• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,378 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,378

PreviousChapters Next
Let's Learn

“And from there, all you need to do is let it simmer for a little while, stirring occasionally, and just like that, we have a vat full of my potion of curing stomach aches! Wasn't that easy, dear?”

Juniper sat watching as Meadowbrook carefully and methodically brewed up a potion from memory. “Wow. That was so… calm, compared to how my boss does it. He usually cuts corners by tossing the ingredients in from halfway across the lab and somehow makes it turn out fine.”

Meadowbrook smiled fondly as dozens of memories flashed through her head of catching her former apprentice trying to ‘make potions faster and better than ever before’ by hurling everything from plants to gemstones across her tree-shop and making a ridiculous mess. “Yes, I remember when he used to miss every throw he made. I made him take lessons from a travelling jester who settled down in the swamps in order to improve his throwing… no doubt he's honed those skills over the centuries. I hope he at least calms down enough to teach you, though.”

Juniper shrugged her wings. “Sometimes. Other times he teaches me how to gather rare ingredients, and that involves a field trip… and usually self-defense lessons. He's surprisingly skilled in fighting styles of all three tribes… well, at least the grounded versions of pegasi styles.”

“Well, how about we do some preparations for another brew, then? You are a joy to teach, especially since you don't try to ‘improve the recipe’ with untested ingredient combinations…”

Before they could share a laugh over the pony they had to practically foal sit on several occasions, a jingle came from the front of the shop, indicating a customer.

“Oh! I'll go get it. Juniper, be a dear and stir that vat in a few minutes, will you? Should improve the potion's effect.”

“I'd be happy to!”

And so, Mage Meadowbrook trotted to the front of the store, only come face to face with a bespectacled unicorn stallion holding a clipboard in his magic.

“Um, can I help you, sir?”

The brown-furred stallion chuckled. “In a way, yes. My name is Equivalent Exchange, and I'm with the Equestrian Bureau for Fair and Lawful Business Practice. I received a report that this building was not up to standards for proper health and safety, so I'm here to investigate. I have all the paperwork right here,” he replied, levitating a few legal forms into Meadow's view. “Given that this place looks like it was constructed with styles over 400 years old, I'm not surprised that this place caught the attention of a worried resident.”

Meadow sighed. “Alright, but do try not to break anything. I highly doubt that-”

“Mind if I interrupt, Meadowbrook?” Juniper poked her head out of the lab, holding an old piece of paper. “Believe it or not, even if this place wasn't up to code, which it is because this place gets rebuilt every few months, there's nothing he could do. This paperwork should explain things.” Equivalent took the paper and read it aloud.

This document verifies that the building known as ‘Alchemiracles’ in the town of Rainbow Falls is considered exempt from any and all investigations unless personally approved by either the owner of the property or her royal majesty princess Celestia herself. Any questions about this document may be addressed to the crown directly.

Signed this day, July 17th 572 ANM, in my presence,
-Princess Celestia Sol Invicus of Equestria
-Sir Arcane Catalyst, current owner and proprietor of Alchemiracles, Royal Knight of the Sun, Royal Alchemist of the crown, and five-time winner (and sole contestant) of the annual Canterlot dance-off
-Holly Berry, Apprentice of Arcane Catalyst

“Well then. I suppose this matter needs to be taken to the royal courts. Do you have copies of this so that I might pass it on to my anonymous client?”

Juniper nodded. “Yeah, that's actually a copy. The original is in the royal archives. Keep it.”

“Thank you. I will take my leave now. Farewell, ladies.” and with that, Juniper and Meadow were alone in the shop once more.

“This happen often, dearie?”

“About once a year. Apparently it's been nearly 60 years since anypony has actually gone to the court over it, though. Wanna go make more potions? I always wanted to get taught by you, and this is a dream come true!”

Meadow chuckled. “Let's finish the one we have brewing now, and take a break. It's important to pace yourself, otherwise you might make mistakes. How about we go get lunch instead? My treat.”


“...And that's my report, Miss Essence. I'm glad you brought this to my attention. This document is without a doubt a forgery… it was signed over 400 years ago by the pony you claimed was the current owner!”

Emerald smiled. “Yes, finally I have the evidence I need to get that pesky shop closed! To think he had the gall to not only forge Celestia's signature, but to claim himself as a royal knight AND the royal alchemist? I wouldn't be surprised if he got locked up for the rest of his days. And putting his own signature on the document as though he was there… who is he trying to fool? He may be a thorn in my side, but he isn't ageless! That's impossible!”

“Shall we set up an appointment with the Day court?”

“...No. Princess Celestia AND Princess Luna are coming to the trade exchange in a few weeks, with Celestia supervising Luna's first time as the acting princess of the exchange. I think I'll call that fool out then, and expose him as a fraud in front of the entire town! He'll be ruined, and finally that eyesore of a building can be out of my scenic view forever!”

“...Do you think he actually was the five-time winner of the dance-off, though? I never even heard of it.”

“Knowing that crazy pony, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he declared it himself just for the ego boost. Still…” she looked out her window to the building in question. “Your days are numbered, Arcane Catalyst. Emerald Essence never loses in legal battles.”

Author's Note:

I had something funny to say here, but I forgot.

PreviousChapters Next