• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Act 3 Chapter 24: Troubles Stir

Author's Note:

Welcome to Act Three! I would like to take this author's note to mention that this act covers some topics that may be sensitive to some people. I'll put warnings above the chapters that might involve this. Don't worry, this chapter is clear (in my opinion) read on!

~Melody Song

Act Three
Chapter 24: Troubles Stir

It had been a few months, and it was now late spring. Ocellus had returned to school, and would be coming home in a few more months for summer break. Metamorphosis was sitting beside Thorax’s throne, talking with his youngest son. Thorax kept pausing to smile and wave at passing changelings, but Metamorphosis didn’t mind. Then, his ears pricked. Arguing.

“Thorax, do you hear-”

“For the last time, no!” Pharynx’s raised voice entered the room. “I don’t need to hear any more of your dumb ideas, Oculus! Now get lost!”

Thorax and Metamorphosis sighed, watching the door in anticipation. Pharynx stormed in, Oculus and Pupae behind him.

“Thorax, help me out here!”

“Running to your little brother for help? I thought you were better than that.” Pupae said

Pharynx whipped around and snarled, lowering himself into a battle stance. “I’m asking him to help me deal with you two because he’s the King. And if you’re not going to listen to me, your prince, then I might as well get Thorax to stop you.”

“Calm down Pharynx.” Thorax urged, and he huffed, stalking over to stand opposite Metamorphosis. “Now, Oculus, Pupae, what is it?”

“Your majesty, is the information we’ve heard correct that there is a town on the outskirts of the Hive?” Oculus asked

“Yes, it’s called Asutora.” Thorax said, face scrunching in confusion at the question. “Why?”

“That pony town is a bit too close for comfort, don’t you think?” Pupae said

“What? No.” Thorax rose. “Of course not. We’re close allies of the Equestrians, and that town is no exception. Pharynx, dad, and I have even met their mayor before, Galectic Dust. He and his sister Sunrise Cinder, his advisor, are good, kind ponies.”

“But if we allow them to continue getting close to us, they could launch an attack!” Oculus protested

“What? They would never!” Thorax exclaimed

“You’re too naive, King Thorax, you need to learn to think!” Pupae hissed “Besides, we need to gain more territory for our next generation. Luckily, Oculus and I have been drawing up plans all winter, and we think we have an effective strategy.”

Metamorphosis’ eyes widened. “Is this why they’ve been neglecting their children? Attack strategies?”

“Alright, enough.” Pharynx stalked forwards. “Those ponies are no threat, we have enough territory already, and attacking the town could cause them to lose trust in us.”

“I agree with my sons.” Metamorphosis added. “There’s no need to take any action at the moment.”

“Yes. Now go back to your little nymphs and don’t bring this up again.” Pharynx growled

Pupae huffed and turned, stalking away. Oculus turned his nose up at Pharynx and followed Pupae. Pharynx rolled his eyes.

“Glad that’s over.” Pharynx muttered

I’m glad Apex is in the nursery…” Thorax murmured, squeaking as Pharynx sent a glare at him.

“Still, they’re gone and they’re not going to bother us with that ridiculous plan again.”

“I wouldn’t be too sure, my son.” Metamorphosis said, watching the doors where Pupae and Oculus had left. “When a mind is unwaveringly set on one goal it cannot be easily dissuaded.”

“Whatever. As long as they’re not bothering me anymore.” Pharynx grunted. “Worse than a crack in the carapace… if you two need me I’ll be taking a shower.”

“Okay then Pharynx.” Thorax said dully as he left. Metamorphosis noticed Thorax looked a bit worn out.

“Thorax, how about you and I go spend some time with Apex and the other nymphs?” Metamorphosis suggested softly. “They love seeing you.”

“I guess… I haven’t been able to visit the nursery in a while…” Thorax brightened.

“Heheh, let’s go then.” Metamorphosis said, nuzzling his son.

When Thorax and Metamorphosis got to the nursery, they found many of them napping. Thorax smiled, picking his way carefully around a cluster of three little nymphs cuddled together, asleep. One of the nymphs was Apex, the others were two familiar unreformed ones a bit older than Apex. Thorax gently rubbed the heads of the nymphs in the small huddle before moving away, letting them nap.

“Papa Thorax!” Capillarie and Scorpia had spotted them. They were leading the nymph Metamorphosis had seen months before, Viorel. His friend was also beside them as they walked over to them.

“Heh, hello little ones.” Thorax said, lifting up Capillarie. “Where are your parents, you two?”

“They said they’d be back soon.” Capillarie replied, wrapping his forelegs around Thorax. “Will you play with us instead?”

“Yeah! Play Papa Thorax, play!” Scorpia added, bouncing up and down.

Metamorphosis chuckled, leaving Thorax to be surrounded by eager nymphs. He then lifted up Viorel and nuzzled him.

“Hello Viorel, do you remember me?”

“Mhm.” Viorel nuzzled him.

“Who’s your friend?” Metamorphosis asked, looking at the rosy pink colored nymph.

“O-Oleander.” Viorel replied, the other nymph waving.

“Heh, hello Oleander.” Metamorphosis picked him up as well. “Do you two want to play?”

“Okay!” Oleander said happily. Viorel smiled and nodded.

Metamorphosis set the two nymphs down, letting them run for a bit before following, trying to catch the younglings.

An hour or so later, Metamorphosis and Thorax were curled up in the soft moss of the nursery. They were surrounded by sleeping nymphs. Metamorphosis chuckled as he nuzzled Viorel, who was sleeping at his hooves. Thorax leaned against him.

“Heh, are you feeling a bit more relaxed?” Metamorphosis asked his son.

“Mhm… thanks dad… for suggesting this…” Thorax murmured, closing his eyes. Metamorphosis smiled and nuzzled him.

“Thorax!” Pharynx raced in, then noticed the nymphs surrounding the two.

“Pharynx? What’s wrong?” Metamorphosis asked, he and Thorax rising, careful not to disturb the nymphs.

“Galectic Dust and his sister are outside.” Pharynx whispered “They look mad.”

“Oh no… what do you think could be-” Thorax broke off when he saw the look on his brother’s face. “No… they wouldn’t…”

“They would.” Pharynx retorted

“Calm down you two, we don’t know for sure.” Metamorphosis stepped in. “Let’s just go see what Galectic wants.”

The two brothers looked over at their father, then nodded. They headed out of the nursery, Thorax leading the way. They exited the Hive, seeing the two ponies. Galectic Dust was a unicorn with a gray coat, purple-blue mane and deep purple eyes. His sister, Sunrise Cinder, was standing beside him. She was a unicorn with a white coat, a mane striped in purple, orange, and yellow, as well as the same dark purple eyes as her brother. Galectic looked mad, while Sunrise seemed afraid.

“King Thorax.” Galectic stalked towards him with an angry glare. “Would you care to explain why two of your subjects just tried to attack us?”

PreviousChapters Next