• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,385 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,385

PreviousChapters Next
Arca gets on a train and nothing interesting happens, I swear

Today was a good day for Princess Luna, or as she was currently going by, Star Chaser. It was nice to get away from the duties of the crown, and much like her sister, taking up part-time work at Alchemiracles was an idea she greatly enjoyed. Couple that with the fact that it was a beautiful day, and she couldn't have been in a better mood. The sun was shining, a few birds were singing, Arca's shop was on fire…

...wait, what?

"Good morning, Moon-Princ— er, I mean Star Chaser!" Arca trotted up to the disguised princess with a wide grin, towing a suitcase behind him. "I wish I could stay and chat, but I have a train to catch. Gonna go hunt me some potion ingredients."

"Er… Arcane? The shop is on fire."

"I know, I know! I'll deal with it when I get back. See you in a few days!" And with that, Equestria's most eccentric stallion trotted off, waving a hello to a facehoofing Juniper.

Luna sighed. "Thou art as destructive as always, old friend…"


The train jostled to and fro as it rattled down the tracks. For most ponies, this was no issue. But when you are trying to take notes with a quill amidst the winding curves of the railway cutting through the Rainbow Mountain range dividing Equestria from the Crystal Empire, it can be rather difficult.

"So we've worked out this part, I think, but I'm still not sure what this part means." Sunburst gestured at a few of the unknown symbols on the paper between himself and Starlight Glimmer while stroking his beard. "Thankfully, I was allowed to copy the glyphs on the tablet, but they don't match any known language. It took me days, as the tablet was very clearly damaged from a heavy impact. And it had some centuries-old traces of blood on it."

Starlight frowned, scanning over her copy of the paper. Whatever this writing was, it wasn't Equestrian, that was for sure. She had a few ideas on where to start, though. She levitated it back over towards Sunburst. "I think I found where a sentence stops, at least. Here, take this and—"

"AH, thank you! I needed a napkin." Before Starlight could finish her sentence, the orange hoof of Arca swiped the paper from her magic and used it to wipe the ketchup off his chin. He happily crumpled it up and put it in a now-empty container of Prench fries, before sitting down between the two mages. "Lovely day, isn't it?" He turned and looked at Sunburst. "Oh, hi Sunburst! How is Princess K. Dense doing? Did you ever find out what the K is for?"

Sunburst merely clenched his eyes closed, placing a hoof to his forehead to stave off a headache. Starlight, meanwhile, was looking like she was debating whether to lose her shit or ask what the buck was going on. Thankfully, Sunburst spoke first. "...Mr. Catalyst, if you would please stop sitting on the script I'm trying to decipher, that would be fantastic…"

"Oh! Okay. Want some help?"

Arca stood up and hopped to the floor, the impact sending his lab coat into a gentle rustle. He proceeded to pick up an empty inkwell and mix some leftover condiment packets into it, stirring with the bendy straw he pulled out of his drink. Starlight, meanwhile, had had enough of this. "Excuse you! Who even ARE you? And what gives you the right to barge in on our conversation like that?"

Arcane shrugged. "I'm Arca. And I'm Arca."

Starlight started to grind her teeth together.

"Sorry, I didn't realize you two were talking, there was an empty seat between you two. Well, aside from that paper." Starlight was about to issue another retort when Arca continued. "Who left this here, anyway? I only know like… four ponies who can read Infernal."

That line brought both Starlight and Sunburst to a screeching halt, mentally. "Wait, you can read this?!" They both exclaimed together.

"...yeah? Last I checked, though, all the demon ponies are long dead with one exception, and the only other ponies who even know Infernal are Princess-Boss and Moon-Princess-Boss. Er, Celestia and Luna." Finishing that statement as though it was as common knowledge as the color of the sky, the alchemist added a dollop of mustard on top of his miniature mix and continued to stir. Somehow, the goop started to change color and consistency from brown slop to a teal liquid, but nopony noticed aside from Arca.

Sunburst glanced at Starlight, then back at Arca, and at Starlight again before looking back at the ever-eccentric stallion who occasionally showed up in the crystal palace for ingredients. Why the guards just accepted Arca's presence, he had no idea, and he was a little worried to find out. "Can… can you translate it?"

"Sure!" Arca picked up the paper and looked it over, before turning it 180 degrees so he could properly read it. "Ahem… Dear Mr. Evil Buttface Demon Lord Ix. You appear to be the father of my good friend and new apprentice, who has decided to abandon her duties as a succupony to pursue alchemy under my tutelage until, in her own words, 'Realize I've sworn my existence to the wonderful stallion who showed me the power of friendship, so we can be together forever and I can show him how good I can make him feel in the bedroom as his wife.' As an aside, it sounds like whoever that stallion is is a lucky colt. Not sure what a bedroom has to do with anything, though. But I digress. Please stop sending assassins to kill me and/or abduct her, as I have already acquired enough demon horn shavings after Celestia took them aside and talked to them, and I would hate to waste good ingredients. I hope they are enjoying the vacations Celestia sent them on. Who knew that the farm pets run away to when they get too old needed volunteers? I'd send them postcards if I knew the address.

Anyway, if you continue to annoy me, and more importantly, threaten my apprentice who wants you out of her life, I may be forced to come harvest your ingredients.

You do have rare ingredients, right? It's hard to grow Tartarian plants in my garden.

☆Have a splendiferous day!☆
-Arcane Catalyst."

Both ponies sat in stunned silence. Both couldn't believe what they'd heard. The condiment-filled inkwell erupted in a plume of teal smoke, causing them to cough for a few seconds.

"...That or this is a grocery list, but I'm a tad rusty on my dead languages. Maybe ask Celestia to look into it? Or Luna?"

Bing-bong

"Attention, fillies and gentlecolts, this is the conductor speaking. We're arriving at our next stop shortly, so prepare to disembark."

Bing-bong

"OH HEY, THIS IS MY STOP!" Arca quickly grabbed his suitcase and cantered towards one of the train cars that would be letting passengers off. "You two lovebirds enjoy your date!"

Again, Starlight and Sunburst both looked at Arca, stunned. "We aren't dating!" They both shouted.

"Oh. Do you want to, though?" Arca raised an eyebrow.

"YES!" They both yelled back. Then they turned to each other. "Wait, WHAT?"

Arca slipped out of the train car while they had their little revelation.

"Mission accomplished, thanks to my Answer-Arca's-Questions-Truthfully smoke bomb potion. A bit hastily made, but eh, it'll wear off in an hour anyway," he muttered to himself, pulling out a parchment. "...and I thought I wrote that warning letter to Ix on a stone tablet and flung it at his castle at mach 4. Ah well, maybe I'm misremembering." He began writing as the train approached the station.

"Dear Princess... Me Armor Condenser… mission accomplished. Send candy as payment."


Meanwhile, in an undisclosed location that totally wasn't the kitchen of a bakery…

Twitchy ear. Tingly hooves. Sore spot on the left flank. The signs were all there, and there was no denying it if you only knew how to look for them.

Pinkie smiled an impossibly wide grin. Somepony new was visiting Ponyville on the next train, and somepinkie was going to give them a great big welcome.

Author's Note:

"Sister, thou said Arcane defeated the demon king singlehoofedly.  How did he accomplish it?"
"From what little I understood of his explanation, it was either full-contact frisbee or extreme mail delivery.  I'm not even sure I want to know what actually happened."

PreviousChapters Next