• Published 4th Dec 2018
  • 7,388 Views, 2,810 Comments

The Potion Shop - Ashfur



There's a secluded potion shop in a small little town. Its owner is... eccentric.

  • ...
12
 2,810
 7,388

PreviousChapters Next
Girl talk

Juniper Berry woke up, the rays of the morning sun streaming into her apartment. The weather schedule said today was going to be clear, she knew that already. So, she trotted to her door, grabbed the morning paper, and ate her breakfast. The most important part of the paper was the small blurb on the back side of the front page: it had a forecast. Not a weather forecast, mind you, nopony would need one with how adept the pegasi are at weather control. No, this was the Arca forecast. A nice little percentage based on how long ago the last fiasco was. Whether said fiasco would be minor, like a potion malfunction, or major, like The Duck, was anypony's guess. Juniper just hoped today wasn't the day every few months when the highest level of disaster struck: Arca saying he was bored.

Thankfully, as she walked into Alchemiracles, nothing was amiss. Razzle Dazzle was working the register, casually chatting with a customer who happened to be a fan of her modeling. Most folk still couldn't wrap their heads around the idea that an ageless, independently wealthy supermodel any company would beg for had willingly tightened her client list just to work at a potion shop.

Juniper waited for the customer to leave, satisfied with whatever they had acquired, before striking up a conversation. "Where's Arca?"

"Good morning to you too, Juniper. He's in his lab, brewing some potions to restock the shelves. Which thankfully means a low chance of explosions."

"Thank Celestia for that."

Luna, in her illusory disguise as the pegasus Star Chaser, glanced over from where she was sitting by the window, reading an alchemy textbook. "We shall be sure to pass thy gratitude along to sister, although we believe she had no hoof in this." She paused for a moment, casting her gaze over Razzle. "By the way, Razzle. Where did thine horn go?" It was a valid question, really. Ever since Razzle's true identity as the last succupony had been revealed, she had been unashamed to walk out in public with her batlike wings and two demonic horns on her head, which she had previously kept meticulously hidden under her mane for decades. But before the reveal, she had been a unicorn.

"Oh, that?" She giggled. "Very convincing fake horn. I can hide my wings just fine, but I've been wearing a fake horn for way too long. I figure, with the news out and you and your sister having made a statement that I'm trustworthy, why bother wearing it?"

"A valid point."

Juniper chimed in as well. "By the way, any luck on getting Arca to consider a relationship with you? I'm getting tired of Meadowbrook asking me if you two are planning grandfoals for her every time she visits."

That earned a groan from the supermodel. "Nope. I thought he'd finally fallen for me last week when he asked me for a date, but he meant the fruit. I'm still playing the long game, though. He's thick."

"You mean dense?"

"Maybe."

"Good morning, Juniper, Razzle, and Moon-Princess-Boss! How are you all doing today?" The door to the lab clicked open, and Arca finally emerged, wearing a beekeeper outfit. With his lab coat draped over the top of it, of course.

"Speaking of my sweet Arcie-warkie… good morning! We were just having some mare talk while business was slow." Razzle paused, then added, "...What's the outfit for this time?"

"Flash bees! Their honey is pretty useful in healing potions so I wanted to try raising some in the mountains. Got an apiary set up and everything. It's really hard to focus on potions with this beekeeper outfit on, though. Because of the bees."

Juniper tilted her head to one side, confused. "Uh, boss, if the beehive is in one of your gardens up the mountain, why are you wearing a beekeeping outfit in the lab?"

"To keep the bees."

"...boss. Are… are you keeping the bees IN the outfit?"

"They're really itchy. Makes it hard to focus. I had to make a batch of ironskin potions first so they'd stop stinging me! But I've brewed up batches of all the potions we needed to restock, all 25 of them! I'm just finishing up the last batch now, then I'll take the bees home. Jazz music seems to keep them calm."

"Boss, the idea of a beekeeping suit is to keep the bees OUT of the suit so they don't sting you."

Arca blinked a few times. A stray bee crawled across his snout. "OOOOOOHHHHHHH. I wondered why I needed this when they don't bother anyone wearing a traditional healer's mask like mom's. That makes so much more sense!" There was a flash of light from Arca's horn, and he teleported a few feet forward, leaving an Arca-shaped swarm of flash bees buzzing around in the open. "Can you girls keep an eye on them while I finish the last potion? Thanks."

Arca calmly walked back into his lab, humming to himself. He wondered why his employees were suddenly screaming, but chalked it up to mares being mares.

Meanwhile, Juniper and Razzle were both hiding under an impromptu shield bubble cast by Luna. "We think this may be a violation of some kind of safety law," Luna remarked. It was a miracle they hadn't gotten stung. "Shall we continue this discussion anywhere else?" She questioned as she summoned another shield to capture the remaining bees.

Juniper smiled. "I got a better idea." With a mischievous glint in her eye, she took the bubble full of bees and opened the lab door. "Boss! We're taking our lunch break, can you watch the bees?" She tossed them in, and locked the door just as the shield bubble burst. "We're taking the rest of the day off, you two. Shall we hit the spa?"

"JUNIPER, HELP! THERE'S A SWARM OF BEES IN THE LAB AND NONE OF THEM ARE WEARING LAB COATS OR GOGGLES AND I DON'T HAVE ANY IN THEIR SIZE!"

The mares decided to go have a spa day.

Author's Note:

A bit of worldbuilding/filler today. It's rare, but Arca can be inconvenienced from time to time.

Bees? -Cards against equinity

PreviousChapters Next