• Member Since 11th May, 2013
  • offline last seen 8 hours ago

TheEighthDayofNight


"What we wish, we readily believe, and what we ourselves think, we imagine others think also." -Julius Caesar. TCP Discord is available. Please send a DM!

Sequels1

T

After failing a math test, Anon returns home to her adoptive mother; Twilight, who attempts to teach Anon basic math. Unfortunately for her, math is harder than it appears.
Will Twilight learn a lesson?
Will Discord cause chaos?
Is Princess Celestia too fat?
Will Anon get the cake?
The answer is mostly yes.

My entry, and now the winner of the Anon Filly Contest
Featured on the day of its posting; 3/6/2020!
and
With a reading by StraightToThePointStudios!

Chapters (1)
Comments ( 84 )

But I thought two plus two equals fish.

This is so rediculas and I love it

Y'know I'm starting to think I'm the only person in the world who was never punished for bad grades or failing a test. It wasn't even a possibility in my house, not even in the most theoretical sense. If I made a bad grade, my ma would talk to me about what I thought went wrong and how I could do better next time. It's just a really weird idea to me. Punishing someone doesn't make them better at something. Anyway, I'm sure your story is great. It's just a strange idea to me.

This is f*cking hilarious.

10118417
I don't even remember getting a bad grade. And there are probably other people who fit into that subcategory.

Really did not see it going this route. Also Rarity is a liar. Red is greens compliment with it trending toward purple as it gets to lighter shades.

Because of magic, two plus two equals fish!

What could be better than a mom and daughter?

I dunno, husband and wife? Mum and son?

Comment posted by Iamaprettypony deleted Mar 7th, 2020

10118417

Punishing someone doesn't make them better at something.

Not directly, but it certainly can motivate them to work harder at it. Depending on the context, it can be seen as punishment for laziness/complacency rather than ineptitude.

Whether this approach is ethical or not is up for debate, but in terms of effectiveness, well... there's probably a reason for the stereotype of Asians being crazy good at math.

10119084
Actually, stress inhibits learning. It's totally counterproductive. (Hmm, my ma's a teacher. Probably explains some things.) Also, I'd rather my child enjoy learning than learn out of fear.

10119091
Stress does inhibit learning. But a lack of motivation also results in less learning.

It then becomes a trade-off: you might learn less for a given measurement of effort, but the increased effort from fear of punishment may still result in a net increase in content learnt.

Obviously, the ideal is to get the child to learn out of interest rather than fear, but you may not always be in a position to pursue that ideal. In situations like that, parents may resort to punishment in order to motivate rather than go, "Oh well, if it's not your thing, it's not your thing."

How's it gonna feel? This time it's real, and not a temporary fracture.
This is what you get; the stage is set for you and your attempted rapture.

Is he gonna smile that indulgent smile when you come running home?

And every night you ask yourself:
"What am I to do?"
Can it be so hard to calculate?
When three goes into two, there's nothing left over.

(How's that for long division?)

Based on Anon's obsession with cake, how can I believe that Celestia didn't actually raise her?

I hope this story gets a reading on YouTube.

This was good your getting a thumbs up!

10118722
FAIRY GODPARENTS!

Great job!

Wait a minute... there's MATH?!

FOR THE LAST F:yay:KNG TIME, NO ONE SAID THERE'D BE MATH!!!! I BLAME OUR SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOLS!!!!

10118363
Screw that, I'm more worried about the fact that there's MATH!!!

FOR THE LAST F:yay:KNG TIME, NO ONE SAID THERE'D BE MATH!!!! I BLAME OUR SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOLS!!!!

I love that Anon and Celestia get that sweet cake-bonding.

This is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

This was stupid... which is another way of saying perfect, apparently.

And 500 million divided by 327 million is a million!

(I'm sure some people know what I'm referencing) :raritywink:

10120249 I did algebra for fun in school... AND FINISHED THE ENTIRE BOOK BY MAY!!!

I am... MATH MAN!!

Wait, two plus two doesn’t equal a ballet dress? :pinkiegasp:

I really liked this story. I’m also in agreement with Discord, because this kind of Anon is much more preferable to me than the kind found in mature works.

Huh, for once filly anon doesnt get arbitrarily fucked at every turn. What a twist.

10118722
Nice reference. Thank you.

10118363
Same treatment as the other guy who made the reference. Thank you.

Can someone tell me what made 2+2=fish?

“Please, a princess from another world? Chaos never came so easily. You’re just lucky I didn’t grab one of the weird ones.” He shuddered. “So many universes, so much mature content.”

oh I'd love that

Got a good read with this. Not just the silliness I expected, but more! :rainbowlaugh:

10121526 And with that, Big Mac forever became known as the Pony Luca Pacioli.

:twistnerd:

Why is filly anon always so damn funny and witty? I literally can't get enough of these stories.

10118363

2+2= Shoe

Everyone knows that.

10122137
Nah

1 + 1 = 7 (By the Serrano family)

2 + 2 = Fish

and

1 + 2 = Shoe

“Twilight, please! The cake, I deserve cake!”

We all deserve the cake

Hilarious, though making her Princess of Math is probably going too far, saddling her with something she'll be forced to do even if she doesn't have a special talent for it.

I'm late to the party on this one, but my God this was just pure genius! The idea and backstory of this whole thing being executed amazingly is just awesome! You did phenominal on this, that's for dang sure! Hope ya didn't mind, but I had to make a reading on this great piece of writing art!

Audio Linky Loo: https://youtu.be/2uYd8UgIP3w

(I don't mean to offend anyone with this comment!)

reads title
That's not right

10121268
flip the first 2 around, and you have a fish with crossy eyes, put the equal sign underneath the two's, and you have a fish. Dead, as we call it in Rocky.

10121268
As others have noted, you can draw something resembling a fish by writing a 2, and then writing a backwards 2 in the same place. Well, at least to the same extent that a colon followed by a closing parenthesis resembles a smile. :)

The title, but not the cake, is a lie.

10121350
I smell a whole universe of possibilities.

Pennywise the Dancing Alicorn.
Charlie Magne, Alicorn Princess Of Hell.
Judy Hopps, Alicorn of dealing with Sly Foxes!

10123798
Well that's tame, I was thinking in a more....R-21 outlook

*Reads title*

*Starts having PTSD flashbacks of the two time two divided by two insanity*

MATH=COMEDY? THE DALEK EMPEROR APPROVES OF YOUR STORY!

ALL THAT BECAUSE OF A FAILED MATH TEST AND CAKE? LOL!

Login or register to comment