• Published 11th Sep 2020
  • 1,729 Views, 462 Comments

Patrilineality: Making Up For Time We Lost - Melody Song



Metamorphosis experiences daily life at the Hive, starting with someone he's all too familiar with resurfacing.

  • ...
14
 462
 1,729

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 34: Prophecies Of The Past

“Thorax?” Metamorphosis nudged his son, who was asleep. It was early morning after all.

Thorax yawned, shifting, clutching Apex gently. Metamorphosis smiled softly, not having the heart to wake his son quite yet. He curled up beside him instead. Thorax yawned again, putting a hoof around his dad in his sleep. Apex stirred from the movement, rubbing his eyes.

“Heh, good morning Apex.” Metamorphosis murmured. The nymph opened his eyes.

“Huh? Gran’pa Mety? Wha’re you doin’ here? Did you have a bad d’eam?”

“Heh, no little one.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him. “I’m here to get Thorax.”

“Bu’ no’ me?” Apex looked up at him with big eyes.

“Seeing you is a perk.” Metamorphosis chuckled, hugging the nymph. “Why don’t you run along and see if Hero and Zenex are awake?”

“Okay! Bye Gran’pa Mety!” Apex hugged him, then fluttered his wings and flew out of the room. Metamorphosis smiled, then turned back to Thorax.

“Thorax?” Metamorphosis whispered again, and this time, Thorax stirred, yawning.

“Dad?”

“Wake up, my son.” Metamorphosis nuzzled him gently. Thorax yawned, stretching.

“Morning dad. Did you need something?”

“Well, yes.” Metamorphosis sat beside Thorax, sighing softly. “Son, do you remember during the Diplomatic Meeting, where I told all of you Chrysalis’ backstory?”

“Yes…?” Thorax snuggled up against him.

“Well, I didn’t tell you the whole story.” Metamorphosis sighed and looked down. “I purposely forgot to mention one thing, as it is something that should remain solely a part of the Changeling’s culture, no one else’s.”

“What is it?” Thorax asked, ears perking in interest and worry over his father’s tone.

“Let’s get your brother first, then I’ll explain.”

Thorax nodded, getting up. He and Metamorphosis then headed to Pharynx’s room, finding him already awake. He was polishing his battle armor.

“Pharynx, what are you doing?”

Pharynx looked up. “Keeping my armor shiny, just because it’s probably never going to be used again is no excuse not to keep it in perfect condition. What are you two doing here?”

“Dad has something to tell us.” Thorax explained

“Oh. What?” Pharynx glanced over. Metamorphosis sighed and sat down.

“There is something I left out when I told you and your fellow leaders about Chrysalis’ history.” he began. “You see, the Draconequus that cursed Chrysalis and her subjects did not leave them without a way of reversing the curse.”

“What?!” The two brothers exclaimed as one, and moved closer.

“There was a prophecy. Chrysalis discovered it years later, while crafting her throne.”

“The magic absorbing throne?” Thorax asked

“The very same.” Metamorphosis closed his eyes. “Chrysalis showed it to me using a x-ray spell, it lies directly underneath the throne, embedded in stone.”

“Then how come noling saw it when they were putting Thorax’s hippie throne in?” Pharynx interrupted, causing his father to re-open his eyes and him to receive a jab in the side from his brother. “Oh come on, you know I’m not wrong, it’s literally a giant tree, Thorax.”

“Hmph… you still don’t have to be rude about it… though that is a fair question, why didn’t we see it?”

“If I had to guess I’d assume that over the years it was covered by dust and grime.” Metamorphosis explained. “But… I believe we should uncover it again.”

“Really? Why?” Thorax asked, and instead of responding, Metamorphosis merely closed his eyes again, and spoke.

Those who preyed and fed on selfish desire. Cursed to forever hunger for what your leader could not sow. Now crave and seek until you drain all other species fellow. Starve and fight until the single fallen heir begins to inspire.

“The single heir?” Thorax echoed. “As in… heir to the throne?”

“Oi… clearly, I got most of the brains.” Pharynx muttered, facehoofing. “Thorax, the prophecy is clearly talking about you!”

“It’s what?!”

“He’s right.” Metamorphosis leaned over and nuzzled his son. “Clearly, this prophecy was meant to tell Chrysalis that the solution to bringing her kingdom back was you. The heir that would inspire everyone to change.”

“But, of course, mother was blinded by greed and I’m guessing that she completely ignored it. Typical.” Pharynx grunted. “I’m glad we at least have one intelligent parent.”

Metamorphosis chuckled and hugged him gently. “I love you too my son.”

Thorax, meanwhile, had fallen silent, processing things. “But… we’re brothers, twins even, why does it only refer to there being one heir?”

“Because you were the ‘fallen’ heir, like it said.” Pharynx reminded him. “I was about ready to follow mother’s every command. You were the only one out of the two of us who sought another way and thus ‘fell’ from grace in mother’s eyes.”

“I guess that makes sense…” Thorax stood up. “Dad, we need to uncover that prophecy.”

“I assumed as much.” Metamorphosis also rose. “Come, I have a feeling it will take all three of us to move your throne out of the way so we can get to it.”

The brothers looked at each other, then nodded and stood, eyes full of trust and determination. Metamorphosis led them out to the throne room, where Pharynx immediately set to work. He rammed his shoulder into one side of the throne and began pushing. Thorax ignited his antlers with magic and began tugging from the other side. Metamorphosis joined his oldest son in pushing the throne.

The act of moving the throne attracted attention from nearby changelings, who watched them curiously. Some looked like they wanted to assist the royals, but, sensing from the emotions being given off by the three that this was a family matter, they stayed put. Eventually, the throne had been moved enough that they could see more clearly the platform it stood on.

“There it is.” Metamorphosis said, as Pharynx used his hoof to brush aside the layers of dirt that had gathered over time, coughing as it billowed up into the air.

“It’s exactly how you said it was.” Thorax murmured, touching a hoof to the words, so deeply engraved into the stone the grooves could be felt against his hoof.

“What do we do with it?” Pharynx asked, prodding the stone. Surprisingly, the stone shifted, and his eyes widened.

“It’s a stone slab, not properly connected with the rest of the platform.” Metamorphosis realized

“We can replace the slab with another piece of rock.” Thorax said, igniting his antlers again and attempting to lift the stone. Pharynx and Metamorphosis quickly lit their own horns to help him. “I know exactly what to do with this.”

“Do you now, baby bro?” Pharynx asked, raising a brow.

“Mhm.” Thorax replied simply, staring at the inscription.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“I love it Thorax.” Metamorphosis said, smiling at his son, who smiled back.

The stone slab had been bonded to the entrance of the Hive, using Pharynx, Thorax, and Metamorphosis’ combined magic. Pharynx and Metamorphosis had agreed with Thorax, it was the perfect place to put it.

“Now, we will always be reminded of the changeling who inspired and guided us down a better path.” Pharynx said, making Thorax blush. “Good, you liked it. Enjoy it, because that’s all the sappiness you’re getting out of me for the next week. Maybe month.”

“Well, thank you Phar.” Thorax smiled at him, then hugged both his father and brother. “I’m glad we did this.”

“Yeah yeah, now, let’s go grab some of the dumbest guards to put the throne back in place.” Pharynx said, pulling away.

“Why can’t we just do it ourselves? Besides, why would you want the ‘dumbest’ guards to do it?” Thorax asked, following his brother back into the Hive.

“One, because I’m not shoving that thing back into place, especially now that I know how heavy it is for a hunk of wood. And two, we want the dumb ones because it may take longer, but let’s face it; it’s gonna be entertaining as heck!”

Thorax could only sigh, following Pharynx towards where the guard quarters were. Metamorphosis chuckled, following his sons back inside. He smiled, taking one last look at a stone slab turned plaque, that would display the fateful prophecy for years to come. And hopefully, would carry on his son’s legacy long after.

PreviousChapters Next