• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,378 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,378

PreviousChapters Next
Memo to the Founder

Juniper and Arca sat at the train station of Rainbow Falls rather patiently as they awaited the next passenger train to Manehattan, where the alchemy guild was located. Arca was occupying himself by gnawing on one of his mixing rods like a dog, while Juniper was watching ponies move to and fro with various tools and supplies.

“So Boss, why are we dropping everything and rushing to the guild as fast as we can? You're staying surprisingly tight-lipped about it.”

Arca paused his idle chewing on the wooden utensil and shrugged. “I personally couldn’t say, Juniper. But when the guild calls an emergency meeting of the board of directors, it usually means it's something stressful. And when it's something stressful…”

Something clicked in her head, and Juniper finished the thought. “I have to be the therapy pony. I wondered where my service animal vest went. You must have packed it.”

“Yup. It looks like the train won't be here for a while, want something to read?” He hoofed over a scroll marked ‘important, read asap’ dated a few months ago. It was still sealed. “I couldn't find ‘asap’ in the library, so I'll have to ask when we get there, but maybe you can read that.”

Juniper quickly tore open the scroll. “Boss, this isn't just any letter, this is…”

The list of things Arca shouldn't do at the guild

-Unfortunately, as Arcane outranks the board as the founder, he can edit this list at any time. Celestia help us all.
-Finally! Do you know how many lists I can't edit?
-Many, we are sure. But please view this as a list of guidelines, we don't want the staff complaining again.
-At least we can cross him out.
-Any mixing vats are not considered bongos when flipped upside down.
-There are no games of Marenopoly allowed on campus, not after the ‘Free parking’ incident.
-Arca is not allowed to use a yo-yo indoors, or within 50 feet of other ponies while on campus.
-Modern colloquialisms are advised against after Arca literally tried to make money grow on trees.
-I got it to work, though!
-The bit tree is considered property of the crown and may be harvested only with two or more currently active guards present.
-Or Celestia herself.
-Not allowed to drink sand viper venom in public. Yes we know Arca likes it, but it scares ponies.
-There is no annual Alchemy Guild musical.
-Or ‘Alchemy: The Musical’, despite Arca's claims.
-Will you guys even look at the script? Please?
-Any sightings of The Duck are to be kept secret, and Arca is to be moved far away from the main building immediately.
-Mage Meadowbrook may be an honorary member of the board of directors, but she does not outrank Arca.
-Nor is the board obligated to call her ‘Boss’ or ‘Mom’.
-Arca is not allowed in the archives without supervision by at least one scribe. He does not understand that first editions are to be handled with more care than copies, except for Mage Meadowbrook's works, which he can be left alone with.
-Yes, Celestia donates to the research fund every year. No, Arca may not funnel all of it into any of the following: The Duck research, More s'plodey explosives, ‘spy gadgets’, attempts to make the largest bowl of cereal break ANY record, Celestia's birthday present, movie night, and finding a way to contact Dr. [data redacted] at the [data redacted] foundation again. Once was enough.
-Arca is not allowed to ‘have the intern handle it’.
-Mareiachi is not appropriate mood music for big presentations.
-Any presentations made by Arca that are done in macaroni art, crayon, or newspaper collages are to be redone for half credit.
-Do you really grade them? Where's my report card?
-No, we don't actually grade them.
-"Tossing random shit in a vat and hoping it does something 101” is not, will not be, and has never been a course we offer.
-And even if we did, Arca couldn't be trusted to teach it.
-No galloping in the halls!
-Especially if Mr. Knickaid is present, he will lecture anypony about that.
-Lab coats are required attire in certain areas of the guild hall.
-And you're telling the immortal who is never seen without a lab coat this rule… why?
-Fair point, Guild Master Arca.
-No challenging any of the guild apprentices to make a working philosopher's stone. Celestia made future attempts illegal after The Duck, two stones is enough.
-'Performing a target clear' is not the correct way to remove any obstacle in the building. Mainly because a 'target clear' is just a body slam.
-You gotta shout it! "TARGET... CLEAR!"
-Guild apprentices may be challenged to ‘unlabeled potion roulette’ only if they sign a liability waiver, and only if none of the potions are truly harmful.
-Arca is not allowed to have a staring contest with his statue celebrating his founding of the guild. Or any statue.
-I swear they move slightly!
-Arca's wild stories are not to be taken with a grain of salt, as they often hold some truth behind them. We recommend at least a tablespoon of salt instead, possibly a quarter cup.
-No, seriously, get plastered before listening to Arca's stranger stories, it's the only way they make sense.
-It's not my fault you guys don't have the experience I do!
-Arca may not brag about his age, as he is legally 30 forever. So technically we have more experience, on paper at least.

Author's Note:

Can any of you spot the very subtle references to Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia I put in? There are 2, because I loved that game.

PreviousChapters Next