• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,378 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,378

PreviousChapters Next
Memo to the holiday help

Hey, Juniper insisted I wrote something here so I wrote a haiku.

Welcome to the team
We have lots of potions here
Juniper help I forgot how many syllables it is

Singed, Arcane Catalyst

Ignore the above, please. I just wanted to give you an idea of what you're going to be working with. Welcome to Alchemiracles. If you're reading this, you've been hired as temporary extra help during the holiday rush. Honestly the Boss can do everything himself, but he doesn't handle customers well. Or at all. He tried experimenting on one once. So, seeing as you already read the policies on how the retail aspect of the job is handled, I have prepared a list of guidelines to help you not get hurt, and help you understand why this 3 week long job pays 100 bits an hour. Please, do not ask why these exist, and expect to do something during your stay that will be added to this list.

-Arcane Catalyst responds to being called Arcane, Arca, Boss, and Captain Noodles.
-The customer may think they are always right, but if they get fussy refer them to Arca and move on.
-Arca is not allowed to roll initiative to see who talks to the customers first, nor roll charisma to make a better sale.
-Keep clear of the lab door, Arca opens it fast and without warning.
-Keep a potent healing potion on you at all times.
-Keep a potent fire resistance potion on you at all times.
-Keep a potent explosion resistance potion on you at all times.
-Keep a potent electricity resistance potion on you at all times.
-Do not ask Arca to combine the three resistance potions into a single, more manageable potion, or you will immediately require all three and the healing potion.
-Yes, potions can be flavored upon request, but Arca hogs the grape flavoring to himself.
-And the strawberry.
-Arca is not allowed to restock the shelves without supervision. He can and will get distracted.
-If something stains the wall, alert the hardware store what color the stain is so they can arrange to be out of that color paint. Arca would rather repaint the shop than deal with a stain.
-Do not call any of the couches ‘sofas’.
-Under no circumstances are any mane growth potions to be mentioned, ever.
-Keep Arca away from the decorative presents. He will open them and be disappointed they are empty.
-Don't let Arca near the sugar.
-The shop being on fire is the bare minimum situation that you may disturb Juniper during her coffee break for.
-In case you are from out of town, ‘get floofed’ is the same as ‘buck you’ in this town.
-Arca is amazing and cool you should give him all the potion ingredients you have and let him try new potions on you
-Arca is not allowed to edit these guidelines.
-Juniper may be given a sympathy hug at any time she is not in the middle of something.
-Arca is not allowed to play with superballs in the shop again, ever.
-Even if he asks nicely.
-This applies to any sporting equipment, actually.
-Any and all potion prescriptions are to be reviewed by Juniper for tampering by Arca. He tries to ‘improve’ the formula sometimes.
-If Arca offers you a beverage, odds are he spiked it with an untested but mostly harmless potion for a field test.
-The above rule does not apply if the cup is the one that changes color based on temperature, he likes that one.
-If you have to question a strange behavior, ask Juniper first.
-Pretend any strange noises, vibrations, and flashes in the shop are not there.
-Do not go near the locked door in the back of the lab. Arca keeps his emergency stuffed animals back there.
-Do not question Arca's choice of attire. He has never been seen without his lab coat, or similar clothing, and likely never will.
-Saying ‘What could go wrong?’ or anything similar will result in something going wrong.
-Don't ask about the duck.
-Seriously, DON'T ASK ABOUT THE DUCK
-If you hear Arca say ‘Whoops’,’Oops’,or ‘Uh oh’, you are legally permitted to evacuate the neighborhood at your discretion.
-If you hear Arca panicking and telling anypony in earshot to run, you are legally required to evacuate the town immediately, no exceptions.

By following these guidelines, you should have an easier time working here during the holiday rush. Happy Hearth's Warming, New Year, and welcome to the team! Good luck.

You're gonna need it.

Signed, Juniper Berry

Author's Note:

"Hey Juniper, why are all the potential employees running away?"

"No clue, Boss. *Sigh* No clue at all."

"I made you coffee with... stuff! Drink it. It'll make you feel better. Or turn into a pigeon for a few hours."

PreviousChapters Next