• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,378 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,378

PreviousChapters Next
Cloudy with a chance of Floof

The door to Alchemiracles's laboratory creaked open as Juniper poked her head in. She went through her mental checklist before entering: Is anything on fire? Did she have a lab coat and goggles? Was anything capable of becoming a projectile tied down? And did she hear any strange noises?

Deciding that the coast was clear, the pegasus pushed the door open the rest of the way and stepped into the room. She was immediately greeted by the common sight of her mentor standing over his cauldron, stirring the mixing rod with his hooves. She'd asked him once why he didn't use his magic, and he told her that his method was how Meadowbrook had taught him, and he just preferred it.

“Oh, hey Juniper!” Arca stepped down from his position and faced his apprentice. “You're just in time! I'm having another go at my famous mane growth potion!” He grinned, only for Juniper to turn around and walk out of the lab, slamming the door in his face. “Oh come on, why is that always your reaction? Juniper!” He rapped on the door with a hoof. “Please? Just this once?” No response. “Fine, I'll just… make something else.” Sighing, Arca lifted the cauldron and the green potion inside it in his magic and went to dump it out the window.

“Quack.”

“Wait, what?!” Arca set the cauldron down and peered out the window, only to touch his muzzle to the bill of his arch nemesis.

“Quack.”

“Potions be damned, it's DUCK HUNT TIME!” Arca leapt out the window to grab The Duck, only to faceplant into the mud. Rain poured down around him from the current storm that was going on, soaking his clothes, but he could care less as his mind was dead set on one purpose. Unfortunately, the splatter of mud startled The Duck, and it flew off into the clouds.

“Hey, get down here and fight me like a real immortal, you coward! Projectile, I need a projectile! Aha!” He reached back inside with his magic, levitating the cauldron outside. “This ought to put a dent in that annoying waterfowl! Take… this!” Without thinking, he launched the cauldron and its contents into the air, missing his target by several dozen yards. It did, however, impact the giant cluster of storm clouds covering the town before falling back to the ground, turning them all the same sickly green color of the mane growth potion that the cauldron contained.

“Uh, oh. That's not good. Juniper is not gonna be happy with me about this…” Taking the cauldron once more in his magic, Arca teleported back inside his home just before the first potion-infused drops of rain began to fall…


Mayor Silver Scroll was walking down market street when he noticed the clouds above him change color from dark gray to green. Odd weather was commonplace with the rainbow liquid occasionally falling from the clouds as rain instead of waterfalls, but this was new. And new phenomena usually meant Arca was in some way responsible, and Arca being involved meant take cover as soon as possible. It was too late, though, as the first of the green raindrops hit the ground so soon only those with teleportation could have dodged it.

Many ponies wandering the street looked up as the colored droplets fell. But their attention soon turned to each other as they began scratching at their heads. Silver felt it too, and a feeling of dread washed over him as he realized that he more likely than not was about to suffer another floofing dose of the most infamous potion in town.

“Oh, no… Arca ‘s gone and done it again. I wish I had an umbrella.”

Suddenly, his old, snowy white mane began to shake and vibrate with energy. His mane shot straight up and extended so he had a massive pillar of hair extending three feet above his head. With a mighty floof, the pillar of hair extended out in a mushroom shape, forming an umbrella of hair above his head. His tail followed a similar suit, poomfing out and creating a second umbrella-like clump of hair. Unfortunately, the wind picked up, and Silver gripped the ground with his earth pony strength to prevent being pulled away.

Other ponies weren't so lucky, being blown backwards or even lifted off the ground a bit before being tossed around by the wind and rain. A few unlucky souls had their new umbrella-manes get turned inside out by strong gusts or being thrown into flower beds and storefronts alike. Some brave pegasi tried to halt the storm, but their attempts were doomed to fail from the start.

Silver was just extracting himself from a table when a familiar pony trotted up. Perched on the back of this pony was The Duck, who was sporting a magnificent head of golden blond hair. “Quack.” Even its voice had changed to sound suave.

“Well, looks like you need some help, Silver. Thank goodness I know a force field spell to keep myself dry from all this,” Arca said. “And look at this cool duck I found! He was just chilling around my lab.” Silver rolled his eyes as he nodded to indicate he needed help. A flash of metal and Arcane had unceremoniously sheared off his mane and tail. He proceeded to do this to the various ponies present, one by one leaving them exposed, before coming back over to Silver. “There! Problem solved! Aren't I smart?” He tossed away the knife he was using to cut everypony's manes off, accidentally shearing off The Duck's impressive new hairdo. This also reset its voice.

“Quack.”

“WAIT, IT WAS YOU IN DISGUISE THE WHOLE TIME!? GET OFF MY BACK, YOU FREELOADER!”

“Quack.”

“HOLD STILL!” Arca rolled to get The Duck off his back, managing to soak himself in the rain. This resulted in him becoming a ball of hair, ensnaring The Duck and tumbling down market street, off a cliff, and into the basin below with a distant thud.

“I'm okay!”
“Quack.”
“Shut up, you damn duck!”

Author's Note:

"What a suave motherducker he was."

"Boss, no. Just... no."

PreviousChapters Next