• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,350 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,350

PreviousChapters Next
Alchemiracles to go

Juniper Berry laid back and let out a sigh. It had been a long week at the guild, so relaxing on a cloud during a well-earned day off was a welcome reprieve from the ‘normal’ days at work she had.

“Juniper! Hey, Juniper! Good morning!”

Her face morphing into an expression of irritation, she poked her head out over the edge of the low-hanging cloud to see her mentor with a small wagon designed as a foal's toy tied to his tail. It was full of various potions and other medicinal supplies, and had a piece of parchment glued to one side with the words ‘Alchemiracles Delivery Service’ written on it in crayon.

“Really, Boss? Our first day back home and you're already trying something?”

“Relax, I know you took the day off. I got you a snack!” Lighting his horn, Arca levitated a bag of doughnuts and a bottle of juice up to Juniper. “I wanted to get you your usual coffee but the mare at the counter said she wouldn't give me caffeine if her life depended on it.”

Juniper grabbed the confections and the beverage, smiling. “Wow, Boss. Thanks. You're a pretty good stallion, you know that?”

“Anything for my number one apprentice! I'll see you at work tomorrow.” Leaving Juniper and her cloud bed behind, Arca strode towards the nearest building and knocked on the door. “This place looks new. I wonder who runs this jewelry store…”

Inside, Emerald Essence took one look at the pony on the other side of the glass door and groaned from behind the counter. Begrudgingly, she got up, and opened the door ever so slightly. “What do you want, Arcane?”

“Hi, new pony who somehow knows my name! I'm going door-to-door selling po-” A faceful of door stopped his sentence, but Arca's rather hard head caused the quickly swinging glass door to shatter. “Ouch. That looks bad. What you need is my patent pending glass repair potion! It can-”

“OUT!” Emerald pointed with a hoof for Arca to leave.

“Alright, alright, geez! What's your problem? Bye, weird random pony.” Arca turned around abruptly, swinging the potion-filled wagon behind him and accidentally breaking the storefront's giant window and spilling a vial of Alchemist's Fire all over the entryway. It ignited as he cantered off, none the wiser. Emerald responded with a string of profanities that would make a sailor blush.


Arcane left down the street, trotting amidst the storefronts before stopping in front of a rather quaint purple house with a beautiful garden in front. It was one of the few houses on market street, and was a pricey property as a result. Arcane trotted up to the door, using the heart-shaped door knocker to alert the occupant. “Ugh, time to get this over with.”

“Hey, I thought I put up a sign saying no solici- Arcie!” Razzle answered the door, her mane disheveled from sleep. Her eyes, went wide and her usually hidden batlike succupony wings flared out in surprise. “I thought I wouldn't be seeing you for a while after… well, I wasn't exactly polite. I'd offer you something to eat, but you seem up to something.”

“Yup. Potion delivery.” He passed a glowing orange potion to her. “This should help stabilize your mana reserves after everything that happened back at the guild. We're even now, yes?”

“Throw in a kiss and we're all square, Arcie.” She winked at him, attempting to flirt, but she didn't put much effort in since she still looked a bit messy.

Arca just rolled his eyes. “Keep dreaming, Jez. I've got work to do.”

“Alright. For once, I understand. It won't stop me from trying, though!”

As Arcane left, the still demonic-looking Razzle stole one last glance at her crush's flanks. “One day,” she sighed longingly. “One day, but not today. At least I can think straight about it now...”


“Alright, say ah.”

“Aaah.”

Doctor Cross was examining his current patient at the Spiral Wing Memorial Hospital. “Alright, all we need to do now is check your heart rate with this machine. Let's see… it looks like your current heart rate is pretty normal. Now, we need to get a reading of your heart rate when you're having an adrenaline rush. The easiest way would be to startle you, but I can't do that in good conscience as a-”

“DOCTOR!” Arca slammed the window open, sticking his head in.

“Welp, that elevated your heart rate. Congratulations, you're healthy. Hello, Arcane.”

“Hi doctor Cross! I brought a dose of grand panacea so the hospital has a spare. You want it now or should I leave it with the secretary?”

“Just leave it with the storage staff, Arca.”

“Okay!” Arca walked off, his hooves clip-clopping on the ground below him.

Cross's patient turned and looked at the medical expert, worried. “Doc, I think I'm having hallucinations now. How could that stallion trot away on a solid path… when we're on the third floor?!”

“Don't worry, that's just Arca. I usually prescribe going to the salt bar for interactions with that crazy colt.”


“Alright, last delivery of the day. Town hall, here I come!” Acra pushed through the doors and approached the counter, noting it was unattended. A bell was on the counter, with a note reading “ring for service. Naturally, Arca pressed it.

Ding!

Nothing. He tried again.

Ding!
Dingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingquackdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingdingding!
Ding!

“Huh. Nothing. Maybe there's something back here to help me.” He moved behind the counter, finding a note about a very important meeting going on with the school board, several volunteers, and Princess Celestia herself. He knew she was dropping by to call in a favor about some prank, so that was no surprise, but she was still in attendance.

“Aha! The intercom!” Finding the microphone for the device, he pressed the button and listened as the jingle for an announcement echoed through the building. Whatever he said next would be heard by all of town hall. He leaned in, and spoke.

“Hi Mayor Silver! It's Arca, with a potion delivery! I have your hemorrhoid medicine right here, do you want the lotion or the suppository?”

He leaned back and smiled. “Mission accomplished! Although I swear I hear Celestia laughing, I wonder why…”

Author's Note:

"Arca, we need to talk about privacy..."

"Yeah, Princess-boss?"

"Next time let me get a recording crystal first."

PreviousChapters Next