• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 7: Cadence and Shining

Metamorphosis had chosen the pegasus as his disguise again. Thorax and Pharynx hadn’t minded, and he knew his true form should be something kept unknown to the general public for the time being. They were walking into the Crystal Empire.

“So this has been gone for thousands of years?”

“Yes.” Thorax smiled. “But apparently the crystal ponies have been easily and quickly integrating into the rest of Equestrian society.”

Pharynx rolled his eyes at Thorax. “He also enjoys talking it up because it’s his second home.”

Thorax blushed. “Well, these are the ponies that allowed me to stay with them when I left the Hive. Shining and Cadence treated me like family and looked after me, I could never repay them for that.”

Metamorphosis smiled, recalling the stories Thorax had told him. How this Princess Cadence and her husband Prince Shining Armor had granted Thorax asylum, taking him in and letting him live in the castle with them while treating him as a part of the family. Somehow, some way, Metamorphosis would repay them for their generosity and kindness to his son.

The three changelings approached the large castle. A pair of guards approached them.

“Who goes there?” one of them asked

“King Thorax, I’m here to see Shining and Cadence.”

“Thorax!”

A pink coated alicorn with a mane striped in pink, purple, and yellow trotted up. She was followed by a unicorn stallion with a white coat and multi shaded blue mane. Thorax beamed as he saw them.

“Cadence! Shining!” he trotted forwards to give them both hugs.

“It’s so wonderful to see you again Thorax.” Princess Cadence nuzzled him.

“Heh, yeah, but what are you doing here?” Shining Armor asked

“I wanted to surprise you.” Thorax smiled as Pharynx trotted over, followed by Metamorphosis, who was still in disguise. “You’ve met my brother before, right?”

“On occasion.” Cadence nodded, smiling at Pharynx, then noticing Metamorphosis. “But, who is this pegasus?”

“About that… could we maybe go to the throne room?”

“Oh, of course.”

Cadence and Shining Armor led them into the throne room. Waiting for them was another unicorn, this one with a yellow coat with white splotches, and an orange mane. He carried a bassinet in his magic.

“Sunburst, hi!” Thorax called

“Thorax?” the unicorn, Sunburst, adjusted his glasses. “I didn’t know you’d be visiting today.”

Thorax smiled sheepishly. “It was supposed to be a surprise visit. So, where’s Flurry?”

Sunburst smiled and tilted the bassinet towards them. A small alicorn filly poked her head out.

“Tora!” the filly reached out her hooves, babbling.

“Heh, hello Flurry.” Thorax leaned down to nuzzle her, then straightened back up.

“Heh, so…” Shining prompted as he and Cadence went to their daughter.

Thorax nodded, then beckoned to Pharynx and Metamorphosis. As they joined him, he took a breath.

“Shining, Cadence, a little while ago, Pharynx and I left the Hive to search for our father.”

“Your father?” Cadence blinked.

Thorax nodded. “I’m not sure if you remember me telling you this, but Pharynx and I’s mother was Chrysalis.”

“Yes, I do remember.” Cadence nodded. “Though… I must say I’m surprised she fell in love with someone.”

“Heh, well, she did.” Thorax chuckled. Cadence looked down at Metamorphosis.

“So, is that why this pegasus is here?”

“Not quite… he’s not a pegasus.” Thorax smiled down at Metamorphosis. “We’re alone now, you know. You can change back.”

Metamorphosis nodded. In a flash, he stood at his usual height. Cadence, Shining Armor, and Sunburst all backed up slightly.

“This is Metamorphosis, our father.” Thorax explained

“Thorax, he’s-” Shining began to say, but Pharynx cut him off.

“He’s unable to transform, but believe me, he’s identical to Thorax in personality.”

“Hey!” Thorax said, glaring at him.

“What? It was a compliment. In this case, anyway.”

“Pharynx…” Metamorphosis spoke, glaring at him.

Pharynx shrugged, unconcerned. Metamorphosis and Thorax gave each other knowing looks. Cadence giggled softly.

“I believe I see what Pharynx meant.”

“That’s the irony, he looks like I used to and acts like Thorax does all the time.” Pharynx chuckled

“So, Metamorphosis, right?” Shining trotted closer to him. “You were Chrysalis’ mate?”

“Yes.” Metamorphosis nodded. “I was picked by her to be her advisor, and we ended up becoming much more to each other.”

Cadence giggled. “I can’t believe I’m saying this about Chrysalis, but that’s very romantic.”

Shining looked at her and she blinked innocently. Metamorphosis chuckled.

“Yes, Chrissy didn’t often display signs of affection, but she always did for me.” he said

“Chrissy? Oh, that’s adorable.” Cadence said

Metamorphosis blushed, nodding. “Yes, I suppose it is…”

“I do wonder why you look different.” Cadence said

“No one knows, I’m afraid.” Metamorphosis replied. "Though Princess Twilight believes it has something to do with the unusual genetics that made me look like this."

“Well, either way, it’s lovely to meet you, Metamorphosis.” Cadence smiled

Metamorphosis nodded, then offered a bow. Cadence looked startled, and Thorax and Pharynx glanced at their father in confusion.

“Your highnesses, I am more than aware of the fact that you were kind enough to grant Thorax asylum while he was away from the Hive. I doubt I will ever be able to repay your kindness to a species you had once known as the enemy. But I still wish to pay back what you did for my son in any way possible.” he said

“Oh, you don’t have to repay us, Metamorphosis.” Cadence smiled as Metamorphosis straightened back up. “We have come to know Thorax as family, one of our own. And family should never have to pay for things like that.”

Metamorphosis bowed his head. “Then I merely offer my thanks and undying gratitude.”

Cadence nodded. “I would accept nothing more.”

Thorax stepped forward, trying to change subjects. “Dad will be helping Pharynx and I with ruling the kingdom. Seeing as he’s had experience doing so before he’d be a great help.”

“Ah, speaking of which,” Cadence lit up her horn and a scroll appeared. “Aunt Celestia was going to have this sent to the Hive with her magic, but she’s been very busy and asked me to send it instead. I suppose I should just give it to you now.”

“Oh, thanks Cadence.” Thorax took the scroll and opened it. “It’s an invitation?”

“Yes. Aunt Celestia figured it was about time for all the kingdom’s leaders, new and old ones alike, to meet face to face instead of one on one.” Cadence explained

“New and old?” Metamorphosis questioned.

“Many of the kingdoms have new leaders. Ember, Thorax, and myself, for instance. While others, like Queen Novo of the hippogriffs and Prince Rutherford of the yaks, have been in charge for longer than us.” Cadence explained

Thorax nodded. “Yes, it seems like the meeting’s supposed to be next week.”

“Yes, Aunt Celestia said she hoped to see you there.”

“Heh, we’ll be there.” Thorax looked at Metamorphosis. “Dad, do you think you should come? Or would you be more comfortable staying at the Hive and looking after things there?”

Metamorphosis took a breath. “I believe I should go with you. I’m tired of hiding from others, and I am ready to reveal myself to the other kingdoms.”

“Alright then dad.” Thorax smiled at him, and he smiled back. Thorax then looked to Cadence and Shining. “Sorry to leave so soon, but Pharynx and I will have a lot of things to take care of if we want to be able to come to this meeting next week.”

“Oh, it’s perfectly alright Thorax, we understand.” Cadence gave him a hug. “Though I do hope next time you’ll be able to stay a little longer. Maybe during a Crystal Fair? I know Flurry would love to spend time with her favorite foalsitter.”

Thorax chuckled. “Alright, I’ll see if I can find some time.”

After saying goodbye to Cadence and Shining, the three changelings headed back out into the streets of the Empire. Metamorphosis was using his pegasus disguise again, but dropped it once they’d entered a private car of the train.

As they got settled, Pharynx yawned and leaned against Thorax. Thorax smiled and stroked his brother’s head, watching as he fell asleep.

“Thorax?” Metamorphosis murmured, after assuring Pharynx had fallen asleep.

“Yes dad?”

“I thought I should tell you… when we returned from Ponyville, that night, Pharynx had a nightmare once you’d left.”

“Oh… oh no, I didn’t mean to leave, I had work and I must’ve fallen asleep-”

“It’s alright.” Metamorphosis assured him. “I calmed him down. But these nightmares… they happen often, don’t they?”

Thorax sighed. “I’m not sure. Sometimes Pharynx will mention them the next morning, or he’ll sneak out of his room to come snuggle with me after he has one. But I have the feeling he gets them more often than he lets on.”

Metamorphosis frowned. “It doesn’t seem like he’s moved on from what they used to say about him.”

Thorax shook his head. “No, it doesn’t.”

“I think we need to talk to him about them.”

“I agree.” Thorax nuzzled Metamorphosis. “Thanks for telling me dad.”

“Of course Thorax.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him back. “I will always look out for my boys.”

Thorax smiled and pulled Pharynx closer, then leaned against Metamorphosis. He yawned and cuddled against his father, and Metamorphosis wrapped his hooves around Thorax. He watched over his sons as they slept, smiling.

PreviousChapters Next