• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,378 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,378

PreviousChapters Next
Judgement and Comics

The crowd in front of the podium had barely moved in the thirty minutes Arca, Razzle, and Celestia had been gone. The only major difference was that Emerald Essence was being glared at by royal guards to make sure she didn't leave. Not that she planned to run away, though. She had to minimize the damages and head for the best outcome for her. She was working on a plan when without warning, an orange meteor shot down from the mountains and crashed into the back of Alchemiracles. Razzle swooped down to help, and Celestia landed on the stage with one of her classic 'I am not angry, just disappointed' faces. Showtime.

"Your majesty, I-"

"Silence. Not one word until Arcane gets here."

Luna rolled her eyes at Celestia. "Thou art still sticking to the rules of a fair trial, sister? Dost thou really think he will sit still for any amount of time?"

That earned her a wink and a smile from the solar alicorn. "I have my ways."

Meanwhile, the door to Alchemirackes opened and Arca trotted out in a new lab coat and goggles, seemong pleased with himself. Juniper was the first to rush over and trot alongside him. "Boss! What happened? How long have you-"

"So... I kinda forgot how to land. It happens, Juniper! I'm more worried that the town won't accept me now, but I trust Celestia." He paused for a second, then added, "If… if you don't wanna be around me because of what you saw, I won't blame you…"

"Are you kidding, boss? This changes nothing! You're still the same pony. It just means you have a few new ways to wreck the town every other week, and we're used to that! Geez, I can practically hear Silver adding to the lists already…" Juniper glaned away from her mentor, and noticed they had wandered somewhere other than the main stage where Celestia was still waiting. "Um… Boss?"

"Yeah, Juniper?"

"Why are we in Razzle's yard? Princess Celestia is over there."

"I know. Unlike most ponies, I have my priorities in order." He glanced around the various tables Razzle had set up for the exchange, and seemed to be growing worried. "Wait, where did it go?!"

From across the crowd, Celestia held up a certain comic book. "Looking for this, Arcane?" And with those words, Arca galloped off towards the stage, leaving behind an apprentice who wasn't sure whether to groan or facehoof. Deciding to avoid squeezing his way through the crowd and the guards, he simply teleported, appearing in a flash of light at Celestia's hooves, sitting politely while his tail wagged like a dog being told it was time for a walk.

"I love you. You are best princess. Whatever you want me to say, just gimmie the comic!" His expression fell as Celestia shook her head. "Pleeeeeease? I need it!"

"Behave, and answer my questions, Arca, and it's yours. Deal?"

"Ugh, fine. I'll go stand over by Luna…" Slowly, he moped over, clearly upset he'd not be reading anytime soon. He shuffled over to the pair of thrones the princesses were supposed to sit in, hopped onto Celestia's seat without a second thought, and summoned up a bottle of apple juice. With a crazy straw. Sluuuuuurrrrrrp.

Celestia shook her head. Some things never change, she thought to herself. "Ignoring my close friend's… eccentricities, which I'm sure most of this town is quite skilled at," she began, "I must ask why you hit Arcane. He may have his…" She glanced back. Sluuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp. "...quirks, but he's a wonderful pony and the town wouldn't have the same energy it does if he wasn't here. If you had just moved here and didn't know, that I'd gladly excuse as long as you apologized, but thanks to the file you provided, I can see you've been here long enough to know that-" Sluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrr- "ARCANE! Will you please stop making noise with your apple juice?! I am trying to be a leader here!"

Arca blinked a few times, looked down at his nearly empty bottle of juice, and then back at the princess. "Sorry, Celestia," he responded with genuine regret. "Would you prefer grape juice instead? Or maybe orange juice?"

"Put it away, Arca. Now then, as I was saying, unless you've been actively avoiding him, you should know that he's ageless like I am, extremely wealthy, a founding member of the town, and not about to do whatever noisy thing he was about to do…" Celestia glared back at Arca, who had somehow acquired a bowl of nachos and was moments from biting down on one. He sheepishly grinned and shoved the bowl over to Luna, chomping down on the chip with a loud CRUNCH. "...regardless, most of your claims about his 'lies' are actually truth. So why, pray tell, are you after him? As princess of Equestria, I don't take too kindly to the alicorn of Innovation being hurt."

"Does that mean I'm in trouble for crashing earlier?"

"You hurting yourself accidentally doesn't count."

Emerald took a step forward. "Princess, in all due respect, I don't think anypony in town knew he was an alicorn. Does… does that make him a prince?"

"No, he is not a prince. He's my personal alchemist, though."

Emerald sighed. She really, really, really didn't want to do this, but to minimize damages it had to be done. She took a few reluctant steps forward and looked at the pony who had caused her so much stress. "You don't even remember my name, do you?"

Arca set down his bag of pretzels and shrugged. "Sounds like we don't really know each other. Although… now that I get a good look at you, I swear I've sensed your magical signature before. Hmmm… maybe I'm overthinking it. I'm Arcane Catalyst, but most folks call me Arca! If I haven't told you before, I'm cursed to forget folks who don't buy from my shop, so if you want something not too expensive for one bit so I can remember you, just let me know! It's a one-time deal."

"Really? A curse? I suppose… that almost makes sense." Emerald took another look at Arca. Maybe, she thought, she didn't know him as well as she thought. Maybe he'd be a good business partner, or an ally. Maybe-

Suddenly, Arca looked up from his nachos he had reclaimed from Luna. "Oh yeah, now I remember! You're the pony who barged into my lab and tried casting the forbidden spell Dominion on me to get me to sell my shop! That was it! Hey, where'd you learn dark magic? Do you know any dark potion recipes? I never learned any of those, and I bet they're super dangerous and probably illegal but I bet Celestia would let me try anyway and hey where'd she go?" He noticed some guards dragging off an infuriated Emerald Essence, a flicker of dark power in her eyes held at bay by the suppression ring affixed to her horn. "Hey, wait! I have so many questions! And I don't even know your name! Come baaaack!"

Celestia, who was glaring at Emerald alongside the guard escort, noticed Arca galloping towards them and pulled her trump card to buy enough time to get Emerald away: she tossed the comic book. She spared one last glance at her scatterbrained friend doing a happy dance over the rare find, and then looked back at Emerald. "Miss Essence, I'm going to go over all the business deals you company has made that seem to favor you, and investigate them all for dark magic interference. After that, you are going to jail for a long, long time."

Author's Note:

"Boss, are you really just gonna give up on that knowledge for a comic?"

"I told you, Juniper, I have my priorities straight!"

PreviousChapters Next