• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,388 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,388

PreviousChapters Next
Tight squeeze

"I say, princess, thank you for assisting me in this long journey. These old bones aren't as spry as they used to be."

"Oh, it's no problem at all! Talking to you is always a delight, and hearing your theories helps my own research. Hopefully once we get to the tree, it won't be as muddy."

Twilight and Starswirl the Bearded trudged along the muddy wooden boardwalk through Hayseed Swamp on their way to visit Mage Meadowbrook. For Twilight, it was a chance to connect with her longtime idol and learn some history. For Starswirl, it was an opportunity to reconnect with an old friend and potentially exchange notes on the modern world.

The door to Mage Meadowbrook's Potion Emporium opened with a simple push, it was open hours after all. The setup was fairly compact, with Meadowbrook's cauldron on a raised platform behind the main area where potions were laid out. She was in the middle of brewing something right now, actually, stirring the mixture as it bubbled away. It took her a moment to notice the new arrivals.

"Oh? Oh! Hello dears, I wasn't expecting you two today! Come in, come in. Make yourselves at home." Meadowbrook gestured for the pair to come up to her little area. "Don't mind me, I'll be done with this in a minute or two."

Twilight simply teleported up, while Starswirl took the short trot across the floor and up the three steps leading to the sectioned-off area. "I'm glad to see that being shuffled forward in time hasn't affected your craft, Meadow," he remarked as he drew close. He gazed into the cauldron full of the teal-colored brew, careful not to dip his beard into it. "Might I ask what you're making?"

Meadowbrook smiled fondly. "Would you believe that this is one of Arca's recipes, Starswirl?"

Starswirl's eyes went wide. "Ah, that colt? I… I honestly miss him. You would have liked him, Twilight."

"That's debatable," Twilight deadpanned.

"He was Meadow's adopted son. He used to call me 'The guy with the jingle bell hat!' Shame, I never got to say goodbye. I remember," he continued as he walked over to one of the walls lined with cabinets, "when he was little, he used to hide in this cabinet here and take naps when he thought nopony was looking." Starswirl opened the cabinet, a nostalgic smile on his face, but was still looking away from the wall. Then an orange hoof emerged from the cabinet and bapped one of the bells on his hat.

Jingle-jingle

"Heh. Jingle hat."

"WH-WH-WHAAAT?!" Starswirl leaped back with a speed that his age shouldn't be able to manage. "N-no, that's impossible!"

Arca shrugged to the best of his ability. He was wedged in the cabinet, barely able to move. "Yeah, I gotta agree, Swirly. Cabinets shrinking like this shouldn't be possible. And despite what mom says, I didn't get bigger. The cabinet got smaller." There was an awkward pause as everypony processed his words. "...anyway I'm stuck."

Twilight, unamused, was already regretting not bringing her anti-headache potion. Arca, as Celestia had warned her, had a proclivity to simply show up at the most unpredictable moments. "Of course you are."

Starswirl looked frantically between Meadowbrook and Twilight. They were both exhibiting signs that they had experience with Arca, which implied… oh sweet Celestia above. "How are you still alive, Arca?"

"Death is for nerds." A pause. "At least, that's what I think the foals are saying these days."

"You know what? I'll just ask Celestia."

"Probably a good idea, she knows a lotta stuff. Hey mom, how's that potion coming along?"

Meadowbrook let out a sigh. "Just finished, sweetie. Here." She filled a ladle with the mixture, before bringing it over and holding to Arca's lips. "Never thought I'd have to take instructions from somepony stuck in a cabinet, but you certainly fit the bill, Arcane."

Arca swallowed the potion, waited a moment, and then coiled up tighter than he was already. It was more than enough to slide out of the cupboard, and he let out a sigh of relief. "Aaaah. Thank goodness. You really need to get that cabinet looked at, mom, it's definitely shrunk since the last time I was in there."

"That was when you were fifteen, Arca."

"Exactly! Who knows how small it'll be in another millenium?!"

Meadowbrook sighed, shaking her head with a chuckle. Not letting good potion go to waste, she began filling some spare bottles with the rest of the potion. Surprisingly, she handed three to Arca. "Now, normally I wouldn't charge family, but I need a favor, Arcane."

"Anything, mom! Just ask."

"Give those to your friend Razzle and tell her she has my blessing."

Arca tilted his head to one side, his ears flopping slightly. "...why would Razzle need my hyper-flexibility potion? She's not stuck anywhere, and she's not a contortionist."

"Just tell her she has my blessing, Arca!"

Author's Note:

"Oh, hi Arcie! What are these potions for?"

"Mom told me to give them to you.
She also says gaseundheit."

"What?"

"She told me to say bless you."

PreviousChapters Next