• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,385 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,385

PreviousChapters Next
Origin of the rainbow

Above the clouds, the night sky was a thing of beauty. It was a thing earth ponies like Meadowbrook rarely got the chance to see, especially back when the tribes were divided and pleasant weather wasn't often a luxury. Still, though, Meadowbrook picked up her pace a bit to catch up with Arca, who was chugging a vial of purple liquid.

“Arca, is that sand viper venom?” she inquired cautiously.

“Yeah. Why?”

“Doesn't that cause internal bleeding and death within ten minutes? Why are you drinking it?”

Arca shrugged, tossing the now empty vial back into his saddlebag. “Because it's flippin’ delicious, duh. Living philosopher's stone, remember? Poisons don't have any effect on me. I'd suggest you try some, but…”

“No thank you, Arca.”

“Between you and me, Princess Luna used to drink this stuff before she got banished. I wonder if she still does. I should meet up with her someday soon, honestly. Ah, here we are!”

The top of the mountain was a wondrous sight to behold, but what was up there left Meadow a little surprised. It was a small pond, glowing with ethereal light as it cycled through the colors of the rainbow, tiny colored specks of light wafting up and away into the night sky. A small pedestal was in the middle of it, with a weathered stone slab acting as a bridge to the pedestal.

“Heh, you like it, boss? This here is the heart of Rainbow Falls. We're standing on a potent arcane resonance point directly on a magical leyline. In other words, this place is supercharged with natural magic. This pool saps that mana and uses it to make all the rainbow liquid the town is known for. A potent alchemical ingredient that needs careful storing, otherwise it dissipates before it gets too far into the valley below.”

Meadow gazed into the almost hypnotically colorful fluid. Being hidden this high above the town meant that its glow was nearly impossible to spot from below, but it had her attention now. “So, Arca, what does this have to do with that duck? Oh, sorry, The Duck.

“That, Boss, took place around 500 years ago…”


April 23rd, 478 ANM (After Nightmare Moon)

The sun was high in the sky as an orange unicorn in a lab coat galloped up the last few yards to the pool of pristine water atop the mountain. This place was a beautiful place of nature, with waterfalls cascading down from the clouds, streaking across the mountain and into the valley below. This lonely pool was high above the cloud layer, its origin unknown. There was, however, an ornate pedestal engraved with runes, positioned in the center of the pool, and a makeshift bridge (better known as a big flat rock) connected it to the edge.

“Come on, Celly! You're slower than usual today!”

Celestia sol Invictus, monarch of Equestria and commander of the heavens, slowly climbed the last few steps. “Arca… I'm not as used to… physical activity… as you are. I do paperwork... and meetings all day... while you go exploring... and experimenting.” Celestia paused to pant for breath for a few moments then continued, “Goodness, do I need to get back to working out…”

“Yeah, that's great and all. Blah blah blah. Lookie! I found the strongest point of magical resonance on the eighth leyline, and I set up my ritual here! With all the ambient magic, we can make a philosopher's stone without all the hassle of time sacrifices and stuff, but I can only do it once before the whole leyline gets thrown for a loop. So, pleasepleaseplease watch me so I get it right this time. I don't wanna do this unsupervised and you're the only pony who knows about the fact I pulled off making it once before.”

It took Celestia a good thirty seconds to process her royal alchemist's request, but eventually steadied herself on her hooves and nodded. “Go ahead, Arca. I trust you.”

“Fantastic! This won't take long, I promise!” he catered across the makeshift bridge and poured a thick, red sap onto an indent in the pedestal. “There. This should absorb the latent energy and form a connection with harmony, becoming the second philosopher's stone. Now, I just have to say the words.” Arca lit his horn, magic touching the pedestal as orbs of light began to float down from the sky in a line, circling the pool and adding a sense of otherworldly power to the scene.

“Kame eth pord fo der, het ontes hiwch I sredie,
Woperedme thwi gamic, ulef orf tis refi!”

As he chanted, the orbs began to collect in the pool of water, shining ever brighter. As soon as Arca finished, there was a brilliant flash that was likely seen for miles, and when it cleared much had changed.

Gone was the pristine, clear water of the pool, and looking down the mountain, so too had the waterfalls vanished. In their place was some sort of liquid rainbow, likely a side effect from channeling all that mana at once to the mountain summit. It looked nice, Celestia had to admit. Meanwhile, Arca stood in awe as a small red stone with a spiral pattern floated above the pool of rainbow.

“I did it,” he breathed. “I did it! Celly, look!” snatching it up in his magic, he galloped toward Celestia with unending joy. “A real, physical, non-pony philosopher's stone! With this, we can try to free my boss and your sister from their imprisonment, and revolutionize alchem-AH!”

“Qua-ACK!”

It all happened so fast Arcane and Celestia needed a moment to process what happened. Arca had tripped over a pebble, of all things, and fell forward. That caused him to drop the philosopher's stone, sending it flying through the air… and right into the mouth of a random duck who happened to open its beak to quack at that exact instance. It choked on the stone, and then…

“Uh, Celly?”

“Yes, Arca?”

“...did that duck just eat my philosopher's stone? You know, the one I've spent 300 years planning to make?”

“I do believe it did.”

“Quack.”

“Stay out of this, you damn bird!” Arca got up and lunged at the mallard, but it took to the skies and glided down the mountain. “Wait, come back! Aw, mane…”

Celestia draped a wing over her subject. “Don't worry, Arca. It can't have gotten far.”

“Still, I need to search this mountain top to bottom for it now,” Arca lamented, but then he appeared to have an epiphany. “Hey… Celly, are you still giving out land to settlers?”

“Indeed I am.”

“I'm calling in that favor you owe me. I want this mountain and its surrounding lands. One of these days… I'm gonna get that damn duck. And not just any duck…

The Duck.”


“After that, I set up an inn and hired some of the best hunters to track down The Duck. They all failed, but word of my offered cash reward as well as the beauty of Rainbow Falls got the town founded and growing fairly quickly. So I kinda own the whole town, but Celestia owns it too, and she said I needed a local government, so here we are! That's the story of The Duck and how I founded the town. Any questions, Boss?”

“Quack.”

“OH, BACK FOR MORE, ARE YA? GET YER FEATHERY ASS BACK HERE, YA DAMN DUCK! YOUR MOTHER WAS A PIGEON!”

Meadowbrook smiled to herself as her son scrambled after his foe. As she pulled out her enchanted crystal to return to her hotel room instantly, she only had one thing to say:

“Yeah, that sounds like you, Arca. And I still love you anyway.”

“LOVE YOU TOO, BOSS!”
“Quack.”
“HOLD STILL! 5,758TH TIME'S THE CHARM! IT'S GOTTA BE!"
"Quack."
"I SAID HOLD STILL!”

Author's Note:

My editor and I have decided that Celestia makes a dial-up noise when thinking in this flashback, and Arca's face becomes obscured by the YouTube buffering symbol. It makes it funnier.

PreviousChapters Next