Yona, the Wonderbolts captain, and a Kirin stepped forward. “Perfect. So where are Twilight and her friends, as I assume we’ve found them by now?”

“It’s only a matter of time, we found the villains looking at this field from Mount Canterhorn.” Tempest replied.

“We believe they are attempting to find a way to reach out to the Windigos.” the hippogriff added, clenching a claw.

“Alright, I suggest an ambush, they won’t know we’re here until it’s too late.” Pharynx suggested.

“Dragon style would be to rush in without thinking.” Ember retorted.

“I like this style better.” Gallus argued.

“Changeling style works better, all in favor?” the kirin asked, and they raised their hooves/claws.

“Come on, let’s go.” Pharynx said, leading them and their subjects into the undergrowth. Metamorphosis smiled softly.

“That’s my boy…” he whispered.

“I-I should go with them, shouldn’t I?” Thorax asked himself, before hurrying after the others, and Metamorphosis chuckled, following him.

“Okay, everyone clear on the plan?” Pharynx asked, and they all nodded.

“Hey, Meta?” Tempest asked, moving over to him. “Are you… okay? I mean, Chrysalis is one of the Legion.”

“I know, but I’m okay. I have to be strong for Thorax and Pharynx, this is definitely going to be hard on them.”

“And you.” Ember said, leaning against Tempest. “Come on, aren’t you guys supposed to support each other and share feelings and blah blah blah?”

“Get off me Ember.” Tempest replied, shoving her. Metamorphosis sighed.

“Girls, I know, but they need me to be strong more than I need to talk-”

“They’re here!” a small filly rushed into the bushes from where she’d been keeping watch. “They’re here and they’ve got Spike by his wings! Twilight and the others are about to kill themselves to save him!”

“Unicorns, now!” Tempest shouted, charging out of the bushes.

“Dragons, with me!” Ember yelled, her scepter igniting.

“Kirins, we ride!”

“Griffons, charge!”

“Hippogriffs, we fly!”

“Changelings, now!”

“Ponies, run!”

“Yaks go!”

Metamorphosis took a breath, and stepped out into the open beside the other leaders, just as a forcefield of magic went up, and the six ponies and one dragon were lifted behind it into safety. He glanced around at the other creatures charging into the fray instead. Metamorphosis closed his eyes, and in a flash of magic, became Starlight Glimmer, before charging down the hill.

PreviousChapters Next