• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Preparations and Ponderings

Metamorphosis smiled as he walked down the hallway. It was nearing the festival Thorax called Hearth’s Warming, and because of this, his son asked him to oversee some of the decorating in the east wing. He looked around and smiled at the changelings.

“Dajia, good job with that… what was it… right, tinsel. Oh, Nox, could you help Nix adjust that reath? Or was it wreath…?” Metamorphosis continued to debate with himself over the terms in a low voice. This was all as new to him as to the others.

As Metamorphosis wandered through the east wing, he came across two changelings in particular. Pupae and Oculus, mates who he knew more officially as Ocellus’ parents.

Metamorphosis had learned from Pharynx that both were… struggling to adapt. They had accepted the new way of life, certainly. However, Thorax had needed assertiveness lessons from Ember to convince them, among others, to change.

All in all, from what Metamorphosis had gathered, Oculus and Pupae seemed to be like Pharynx, but with an even more guard-focused mindset. They believed that even Pharynx was too soft after his transformation. They constantly refused to show up to training because of this, and believed a lack of outer, offense-centered strategies would end badly for the Hive.

“After what happened with Pharynx’s nightmares from Chrysalis, I’m almost inclined to agree with them…” Metamorphosis thought as he trotted up to them, but dismissed this. They greeted him with polite smiles.

“Metamorphosis!” Pupae called cheerfully. “How’s this for popcorn strings?”

Metamorphosis examined them and gave a small nod. “Wonderful, Pupae, Oculus, thank you.”

Oculus nodded curtly. “It was a simple task, Metamorphosis. But Pupae and I wonder if this time could be better used?”

“Here we go again…” years of ruling beside Chrysalis ensured Metamorphosis kept a straight face. “What did you have in mind?”

“Well, we were thinking…” Pupae stepped forwards. “Seeing as Ocellus is attending a school in Ponyville, that implies a reliable travel will need to be arranged from the Hive to the town.”

“Like a train.” Metamorphosis suggested

“I’d advise against that.” Oculus spoke up. “A train to our direct location could provide an easy way for an enemy to sneak in if left unguarded. And as Pharynx is clearly too weak to think of this-”

“My son is a capable and intelligent changeling.” Metamorphosis cut in, his red tail lashing slightly. “I’m sure he has considered this already and discussed it with his brother.”

“Oculus and I mean no offense to your family Metamorphosis.” Pupae said, blinking up at him. “But honestly, our Ocellus is able to beat him in a chess match, so really, how smart can he be?”

Metamorphosis glared at her. “Do not judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, or it will live its whole life believing it is stupid. That is the kind of mindset you should have with any of your fellow changelings, or even with other creatures. Just because Pharynx lacks skill on a chessboard, it does not mean he lacks skill on a battlefield. Am I understood?”

“Y-Yes Metamorphosis…” Pupae said, stepping back, though Metamorphosis still detected some lingering doubt of his words. He chose to ignore this and made to leave.

“You should go check on your other nymphs.” he said, referring to Ocellus’ younger siblings, who were nursery-aged. “Don’t worry about the train matters for the moment. Besides, Thorax tells me there’s a pony town nearby whose mayor has offered his hoof in friendship. They probably will have some opinions on a train stop.”

With that, Metamorphosis headed off, unaware of the looks that Oculus and Pupae exchanged behind him. They were not looks of content from this new information.

Metamorphosis continued on down the hall, shaking off some of his previous frustration at the couple. He instead looked around the halls, and smiled softly. He remembered running through these halls as a nymph, playing with only his imagination and pretend friends he made for himself. He was lonely as a nymph, but never unhappy for long with his mind to entertain him.

Of course, the halls back then had been ever shifting and changing like them-great for hide and tag, but not when your only companion was friends in your mind. They had also been dark, some lit with the occasionally glowing slime.

Now the corridors were still, no longer remolding themselves after Chrysalis’ throne was destroyed. And the places not bathed in the sun’s glow were lit brightly with lanterns containing fireflies, natural light from insects who were released every night to darken the Hive, then would instinctively return to the lanterns the next day.

Metamorphosis chuckled as he reached an empty hallway, free of the bustling and busy changelings as they prepared for the new winter tradition. He sat down in the hallway, looking around. It was a hallway near the nursery, and he remembered playing in it as a nymph.

Back then, the nursery was not the moss-covered, safe and secure place Thorax had turned it into. It was cold and empty, but for tussling nymphs who fought each other for fun, occasionally drawing blood. Thorax had perhaps envisioned what he had wanted his own nymph-hood to be like for the new layout of the nursery.

“So many things I missed out on…” Metamorphosis whispered, lying on his stomach and resting his head between his forelegs. “If I’d stayed… I’d have seen them… guided my sons as nymphs so they’d discover much sooner what we could become.”

As Metamorphosis closed his eyes, he heard a giggle. He opened his eyes and sat up, startled.

A young nymph was toddling past. But it was unreformed. Metamorphosis gasped softly as he recognized the teal carapace and wide, blue eyes. The nymph looked around the hallway in wonder, and Metamorphosis too, noticed it was now shifting and moving again. He looked back at the nymph.

“Th-Thorax…?”

As he murmured it, another unreformed nymph came up. He boasted a red frill on his neck and a short red tail, with purple wings and a jagged violet carapace. He trotted sharply, like a soldier, and gazed at the first nymph with slitted lavender eyes.

“B-But… no, it can’t be…” Metamorphosis breathed

“It’s so big Pharynx!” the first nymph exclaimed

Author's Note:

I meant to have the Hearth's Warming Arc out during the Christmas season, but January is better than nothing. Hope you enjoy!

~Melody Song

PreviousChapters Next