• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 47: No One Knows Me

Thorax pranced along behind Pharynx, and Metamorphosis chuckled, following the two eager royals. Thorax hummed under his breath, and Pharynx rolled his eyes.

“So Pharynx, what did you have in mind?”

“We’re going to go explore a cave system that Ember’s mentioned before, apparently it connects the Dragon Lands with our territory.”

“Really?” Metamorphosis glanced at Thorax, who shrugged.

“I thought it might be better to just get it out of the way now, plus I've never seen the inside before.” Thorax explained. Pharynx gave him a look, and he chuckled nervously. “Besides, we only have about a day to do what we’d like before we have to go relieve Ocellus. And…”

“Don’t sing don't sing don’t sing don’t sing-”

“-There’s a lot of little things to try in the world!”

“Damnit!”

“There’s a lot of little things we’ve got to do!” Thorax added, beaming at Pharynx, who groaned. “Just a bunch of exciting things other creatures try, that royal duties have made us pass by!”

“Thoraxxxx…”

“Come on Phar, sing something!”

“No.”

“Humor your brother please, Pharynx?” Metamorphosis urged, and Pharynx sighed.

“No one knows me like my little brother?” he tried, and Thorax beamed, hugging him and picking up the line.

“No one is a better confidant!” Thorax cheered, and Pharynx groaned, but joined in.

“No one is truer than my brother, no one else here that I could want.” they sang together, and Metamorphosis giggled, following the two along the path.

“You can’t go off on a vacation hidden in the Hive’s walls-” Pharynx began

“And you can’t throw your crown off at a beach!”

“You don’t have a crown-” Pharynx started

“So we’re going along with some relaxation!” Thorax sang loudly, hugging Pharynx and Metamorphosis. Pharynx rolled his eyes as Thorax dragged them off. “This list of things to help us along!”

The three changelings soon made it to the entrance of the caves, and Pharynx pulled some hard hats out of his bag, grinning as Thorax and Metamorphosis took one each. Metamorphosis chuckled and gestured for Pharynx to lead the way.

“Aww, look!” Thorax exclaimed, pointing at some bats hanging from the ceiling. They had gotten a little ways into the cave, and Thorax opened his wings, flying over for a better look.

“Dad, Thorax, this way!” Pharynx called out, a little ways ahead of them. The bats screeched and flew off, and Thorax sighed in disappointment, landing beside Metamorphosis.

“It’s alright Thorax, I’m sure we’ll see more.” Metamorphosis said, and Thorax nodded. He murmured under his breath.

“No one knows me like my older brother… no one is a better confidant…”

After they got out of the caves, it was Thorax’s turn. They took a train to Manehatten, as Thorax wanted to go sightseeing. Metamorphosis chuckled as Thorax trotted around, looking at all the shops. Pharynx feigned boredom, before spotting something and rushing off. Thorax and Metamorphosis noticed and followed him, finding the beta changeling staring through a shop window at a colorful array of dresses. The two bigger changelings chuckled and hugged him as he blushed sheepishly.

“No one is truer than my brother, no one else here that I could want!” The twins sang together, laughing. Metamorphosis smiled, happy his sons were having fun. “There’s a lot of little things to try in the world! So many different things we have to see!”

They were wandering through some fields by a town, and Thorax sighed, stopping.

“But sitting and resting our hooves, seems pretty nice to me.” Thorax countered, pulling out a book and sitting down by a stream, as Metamorphosis joined him.

“No way, come on, there’s a rollercoaster nearby, I have to conquer it!” Pharynx objected, and Thorax sighed.

“But Pharynx-”

“Come on, it’s my turn!” Pharynx insisted, and Thorax groaned, getting up. Metamorphosis glanced between them in concern, following the two off to the rollercoaster.

“No one knows you like your brother! No one is a better confidant!” Thorax and Pharynx sang as one as they got off the roller coaster. Metamorphosis had elected to stay on the ground and watch their bags. “No one is truer than my brother, no one else here that I could want!”

After Thorax caught his breath from the roller coaster, he checked over the list and eagerly teleported all three of them to Canterlot, then dragged Pharynx off. Metamorphosis followed them quickly, noticing Pharynx looked very bored as Thorax led them on a stroll through the Canterlot Gardens. Metamorphosis bit his lip, thinking of a way to help the two compromise.

“You can’t go on an adventure if you’re taking a nap. You know this checklist won’t check itself off!” Pharynx sang stubbornly as he snatched the list, grinning and leading them along the path down the mountain. “Come on, what’s another hill?”

“You know, sometimes you can be a pill, and why does the way forward always have to be steep!” Thorax exclaimed as they flew down the mountain, slipping as they landed and collapsing onto his stomach. Metamorphosis sat by him, rubbing his back and glancing at Pharynx, who hadn't seen his brother fall.

------------------------------

“I dunno what Thorax and Pharynx were complaining about, this seems pretty easy!” Smolder said, lounging in Thorax’s throne., chewing on some gems she'd found in the kitchen

“Yeah, plus Apex is adorable!” Silverstream squeed from where she was curled up on the floor, the nymph in question asleep under her wing.

“Your highnesses!” a drone wearing military armor burst in, followed by a powder blue and green male. The two froze when they saw the creatures before them. “Oh… u-um…”

“Retina? Tibius? What’s wrong?” Ocellus asked, trotting over to the changeling female.

“G-General Pharynx never showed up to train the recruits.” Retina replied

“He and King Thorax were also supposed to go over the new schedules for the activities with me, so the training and potluck lunches don’t clash.” Tibius added, levitating a scroll over to Ocellus.

“Well, um, my friends and I are filling in for them today, maybe we can help.” Gallus said, walking over.

“Well, I’d be happy to help!” Tibius suggested cheerfully. “Cornicle, Fema, Sillia, and I would be glad to do anything you need.”

“As would I, General Pharynx has entrusted the guidance of the army to me before.” Retina agreed

“Thank you guys, but I think we’ve got everything covered.” Ocellus said calmly, and the two changelings looked at each other before shrugging and leaving.

“Ocellus, what was that for? They could’ve been helpful.” Sandbar said.

“My brothers put me in charge, and if I ask for help, it’ll just prove I’m not as good at this as they are. Plus Pharynx would never let me hear the end of it.” Ocellus replied, and Gallus blinked.

“Okay, at some point you’re gonna have to explain more on this whole ‘them adopting you’ thing, you’ve kind of been avoiding the subject-”

“Anyway! It can’t be that difficult. So what’s on that list?” Ocellus asked, changing the subject and Silverstream shot over, taking the scroll from Gallus’ claw. Apex squeaked in alarm at the movement and Ocellus picked him up.

“Um… we have to… organize the guard patrols, cross-refer that with the activities schedule, make the activities schedule, check on the preparations for lunch and dinner, order supplies for the nursery and the infirmary, be present for the next Feelings Forum, moderate the daily open grievances consul-” Silverstream broke off when she saw the looks the others were giving her, chuckling nervously. “Should, uh, I keep reading…?”

The five creatures all turned to glare at Ocellus, who giggled sheepishly. “Maybe it’s a… tiny bit harder than I thought…?”

---------------------------------------

“Pharynx? D-Do you think that since we’re all getting a little tired, the next activity shouldn’t be as… wild?” Thorax suggested.

“You know what? You’ve got a point.” Pharynx said, and Metamorphosis smiled hopefully, as did Thorax. “Zip lining!”

Thorax yelped and clung to Metamorphosis. “Do you think I can stay on the ground with dad this time?”

“Not if you want to get left behind.” Pharynx chuckled, grabbing his stuff and leading them off.

After the zip lining, Thorax leaned against his father for support, the two having both gone down the zip line with Pharynx. Metamorphosis sighed wearily and glanced at Pharynx, who looked very excited.

"Well... he's having fun, at least. That's what's important, right Thorax?" Metamorphosis looked at his youngest son. Thorax sighed and walked over to him.

“So, um, now that we’ve done that… it’s my turn to pick something.” Thorax said, tugging the list from Pharynx’s hooves. “Come on.”

“Fine, but it better be as exciting as my activities.” Pharynx muttered, and Thorax beamed, while Metamorphosis looked on, worried.

------------------------------------

“...Thorax, this is the most boring place ever.” Pharynx said bluntly.

“No it’s not!” Thorax said excitedly.

They were walking through the Crystal Gardens in the Crystal Empire, and Pharynx looked miserable. Thorax was fascinated with the crystal plants, especially the ones that were sparkling-which was most of them. Metamorphosis walked in between where Pharynx and Thorax were wandering, making sure they didn’t get lost.

“Yes it is.”

“But they’re all so sparkly!” Thorax marveled, staring into the crystal rose that was closest to him. Pharynx groaned and grabbed the scroll again.

“Aha! Found something actually fun, come on!”

Thorax sighed and allowed Pharynx to lead them out of the gardens. Metamorphosis stuck by Thorax’s side as Pharynx led them to Ponyville, or rather, the gorge near it.

“Only the most daring of ponies ever attempt to go through the Ghastly Gorge, and only the best ever make it out.” Pharynx chuckled darkly, as a large eel-like creature came out of a hole in the side of the gorge and hissed threateningly.

“I wonder why…” Thorax muttered, grabbing the list back. “Come on Pharynx, let’s do something less life-threatening! Like… ooh, we can go to the spa! Come on, you can pick out a dress!”

“I already did, back in Manehattan.” Pharynx retorted, blushing. “Come on Thorax, it’s my turn, I should get to pick something!”

“But I’ve always wanted to try a makeover!”

“We’re changelings! Just turn into a pony!”

“Boys, please. Come on, let’s just calm down and think.” Metamorphosis stepped between them, then took the list and looked over it. “You both agreed on going to the beach, how about we try that?”

“Fine.” they said as one, glaring at each other. Metamorphosis rolled up the scroll and smiled at the two half-heartedly, leading them off.

“There’s a lot of little things to try in the world.” Thorax sang softly as they arrived at the beach.

“A lot of little things you should see!” Pharynx cried as he shoved his brother off a rocky cliff, where ponies jumped into the ocean water below. He cheered as he dove in after Thorax, landing with a splash while Thorax swam back to shore.

“I think maybe our list is just a little bit long…” Thorax said, shaking his head. “It’s a lot of trouble to get through.”

“I’m sure it will get better later on.” Pharynx insisted to himself as Thorax hunted for shells and rock pools on the beach. “And after the dullest day will come a bright night…”

Pharynx grabbed the list from Metamorphosis’ bag when he wasn’t looking, scanning it.

“It’s my turn to pick what we’re doing!” Thorax protested

“Well, I want to try this cliff diving thing!” Pharynx objected, and Thorax huffed, grabbing the scroll in his magic. Pharynx grabbed back and the two began tugging it back and forth.

Metamorphosis had transformed into a pony and approached an ice cream stall, buying three different cones. He smiled and transformed back when he got closer to where he had left the boys, only to freeze when he saw them fighting again.

“You know, this adventure isn’t too fun to be on with you!” they both shouted as one, glaring at each other.

Thorax and Pharynx both fell backwards into the sand as the scroll finally ripped in half. They turned away from each other and stormed off. Metamorphosis sighed and he lost his grip on the ice cream cones, letting them fall into the sand.

PreviousChapters Next