• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32: Coping Mechanisms

Metamorphosis was playing with his grandson in Thorax’s room, while the alpha in question performed his usual duties. Apex was playing with he and Thorax’s wolf plushies, giggling. Metamorphosis smiled and nuzzled the nymph.

“Dad?” the door opened and Thorax walked in. “Have you seen Pharynx?”

“I thought he was with you.” Metamorphosis replied, standing up and leaving Apex to play.

“No, he and I were going over some of the patrol routes, but we finished up and Pharynx left. I need him to help me with this document about a trade deal but noling’s seen him.”

“It’s probably nothing to worry about Thorax. I’m sure Pharynx is just training.” Metamorphosis assured his son, but Thorax still looked nervous.

“But Clypto last saw him heading to the cafeteria, that’s nowhere near his favorite training spot…”

“I’m sure he’s somewhere nearby Thorax, don’t worry.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him. “How about I help you finish up that trade deal document and if Pharynx still hasn’t turned up by the time we’re done, we can look for him?”

“O-Okay dad… thanks.” Thorax hugged him, and Metamorphosis hugged back, smiling.

Metamorphosis waited for Thorax to put Apex down for a nap, then let him lead him to his office. The two sat down and began to work. Once they were done, Metamorphosis sighed and sat back.

“That was a lot more complicated than I remember.” he murmured, rubbing his temple.

“Well, we are on much better terms with everyone now, meaning there’s a lot more work…” Thorax sighed, nuzzling him. “Thanks for helping dad.”

“Of course my son.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him back. “Now, let’s see if we can find Pharynx.”

“Yeah… I hope he’s okay…” Thorax left the room, clearly nervous.

“I’m sure he’s fine, Thorax. What could he possibly be doing that’s so bad-”

Crash!

Metamorphosis and Thorax looked at each other, eyes wide. They raced towards the loud noise, where they could hear shouting.

“What’s going on?” Thorax asked as they arrived at the scene.

One of the chefs, Phalange, was shouting at a rather familiar lump of cyan.

“Pharynx!” Thorax ran over and pulled him up. “Phalange, what’s going on?”

“I found him in the storage room.” Phalange explained, glaring at Pharynx.

“What? Pharynx, what were you doing?” Thorax looked at his brother, who merely stifled a burp and leaned against him.

“Pharynx?” Metamorphosis walked over and lifted his head. “Is… Thorax, he’s drunk.”

“He’s what?!”

“It looks like he cost us almost a whole case of Hard Cider.” Phalange spat, glaring at the beta changeling. “You need to keep a better eye on that old drunkard veteran.”

Metamorphosis stomped the floor in front of Phalange, making him jump. He glared at the chef.

“My son is not a drunkard, nor is he much older than you. I will not let you call him that again. He’s a wonderful changeling and this is just a misunderstanding. I’ll talk to him when he sobers up, and you will apologize to him.”

Phalange snorted and turned around. “Oh like I was the only one…” he muttered before walking away. Metamorphosis raised his brow, then turned back to Pharynx.

“Phar?” Thorax nuzzled him.

“Come on Thorax, he needs to lie down.” Metamorphosis helped Thorax lift Pharynx up, and they carried him back to his room.

After laying Pharynx in bed, Metamorphosis laid beside him, and Thorax joined him, nestling close. Pharynx passed out, leaning against his father. Thorax lay next to his brother, nuzzling him gently. They stayed with the beta changeling as he slept.

Soon enough, Pharynx woke up. He groaned and rubbed his pounding head, gagging.

“What the-” Pharynx gagged, then felt something being held up to his mouth.

“Drink.” Metamorphosis’ voice commanded, and Pharynx swallowed as best as he could.

“Dad…? What was that?” Pharynx asked, his vision clearing as he felt the headache lessen slightly.

“A serum from the infirmary. It should help your hangover.” Metamorphosis replied, voice stern.

“O-Oh… you…?”

“Yes, we know.”

“Shit… wait, we?” Pharynx rubbed his eyes, looking up. Both Thorax and Metamorphosis were standing above him. “Oh…”

“Well, Pharynx? Would you like to explain to us what you were thinking?” Metamorphosis asked

“I…” Pharynx rubbed his head. “I didn’t mean to get so drunk, I just… I-I couldn’t stop…”

“But why did you even start?!” Thorax exclaimed, and Pharynx winced. “Really Phar, why?”

Metamorphosis looked at him sternly. Pharynx bit his bottom lip and looked down.

“Thorax is right Pharynx, why would you do something like this? How long have you been drinking?” Metamorphosis asked.

“...This was my first time…” Pharynx told him hoarsely. “I’ve only tasted alcohol once before, while infiltrating a Canterlot party… I-I didn’t know it could be so…”

“Addictive? Yes.” Metamorphosis glared at him. “But you still haven’t answered the question. Why would you do this?”

Pharynx lowered his head and closed his eyes. Metamorphosis and Thorax continued talking.

“You know, that was completely irresponsible of you, Pharynx. Drunk in the middle of the day, it’s not a good thing. You can’t just go off and get drunk because you feel like it.” Thorax began.

“Shut the buck up Thorax…” Pharynx muttered, burying his head into the pillow.

Pharynx Ray Elytron!” Metamorphosis snapped, and Pharynx’s eyes shot open.

“Y-You know my…?”

“Of course I know your full name, Chrysalis had records made of you two when you hatched, and I saw them when I returned.” Metamorphosis snapped. “But that’s not the point! Why in the name of Equestria would you do something like this?!”

Pharynx began tearing up, but Metamorphosis didn’t notice.

“I want an answer, Pharynx, now. Why would you ever think drinking was a good ide-”

Because it’s the only way I can cope with all those stupid insults!” Pharynx finally shouted, sitting up, though it made his head spin.

Thorax and Metamorphosis stepped back in surprise. Pharynx gripped his head, cursing under his breath.

“W-What insults?” Thorax asked.

“You seriously don’t hear them talking?” Pharynx spat, glaring at them. “Oculus and Pupae weren’t the only ones who didn’t like me.”

“What do you-?”

“My soldiers hate how hard I train them, and they complain about it when they think I’m not paying attention. Most of the others say behind my back that I leave negative feelings in their mouths whenever I walk by, making them want to vomit. They even blame me for Oculus and Pupae's...” Pharynx trailed off and looked down at the ground. “Pretty much everyone blames me for that... pretty much everyone calls me a bitter, worthless, heartless old drunkard veteran… I might as well be that…”

Pharynx’s ears drooped and he lowered his head. Metamorphosis could see tears dripping down his eldest son’s face and his eyes went wide. Now Phalange’s words made sense. He really wasn’t the first to say cruel things about Pharynx, and the general had picked up on it. Whether outright making him aware was their intention or not, it was clear Pharynx wasn’t taking it well.

“Pharynx…” Metamorphosis stepped forward and hugged him. “You aren’t old and you certainly aren’t worthless. You train your soldiers the way you do because you want them to be at their best, I know that.”

“And you don’t leave negative feelings anywhere. You hide it, but you care, Pharynx.” Thorax trotted closer and nuzzled him. “Those kinds of feelings wouldn’t make anyone sick.”

Metamorphosis lifted his son’s chin and looked him in the eye. “I understand you’re having a hard time, and Thorax and I will do our best to put a stop to it. But drinking away your pain is never the right answer.”

Pharynx sighed and looked down. “I-I know…”

“Will you promise me you won’t try something like this again?”

“I-I promise dad…”

“Thank you my son.” Metamorphosis kissed his forehead gently, doing his best to share some love with his eldest son. “And I can tell you’re paying for it, that will be your lesson learned.”

“Okay dad…” Pharynx leaned against him. Metamorphosis hugged him gently.

“Now, we have a bit more of that serum to help with your hangover, I want you to take that, then try to rest, okay?”

Pharynx nodded, and Thorax levitated the serum over. Pharynx drank the rest of it, then sighed and laid down in bed. Thorax and Metamorphosis laid down beside him, and he blinked in confusion.

“What are you…?”

“Like we’re going to let you sleep this off alone.” Thorax nuzzled him gently.

“Thorax is right. We’re staying here with you Pharynx.” Metamorphosis promised, letting Pharynx lean on him.

Pharynx smiled and closed his eyes, resting between his brother and father. He soon fell asleep, the headache he had now no more than a dull throb. Metamorphosis held him close, knowing his son had learned his lesson, and mentally planning out a couple very stern warnings to his fellow changelings.

PreviousChapters Next