• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,386 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,386

PreviousChapters Next
Twi

A furious knocking at the shop door (which started the exact second the shop was set to open) drew Arca's attention from stocking the shelves and towards the front door of Alchemiracles. He rolled his eyes at Razzle, who was subbing in for Juniper and counting the morning bits in the register behind the counter, and trotted over to the entrance, opening the small porthole in the middle of the door. He glared out and found a pair of purple eyes staring back at him.

"You ponies and your punctuality. I'm still stocking the shelves, who are you and what do you want?" He watched as the pony took a polite step backwards to avoid being so close, and he got a better look at her. Purple fur, wings, a horn, and a six pointed star as her cutie mark. "Oh, wait, I saw you in the newspaper a few times, and I can mostly remember names from newspapers. You're… uh… wait, don't tell me. Twi… Twibright Waffle! That was it!"

The purple alicorn stared back at Arca for a moment, unsure if he was a master jokester like Pinkie Pie or if what Celestia had said about his name memory was really true. She decided to go with the latter for her own sanity. "I hate to correct you, but it's Twilight Sparkle. You're Arcane Catalyst, right? I saw a news report and-"

"Ok, sorry for getting your name wrong, Turpentine Spackle! Are you here to buy a potion?"

"No, I wanted to ask you a few questions about your alicornhood, and-"

For the second time, she was cut off. "Then come back later and let me finish stocking my shelves!" A potion hovered out of the porthole in Arca's magic, pouring onto the welcome mat. The fibers reacted, and the writing changed from 'Come on in!' To 'Come on, leave already!' He shut the porthole and finished stocking the shelves for the morning customers, then went back to the door and reopened the porthole. This took about twenty minutes.

Arca groaned as he glanced outside. "Are you still there? Why?!"

Twilight giggled, covering her mouth with a wing. "I'm waiting for the mat to change back. Clearly you used a temporary potion to change the writing, so I figured I'd wait until it wore off before coming in. You'd have to be crazy to waste a welcome mat every time you wanted somepony gone!"

"That, uhm…" Arca seemed to think for a second. "I can't believe I didn't think of that! I've had to throw out 50 unwelcome mats in the past four years, you just saved me a lot of bits! Here, have a free potion!" Twilight didn't have time to react as a vial of orange liquid met her lips. She reflexively swallowed, and by the time she was done drinking the surprise concoction the door was shut once more. Giving a dejected sigh, she trotted away, rescheduling her day so she could interview the 'new' alicorn later.

Meanwhile, Arca was busy replacing the welcome mat with a spare. "She was pretty smart with that whole temporary text change idea. I hope she comes back soon to buy something."

Razzle shook herself out of her latest daydream about being swept off her hooves by the perfect (in her eyes) stallion in front of her and responded. "She seemed a bit irritated being shut down like that. What potion did you give her, by the way?"

"I dunno. Hey, have you seen the experimental mane growth potion I was working on earlier? It was kinda orange-ish, I swear I put it on this table."

Razzle put two and two together and closed the shades before going back to counting the bits. "Wasn't that the potion you just gave to the princess?"

"Oh. Well, I'm sure Twinleaf Smeargle is happy with it. Hey, do you hear screaming?"

"Nope. You're just imagining things, Arcie-warkie. Oh, fudge! I was distracted by the view and lost count, now I gotta start counting again." She grumbled, shoved all the bits to one side, and started anew.

"What view? All the windows are closed. Wait… do you mean…?" Arca's eyes went wide as Razzle winked at him. "...I'm going back to my lab. Alone." He moved toward the lab, thought for a second, and backed into the room so Razzle couldn't sneak a glance. "Bye."

"Love you too, Arcie."

"MUST YOU SAY THAT EVERY TIME, RAZZLE?!" And with that, Arca slammed the door shut.

Author's Note:

"Must you flirt with me at every possible opportunity, Razzle?"

"No. But I do it anyway because I love you, despite how dense you are."

"Ugh..."

PreviousChapters Next