• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,385 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,385

PreviousChapters Next
The Name Game

As Meadowbrook checked the cookies in the oven, the ponies heard a jingling noise from downstairs indicating somepony had entered the shop.

“Oh, dear. Arca, sweetie, will you go see what that pony wants? Preferably without any wanton destruction?”

“You got it, Boss!”


“Hello? Hello? I did not take a two-hour train ride here to be ignored!” The pony paced around the shop looking for somepony to help her, to no avail.

“Just a moment, miss!”

“About time! I need this prescription filled, and make it snappy! I don't want to miss the next train home!” she maneuvered over towards the stairs, ready to give whoever it was a serious chewing out for slacking on the job.

“Okay! Here I come- aw, buuuck!” A loud THUMP was heard, as though something had fallen over, followed by a series of smaller, rapid thumps. Accompanying this was a chorus of “Ow!”s and “Ouch!”s, as a pony came tumbling down the steps and narrowly avoided the customer before crashing into the metal cauldron with a loud CLANG.

“Is this your idea of customer service? I ought to- oh, no.”

“Hiya! I'm Arcane Catalyst, but you can call me Arca! Welcome to Mage Meadowbrook’s potion emporium, how can I help you today?”

Emerald Essence felt her inner anger rising, but tried to keep her cool. “Arcane. Might I ask what you are doing this far from your little eyesore of a shop in Rainbow Falls?”

The stallion smiled innocently. “I'm visiting my family, of course!” He paused, putting a hoof to his chin in thought. “Wait… how did you know I live in Rainbow Falls? Are you a psychic pony or something? That's so cool! What am I thinking of now?” He appeared to concentrate, only for Emerald to stomp her hoof and snap him out of his focusing.

“I am NOT a psychic! Don't you know who I am?”

Arca leaned in, analyzing Emerald in various ways. He stood up and walked a few circles around her, his gaze flicking across all commonly identifiable traits of unique ponies: Cutiemark, mane color and style, height, muzzle and eye shape…

“...Nah. Sorry, I don't think we've met before. What's your name?”

“Are you as stupid as you are destructive?! It's me, Emerald Essence! I run a massive chain of jewelry stores and one's right across from your shop!”

Arca smiled a welcoming grin. “Oh, okay! Nice to meet you, miss Essence!”

“WE'VE MET EACH OTHER AT LEAST SEVEN TIMES!”

“We have? Sorry, I only remember important ponies.”

Emerald tried to sputter out a response, but only managed to babble incoherently for a moment. “I-I'm important! I'm probably richer and more powerful than some two-bit potion seller like you ever will be!”

“Have you ever bought anything from me?”

“No! Why should I-”

“Then you aren't important enough to remember unless you're a national hero. I can remember all my customers, though.”

“Oh, really?” Emerald sneered. “Who was your two thousand, one hundred and fifty-sixth customer?”

“That’s easy! Shimmer Jewel, a crystal earth pony mare who happened by my shop on a diplomatic mission.”

“Who was your first competitor?”

“Oddly enough, my first rival in the business was a potion seller named, ‘Potion Seller’. Pretty accurate name, if I had to judge, but he lost a lot of sales because he kept refusing to sell his strongest potions to adventurers.”

“Who runs the jewelry store named, ‘Emerald Essence’s Treasure Chest’, that's right across from your store in Rainbow Falls?”

“There's a jewelry store near Alchemiracles? Since when?”

Emerald stomped the floor angrily with a hoof.
“RRGH! You bucking imbicile! Let's try it this way. Say, ‘Emerald’,” she began with the tone of a parent trying to teach a foal their first words.

“Emerald.”

“Now say ‘Essence’.”

“Essence.”

“Now put those two words together.”

“Emerald Essence.”

“Good! Now what's my name?”

“I'm pretty sure you said it was Cucumber Valet.”

“AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH! That's it, I don't care if I have to take the eight hour train ride to Canterlot, I will find an alchemy shop you don't work at to get my prescriptions filled, because I REFUSE TO BUY FROM YOU!”

“Aw, that's a shame, miss Thesaurus. Do take care, and have a nice day!”

“BUCK YOU!” and she slammed the door on the way out, rattling several vials amidst the nearby shelves.

The silence didn't last long, as Meadowbrook came down the stairs, her soft voice soothing the tension in the air. “Arca? I heard a commotion, who was that?”

“I forget.”

Author's Note:

Did you forget this story is comedy?
Because this story is comedy.

PreviousChapters Next