• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,394 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,394

PreviousChapters Next
How I met your princess

“So Mage Meadowbrook, my idol, is pretty much your mom.”

“Eh, it's less official and more of a metaphor. But there aren't many ponies I'd trust more than her.”

“And I love him just as much as one of my own,” Meadowbrook interjected, trotting over with a batter-covered spoon and gently nuzzling Arca. “Here, Arca. Cookies are baking, no point wasting batter.”

“Woohoo!” The stallion wasted no time grasping the utensil and licking the sugary substance off of it. “All this time and it's just like I remember it. Oh, I almost forgot!” Arca dug through his saddlebags, removing a thick tome that appeared to be written recently. “I had to donate your original notebook to the Rainbow Falls library after one too many explosions. But I am allowed to copy it by hoof at any time, so I made you a copy! I know it's not the same, but I want you to have it.”

“My… my notebook is still around?” Meadow sat down next to Juniper and across from Arca, flipping through the book. “And this one is far neater than my hastily written notes. Thank you, Arca.”

“Yeah, I tried to get the original back, but Mayor Silver said, “You may be older than me, but you are certainly not careful! She would have to come get it herself… and I'm not sure the Equestrian historical society would approve! And only take ONE lollipop from the front desk on your way out this time!” Jerk.”

“Right, of course he did,” Juniper let out a sigh.

“Sounds like what I had to put up with, dearie. Remind me to tell you about him when he was little. Regardless, I never did apologize for leaving for so long… I hope you can forgive me, Arca.”

“Oh, I forgave you centuries ago, Boss. You had to do it to protect everypony.” The stallion reached across the table and enveloped Meadowbrook in a hug.

“Thank you, Arca. That's a load off my mind. But now that little Juniper here,” she gestured to the pegasus, whose heart skipped a beat hearing her idol call her by name, “is all caught up, what happened after I left? Why are you still around?”

Juniper tilted her head to the side, curious. “Does it have something to do with the-”

“We do NOT talk about The Duck, Juniper! It's a national secret and Celestia hasn't declassified it yet!” Arca took a moment to recollect himself, taking a deep breath. “...Sorry. I just don't want to think about my arch-nemesis in this place. Anyway, where was I? Ah, yes…”


Believe it or not, a few months after you disappeared, Boss, the swamp and its village hit hard times. There was some kinda argument with the pegasi tribe settling nearby, something about territory if I recall. Anyway, they went from providing rain as normal to alternating between torrential downpours and droughts. The town was either flooded or rationing clean water, and Celestia came to help after a pretty bad flood washed some houses away. Thankfully this old tree has seen worse, so I had ponies sleeping on the floor at all hours. The day I met her was honestly the first step.

She was shocked to learn about everything, as the pegasi had complained about squatters, but we set the record straight. Tribalist jerks. Thankfully those rivalries have faded, but I digress. Celestia told me that you wouldn't be coming back, and why… and all that did was make me double down. But, with no food, we had to move to Canterlot, which was under construction at the time. I wonder if the high-and-mighty Canterlot elite know they are partially descended from swamp dwelling earth ponies? Regardless…

Celestia sat on the cliff overlooking the Everfree forest, where her old castle stood before Luna destroyed a good portion of it. It had only been half a year since then, but she still cried herself to sleep every other night about what she had done.

“Princess-Boss? If I may have a moment?”

Celestia didn't even need to turn to know who that was. Nine years (excluding the unknown amount of time in Discord's reign) had passed since they met and he still insisted on calling her that. “Arcane, please, Celestia is fine. You deserve the honor after saving the denizens of Hayseed Swamp from starvation and flooding. What can I do for you?”

“I… I think I may have a way to save your sister. And Meadowbrook too. But it's only theoretical at the moment…”

Celestia whipped her head around at the eccentric unicorn. He was out of his lab coat as he never wore it around town, and that wasn't often given his odd, almost paradoxical nature.

After all, at 25 years old, and bearing exceptional skills in potions, healing, magic, crisis management, and more, why was he still without a cutie mark?

Still, this had serious potential. Her top mages had flung potential solutions around, but most didn't want ‘Nightmare Moon’ back. But if Arca was giving a suggestion… well, he never did that without the logic and research to back it up. “Save Luna? You think you can actually do that, Arcane? How? Please, tell me!”

The orange pony shuffled on his hooves, his royal purple mane shifting in the breeze. “Well, it started as a way to save Meadow, but I think I can try to save Princess Luna, too! Have you ever heard the legend of the philosopher's stone?”

Celestia paused. It wasn't like Arca to chase myths and legends, but he had been growing more and more desperate in his attempts to get Meadowbrook out of limbo without freeing the Pony of Shadows. “Yes, I have. A mythical stone that can act as a substitute for any alchemical ingredient, create a tonic that can cure any illness, and even turn lead into gold. But why are you considering such a fable?”

Arca steeled himself for what would come next. He had been looking into the potential for this for roughly six years now, but kept hitting brick walls due to the fact that most of the books he needed were locked in Celestia's private archives, with good reason. He had his doubts that Celestia would agree, but he had to try. “Well, Princess-Boss, I think that if I knew how to make a potion to cure the world's ills, I could alter it juuust slightly and make it purge corruption from somepony instead! With it, we could not only return Luna to her old self, but maybe the Pony of Shadows, too, and with him gone Meadowbrook wouldn't need to stay in limbo and could come home!”

Celestia blinked once, twice, three times. It was a stupidly simple, yet impossibly complex plan. Arca would be the pony come up with it, though. “So you want to make the legendary Grand Panacea, and use it to make a potion to cure my sister and Stygian of corruption? Arcane, while I have no doubt you of all ponies could alter a potion of such power, we would require a Philosopher's Stone, first.”

“Exactly! That's why I need your help!”

Author's Note:

Before anyone starts, no, I was not aware of the philosopher's stone's reputation in Full-metal Alchemist, as I hadn't watched it. (I spend my off time more on games than anime)
Some emergency research at Twilight-speeds through the wikipedia of the show has led to me creating what I believe to be an effective compromise, as the process was planned to merely involve a lot of magical energy instead of, well, souls.

The things I do for you guys... I did a lot of history research into something I may never watch. Seems interesting, though. I might give it a look when I have time.

PreviousChapters Next