• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,730 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,730

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45: Pay It Forward

Author's Note:

Sorry I couldn't publish this last week! I was super busy all day and it slipped my mind! Here you go!

~Melody Song

A few months later, Metamorphosis yawned as he sat up in bed. He glanced out the window, noticing how it was still early morning. The sun was barely up yet, and he sighed. Lately he had been going to bed later and waking up earlier in order to help out in the kitchens. He really enjoyed baking, but baking in order to feed an entire Hive breakfast was a lot of work. Metamorphosis didn’t mind too much, he found it took his mind off of worrying over how Ocellus was doing in school.

As Metamorphosis stood up, he found he felt a little unsteady. He yawned again and rubbed his eyes, heading to the bathroom to wash his face. After he finished and brushed his mane a little, he still felt exhausted. He yawned, heading for the kitchens, where Labrum was already prepping everything.

“Morning Metamorphosis.” Labrum greeted, and he smiled at her slightly. “You okay?”

“O-Oh, I’m fine. I just don’t know how you do it, getting up so early every single day…” Metamorphosis yawned, and Labrum chuckled.

“You get used to it. Go ahead and start preparing the batter for the pancakes, please. Grubber will be here soon to start on the bacon.” Labrum instructed, and Metamorphosis nodded, yawning.

Metamorphosis stayed in the kitchen with the chefs, helping to make the biscuits and waffles. He preferred baking, as it relied on creativity and following a recipe, which he enjoyed. Soon enough, the food was sent out to the cafeteria to be served, and Metamorphosis got a break.

“Hey dad!” Thorax said cheerfully as he made his way over to Thorax and Pharynx. “A-Are you alright? You look tired.”

“I’m fine Thorax, I’m just not quite used to getting up as early as the chefs usually do.” Metamorphosis replied, and Pharynx blinked at him.

“Sure, but you should be alert by now. You look like you just woke up.” Pharynx remarked, and Metamorphosis rubbed his eyes.

“Well, I’ve been staying up a bit later than normal, and getting up earlier. My sleep schedule has been a little disrupted lately.”

“I still think something’s wrong.” Pharynx muttered, digging into his waffle. Apex jumped down from his seat and trotted over to Metamorphosis, hopping up onto his lap and nuzzling him.

“Gran’pa Mety, how come you tas’e sou’?” Apex asked, sticking out his tongue in disgust.

“W-What do you mean?” Metamorphosis asked.

“You’ per’snal scen’ us’aly tas’es like bu’er bu’ now i’ tas’es like sou’ milk.” Apex said, making a face. Thorax glanced over at Metamorphosis worriedly.

“Dad…”

“I-I’m fine Thorax, I’m sure it’s just because I’m tired.” Metamorphosis reasoned, lifting Apex off of him and passing him back to Thorax.

“Alright dad, if you’re sure…” Thorax said hesitantly. “A-Aren’t you going to eat anything?”

“Oh, it’s okay Thorax, I’m not that hungry.” Metamorphosis assured him, smiling at his sons. “I’m going to go lie down for a bit, try to regain some of the sleep I lost from getting up early.”

“Good idea, see you later dad.” Thorax smiled back, as Apex and Pharynx playfully tugged back and forth on a piece of bacon Apex had snagged from Pharynx’s plate. Metamorphosis chuckled and smiled slightly, leaving the three changelings.

The unreformed changeling headed back to his room, yawning. He laid down in his bed the second he got back to his bedroom. Metamorphosis settled down and closed his eyes, falling asleep. After a while, he felt someling shaking him awake.

“Dad! Dad, wake up!” Pharynx called, and Metamorphosis groaned, opening his eyes and sitting up slightly.

“I’m up, I’m up… what’s wrong?”

“Tell Thorax that I’m the favorite.”

Metamorphosis groaned again and flopped back down onto the pillow. “I don’t have favorites… now let me sleep…”

“Are you sure everything’s okay dad? You sound like Pharynx when I try to wake him up before nine.” Thorax said nervously.

“I’m fine… ‘m just tired…” Metamorphosis grunted, yawning. Thorax hummed, clearly unconvinced.

“Dad, where’s the medicine cabinet in your bathroom?”

“The third cabinet, why?”

“I’ll be right back.” Thorax replied. Metamorphosis sighed as Pharynx patted him on the back, muttering something. Thorax soon came back and forced a thermometer into his mouth. “Don’t spit it out.”

“He’s not me Thorax, besides, you can’t order him around, he’s your dad.”

“Shush Pharynx.” Thorax hissed, and Metamorphosis sighed, burrowing deeper down into his bed. Thorax took the thermometer back after a minute, and huffed. “See? 100 degrees. You weren’t fine.”

Metamorphosis sighed and buried his head in the pillow. “I don’t know how I’m sick though…”

“Exhaustion, stress, worry…” Pharynx listed. “Pretty much everything that you do.”

“I… I guess I didn’t think about that…” Metamorphosis coughed slightly, rubbing his eyes. “Labrum and the other chefs seem to do alright…”

“Well, yeah dad, because they’re used to it.” Thorax nuzzled him. “I bet they had these same problems at first, but figured out a way to balance their work and rest so it doesn’t affect them anymore.”

“Yeah, and come on dad, I know you like baking, but you don’t have to be up when the chefs are.” Pharynx chuckled dryly. “I mean, they’ll probably let you use their kitchen whenever you feel like it, you don’t need to be there when they are.”

“Especially if it affects your health.” Thorax agreed, and Metamorphosis sighed.

“Alright boys, I understand…” he coughed again, his chest rattling, and Pharynx shook his head.

“You know, I don’t think we got our stubbornness completely from mother.” Pharynx quipped, and Metamorphosis snorted irritably. “Anyway… stay in bed.”

“Like you’re one to talk.” Thorax chuckled, elbowing Pharynx, and Metamorphosis smiled at the two wearily. “But Phar’s right. I think you should stay in bed and rest for now dad.”

“Alright boys, alright…” Metamorphosis sighed and closed his eyes. He heard hoofsteps, then a lump flopped onto the bed beside him. Metamorphosis squeaked and opened his eyes, seeing Pharynx smiling at him. “Pharynx…?”

“Heh… I’m not leaving you here alone.” Pharynx told him, cuddling into his father. “You didn’t leave me alone when I was sick…”

Metamorphosis smiled and pulled him close. “Thank you my Dark Warrior…” he yawned and closed his eyes. “You know you don’t have to stay…”

“I know… but…” Pharynx sighed and cuddled into him. “The last changeling who took care of me like you do… I never got a chance to pay it forward to her… I’m not risking that chance with you.”

Metamorphosis smiled softly and nuzzled him. “Thank you Pharynx… I love you, my son…”

Pharynx chuckled and nestled into him. “I love you too dad.”

Metamorphosis smiled and closed his eyes, falling asleep. He felt Pharynx cuddling into him, and held him tighter, smiling in his sleep.

PreviousChapters Next