• Published 9th Jul 2018
  • 3,710 Views, 998 Comments

Consequences - shallow15



Things come to a head as recent events bring Sunset Shimmer and her friends in conflict with a government agent and something angry lurking in the woods outside Canterlot City

  • ...
11
 998
 3,710

PreviousChapters
Repercussions, Consequences, and the Days That Followed

Firecracker Burst's funeral was held the following Saturday. The turnout from Canterlot High was substantial. Everyone said it was a lovely service, and offered their condolences to Blazing Spark and Shiny Stars. Firecracker's parents nodded and smiled and said all the right things.

Sunset Shimmer watched from a distance as the funeral began to break up. That was it. It was finally over. Soon, the coffin would be in the ground, Firecracker's parents would finally say goodbye to their late daughter, and the entire nightmare of the last few weeks would be behind everyone involved.

“I'm surprised you didn't come with your friends.”

Sunset blinked and turned to find Gardenia Glow standing next to her. Firecracker's girlfriend ran a hand through her hair. “I didn't see you at the service at the church.”

“I was in the back of the room,” Sunset explained. “I thought it'd be better if I just hid in the crowd. Didn't want to agitate her parents again.”

Gardenia nodded. “I can see that.”

They stood there in silence, watching as the funeral attendees went their separate ways. After a while, Firecracker's parents began to walk away from the grave site, leaving the coffin behind.

“So, who's in there?” Gardenia asked, nodding at the coffin.

“As far as I know, no one,” Sunset answered. There hadn't been anything left of Firecracker to bury.

“That fed help you set all this up?”

“Mm-hmm.”

“How did you arrange that?”

“Helped her solve another case she was working on,” Sunset said. Not the whole truth, but Gardenia didn't really need to know or necessarily care about that. “In return, we got her off our backs, and she helped arrange all... this.”

Gardenia nodded again. “So what does the world at large think happened to her?”

“Accident in the woods. She went for a hike and slipped off a cliff.”

Gardenia finally turned her head to look at Sunset. “That's pretty thin.”

“Tempest said the simpler the story, the better,” said Sunset. “Less chance of it unraveling.”

Gardenia let out a sound of assent. “I suppose that makes sense.”

The two of them stood for a moment, watching as the coffin was lowered into the grave. Sunset turned her own head to look at Gardenia.

“Did you get your sister set up with your aunt?” she asked.

“Next week. She's staying with me for now. We had that funeral while you were... gone.”

Sunset nodded. “I should probably go.”

“Yeah,” said Gardenia. “Me too.”

The two of them began to walk away from each other. After a few steps, Sunset turned around.

“Gardenia!”

Gardenia paused, and looked back over her shoulder. “What is it, Sunset?”

Sunset opened her mouth, closed it, then opened it again. “Good luck, Gardenia.”

Gardenia looked at her then walked back. “I tried to kill myself because of you. Did you know that?”

Sunset swallowed and nodded. “Yeah. Firecracker told Rarity. Rarity told me. I don't know what to say. Nothing sounds right.”

“Then don't say anything, because honestly, I don't want to hear it. You hurt me, Sunset Shimmer. You hurt me in a way that you can't fix. But, like I said before, I forgive you for all of that. And if this really is all over, then let's just say goodbye and try very hard to never see each other again.”

Sunset swallowed again and nodded. Gardenia let out a sigh through her nose, turned, and walked away.


Sunday, the girls convened at Rarity's house to help her move back to her upstairs bedroom from the downstairs guest room where she'd been sleeping since her paralysis. It didn't take long, since there was no furniture moving involved. Within a couple of hours, all seven of them were eating pizza and relaxing. Rarity had excused herself a few minutes before. As Applejack and Rainbow Dash began arguing over who would get the last slice of pizza, she came back into the room, carrying a large white garment box.

Rarity sat down on the bed next to Sunset and placed the box on her lap. Sunset looked down at the box in confusion.

“What's this?”

Rarity smiled. “Just a little something I've been working on for you during the last couple of weeks. Go try it on!”

“What, without looking at it?”

“Surprise us all, darling!” Rarity insisted. “I think it's some of my best work to date.”

“Well, if you insist.” Sunset got up from the bed and went into Rarity's huge walk in closet.

“What did you make her?” Applejack asked.

“Remember when you two were planning to go to Klugetown?” Rarity asked. “Sunset said she was having doubts about wearing her old outfit. I thought maybe a change was in order.”

As if on cue, the bedroom door opened and Sunset walked in. The girls let out assorted noises of approval and surprise.

Sunset was dressed in an orange top that left her shoulders bare. Her cutie mark was stenciled onto the front and accented with glitter. A magenta skirt was wrapped around her hips and featured two buckles that held it in place. A black studded belt separated the two items. A matching pair of black ankle boots with similar studded straps were on her feet.

But the capper was the leather vest with gold studs on the collar and lapels. The entire ensemble said tough, but friendly. Sunset herself was grinning from ear to ear. Tears were visible in the corner of her eyes.

“Do you like it, darling?” Rarity asked.

“It's perfect!” Sunset cheered. “How did you do this?”

“When we talked about your old outfit, I noticed that you still had a little nostalgia for it, so I thought perhaps you needed something similar, but different. So I simply reversed the colors of the top and bottom, letting everyone know that you've turned yourself around. I made things a little more open, making you seem more inviting. And right there...” Rarity pointed at Sunset's chest. “Your insignia.”

“Cutie mark,” Sunset automatically corrected.

Rarity smiled. “Either way, darling. You mentioned something about accepting it again, so it seemed time to start wearing it openly.”

Sunset came forward and hugged her friend. “Thank you so much!”

Rarity returned the hug. And soon, Sunset found herself surrounded by her friends in another group hug. After a few moments, they separated and went back to chatting, goofing around, and other assorted activities.

Sunset glanced at herself in her new outfit again in the mirror. It felt good. Another crisis had been dealt with, and they had all come out of it stronger than ever. She felt like she could take on anything the world, or the magic, could throw at her.

Suddenly, there was a loud pounding sound and the door to the bedroom burst open, revealing a very flushed and disheveled Princess Twilight Sparkle. She looked at the group with a crazed eye.

“WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP?!” she yelled, concern in her voice. The other girls looked at her, then at each other, then burst out laughing. Princess Twilight blinked, then stared at them, one eye twitching.

“Did I miss something?” she asked.

Sunset waved her into the room. “Come on in, Princess. I think we've all got a lot to catch each other up on.”


“And that's it?” asked the interim director of STORM over the sound system in Tempest's rental car.

“Yes, ma'am. They've agreed to the informal reports now that the funeral has been taken care of.”

“Good, I'm glad.”

“Anything else we need out here, ma'am?” Tempest asked.

“No, head back to the office tomorrow, Tempest. I think we're done in Canterlot City for a while. Thank you.”

“Thank you, Director Shimmer.”

Tempest ended the call and pulled out into traffic.

PreviousChapters
Comments ( 52 )

And that's it! Thanks for sticking with me through this very long1 strange trip.


1 Seriously, this is now officially the longest single story I've ever written.

Did...did I read that right? :pinkiegasp:
Interim Director Shimmer!?

Thank you, Director Shimmer.

EXCUSE ME?! FSWDBOKDDSXFDTOFHDXRGSDGGF

Loved this story so much, and it's been a pleasure reading it and riding the rollercoaster to this point. Thanks for the good read :twilightsmile:

Now if you excuse me, going back to my hammer-to-the-brain nonsense after that major drop. Hehdgfcikkhsadgt CV if GH yet @_@

10666816
Is there going to be more and the fuck is that director shimmer nonsense :rainbowlaugh:

To be honest this ending feels kind of rushed and there are a lot of things I would have liked to see that we just seem to have skiped over but overall I still enjoyed it.

10666868
It sort of makes sense, in hindsight.

Maybe another reason Tempest dug further into Equestria Sunset Shimmer specifically is because the Human world Sunset Shimmer was a STORM co-worker or supervisor of Tempest?

I burst out laughing at that ending. Hey Sunny.

Happy sigh.

Almost 37 months’ worth of story is over. It’s been an amazing ride. I wasn’t here since the beginning, but I’ve stuck to your side since I found this gem. I’ve loved this story, and this trilogy. Thank you so much, shallow15, for all this. I look forward to any future projects of yours. Time to take this story off the Tracking bookshelf.

I need to address the elephant in the room. Director Shimmer? This took me aback. I was expecting a surprise, but not that kind of surprise.

I had a feeling that Director Shimmer would appear at some point seeing as Storm King mentioned early on that her name might have rung a bell. I thought it may have been Lightning Dust but she's probably not qualified to be in the hot seat yet.

As for the ending, I kinda dig it. With all that money funneling into STORM I thought for sure there'd be a huge government conspiracy but on the surface, it looks like the corruption was limited to STORM and a few possible outliers. I do wish there were a few more scenes though, some with the rest of the girls, one that shows what charges/convictions Storm King and his ilk face, if any, and the fate of the Sirens.

Still, even though this trilogy came off a bit dry at times, It's near the top of my stack for the simple fact that I had no idea what would happen next after every chapter. Suspense like that takes a certain talent to get right, and I commend you for that.

WHHHHHHHHAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT that was a twist

“Thank you, Director Shimmer.”

Da Fuq‽

Solidly great 8/10 story. Nice hanging plot thread if this trilogy ever becomes a quadrilogy.

Oh, that is NOT good.

“Thank you, Director Shimmer.”

Oh my god. Didn't see that one coming. :rainbowlaugh:
Wonder if this announces something :rainbowderp:

I liked the ending. It was certainly rushed, mostly the previous chapter, but it was still good. I loved the funeral scene, the epic Princess Twilight entrance :twilightoops: and Susnet new ouffit.

A great trilogy. You can be proud of it. And thank you for writting it and sharing it with us. Until next time.

“Thank you, Director Shimmer.”

Well, now there's a neat little ending twist.

Thanks for the story!

Do I smell a potential cliffhanger?

To be honest I was expecting either human starlight glimmer or Sunset Shimmer to be revealed. Nice way of letting it hang open. You could easily leave it at that, or even have another story or even let the next story be done by others and yet you could still do it yourself too. Talking about blowing off the roof.

I understand that you have completed this trilogy of stories, but I do hope that you plan to return to this universe, I can see that there are more stories to tell.

I... have to admit I felt a little emotional here.

I know I say it a lot, but this trilogy, and you, Erin, are responsible for inspiring me to write. I cannot overstate what a life-changer it has been for me. For my self-confidence as a person and confidence in my wit. The Repercussions Trilogy was a wild and unforgettable ride for me, and I enjoyed every last chapter of it.

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you for writing this.

That was awesome! Talk about a wild ride! Great job!

10666824
You and me both.

Thus ends an incredible story. Excellent work! :pinkiehappy:

I've truly enjoyed my stay and I'm glad I've witnessed the beginning of some stories but read all of them until the end.

I remember when I first read Repercussions, and how capitvated I was by it.
It was just before the final chapters so I had time to read before learning Firecracker was the culprit (the feeling of dread and what could happen to the girls was omnipresent for me, even before Rarity and Pinkie injuries).

That's why I loved the next stories (especially when lot of feels are involved 😊).
The chapters of Consequences did not feel any different, and I'm satisfied of what we got.

I hope that everyone who stuck with Erin and any of his stories, as I did since Repercussions, appreciated too Consequences' ending.

I'll definitely re-read some, and wait for your future updates/works.

Thank you.

Need a third (fourth?) entry with Sunset meeting Director Shimmer. Could be Cosmo trying payback, cryptid situation requires assistance from STORM, whatever, just please, Erin! We need it!

Well that was a fantastic read. The falling action almost felt a little rushed, but it worked. Feels like everyone keeps on living after the fact.

Standing ovation.

My word this trilogy has been nothing but amazing from start to finish, I have absolutely enjoyed each story so much and I have to say congratulations on finaly bringing it to an end, I especially like how it leaves the possibility for more and even if there isn't it's still a satisfying end, 10/10. Thank you for all the work you put into these stories.:twilightsmile:

“Thank you, Director Shimmer.”

oh my .....

now this is a moment that can be written on if this wasnt supposed to be a trilogy.


But anyway i have read this since the first part of the trilogy Repercusssions and all i have to say is bravo it was a Story that i was looking forward to each time it got an update

This trilogy was simply superb!!!! I spent the week reading all of it and it kept me to the edge of my seat!
Well done :)

Well, read the whole trilogy.
Now what do I do with my life?

Seems a bit abrupt, epilogue…. Maybe??? Would love to see where girls are at a little bit down the line.

MAKE A SEQUEL OF SUNSET SHIMMER MEETING DIRECTOR SUNSET SHIMMER,PLEASE!

Loved reading this trilogy! Hope to see you follow up on it some day.

If you plant to END things - you should NOT make "sequel hooks". I call bullcrap. Until you actually follow up - this remaines disliked.

11687625
then you kill her insteaqd. this was highly illegal

11687832
Kill HER instead? What? I do not understand what you are talking about.

Situation. Glitter Drops(female), Spring Rain(male), Cantata Luster(female), Director(male).
Glitter helps Cantata escape. Rain killed Cantata, Glitter TRIED to stop Rain, got shot by Director.

Rain has orders to kill Cantata at a point in time. Here is what Spring Rain KNOWS.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/414158/78/consequences/the-agent-the-river-and-the-escape
Director has no problem LYING. He said to Rain, that whatever happens - Cantata DIES. Spring also heard the whole exchange. Both Director's orders, and what was said in the confrontation. That Cantata is innocent, she has no value, whatever. The thing is, from my understanding, SPRING RAIN could only see THREE TARGETS. TWO FEMALE(Glitter, Cantata), ONE MALE(Director). But then again, he sold them out even before that, if Director is not lying about that...

"Kill HER INSTEAD". You mean kill Glitter, INSTEAD of Cantata?
The thing is, if Spring Rain did NOT kill ANYONE, HE would have been KILLED INSTEAD. He saw how RUTHLESS Director was. He KNEW someone was DYING, he just chose it to not be him. Doesn't change the fact that he squealed, but that's small beans.

11687857
Sorry been awhile since i read bit the whole.issue is people not telling the director no.

11687985
Yes, and Director will KILL you, if you tell him "no". Do you understand? He was willing to kill a woman, that was RUNNING, JUST RUNNING. Unsoburdination? Good luck surviving telling that Director NO.

11688327
For what? Spring Rain doesn't have a good enough reason to kill him. He(Spring Rain) is afraid for his life, but not nearly to turn on the whole GOD DAMN ORGANISATION. There are... How many people there? Glitter and Cantata trying to run, and Director enters with TWO guards. ONE of them is Spring. So yeah. The second agent can either kill one of them(Glitter, Cantata, Spring), or he can flee, and say that there are THREE targets for murder of Director. Good luck running THEN.

11688633
"Breaking the law"? What do you mean?! Law doesn't matter when:
1) You are part of organisation that wants to remove constinution. As in, BASIC law, protecting citizens.
2) Your LIFE is being in danger. Tell me one thing. If you are part of a cult, or a terrorist organisation - can you QUIT? CAN YOU QUIT?


No, you can NOT. Your life will be under threat. They will FIND you, and KILL YOU. If they cannot find YOU, your LOVED ONES will be NEXT on the f*cking list. How long will you try to find a solution? When you are a part of an EXTREMIST movement(doesn't matter that it was not MEANT to be such, DIRECTOR made it so) - you can't just WALK AWAY. This is not an OPTION.

Lughtning Dust, and few other agents took down the Director, when they heard how all the blackmail against Stomrking was saved one a cloud service. They would be safe then. Also, do I need to quote Spring Rain, when he said his REASON to OBEYING this guy?!?!

“Wake up!” Rain shouted back. “No one says no to the Director! You know that! If I hadn't, I'd have wound up just like her eventually! I'm sorry I did it, but I had no choice!”

This chapter:
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/414158/82/consequences/chaos-anarchy-and-choices
If you are a COG, a GRUNT, you do NOT fight what TYRANT, the DEVIL in charge SAYS. Because if you DO fight it - you f*cking DIE!!!!



Law doesn't matter - if your life is on the line.

11688633
If you are saying to kill Stormking for breaking the law... PROVE IT. Prove that you had a REASON to assacinate a leader of an ELITE GROUP, that had favor of MANY members of CONGRESS, POLITITIANS and whatever else. Good luck proving that YOU are not just a MURDERER. You are going into jail for LIFE. All because you THOUGHT that Stomrking was breaking some laws, that you can't PROVE. As in - you don't have PHYSICAL DOCUMENTS or OBJECTS that PROVE whatever you are SAYING.


For government you just killed a very effective leader of a good cleanup crew, that got rid of many problems, that government does NOT need.

11688659
when they are breaking the law to the point of murder. YES. we have laws for a reason and he is violating every one of them

11688698
I give up. You don't understand how these things work, you don't know how FEAR works. You just REFUSE to understand. Stormking is COMPETENT. He's not the best evil guy, but he is COMPETENT. Up to THIS point, where he met magical defenders - everything went HIS WAY. He knows how to run a military operation, and he knows how to either survie his own enemies, or how to deal with them BEFORE they even TRY to kill him. You think he never had any OPPOSITION?!

You can't JUST KILL your f*cking Director, regardless of what sh*t he does. You can't gather proof, you will dissapear before you can get it out, or you try to confront him, and you... Still dissapear. Sure, you MIGHT KILL HIM, but without proof you will be on the run from the law FOREWER. Because, to the world, you just killed a high ranking CIA director, or something. You are an enemy agent, or whatever.

11688940
Ues you can, you will pay a price.for but yes you can.

Athis place is based of the is so is laws apply. He has held a citizen in custody with oit a lawyer or trial amd deicdes to kill her. That is so many laws viotsted doing that. He should have been removed long ago. This is what the 2nd amaendment is all about.

11689054
You... ARe SUCH A MORON.

Law doesn't mean SHIT, if you can't PROVE ANYTHING!!!! He had BLACKMAIL on MANY POLITITIANS. On MANY people in POWER, you, f*cking dumbass!!! Give me a minute. I'm going to go over the whole fucking story, and QUOTE what Stomrking has DONE, and what POWER over LEGAL SYSTEM he HAD!!!!

11689320
Thus why i said shoot him. He clearly doesn't care about it and is a power hungry twat. Again this is storm king. Hell she can shoot him and lie aboit why he died.

11689327
And that makes YOU the BAD GUY. The world now has it out for YOU. You have choice. Continue your JOB that PAYS. Or you can shoot the director, and be forever on the run from LAW. I mean, not that they were doing good things, but STORM organisation had you covered. Or you can now be on the run forever, from all the secret organisations, as you are a known criminal, that killed a Director of a secret organisation. Good fucking luck LIVING. No job, no income, no permanent house... Hideouts, stealing or actual crime work. And I doubt regular crime will take you, not with such HEAT on YOU.

Or you can go to prison. Possibly for life, as, again, you murdered a director of a secret organisation, that had it's hand in MANY cookie jars.

11689330
No HE is the bad guy. He killed a civie without she had rights.

She was not following the law so his life is forfeit since as a government director he should no better amd he does bit does not care. Thus he earns death.

11689343
You are a DUMBASS.

Courts. Media. Everyone on the street. They think that you are a bad guy, because you have NO FUCKING PROOF. WHY did you kill Director of STORM? He killed a civilian? He was PLANNING to kill a civilian? Records? Documents? Video recording from a camera? WITNESSES(the one other person, that is NOT dead, is a Stormking LOYALIST. Or he just thinks HE is doing the right thing, by making YOU take the fall)?

You are SUCH an idiot...

Login or register to comment